Comics ASM #548 (Spoilers)

Didn't know there was a separate thread for the latest issue. But here's my thoughts from the Brand New Day thread.

YES!!

It is good to be a Spider-Man fan right now. With the first month of Brand New Day down the tubes I'd say it was extremely successful.

First I'll start off with what I love about this all so far.

The artwork has been absolutely perfect. McNiven was really knocking it out of the park and I'm REALLY going to freakin' miss him. It was too short lived. But that is the price you pay for a, basically, weekly book.

Slott's pacing, side stories, and ability to cover the spectrum of Spidey's world in one issue is always amazing. It's Slott's strong point. It's why She-Hulk and Avengers Initiative are so well done. Pete's struggle to find a job. The Spider-mugger getting his webshooter, and now possibly his identity. JJJ having a heart attack. Harry Osborn and the two new female leads. The red head's name escapes me but she seems to be a mainstay supporting character as she got some panel time in the latest issue. And, of course, the Mr. Negative storyline and his vendetta against the Karnelli family.

Old school Spidey feel that takes me back to why I read Spider-Man in the first place. The villain lost but he didn't COMPLETELY lose. I loved that he used the girl as hostage to get Spider-Man's blood. And the reveal of who Mr. Negative really is definitely sends shivers down the spine. It had old school written all over it with that Slott flavor that I love.

Now to my gripes over the new status change...

I'm a continuity hound and I have to admit that it's bugging me to no end that we aren't getting a more concrete idea of what's STILL IN continuity and what's OUT of continuity. Did the Clone Saga happen still? If it did is Ben Reilly STILL alive? What about little Normie? There are so many continuity questions that are still very much up in the air. At least in my opinion.

Secondly, what the hell is up with Mary Jane? You went to all this trouble and through all of this contreversey to end the marriage and we DON'T see Mary Jane at all? We saw her in the end of One More Day but, I don't think we've seen one glimpse of her in Brand New Day. At all. The consensus seems to believe that she's the new Jackpot character. I REALLY hope that's not the case and that it's the new red head that was introduced. Would make a little more sense. But it would be nice to have MJ mentioned and shown a bit to at least see how she is doing. I wouldn't just ignore her character. Eh.

But overall I'm absolutely pleased with the way the story has been going. Of course One More Day was a bad storyline. Of course it seemed extremely forced and it didn't seem like there was respect for the marriage at all from the editorial department. But if it bothers you that much than don't read the book and hit them where it hurts. Me? I wasn't disrespected because I really don't take my comic book reading that seriously. I just want great artwork, a great writer, and a solid story. I was upset with One More Day because those three elements weren't there. At least together. But with Brand New Day I'm getting EVERYTHING I want. Fantastic artwork by Steve McNiven. UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING writing from Dan Slott. And the new storylilne has been tighter than a virgin with a great twist for the next Amazing team to take next month into a new level of awesomeness.

I'm really enjoying this, great job Slott and McNiven. Can't wait to see you back, Dan!

I read this issue last night and I know some people said that they saw the identity of Mr. Negative from a mile away, but I honestly did not see it coming. It was a surprise to me, which I found enjoyable. I'm going to continue reading ASM since I pretty much started after Civil War finished. But honestly, I'm enjoying USM much more than ASM right now.

Re: 548- Liked Mr Negative as a villain but thought it was pretty stupid the way Spidey just handed over his blood to him, I reckon he is going to regret that.

Liked Spidey's wise cracks, particularly the one about urban vigilantes and skylights. I liked McNiven's art- fine indeed and Slott wrote a really fun to read back to basics Spidey. Takes you back to why you read Spidey in the first place= FUN. Too bad they had to ass rape the comic to get here.

The status quo sucks, not really feeling that Harry's presence.. In fact it really irritates me. He is dead already! Argghhh. Oh well, for an out of continuity Spidey book it's a mighty fun and I'm looking forward to Menace and the next mini arc. Not going to be buying anytime soon though.

I'd like to see Black Cat sometime soon instead of Jackpot the lame knock off.
Anyway I'm a little boozed up, and perhaps not as articulate as usual so I'l stop.
Heh.

I might be the only who's head this went over, even though I loved the issue, one small thing that irked me was when Mr Neg's henchmen went after Spidey at the circus, they were spouting some corny lines like "Curses he'll foil our evil plan" which came across as being a bit cheesy. Well after checking out some other sites they brought this up also but apparently, and I didn't realize it, this "corny dialogue" was intentional to keep people in their seats and make them believe it was part of the show. Now it makes more sense! The issue just graduated to a perfect 10. :up:

I might be the only who's head this went over, even though I loved the issue, one small thing that irked me was when Mr Neg's henchmen went after Spidey at the circus, they were spouting some corny lines like "Curses he'll foil our evil plan" which came across as being a bit cheesy. Well after checking out some other sites they brought this up also but apparently, and I didn't realize it, this "corny dialogue" was intentional to keep people in their seats and make them believe it was part of the show. Now it makes more sense! The issue just graduated to a perfect 10. :up:

I did spot that, and kind of chuckled at it. If that's the official explanation, I just love it.

Cool, I didn't spot that, and now I'm happier too :up:

Lol... We really are geeks :up::up::up:

they were spouting some corny lines like "Curses he'll foil our evil plan" which came across as being a bit cheesy. Well after checking out some other sites they brought this up also but apparently, and I didn't realize it, this "corny dialogue" was intentional to keep people in their seats and make them believe it was part of the show.

Yeah me too I was surprised when they told this sentence... but then, it hit me that they couldn't say something that stupid... and all the show, the fact that Spideey says "See? Real blood!", made me sure that it was a play. At least it shows that Negative's henchmen have some brain for them :woot:

I really enjoyed the first month of BND, I hope the coming months are as enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"