Best Origin Movie?

Superman: The Movie being third is perfectly fine for me as BB and IM were just damn good origin films.

^ This.

And Racer, I wish more people appreciated things in their context. No one took superhero movies before STM. Now, some modern fans act as if STM was on the same level of silly as Adam West Batman.

Funny how Anno agrees with the results of this poll.(because he agrees with it)

But he thinks the poll that has TDKR as the 2nd most disappointing CB movie just can't be accurate.:whatever:

Human Torch...87 is far more precise of a majority view than about 20, but hey, who am I kidding, right? :o

Nevertheless, at least this thread acknowledges all of the origin CBMs to date rather than missing out on some major disappointing films as the other.

For me, STM has 2 substantial problems and one minor nitpick that keep it from remaining my favorite origin film. The nitpick is him lifting the San Andreas fault. It's not a huge problem but personally I hate that kind of stuff and it only got worse in subsequent films with moving the moon and an entire continent :whatever:. The 2 bigger problems will always be the spinning the earth back bit(biggest cop-out in movie history) and the Joe-El "you must not interfere with human history" subplot that literally goes NOWHERE. He breaks Jor-El's rule and it doesn't amount to anything. All is well again. Why even tell us that stuff 3X during the film then?

Anyway, for all that stuff I drop STM from a perfect 10/10 to a 9/10.

For me, STM has 2 substantial problems and one minor nitpick that keep it from remaining my favorite origin film. The nitpick is him lifting the San Andreas fault. It's not a huge problem but personally I hate that kind of stuff and it only got worse in subsequent films with moving the moon and an entire continent :whatever:. The 2 bigger problems will always be the spinning the earth back bit(biggest cop-out in movie history) and the Joe-El "you must not interfere with human history" subplot that literally goes NOWHERE. He breaks Jor-El's rule and it doesn't amount to anything. All is well again. Why even tell us that stuff 3X during the film then?

I understand every thing you mention. I myself have problems with the spinning Earth backwards because if he was so fast, why didn't he caught the two missiles in the first place? But I think he was still realizing the extent of his powers and seeing Lois dead triggered something else.

Now, Superman has traditionally "change the course of mighty rivers," so it's not that far-fetched that he can fix the geological fault.

Now, as someone else said somewhere in these forums, all superhero movies have this kind of plotholes or mistakes, but this is not just some movie in the middle of the superhero fever that fell short in the special effects and script departments. When you go back to 1978 (even before that actually) you get this movie exceeded every possible expectation. IMO the thing is that the rights vastly exceed the wrongs.

Wow....who thinks that?

My statement may've been hyperbole, but I feel like a lot of "modern" superman fans write off just how serious STM actually was, in spite of some silly elements.

1. BATMAN BEGINS - A flawlessly executed origin for the first 80 minutes or so. The use of non-linear storytelling (flashbacks starting from Bruce in a prison), gives the origin an off-kilter pacing with an immediacy that no other superhero origin movie has. It also rather definitively rewrites Batman's origin, so much so that some long-time comic readers have to struggle against the conceptions that this film (rightfully) added. Yes, the third act is weaker. But if you notice that is the case with pretty much every superhero origin film. However, Ra's Al Ghul still feels like menacing threat and it has enough energy to earn its ability to claim its one story instead of an origin with a third act conflict tacked on.

2. SPIDER-MAN (2002) - The most zippy and economically told of the (good) superhero origins, the story hits all the right beats and has Raimi's trademark quirk. The result is something effortlessly entertaining that perfectly captures the tone and tenor of the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko originals. Not until The Avengers has another superhero movie captured that Marvel Comics Silver Age vibe. On the downside, Tobey Maguire's Peter doesn't really grow past how he is depicted from those early issues, but that is more of an issue for the sequels. Also, the third act feels VERY tacked on. Still, The Green Goblin has some menace and the last 10 minutes (fight in the warehouse, GG's death, funeral, final swing) are pretty pitch perfect.

3. IRON MAN - The first half of this movie is, like the above two, pretty perfect. Honestly, Tony Stark's origin just isn't as good as Peter Parker's or Bruce Wayne's. Still, refiguring it for Afghanistan and letting Downey just rock the screen is incredibly satisfying. Once he leaves the weapons game after escaping the cave, the quality really does dip. Especially in regards to the ending. Still, Jeff Bridges is menacing, even if Iron Monger is not and Downey's chemistry with Paltrow manages to keep the movie always entertaining, even if it loses it awe by the halfway mark.

4. SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - The one that created the boilerplate. Chris Reeve. Marlon Brando. John Williams music. Classic. Proved a man could fly and costumes meant more than Adam West and Burt Ward. It is more leisurely paced as a '70s film and has some nice Biblical undertones. However, there are a few too many bizarre shortcuts (Kal-El spends 12 years in "Space School" only to fly out with a resume fit to become a Daily Bugle reporter? Lex Luthor finding out about kryptonite from the encyclopedia? Spinning the Earth backwards?!?!). And the less said about Lex and Otis's perceived menace the better.

The rest just feel like pale imitators compared to those four.

Last edited:
Avengers if that counts. Otherwise Batman Begins and Iron Man is too close to call. Honorable mention to Raimi's first Spider-man which I thought was a much better film than 2.

Honorable mention to Raimi's first Spider-man which I thought was a much better film than 2.

I've seen a few people express this opinion, out of curiousity, why do you think this because I think SM2 improves on the original in almost every way.

Sure I'm biased, but I'm going to say Iron Man. Batman was already huge when that movie came out. Sure the Shumaker films may have killed off the previous franchise, but people still loved the character.

Iron Man was at best second tier before that movie came out. It was the perfect storm of actor meets story, meets ambitious story, that was culturally relevant with the war in Afghanistan.

I also just think it's a more compelling origin story. This isn't some virgin pimple faced teenager that accidently has power thrust upon him. Or some youth that faces unspeakable tragedy that scars him for life. This is about a grown adult who has lived a full live and realizes that while he's lived high off the hog, the work that he's been doing has harmed the people he thought he was helping.

Sure I'm biased, but I'm going to say Iron Man.

tumblr_m8cv2zpjKl1qegw8v.jpg

Tony Stark prefers Iron Man :hehe:

I choose Spider-Man, so much done right. Iron Man, Batman Begins, X-Men, and Hellboy(I love me some Hellboy) aren't too far behind. Superman is another great example of getting so much right but origin wise but some other parts of the film I have issues with.

I also just think it's a more compelling origin story. This isn't some virgin pimple faced teenager that accidently has power thrust upon him. Or some youth that faces unspeakable tragedy that scars him for life. This is about a grown adult who has lived a full live and realizes that while he's lived high off the hog, the work that he's been doing has harmed the people he thought he was helping.

Or maybe it's just this:

Sure I'm biased...

:oldrazz:

Batman Begins got me invested with the character in a way that no other depiction of the character in any medium of entertainment has ever done before in the past, not even the 90's animated series.

One of the greatest scenes in the movie (and any film, for that matter) is the party scene where Bruce has to shift into drunk mode in order to convince the guests to leave his house in order to protect them.

Even though I was fully aware of Bruce's intention in this scene, I still felt uncomfortable watching it... for all the right reasons.

I felt legitimately uncomfortable for the guests in this scene and could easily put myself in their place because Bale's performance was so thoroughly convincing.

What adds to the texture of this scene, is the conversation Bruce had earlier with Alfred:

Alfred Pennyworth: If those are to be the first of many injuries to come, it would be wise to find a suitable excuse. Polo, for instance.
Bruce Wayne: I'm not learning polo, Alfred.
Alfred Pennyworth: Strange injuries a non-existent social life, these things beg the question as to what exactly does Bruce Wayne do with his time and his money.
Bruce Wayne: And what does someone like me do?
Alfred Pennyworth: Drive sports cars, date movie stars, buy things that are not for sale... who knows, Master Wayne? You start pretending to have fun, you might even have a little by accident.

This paints a subtle, yet vivid picture of how Bruce feels about the class of people he associates with during the day in order to maintain his false persona, and you can tell he doesn't have as much fun with it as Alfred would like him too. So how much of this:

"
Bruce Wayne: No, really. Uh... There's a thing about being a Wayne that... you're never short of a few freeloaders, like yourselves, to fill up your mansion with, so, here's to you people. Thank you.
Fredericks: That's enough, Bruce.
Bruce Wayne: Mm... I'm not finished. To all of you, uh, all you phonies, all of you two-faced friends, you sycophantic suck-ups who smile through your teeth at me, please leave me in peace. Please go. Stop smiling. It's not a joke. Please leave. The party's over. Get out."

...is actually an act?

This, along with may other brilliant moments in the film, are what makes this movie a cut above the rest of the genre and one of the top 5 most influential films of the 21st century.

Batman Begins got me invested with the character in a way that no other depiction of the character in any medium of entertainment has ever done before in the past, not even the 90's animated series.

One of the greatest scenes in the movie (and any film, for that matter) is the party scene where Bruce has to shift into drunk mode in order to convince the guests to leave his house in order to protect them.

Even though I was fully aware of Bruce's intention in this scene, I still felt uncomfortable watching it... for all the right reasons.

I felt legitimately uncomfortable for the guests in this scene and could easily put myself in their place because Bale's performance was so thoroughly convincing.

What adds to the texture of this scene, is the conversation Bruce had earlier with Alfred:

Alfred Pennyworth: If those are to be the first of many injuries to come, it would be wise to find a suitable excuse. Polo, for instance.
Bruce Wayne: I'm not learning polo, Alfred.
Alfred Pennyworth: Strange injuries a non-existent social life, these things beg the question as to what exactly does Bruce Wayne do with his time and his money.
Bruce Wayne: And what does someone like me do?
Alfred Pennyworth: Drive sports cars, date movie stars, buy things that are not for sale... who knows, Master Wayne? You start pretending to have fun, you might even have a little by accident.

This paints a subtle, yet vivid picture of how Bruce feels about the class of people he associates with during the day in order to maintain his false persona, and you can tell he doesn't have as much fun with it as Alfred would like him too. So how much of this:

"
Bruce Wayne: No, really. Uh... There's a thing about being a Wayne that... you're never short of a few freeloaders, like yourselves, to fill up your mansion with, so, here's to you people. Thank you.
Fredericks: That's enough, Bruce.
Bruce Wayne: Mm... I'm not finished. To all of you, uh, all you phonies, all of you two-faced friends, you sycophantic suck-ups who smile through your teeth at me, please leave me in peace. Please go. Stop smiling. It's not a joke. Please leave. The party's over. Get out."

...is actually an act?

This, along with may other brilliant moments in the film, are what makes this movie a cut above the rest of the genre and one of the top 5 most influential films of the 21st century.

Such a great post, and why Batman Begins is still the best CBM ever made.

I don't think BB is the best CBM but it's the best Batman movie to date.
The scene at the docks (okay, "Nice coat" was unnecessary:whatever:), the Flass interrogation, Batman calling the bats like in "Year One", the Joker card at the end...
I wish we would have gotten more of these in TDK and TDKR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"