The Amazing Spider-Man ASM: Stuff You Didn't Like Thread

If I had one beef it's that it seemed like he had no Spider Sense......The Lizard came up behind him in the sewer?? He didnt know that car with the kid in it was about to catch fire and explode??

That's it for me! This movie was great!

4. Felt like Peter just abruptly didn't care about his father anymore
He felt abandoned. That messes with you. You feel hurt, betrayed, angry, even hostile. Trust me, I know. My step-daughter's biological father has pretty much abandoned her. I see first hand what she deals with emotionally. Andrew played it perfect.

If I had one beef it's that it seemed like he had no Spider Sense......The Lizard came up behind him in the sewer?? He didnt know that car with the kid in it was about to catch fire and explode??

They hinted at it when he first wakes up with his powers. It's subtle but, it's there. It makes sense that he's not in tune with it yet, too. The whole film you get a sense of him improving throughout.

Really? I thought his spider sense was pretty obvious, especially on the subway. It was just less noticeable than the Raimi version. The way he turned his head when the Lizard came up behind him meant that he did sense him coming, just that it was too late.

They dropped it because he suddenly had a much bigger issue to deal with. He had just been lectured by Cpt. Stacey about how Spider-Man wasn't actually trying to help anyone but, was rather just some guy with a vendetta. Then he had the bridge scene and realized he could do better by helping people instead of pursuing his vendetta. That's where he becomes Spider-Man and takes Ben's words about responsibility to heart and realizes it's not about revenge. Just like Ben told him after picking him up from school.

Ben's death in Raimi's movie never carried any weight to me. Mainly because I don't think Tobey is as good at conveying his emotions as Andrew was.

I get all of that. I just didn't feel the reverberations of Ben's death on Peter when they moved on. I was just reminded of it.

And that's where we differ. It's not a problem, it's we feel the opposite about things. I felt Garfield didn't have enough emotional drama to deal with. There certainly was, and when it was there he delivered, but I didn't feel his pain as much as I should. Especially his guilt.

Or maybe it was because I had seen these things before and they were just interpreting them in a different way to change it. :o I get they approached the ideas in different ways from different angles, but I think in terms of execution, the original source did it better in which Raimi stayed closest to.

They hinted at it when he first wakes up with his powers. It's subtle but, it's there. It makes sense that he's not in tune with it yet, too. The whole film you get a sense of him improving throughout.

Beat me to it.

I saw no sense of it improving. He kept getting ambushed thru out. Tobey had it out right and so do the comics. Just hope they fix that.

My friend brought up a good point: Why didn't Peter just tell Gwen her father said that?? Communication of a relationship and all.

Really? I thought his spider sense was pretty obvious, especially on the subway. It was just less noticeable than the Raimi version. The way he turned his head when the Lizard came up behind him meant that he did sense him coming, just that it was too late.

On the subway? They actually put the bottle on his forehead.....and he still didnt wake up until that water droplet touched his skin. So how did his 6th sense help?

And his spidey sense has always intensified as the threat level rises. With the Lizard being that NEAR to him, there's no way he even gets touched.

Let's just chalk it up to having to create an action scene and tension.

On the subway? They actually put the bottle on his forehead.....and he still didnt wake up until that water droplet touched his skin. So how did his 6th sense help?

And his spidey sense has always intensified as the threat level rises. With the Lizard being that NEAR to him, there's no way he even gets touched.

Let's just chalk it up to having to create an action scene and tension.

Yeah, I mean after he woke up. You could tell he was constantly feeling the spider-sense because of how he turned his head and kept dodging the guys on the subway.

About the Lizard scene, I still think that he felt it. Just too late. Perhaps Peter's spider-sense will intensify as time passes, in time for the sequel.

If Spider-Sense makes Spidey untouchable, that's one boring ass movie, action-wise. :o I thought how they used it was great.

I didn't care for the fact that Peter's promise to Cptn Stacy lasted about a few weeks in his time, and less than 10 minutes in our viewing time...

... the REAL Peter Parker would have held on for a while... like say... mid-way thru the sequel... and just give in to raging teenaged temptations...

That last line in school just made Stacy's death pointless...

I also thought the web-swinging looked way too awkward for my liking...

The Uncle Ben death scene did little for me... and I can't believe Peter never caught Ben's killer...

I can understand at times you can't overuse it. But I'd just craft something where things don't come up from behind or something is about to happen... though that would be hard. Because if you think about it, Spider-Man would be having brain damage from all the spider senses from even approaching action that will get worse.

I didn't care for the fact that Peter's promise to Cptn Stacy lasted about a few weeks in his time, and less than 10 minutes in our viewing time...

... the REAL Peter Parker would have held on for a while... like say... mid-way thru the sequel... and just give in to raging teenaged temptations...

That last line in school just made Stacy's death pointless...

I also thought the web-swinging looked way too awkward for my liking...

The Uncle Ben death scene did little for me... and I can't believe Peter never caught Ben's killer...

Well yeah, so why didn't he just tell Gwen that? She even had to say it for herself.

Can someone give me a good explanation as to why Peter didn't show up to the man who saved his life's funeral despite the promise?

Well yeah, so why didn't he just tell Gwen that? She even had to say it for herself.

Can someone give me a good explanation as to why Peter didn't show up to the man who saved his life's funeral despite the promise?
He thought he was protecting Gwen by keeping his distance. Obviously not the right way to go about it, but he's a brooding teenager. Also, in the comics, Peter's handled situations similarly in the past. I remember when he was trying to protect Betty, so he yelled at her to get her to run into Ned's arms. Peter is not the smartest guy when it comes to relationships.

And I mean...he kind of WAS at the funeral, watching from above.

Yeah, I mean after he woke up. You could tell he was constantly feeling the spider-sense because of how he turned his head and kept dodging the guys on the subway.

About the Lizard scene, I still think that he felt it. Just too late. Perhaps Peter's spider-sense will intensify as time passes, in time for the sequel.
[/QUOTE]
I hope so....

Anyways, I didn't like how they briefly showed Norman's face on the screen when Peter was in Oscorp for the first time.

1. It's a screen, where the hell are the shadows shrouding his face coming from?
2. He also seemed to be wearing glasses, which I don't think Norman should need.

It wasn't a shadow -- it was a silhouette of him.

-R

He thought he was protecting Gwen by keeping his distance. Obviously not the right way to go about it, but he's a brooding teenager. Also, in the comics, Peter's handled situations similarly in the past. I remember when he was trying to protect Betty, so he yelled at her to get her to run into Ned's arms. Peter is not the smartest guy when it comes to relationships.

I was thinking that too, in terms of him being a naive and an inexperienced teenager, especially with these powers. It's just when Gwen confronts him about it, all he can say is, "I can't be with you." I mean jeez man. Not the nicest way to go about it, especially after you dodge a funeral to a man who just saved your life. Yeah he was there, but it wouldn't have hurt if he was with all of them. Even at a funeral, it seemed Peter was taking the "keeping the distance" thing a bit too seriously. I mean if he wanted to keep his distance, he could have done so among the people. Gwen would have known he was there, yet curious as to why he was far away from her.

Last edited:
It wasn't a shadow -- it was a silhouette of him.

-R
Even a silhouette makes no sense. Is Norman Osborn camera shy in this universe? A man like that usually wants his face plastered everywhere. I felt the whole hologram was unnecessary if they didn't have Norman casted.

I was thinking that too, in terms of him being a naive and inexperienced teenager, especially with these powers. It's just when Fwen confronts him about it, all he can say is, "I can't be with you." I mean jeez man. Not the nicest way to go about it, especially after you dodge a funeral to a man who just saved your life.
Like I said, comic Peter has a history of things like this. He thinks that pushing people away is better than letting them down.

Even a silhouette makes no sense. Is Norman Osborn camera shy in this universe? A man like that usually wants his face plastered everywhere. I felt the whole hologram was unnecessary if they didn't have Norman casted.

I dunno if it was a silhoutte exactly. It looked to me that we were looking at it from an angle that obscured the hologram.

Just because he acknowledged that he made the promise doesn't mean that he doesn't intend to keep it. Him saying at the end of the film in response to, "Don't make promises you can't keep," "But those are the best kind," let's Gwen know that even though he can't be with her, he loves her and longs to be with her.

It's a bit of hope at the end of a film that ends on an otherwise hopeless note. Ben's dead, May is widowed, Peter still doesn't know what happened to his parents, Connors is incarcerated, Captain Stacy is dead, and Peter promised to stay away from the girl he loves....it's pretty hopeless. This little sentence shows that he loves her but that he knows he needs to "be responsible" and be the hero he is needed to be. The hero George Stacy and Uncle Ben knew he could be.

It's a great moment.

-R

Last edited:
Like I said, comic Peter has a history of things like this. He thinks that pushing people away is better than letting them down.

Well they get let down anyway. :awesome:

But still... did he need to keep that much of a distance? I'm talking for this story in this scene and context. I could have just as easily understood Peter attending the funeral, but maybe watching from afar and staying away from most of the people, especially Gwen, and she would notice.

Or you know... Peter is really, really far away. So far away Gwen has to squint to know it's him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"