The Amazing Spider-Man ASM: Stuff You Didn't Like Thread

Hit-Girl

Civilian
Reaction score
Flash Thompson. Kinda' took me outta the movie right at the beginning.

No school today would allow a violent psychopath like that to run around and attack people. He would be expelled. It was ridiculous and over the top.

Also, if the school didn't do anything, someone would have captured the bullying on video and posted it on Reddit.

Then later on he's all lovey dovey on Pete because Ben died. The filmmakers make it seem like we should suddenly like this character. WTH? Such a drastic, unsupported change in character. The Flash in the beginning would have probably been glad to kill Peter if he could get away with it.

Flash wouldn't have gone that far... To me it was understandable that he'd go easy on Peter now, especially since they never really seemed like mortal enemies in the movie anyway. Just seemed like Flash was a dick to mostly everyone, and Peter was one of the few to actually stand up for two of the kids he bullied. I guess I liked that because it seems that in life our most hated enemies can sometimes turn into our most trusted friends, which I've gone through. I'm not expecting Flash to get all "buddy-buddy" with him, but I do understand why Flash changed towards Peter.

Anyways, I didn't like how they briefly showed Norman's face on the screen when Peter was in Oscorp for the first time.

1. It's a screen, where the hell are the shadows shrouding his face coming from?
2. He also seemed to be wearing glasses, which I don't think Norman should need.

Last edited:
Flash wouldn't have gone that far...

Anyways, I didn't like how they briefly showed Norman's face on the screen when Peter was in Oscorp for the first time.

1. It's a screen, where the hell are the shadows shrouding his face coming from?
2. He also seemed to be wearing glasses, which I don't think Norman should need.

Yeah, that was corny and will only harm continuity when the person they cast won't look anything like that. LOL.

EXACTLY! Maybe one day they can alter his face via CG for DVD/Blu-Ray to fit the actor they finally choose for Norman.

OK, I liked the movie but here's my big beefs

1.) Sally Fields is literally given nothing to do in this movie. I was the biggest defender of her casting, and she's a fabulous actress. It's unfortunate the screen writers felt she wasn't that important.

2.) The effect that Ben's death has on Peter, is not shown very well in the film. I just didn't buy it the way I did in Raimi's movie.

3.) The Lizard/Conner's split personality theme. It seems thrown in there and a blatant rip off of Willem Dafoe's mirror scene, only done horribly.

4.) That Peter's origin is drawn out over several scenes. He doesn't get bit in the room, but out in the hallway talking to Gwen. Just really overdone.

I loved almost everything, but one thing I didnt like was the Ben death scene. I know Ben didnt know it, but it is not like the guy robbed a bank or anything. He stole probably like $200 dollars from a conveinance store. No reason to fight the guy and try risk your life there. Also, it is not like it was Peter's responsibilty to catch the guy there.

I loved almost everything, but one thing I didnt like was the Ben death scene. I know Ben didnt know it, but it is not like the guy robbed a bank or anything. He stole probably like $200 dollars from a conveinance store. No reason to fight the guy and try risk your life there. Also, it is not like it was Peter's responsibilty to catch the guy there.

Ben was a good man, and he fought the guy to keep him from hurting anyone with the gun. Peter had a responsibility to stop the guy because he had the power, but instead he let him go. I didn't see anything wrong there.

1) Sally Field. I just didn't care for her as Aunt May at all.

2) The Lizard split personality was just screaming GG/Osborn.

3) The bridge scene where Spidey swoops down and kicks Lizard...then all of a sudden the cars are just hanging and strung up?

Parts of the movie felt like it was rushed and that bridge scene was one of those. I enjoyed the movie for the most part but felt like some scenes felt shortened..

Ben had the opportunity and basic ability to stop the robber and followed the responsibility that came with that. Thats how any incarnation of Ben would've acted

1) Sally Field. I just didn't care for her as Aunt May at all.

2) The Lizard split personality was just screaming GG/Osborn.

3) The bridge scene where Spidey swoops down and kicks Lizard...then all of a sudden the cars are just hanging and strung up?

Parts of the movie felt like it was rushed and that bridge scene was one of those. I enjoyed the movie for the most part but felt like some scenes felt shortened..

Wasn't Spidey slinging webs and stopping those cars before he kicked Lizard? I think so, not sure.

1. Transition of Peter turning into Spidey was poorly handled
2. The Lizard i think he was a poor villain choice

All I really remember is him swooping down to kick Lizard and then disappearing. Next thing you know a whole row of cars are just dangling on the side of the bridge. Maybe it's just me but that scene felt cut short a bit.

You see Spider-Man webbing up the cars. Not directly, but you do see him swing by in the reflection of the car as Ratha looks out at the chaos.

I really liked Garfield but I felt at times he wasn't as firm and substantial at times and left as much of an impression on me. I think in the sequel, he can develop things a lot more and turn into something great. A lot of time his voice was just low and he was being too introverted at times.

Lizard not feeling substantial enough as a villain.

Uncle Ben's death didn't have much of an effect and they didn't even solve the whole killer thing. He was looking for his killer then it was just dropped and they got on like it never happened.

The convenient store scene. It's a pretty good scene and the same idea is still there, it's just weaker way of executing it. It just felt here they were trying to make things different when in the Raimi film everything came together perfectly. It was simple and concise and it happened all in 15 minutes or so.

Some things, like the relationship between Peter and Gwen at times felt drawn out and were just treading.

Too many googly eye scenes between Peter and Gwen where they're barely saying anything. They could have used that time to develop Connors or Connors/Pete's relationship.

More crimefighting would have been nice.

Tony, I'm not trying to single you out, your post was just the first that caught my eye.:yay:

1.) Sally Fields is literally given nothing to do in this movie. I was the biggest defender of her casting, and she's a fabulous actress. It's unfortunate the screen writers felt she wasn't that important.

I don't think that they felt she wasn't important. I think it was that the film was already 2 hours and 20 minutes. I agree she should have had more to do, but I understand why there wasn't more of her.

2.) The effect that Ben's death has on Peter, is not shown very well in the film. I just didn't buy it the way I did in Raimi's movie.

I loved it way more than the Raimi movie. It wasn't all spelled out for everyone, but everything Peter did after Ben died was because of it. We didn't have the over repeating of "With great power..." but for me it was obvious that everything was hanging on Peter's loss.

3.) The Lizard/Conner's split personality theme. It seems thrown in there and a blatant rip off of Willem Dafoe's mirror scene, only done horribly.

See...maybe it was just me, but I didn't take it as split personality. I thought it was more like an inner monologue.

My only gripes were the score, and Ratha's disappearance. But those are basically just nitpicks.

The Lizard. They just went too far with him. If he was more scaled down it would have been much more real. He was almost like the Hulk, in the Ang Lee movie, not that bad, but close.

Also...I have to say the mid credits scene was pretty terrible. I know most think it's one person...but I think it's someone completely different. Way too ambiguous there.

1. No Billy or Martha
2. A couple of cheesy scenes. Him bending the goal post and when he was swinging for the first time in daylight with no mask
3. The Lizard-Rat and the subway fight were borderline cheesy
4. Felt like Peter just abruptly didn't care about his father anymore

Ben was a good man, and he fought the guy to keep him from hurting anyone with the gun. Peter had a responsibility to stop the guy because he had the power, but instead he let him go. I didn't see anything wrong there.

Exactly! Ben is from an era that didnt let people lie in the streets without helping them....when people had a sense of right and wrong.

Uncle Ben's death didn't have much of an effect and they didn't even solve the whole killer thing. He was looking for his killer then it was just dropped and they got on like it never happened.

The convenient store scene. It's a pretty good scene and the same idea is still there, it's just weaker way of executing it. It just felt here they were trying to make things different when in the Raimi film everything came together perfectly. It was simple and concise and it happened all in 15 minutes or so.
They dropped it because he suddenly had a much bigger issue to deal with. He had just been lectured by Cpt. Stacey about how Spider-Man wasn't actually trying to help anyone but, was rather just some guy with a vendetta. Then he had the bridge scene and realized he could do better by helping people instead of pursuing his vendetta. That's where he becomes Spider-Man and takes Ben's words about responsibility to heart and realizes it's not about revenge. Just like Ben told him after picking him up from school.

Ben's death in Raimi's movie never carried any weight to me. Mainly because I don't think Tobey is as good at conveying his emotions as Andrew was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"