Batman: Under the Red Hood

While that clip was pretty good, I'm a TINY bit disappointed in the animation. There is just something about the background that looks cheap to me. :( But even that wont bring me down of my excitement for this movie. Can't wait! :)

Yep, that's the same clip Face.

I'm liking Greenwood's Bat voice myself. :up:

Not as good as Conroy, but the Bats voice ain't bad.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Nice interview with Jason Isaacs on voicing Ra's.
http://www.toonzone.net/news/articl...o-play-a-villain-in-batman-under-the-red-hood

Ras_03.jpg

Ras_04.jpg

I actually like the grit and weight to Joker's voice :)

I do too; it has that muster and vibe we'd all expect from Hamill, but there's just something different that adapts into a Joker I've never heard before. It's terrific; get what I mean? LOL From what I've heard and read so far, I'm severely impressed with this entire cast, if I do say so myself. :woot:

Yeah, the clip was fantastic. Looks like it's going to be a terrific movie.

Okay so I got to watch this last night and it was AMAZING. It's easily the second best of these recent DC animated movies just after Crisis on Two Earths. John DiMaggio makes a great Joker, sounding pretty close to Hamill's. And I hate to say it but this movie actually makes me like and care about Jason Todd.

There are some flashback scenes that are really touching, especially the last one. And also I lost it and started laughing hysterically with Joker's best line of the movie, "So, who's got a camera? Ooo ooo, get one of me and the kid first, then you and me, then the three of us, and then one with the crowbar."

JokerRedHood.jpg

Really I'm very happy with how this movie turned out, all of the voice actors do a superb job. And NPH as Nightwing, need I say more?

^^^ Glad you loved it. Every review so far has been positive. Can't wait to see it.

Fingers crossed my blu-ray copy will arrive tomorrow.

got a chance to see it last night, thoughts. overall, good not great. would serve as a fairly good pilot for that adult themed hbo style batman cartoon everyone is always saying they want.

cast was excellent, only person who could conceivably be considered a weak point would be isacs. dimagio as the joker was brilliant, and the writing on the character is maybe the best non-comic version of him period. the story was MUCH better than the comic version as it wasn't held down by all the crisis elements ( no superboy time punch ) the nimation and chracter designs are pretty good (i beleive this is the same crew that'll be doing the young justice show.) every vehicle in this looks and moves odd (with the exceptions of the batbike and batplane) the score is ok but nothing to write home about. overall i say get it, but don't expect it to be another MOTP or ROTJ, it's no where near those two but it is one of the better dtv's to date and pretty fun.

also i disagree with the above poster. i think joker's best line was (after killing 5 men) "...i'm gonna need some guys. well, not these guys...they're all dead."

also i disagree with the above poster. i think joker's best line was (after killing 5 men) "...i'm gonna need some guys. well, not these guys...they're all dead."

Pretty much most if not all of his lines were gold. The one I mentioned and the one you mentioned were the two I laughed hardest on, the delivery was just so great.

My blu-ray copy finally arrived today, and myself and a friend, who's also a Batman fan, watched it together, and it was AWESOME!!!!! I'm a huge fan of the comic book story, Under the Hood, and this movie adaptation met every one of my expectations and more.

The story was filled with emotion, particularly the flashback parts. The action was top notch, and the violence was particularly brutal. Man oh man, how I loved the scene where Joker beats Jason with the crowbar. That iconic scene from a death in the family brought alive on screen. Looooooved it.

There was too many great scenes for me to pick a favorite. The whole movie was just outstanding. Loved the animation. The characters looked great. Gotham City looked great. Ra's Al Ghul's lair looked terrific. I loved the design for the Batmobile, too.

The voice cast were all top notch. There was not a bad performance from anyone. Special shout outs to Greenwood as Batman, and Ackles as Jason, but a particularly big shout out to DiMaggio for delivering a brilliant unique and menacing take on the Joker. He surprised me with how good he was. I loved him.

Overall I give this movie a 9.5/10. It's almost perfect for me, and I love it just as much if not more than MOTP and Return of the Joker.

Btw, the special features were great. Haven't watched them all yet, but the featurettes about Jason, and Dick Grayson were cool.

Well, I watched it. I have to say, this is the first Batman dtv film that I was excited about since... I don't know when. I always thought that this story had a lot of potential, even though it's a classic example of the "comic book death" syndrome that I loathe.

Anyway, the film is good. Not GREAT, but good. Solid and cool. I think that the story was told well, although it's heavily geared towards an audience that already knows about what's going on and who's who. I don't think that a kid with a generic knowledge that there's a Batman, a Robin and a Joker would get all of it.

I think that the actors and the characters were okay.
The villains were cool. I think I liked most Black Mask who was pretty funny to me (I lol'd at the "You can't trust anyone..." moment when he was in the truck with the rest of the mobsters). The Joker was nice too, and he had cool lines, but somehow I think that something was missing - in that particular story you have to hate him, you have to want to see him die, he has to be as despicable and disgusting as possible in that particular story; however, he still came off a bit likeable here. I suppose that it's just hard to make an unlikable Joker, no matter how evil his deeds are. Ra's was... I dunno, I didn't really cared for him and he didn't have much of a role anyway. Red Hood was cool as the main baddie. I liked his suit, he looked really badass. I always thought that the post-resurrection Jason was one of the few characters in Gotham who had common sense. I mean, sure, he's insane and immoral, but you can't deny that he's right, that those scumbags that plague this city have to die if you want things to get better. That fact, that his motivation is a very reasonable one, makes him a great villain IMO.
The heroes... I dunno, I can never relate well to Batman's One Rule, and it is a crucial part of this story, so I can't really say that I rooted for him. It's hard for me to root for a main character with whose ideology I disagree to the point when his stubbornness annoys me. Nightwing was cool, but IIRC, he just disappeared after a point. I would have liked to see either more of him or nothing at all; here he appears out of nothing without explanation and disappears into nothing without explanation.

The animation and the style were good. I liked the looks of almost all characters (without the Riddler's in that flashback). The animation was fluid and nice enough I suppose.

So, overall, yay or nay? I'd say yay. It's about at 7 out of 10.

I just finished whatching it and wow. (just to be safe, I'll put everyhting in spoilers)
WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS
When I started watching the movie I was thinking to myself it wouldn't to be to my liking like most DC animated movies were, but at the end I was proven wrong.
The begining is great with informing the new comers to DC what happened to Jason Todd, aswell as later on explaining who he is and how he came to be. Basically the begining was catching everybody up to speed. After the intro flash back Red Hood decides to take the fate of Gotham into his own hand and help clean it up by killing major crime lords, bla bla bla. I'm not gonna write much about the plot...
Anyways the character designs were great, but I just didn't find Batman as epic in his design and just found him dull. He didn't strike me as an awsome design. Everybody will differ in liking for this department, but I wasn' to crazy about it. Bruce Greenwood did however deliver and made an exeptional dark knight, even after taking over the role of Kevin Conroy so did John Dimaggio. John Dimaggio's Joker is maniacal, violent, crazy, etc... Therefore his voice contributes to this factor. Overall the voice work was great, but had a few hickups.
For me the story pickus up roughly one third of the way in and it starts to reveal the great story with some great lines from the voice actors. I find that it then becomes dark and over all is very comparable to Batman Beyond The Return of the Joker(WOOT WOOT Batman Beyond!). The movie real dwells deep into why Batman does not kill and is he willing to kill for Jason. I like that a lot. The ending I am not willing to say, it to awesome to spoil, but arghhh!!!! I want to talk about it so much. I will just say it is the greatest part of the movie for sure.
Anyways that's all I could think of right know, feel free to ask me questions, and I will answer them.
In conlusion,
Voice work - 8.5
Character desing and the overall art - 7.8
Story and Plot - 8.9 (With the ending being the greatest part!!!!!!)

Thus it is a must for any batfan, with a great dark tone, and the ending, god!!!! It's s0o awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>.<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ASK me any questions you have. ;)
http://memehuffer.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c579d53ef010534a7975e970b-500wi

The movie itself aside, how is the picture quality on Blu-ray?

I'm a bit over half-way through the film so far, and does anyone else besides me think the single best character is Black Mask's right hand woman? She's awesomely and hilariously level-headed and logical, if it wasn't for her Black Mask probably wouldn't have taken over in the first place :hehe:

she probably has the best line in the movie. "yes. batman likes to keep things. :dry: "

i kinda wish they'd have kept the guy, or at least his attitude, from the comics but i guess it really wasn't necessary the way they did the story here.

Is it better than Gotham Knight?
Easily. It stil has its flaws, but that's mostly the morality stuff, given that DC's heroes are easily some of the most self-righteous ever written in fiction.

Dimaggio's Joker is fantastic too, really chilling. He's entertaining, but more crafted being meant to hate, and it works surprisingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"