ASM #548 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by Kirk Langstrom, Jan 23, 2008.

1. moraldeficiency Maxwell's Demon

Well said, personally I loved it but I can understand why blader thinks differently.

2. Dark Spidey Registered

Wow. That's some heavy thinking right there, and you just might be right! :wow: :up:

One thing though, is Norman still working with the Thunderbolts? What with Harry's attitude towards Spidey the past two issues, I had thought that in this new reality Norman was dead! :huh:

3. Dark Spidey Registered

Yeah I really like Mr. Negative. Whenever he talks, in my mind I read it as though his voice sounds somewhat synthasised. Is that how you read it?

As for Jonah's arc, i'm pretty sure it will continue to play in the background during next months change-over. Not sure about Negative though.

Speaking of sub-plots. Any ideas why Dooly didn't take the web-shooter that the Spider-mugger had, after he killed him?

4. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Maybe it was out of fluid and no longer worked?

5. ragingdemon155 Registered

Bought it.

Thought it was...meh. I thought the second issue was actually solid but, I just couldn't feel this issue at all. I don't know...maybe its cause I'm hooked on Spider-girl at the moment and I can't immerse myself into BND.

Whatever the case, the first arc is over and I thought it was decent at best.

6. Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

I applaud you for at least trying it... :up:

I hope you continue to buy the book, but it's cool if you choose not to...

Cheers...

:yay:

7. ragingdemon155 Registered

I am trying. Believe me.

I won't lie though, I wanted to buy these issues so I could start yelling out "They suck, they suck" lol. But they don't. Dan Slott has got skills and I think anyone that has read anything by him knows that. When I read the second issue I was actually laughing at some of the bits and it's been a while since that happened for me in a Spider-man comic.

However,the title stills feels weird as I read it though.

I grew up on Spider-man during the whole "Peter/MJ" era so that's one of the main draw points for me. It always has been. So the book imo feels a bit empty without them.

I do think it's immature that some people criticize the issues without even reading them. I owed it to myself to read it cause well I know this is the direction that Spider-man is heading in for the near future.

3 issues in though and I don't like the "feel" of the title and it's kind of sad coming to the realization that this might not be the title for me.

8. Blader5489 CASUAL SEX!

No, I understand that. I'm just saying the turnaround from trying to kill Peter to saving him was rushed. Some introspection, where we get to see how and why Harry comes to his senses, would have done wonders for the story (and I'm surprised that's not what happened, since introspection was one of the pillars of DeMatteis' writing style). And the actual death was also tacked on, as Harry suddenly died from something out of the blue.

I'm not saying it's a bad story--far from it really--just that it was rushed in getting things done, which is why I don't think it's this great masterpiece everyone else seems to think it is.

9. Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

Well it's good to know that your atleast trying to enjoy it. As for the book feeling empty without Peter & MJ, it defenitley feels different now that MJ isn't there. I'm not saying BND isn't enjoyable because it really is, but MJ was always be in mine and everybody elses hearts. :yay:

10. Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

And let's not forget that MJ will be in the books... it's not like she disappeared... and I'd like to think that at some point further down the road, they will hook up again.

11. Jack O Lantern Mad Jack

Yeah I mean Peter still has a picture of her by his bed.

BTW, Mr Negative said that the poison could kill anyone in Peter's blood line, of course he is the last f the blood line so far, or is he? It just seems strange for Slott to point that out again if it didn't mean nothing.

12. Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

Yeah, I hope for the same, Themanofbat. :yay:

13. Don Yoyo Registered

Some weird family tree as in Ultimate Spider-Man, perharps? Nah, I don't think so, it will be TOO strange!

14. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Not only is Norman still a Thunderbolt, but in the recent issue's letter page,the editor mentions they will be going after Spider-Man very soon....

15. Spider-Gnome Walloping Web-Snappers!

OK, so here are my thoughts on the first arc of BND.

I'll start with the bad. This whole new status quo makes me feel uncomfortable. It feels wrong. I don't like stuff thrown in my face that the marriage is gone, case in point, this issue's variation of the first page "kissing" scene in which Pete thinks how others get to wake up to a beautiful face. Well, you did Pete. Not now. Who's fault is that? (Actually it's Joe Q's) I don't like Harry just being back. The vibe feels uneasy in this new status quo. I feel like I'm cheating by reading it.

The good? Loved the art, though actually not a fan of his Pete and Aunt May ironically. But, love the rest, including Spidey. He gets Spidey's eyes right. I usually determine how I like the art by Spidey eyes. Anyway, I like the realism of his style and it also has a little Gil Kane vibe (a good thing). Also, some of the Spidey stuff has a Ross Andru vibe (also a good thing).

Mr. Negative has a lot of potential (although his id came as a surprise to no one). But I like stories that are mob related, like Spidey of the 80's with Hobgoblin, Kingpin, the Rose, Jack-O-Lantern, etc. (Also like Spider-Girl right now because of the whole Hobgoblin, Ron Frenz thing, it too has that 80's vibe).

I also like that the story right now is not monumental earth shaking. Pete is more in character. But, the bad thing is, they regressed the character. If this was the 70's, then his character is spot on. But, he has grown. He can still have the typical "Parker luck," but the stuff in here is close to being Cliff Clavin loser.

I know Cap wants us to stick to the story and not complain about OMD/BND. But I do wish they will eventually restore things. This whole empty feeling I have while reading could be helped if they kind of made this like Lost and we slowly reveal what's going on, until we finally get Pete and MJ, through their love, fight to restore reality.

Bottom line: I like the art and story. But I get a hollow uneasy guilty feeling while reading it.

16. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Im definitely feeling the Ross Andru vibe as well. Really takes me back. :up:

17. Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

yeah, I may be a teenager, but I still have read the Spidey comics and I get the same vibe as you are getting, CaptainStacy. :up:

18. Spider-Gnome Walloping Web-Snappers!

It's Joe Q's trick! He's sucking us old guys in, man!

19. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

good man! :word: :up:

20. mre Registered

That means it could also kill........ a CLONE!

21. Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

Maybe we could see the return of Ben Reilley only to see him die AGAIN!!!

:woot: :woot: :woot:

22. Miss Webb Registered

OR Sarah OR Gabriel. *snicker* :woot:

23. USMC Registered

I've read them all (for free, not paying for this crap), and I agree, the writing isn't entirely piss-poor.

But I'm not paying to read a backwards Spider-Man from the 70's, his 90 year old hag aunt with no character, or about his loser-single life, or the adventures of his "new" supporting cast who are all carbon-copies of other better established characters.

I'll give Marvel my money again when they give Peter back his real life, with his wife. Not this alternate garbage.

24. antonydelfini Strange Tales

Ive completely forgotten about OMD. Ive become a fully fledged fan of BND because of Slott, McNiven, and Wacker. It's like reading Essential Spider-Man, especially when you read the 3 issues back to back to back. I know that's not a good thing for everybody, but these are really the kind of stories that made me a Spider-Man fan. I can't believe I can turn from a whimpering spidey fan to a very happy spidey fan in one month. It's all about bringing back the basics for me.

25. Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

Congratulations!!! :word: :up: :word: