BvS Batman v Superman - Reviews Thread [TAG SPOILERS] - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already addressed the Knightmare sequence as a post Credit, and why it would make so much less sense, even contradictory, as opposed to serving the story. Unless you put it as a post-credit to MOS. Now THAT could have been interesting.

Oh damn, now I almost want to edit it in for my own purposes, lol.

You're making my point though. The scene was out of place where it is. I do think making it a post-credit scene for MoS would have made BvS make more sense to begin with.

First, we DO get examples of Clark being the heroic life saver in MOS, it's all just pre-Superman stuff. Considering he's not even supposed to really BE Superman till the very end of the movie (similar to the reason Nolan put the actual title of Batman Begins at the END of the film), showing him as Superman saving people like that goes against the drive of the film.

MOS is essentially Superman:DAY. Yes it covers much more of this life, and arguably he meets Jor El, and getshis uniform maybe a day or 2 (the timeline isn't too explicit) before the Battle of Metropolis, the actual climax, and Superman's introduction to the world, is literally his first day on the job.

Which I guess is one of my main issues with the movie. You could trim so much of what's in MoS and fill it with good Superman stuff that it would totally strengthen the movie AND the character of Clark/Superman who is never established.

Also, the whole point is that his hand is forced. He is exposed to the world because of the situation the Kryptonians' are backing him, and the world, into.

So showing him saving people in costume would have been in direct contrast of the actual story being told, AND we do get Clark filling that exact same role earlier in the film, just BEFORE he gets his costume.

You can still have this plot point, because you'd have established him as this hero and then have him "outed" to the world as an alien.

Now, that's not say they could not have shown more Superman saving people during the climax.
They tried a bit during the Smallville battle, showing him showing more concern for people, telling them to go inside, TRYING to fly the fight elsewhere, only to have them grab his cape and slam him into the ground.
Not as much shown in the climax.
Would have been nice to see a few more examples of him saving the people being put in danger by the Kryptonians, just peppered in the climax.

That said, the "why didn't he take the fight away from the population" criticism, never agreed with it:
One, because they actually DO show him try that in Smallville, a much smaller city, with a lot more, close by, unpopulated areas, and the Kryptonian's were having non of it
and two, because Zod makes his intentions perfectly clear, to kill as many of these people as he can.

If Superman tried to take the fight elsewhere, Zod would have just let Superman fly away, and just smashed more buildings, just unimpeded now.

That's the huge difference between the climax of MOS, and the NY (sorry, Metropolis) battle in Superman II. In Superman II, the Kryptonian's are mainly just holding people hostage, and all they want is Superman.
In MOS, Zod isn't holding anyone hostage just to draw out Superman. Superman is not his endgame at that point, it's the destruction, the extinction of humanity that is his goal.

THAT is the real difference between Superman II, and MOS. Not Superman's actions or intentions, but Zod's.
Stamp's Zod target was Superman; Shannon's Zod target was the population of Metropolis/humanity itself.

THAT is why it doesn't work for Superman to fly away like he did in Superman II. It wouldn't draw Zod away, it would just leave him free range to kill.

Now, in BvS, while they certainly were going a bit AOU with the shoehorned in lines like "thankfully the business day is over, and everyone's gone home for the day." etc, Doomsday, being more of a mindless beast, and who's target IS Superman, which makes it much easier to lead him to where the "heroes" wanted him.

I agree that they TRIED to show him moving the fights away from innocent people, but they also showed too many scenes of him moving the fight TOWARDS innocent people. Hell, the whole Smallville fight is due to him flying Zod directly into town.

I like that during the Smallville fight he was shown trying to save people, but I dislike him not doing the same during the Metropolis fight.

BTW, I hated the random "explosion" power by Doomsday. Just seemed like a reason to show more destruction.

I hated the random "explosion" power by Doomsday. Just seemed like a reason to show more destruction.

It's kind of hilarious how angry and destructive Doomsday is. It's like he's the Hulk's inbred and alcoholic cousin. Unpleasant dude.

You're making my point though. The scene was out of place where it is. I do think making it a post-credit scene for MoS would have made BvS make more sense to begin with.

Which I guess is one of my main issues with the movie. You could trim so much of what's in MoS and fill it with good Superman stuff that it would totally strengthen the movie AND the character of Clark/Superman who is never established.

You can still have this plot point, because you'd have established him as this hero and then have him "outed" to the world as an alien.

I agree that they TRIED to show him moving the fights away from innocent people, but they also showed too many scenes of him moving the fight TOWARDS innocent people. Hell, the whole Smallville fight is due to him flying Zod directly into town.

I like that during the Smallville fight he was shown trying to save people, but I dislike him not doing the same during the Metropolis fight.

BTW, I hated the random "explosion" power by Doomsday. Just seemed like a reason to show more destruction.

Always interesting to see how opinions differ.

I thought the entire Doomsday fight was great and I liked how his periodic explosions caused him to evolve ala his origin.

As I noted earlier, I walked out of this movie feeling that it was nigh-identical to The Dark Knight, both structurally and in terms of narrative intent and execution, but I also walked out of the film believing that, like The Dark Knight, it was very successful in "owning" the world in which it was set and building on what had come before it, for better or worse, which is something that I appreciate in any property as a whole, but especially when it comes to "shared universe" stuff... especially when it's all too common for filmmakers to 'cow-tow' to fan complaints and change things too dramatically.
You think this way, but my additional two cents will probably make you dislike my opinion more.

The more I think about Man of Steel and this sequel of it, the more I am reminded of these two films.

Mortal_Kombat_Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack_cover.jpg
mortal_kombat__annihilation_platinum_series_dvd_by_gabboesparza-d7h1hm1.png

Mortal Kombat the movie with its time of release and limited budget, managed to deliver something memorable to a good number of fans, good action, fun moments, more balance to the characters screen time, and memorable soundtrack.

Man of Steel has a nice number of cast members, cool music, nice action scenes, and nicer imagery, particularly for the budget and time of release.

Then come: THE SEQUELS

Mortal Kombat Annihilation has this line on its cover; "Destroy All Expectations". What I expected before watching it is something awesome, something cool, but with one annoying thing, but mostly it was a sequel worth celebrating. Those were my naive expectations back then for MKA, and boy did the movie live up to the tagline on posters and VHS tape covers, it destroyed my expectations, and we ended up with something completely lacking, very stupid, a chaotic mess, characters with moments of brief appearances then gone, an early and unpleasant death of who should be one of the best characters (Johnny Cage is one of the best characters in both games and first film to me), a dream sequence the protagonist has, seeing someone he never saw unmasked before, talking to him directly, a lackluster villain for a final fight, a lackluster father, a semi-useless mentor, a girlfriend who is mostly just there. The more I watched that sequel, the more flaws I found in it.

Batman V Superman is the Mortal Kombat Annihilation of DCEU, main differences are:
  • It's an hour longer.
  • It's ambitious, with a bigger budget, and better effects.
  • It tries to be smarter than what the end result is, it tried to be the Dark Knight of the DCEU, while the team behind MK Annihilation had no intention of making their movie the next Blade Runner.
  • No change in the cast.
The movie has the death of Jimmy Olsen, who is generally to me, a good mix between Peter Parker and Johnny Cage, he is the Rick Jones of the Superman lore, but we did not even get a reason to see him in the previous movie, he's killed early in the movie, and then he's forgotten for the rest of it, so in that regard, he is treated worse than how Johnny Cage was treated in MKA, at least he had Sonya Blade thinking of him, Jimmy on the other hand, was forgotten, and never referenced again.
At least he wasn't named in the movie, I think that was a good thing.

Lex Luthor and Doomsday are a bad mix of Shao Kahn, Shinnok, and Sindel.
The senate hall may have been supposed to be like the death of the judge in TDK, but it was mostly random, her sudden silence was random, looking at the jar of peach tea tea was random, and the after effect was dumb.

Aquaman scene was very reminiscent of Nightwolf's, just there to show off for a moment, then disappear for the rest of the movie. Sure his presence was supposed to build for Justice League movie, something Nightwolf was not there for, so you might say that is one up for Aquaman over Nightwolf, right? I say no, Nightwolf's very brief cameo was supposed to help Liu Kang learn a lesson for the movie at hand, not to exist for a sequel.

Superman's brief appearance every now and then is similar to half of the too many characters popping up in MKA, the other half is the characters who are there for a brief appearance like that politician Alexander kills for no reason, or Mercy Graves.

Perry White is worse than Raiden, Perry White is the Jim Gordon of the Superman lore, but he was useless, annoying, and just there, with a meaningless existence for a reason other than Clark and Lois having a boss.

What makes Batman V Superman far worse than Mortal Kombat Annihilation (a movie so absurd I pop it in every now and then to watch a conclusion of the MK film story, and have a good laugh at the absurdity of it) is that BVS was supposed to be the big hit, the thing many, MANY comic book and cartoon fans were waiting to see realized on the big screen, some of us waited for that to happen even before the first Iron Man movie was released, but instead of hitting the right notes, instead of being the excellent central nerve of the DCEU, the pinnacle of CBM progress, we had a mountain of hot mess, that did not live to anyone's positive expectations, and shatters our excitement.

Sorry about that long rant.
If you read it and think it's.... eccentric, then I hope you find some entertainment value to it.

Always interesting to see how opinions differ.

I thought the entire Doomsday fight was great and I liked how his periodic explosions caused him to evolve ala his origin.

I respect your opinon. To me, it just seemed really random. Without that power he'd have been formidable on his own. Not everything needs a stretched out "evolution"...in my opinon :)

Lombardi? Ha. Anyways still a troll. Like the losers at Latino review trying to upset DC fans . I got spoiled for B vs S from an adult Marvel fan. A stranger . Just because I had a superman tee shirt. I'm not gonna engage in a nerd war in person but I just wanted to say enjoy your talking raccoons , ducks and joke every 2mns. Marvel not my cup of tea but I don't HOPE their movies fail. People I like enjoy them. Why would that make me happy? Peeps need to grow up. If someone enjoyed a movie that doesn't take anything away from you.

Ummm, I am a fan of a number of DC comics characters, I prefer Superman, the Flash (Barry Allen), the Flash (Wally West), Batman, any Green Lantern, Powergirl, Supergirl, and a good number of DC characters over a big number of Marvel characters who have successful movie franchises right now.

In my rant I did include myself among the masses who were anticipating a live action meeting between the two biggest titans of comic industry, and who really enjoyed Man of Steel.

Very good post (the Mortal Kombat one), Aziz. Funny, and true. Enjoyed reading it.

Hmm. I just saw the film for the first time and I feel pretty indifferent. I wouldn't say it's the worst superhero film ever (not even close) but it isn't the best ever like early tweeters reviews were claiming (not that I believed them).

Good
Batman/Affleck-I still think the dudes an average actor but he does well here and those fight scenes were awesome.

Wonder Woman/Gadot-mostly the character herself as she's awesome and Gadot does good with what she's given. I LOVED Zimmers score for her theme. Her fight scenes were fun and I loved the smile she had when fighting, it's been a long time since she's been in a good battle and you could tell she was enjoying it. Gals physique needed a bit more muscle but looking a recent pics come Justice League she might just be where I expect WW to look body wise, her arms are getting big.

Fight scenes- So Snyder is very clearly a fan of the Arkham series cause batmans moves were straight from that game series. The last battle with Doomsday was cool to watch.

The bad-

Lex Luthor/Eisenberg-nearly ruined this film for me. As someone said before it was like he was playing Jim Carey playing the Riddler. Every time he was on the screen I literally rolled my eyes as he overreacted the hell out of the part. Who approved this ****?

Editing-That first hour is more than a bit much.

Justice League set up- There was no need for Bruce's dream nor for those sequences with the other metas. People rag on Marvel all day but outside of that horrible cave sequence with Thor their "teases" and "set ups" aren't that distracting.

Metropolis-Muted and dull I absolutely hated how bland it looked. There was a grand opportunity to show the bright and clean atmosphere of Metropolis vs the dark and grim atmosphere of gotham and they missed it.

Meh

Superman/Henry Cavill- I think it's the focus on his accent that is causing him to be more wooden at times than he has to be. There were times when I just wasn't getting anything from his acting/expressions.

The BVS fight-
at this point I think it would actually be more surprising to see Supes "win" a bvs matchup...

Rating? 6 maybe 6.5

CB Fan: "Who approved this ****?"

Good question. Lex Luthor is the worst thing about the movie. I can't understand why some people defend this portrayal (or betrayal) of the character...total crap.

I'd honestly rather read the New 52 stuff or Supetman: Earth One because they were written after MoS and therefore more in line with the way that said movie defined the character and my response to him.

Morrison's New52 Superman run is among the ones I listed.

Trust me though - even though it's Pre-New52/MoS, anything written by Geoff Johns for ANY character is guaranteed to be fun. It's not as cheesy as you might think.

Saw this for the second time today. Noticed some different things, and had my opinions on some scenes even further solidified.

-The Africa subplot was not needed at all (why would Superman kill people with guns, and how is it framing him to shoot a bunch of people with guns?)
- When Lois is questioning Swanwick in the bathroom, he says something like "with balls like those I'd say you belong in here." What an odd line.
-There is a riderless police horse in Metropolis after Zod's attack, and then later we see another police horse outside of the capitol. Who knew they were so popular? :p
-Twice in this movie, people step into water with their shoes on. (Clark and Lex)
-The court scene was a major missed opportunity for Superman to have a fantastic dialogue scene and really get people to like his character.
-Dream sequences come out of nowhere and feel very random, imo.
- Superman and Batman hardly speak with each other at all.
- Superman and WW basically do not speak to each other at all
-There was an interesting parallel between Clark and Bruce where we cut from Clark talking to his dead father, to Bruce speaking to Alfred, his father-ish figure, about his actual father.

I respect your opinon. To me, it just seemed really random. Without that power he'd have been formidable on his own. Not everything needs a stretched out "evolution"...in my opinon :)

Without that part he'd be dead because Superman flew him into space, was about to punch him out of orbit until the trigger happy government went the nuke solution again. The nuke basically gave Doomsday an accelerated version of Superman's sun absorption years on earth which fueled his laser eyes/head and what not.

Saw this for the second time today. Noticed some different things, and had my opinions on some scenes even further solidified.

-The Africa subplot was not needed at all (why would Superman kill people with guns, and how is it framing him to shoot a bunch of people with guns?)
- When Lois is questioning Swanwick in the bathroom, he says something like "with balls like those I'd say you belong in here." What an odd line.
-There is a riderless police horse in Metropolis after Zod's attack, and then later we see another police horse outside of the capitol. Who knew they were so popular? :p
-Twice in this movie, people step into water with their shoes on. (Clark and Lex)
-The court scene was a major missed opportunity for Superman to have a fantastic dialogue scene and really get people to like his character.
-Dream sequences come out of nowhere and feel very random, imo.
- Superman and Batman hardly speak with each other at all.
- Superman and WW basically do not speak to each other at all
-There was an interesting parallel between Clark and Bruce where we cut from Clark talking to his dead father, to Bruce speaking to Alfred, his father-ish figure, about his actual father.

Africa - the government reaction is that his intervention resulted in gun fire

Bathroom line - I thought he was referencing political position as he himself was a general now a senator and you can see he hasn't adopted to it, but the bathroom makes sense, the line was fine.

Court room scene - yes, he should have had started speaking and the bomb went off during it

Dream sequence - only one that was weird was the Knightmare, it should have opened up with Flash and then finished with Flash to give it the continuity

Bathroom line - I thought he was referencing political position as he himself was a general now a senator and you can see he hasn't adopted to it, but the bathroom makes sense, the line was fine.

Court room scene - yes, he should have had started speaking and the bomb went off during it

Dream sequence - only one that was weird was the Knightmare, it should have opened up with Flash and then finished with Flash to give it the continuity
1. Ah, I see. That makes sense. But still I don't think that subplot served a huge purpose
2. I think the line definitely made sense, it just felt a little off to me.
3. I'm glad you agree
4. Yeah that would've been nice, and the Superman in the snowy place scene could've used some context as well.

Watched the movie today. I wasn't sure I'd like it because of all the bad reviews... but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I thought it was a powerful and thought-provoking story with amazing visuals. Like a page of a comic book brought to life.

I liked almost everything, even Jesse Eisenberg was solid as Lex, and I was totally against him in the role, but he works in this story. He's clearly a very emotionally damanged guy. He's the mad scientist Lex. I expect him to be a bit more serious the next time around, though.

Ben Affleck was simply brilliant. This is the Batman I always wanted to see in live action. He is pure dynamite! I understand he is an older and more cynical version of the character who has no tolerance any more. I don't have a problem with that, because there is a reason for that. He seemed to have had a change of heart at the end, though. The scene when he saved Martha Kent was so amazing. His Bruce Wayne was also great.

Now I still haven't seen Man of Steel... just wasn't interested, but I should remedy that soon. But Henry Cavill makes a very good Superman honestly. He looks powerful and majestic, although a bit too muscular for my taste. I wish he was allowed to smile a bit more, but there weren't many opportunities in this story. He looked very frustrated with humanity most of the time except Lois. I really hope to see him a bit more optimistic in the next movie. I also don't love his nose, but I guess it gives him some character, so no bigl issue with that. Oh and his Clark Kent is ok. It's just Superman with glasses. No real disguise. Wish he tried to change his body posture and voice a little, but I guess that was Snyder's choice..

Gal Gadot as WW was very good too. I'm very excited about her upcoming movie. Still can't believe we are getting a WW movie on the big screen..! I always loved the character. She seems like a decent actress so far. We have to wait and see how good she really can be in her own movie. Got goosebumps when I saw the Trinity together on the screen. Very surreal.. She looked amazingly beautiful.

The visuals and music were great and epic. Some very beautiful imagery. I thought Doomsday looked good. The CGI was solid all around, IMO.. the only thing I felt was a bit confusing and weird were Bruce's so called visions. I thought it had to do with the future..

When they showed the clips of the rest of the JL members, I felt very excited. I really hope/wish the movie does well enough at the BO, because I can't wait to see the JL movie soon! woohoo! :yay:

Thank you, Zack Snyder, Warner Bros for this movie. Solid start for the DCEU, IMO. It can only get better. BTW, I think dark for the DC heroes works well, but a little bit of humor is always good. Just don't go too cheesy.

My rating: 9/10

One more thing.. I was very moved by some scenes near the end and cried..

So sad to see my hero Superman dead... :'(

Honestly the first time I saw the movie I gave it a 6, borderline 7. It wasn't as bad as critics made it out to be but it wasn't as good as fans made it out to be. Agreed. Don't get me wrong some of the ideas were sound and the concepts were there, but they have got to realize they are trying to reach all audiences with their movie.Eh. 6.5 out of 10, 7 if I am being generous.

But I stopped and talked to one person after the movie theater and he told me this "I have to digest/sit on what I just saw, then I'll get back to you"

Yeah. If you want action wait until the 2nd , 3rd half of it because most of it is talking and debating. There wasn't as much plot holes as people made it out to be.
It felt like watching a teenager trying to impress you with how intelligent he thinks he is by recreating Hamlet, but it ends up boring you before setting something on fire. .......... meh. The action was alright, better than anything we've seen before with Batman or Superman by far. But it was kind of like I was forcing myself to pay attention when it finally started.

The second time however, I gave it a 8, because I got to appreciate the nuances and development of story. It was very packed in the theater. Honestly

Two of my friends is a huge anime fan and never talks about Superman, but this movie really got people talking about his arc. At the beginning he was criticizing Superman, thinking in hindsight it is hard to forget how much destruction Superman causes in the battles he does. I'm still mad at them killing off Jimmy(nice callback to Superman:Red Son with making him a CIA Agent though) and wish we could see more heroics with the African incident. Seeing the Batman scene, he thought they were both jerks in the wrong, but as the story kept on movie, they both came off as really invested in Superman's character and his arc(I like him crying in the Union was very powerful). I heard one girl tearing up in the theater as well, saying "Superman, no" and another was clapping during the fight scene, which on some level is moving, even though some people were laughing at her. I heard people clapping when Wonder Woman and Superman facing Doomsday and loved the JL cameos.

Ben Affleck sold the performance as Batman, even though he was the perceived villain of the story, he was very well done. After the theater, all we were talking about was how the movie was and the plot points. One of friends gave it a 6, but I told him re-watching the movie makes all the difference.

Lex was definitely a divisive character, and I can see why people said that Lex. 4 of my friends said Lex was really brutal and highly. 5 of my friends didn't liked him, constantly compared him to the Joker and said he wouldn't do things such as this, or at least would be more tactful and suave. But thinking back, I am reminded of an event in the Luthor graphic novel, Lex manipulated Toyman destroying a day care, which included killing a Russian Scientist he helped freed and his family, Lex then remotely detonates his own creation, blowing up the Science Spire. Another good example is Superman Birthright, where Lex he disaster and triggers bombs along the support column, making it appear that Superman is the one tearing it down, while using Kryptonite to weaken him. The only difference is dialogue and just his initial personality. Hopefully future films, get to show him develop and grow as a character.

Which is undercut by the fact that Lois was there and was an eyewitness to the whole thing and she knew shots were fired before Superman even got there. She couldn't testify or at least write an article about what really happened? A Pulitzer prize winning reporter should have credibility. It really got the story off on the wrong foot.

Watched the movie and i am a bit conflicted:
The movie as quality i can safely say is a 7, 7.5 if i am happy. But part of me really wants to give it a solid 8 because as much as it isn't the best movie, i certainly had a blast and a great experience while watching.

• Let's cover the BAD:
  • Eisenberg: Putting Eisenberg here, he is a good actor but damn was he corny in here, it seemed like they tried to make him Ledger Joker and to be honest, it was a bit of a fail.
  • Part of Superman: Emphasis on part as the other half will appear in the good, but Snyder got basically half Superman and the other half he got was Superman with posibility to had went Injustice in any moment.
  • Underuse of Wonder Woman: Diana was in the costume for well put of 10 minutes for the last fight with Zodsday, the whole movie she was either flirting with Bruce or walking arround or anything else, i would have prefered to have had cut some of the scenes with Diana and kept her first and second meet with Bruce and her seeing the files and seeing the battle.
  • Erratic cuts: The best way to describe the editing of this movie is to see it as you are reading a comic, then your read a tie in, then the follow up with a backup story and another tie in and then you are reading the end of the arc.
    It jumps arround from place to place that if you had a line representing the story it would be as wavy as Medusa's hair.
The Good
  • Batfleck: I'm no different than everyone else, Affleck was the PERFECT Bruce Wayne and Batman, he fits the mask and suit perfectly, he nails the character and showing how he is an actual skilled man working constantly on the Cave or on the computer shows me that we are getting one of the best adaptations of the Caped Crusader thus far, no disrispect to Keaton, Bale, Kilmer, Clooney nor West. Also might add something else, Jeremy Irons as Alfred fitted perfectly with Ben's Bruce Wayne, he is as good and faithful and definetly love his trash talk of what is basically is something of a son to him.
  • Alexander Luthor: Away from what i thought of the performence, Alexander Luthor concept of this young milenial, Zuckebergian, buisness man which is son of the ACTUAL Lex Luthor (this is Luthor Jr that we are talking), i really like and it changes it a bit from the classic Luthor concept, even if i like the classic Trump Luthor version.
  • Wonder Woman: For as much as i didn't liked the run time that we got actually of the Amazon were AMAZING, her character as Diana Prince high society member and Wonder Woman, Amazon Warrior were surprising, her and Ben who used to have my most skepticism have show me wrong and made me eat my words.
  • Another part of Superman: For most parts that i didn't like of the Last Son of Krypton, they were some that i loved, he being an actual hero and showing some parts of being human and hints of becoming more like the Classic Superman.
The MID-Part
  • The Dream Scene: Needless although well executed.
  • Doomsday battle: A bit meh but with some fun parts
  • Martha's photos and ''Martha is my Mom and Your's name'': The photos, those who watched the movie may get why i am skeptical on the scene, same with the Martha is Mom and Your's name thing.
  • Jimmy: A bit disapointed on Zack having killed Jimmy, although this is one i think will be changed on the Director Cut.
  • Death of Superman: Too early to have gotten the Man of Tomorrow's death, as you have gotten rid of one of your biggest character biggest stories that you could had lead up to, a bit dissapointed on it but there is at least more stories besides it that can be used.
  • Luthor Sr?: Where is he, what happened? Hopefully it is explained in a future film, be it that Luthor Jr is a clone, or that Sr is hidding in the shadows or he being the villain on JL, i want answers on this.
Personally i liked the film although i would only recomend it to those who want to follow the DCEU and Extreme DC Fans, a way to describe the movie would be What if Iron Man 2 happened for DC, it has good points and certainly BAD points but for what it's suposed to do, it works at least.
Waiting for JL although now i am a bit less hopefull.

Finally saw it.

Let's be frank, Snyder is a clumsy film maker. I don't think he is an altogether bad one but, in an interesting contrast with directors like Christopher Nolan who sometimes insult audience's intelligence by belabouring expositional dialogue, Snyder tends to assault the senses by belabouring the plot itself. The risk with this movie was always too much stuffing and too much to do, and so that has proven. In any event, Snyder is never going to craft a neat, snappy, poignant and understated film.

So be it. Because he clearly loves his comics and, for me, he has a better emotive understanding of them than any other director working in this ludicrously saturated genre. Along with Batfleck, he has produced the most convincing and authentic screen Batman to date. He has shown a degree of courage (rarely acknowledged or appreciated) to actually explore the character of Superman and his cultural relevance. He has also - inevitably - given Wonder Woman fans a lot to cheer about.

I think Snyder knows his limitations as well as we do, and he has successfully worked within them to give us a technically mediocre, loud, and sententious movie that is nevertheless a delight to this old Batman fan and cause for a great deal of optimism.

Now give me more Batfleck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"