The Dark Knight Batsuit Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
C. Lee liked it as well, so did his friends and family.

"Nice coat" was a fairly weak line, but not actually physically painful in the same way as some of the desperately earnest "taglines" found elsewhere. "It's not who I am on the inside, but what I do that defines me". Really? No ****. I went for a piss somewhere in the middle of act two and the entire premise of the film passed me by, so I'm glad our hero brought me up to speed with the emotional context, there.

"Nice coat" was a fairly weak line, but not actually physically painful in the same way as some of the desperately earnest "taglines" found elsewhere. "It's not who I am on the inside, but what I do that defines me". Really? No ****. I went for a piss somewhere in the middle of act two and the entire premise of the film passed me by, so I'm glad our hero brought me up to speed with the emotional context, there.

That was an excellent line. Just Bale's delivery of it was surprisingly disappointing.

That was an excellent line. Just Bale's delivery of it was surprisingly disappointing.

It was a line. There's nothing excellent about dialogue that simply repeats dialogue from earlier in the movie. That may be the laziest style of screenwriting/writing that there is.

Nice coat wasn't funny at all, IMO. Especially in the scene it was used in. The big reveal of Batman, and he cracks a lame one liner to a homeless guy.

Meh.

Nolan should have cut to the train right at the moment Batman head-butts Falcone.

Is it just me or did a font/type size change just take place...?

It was a line. There's nothing excellent about dialogue that simply repeats dialogue from earlier in the movie. That may be the laziest style of screenwriting/writing that there is.

It is not lazy if his repetition of it has significance.

Also, whether the line is good or not and whether it should have been used twice or not are different issues.

I do think it would have been better if Batman came up with it by himself, and Rachel never found out that it's Bruce.

I think there could have been other ways for Bruce to reveal that he is Batman. That line is ****. If I am about to go take down some ninjas, I don't stop and come up with a line at all. I just jump of the building and do work. That scene didn't need to be anymore than Batman picking up Racheal and the kid and delivering them to safety. I am of course refering to the "what I am underneath" line.

It is not lazy if his repetition of it has significance.

Oh, it's still lazy. I don't care what it implies about his "realization that Rachel was right" or the ridiculous "who is he underneath" connotation. It's just pure laziness, and to boot, the execution of it was poor. This seems to have become the "de facto" screenwriting tool for showing character development/depth in movies these days. Instead of actual dialogue, we get "buzz lines" like this is and "Still haven't given up on me?" "Nevah!" nonsense.

I blame THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION for this, although it seems every movie since about 1990 has featured this structural "brilliance".

Oh, it's still lazy. I don't care what it implies about his "realization that Rachel was right" or the ridiculous "who is he underneath" connotation. It's just pure laziness, and to boot, the execution of it was poor. This seems to have become the "de facto" screenwriting tool for showing character development/depth in movies these days. Instead of actual dialogue, we get "buzz lines" like this is and "Still haven't given up on me?" "Nevah!" nonsense.

I blame THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION for this, although it seems every movie since about 1990 has featured this structural "brilliance".

So then, given that Batman is supposed to reveal his identity to Rachel in some way at that moment, what would you prefer he say? Putting aside the issue of whether he should be revealing his identity to Rachel. Should he have said just "It's me, Bruce."?

So then, given that Batman is supposed to reveal his identity to Rachel in some way at that moment, what would you prefer he say? Putting aside the issue of whether he should be revealing his identity to Rachel. Should he have said just "It's me, Bruce."?

Honestly? He really doesn't need to say anything there. He could easily have just looked into her eyes and struggled with it and not said a word. He's The Batman. He doesn't need to make a speech to get his point across, and he certainly doesn't need to steal someone else's words. If he has to say something, he could easily say something that wasn't already said earlier in the film. You can't just repeat Rachel's "lesson that Bruce didn't need to learn in the first place, he was just hiding behind a playboy veneer" and expect it to have any meaning on Bruce's end.

Honestly? He really doesn't need to say anything there. He could easily have just looked into her eyes and struggled with it and not said a word. He's The Batman. He doesn't need to make a speech to get his point across, and he certainly doesn't need to steal someone else's words. If he has to say something, he could easily say something that wasn't already said earlier in the film. You can't just repeat Rachel's "lesson that Bruce didn't need to learn in the first place, he was just hiding behind a playboy veneer" and expect it to have any meaning on Bruce's end.

That was my exact thought. If you're Batman, why say anything at all right there? It's like I have thought many times, they kind of beat us over the head with information when it was clear the first time.

Well, we could suppose that Rachel was fairly perceptive, and able to 2 + 2 without having it drilled into her. In which case something like:

Rachel: Who are you?

Batman: Someone who cares. About you. About this city.

Rachel: OMFG BRUCE!!??

I'm no writer, but I would have cringed a lot less at that.

It's not a bad MOMENT, and I like what's happening there, with Bruce, knowing he might die telling Rachel that he's not the carefree jerk he pretended to be, and that he took her words to heart, it's just not an excellent line itself.

Well, we could suppose that Rachel was fairly perceptive, and able to 2 + 2 without having it drilled into her. In which case something like:

Rachel: Who are you?

Batman: Someone who cares. About you. About this city.

Rachel: OMFG BRUCE!!??

I'm no writer, but I would have cringed a lot less at that.

Good line regwec. I like this alot better.

It's not the line that bothers me as much as it's Katie Holmes' stupid blank expression that immediately follows.

It's not the line that bothers me as much as it's Katie Holmes' stupid blank expression that immediately follows.

You can't blame Katie though. That is the way she was conditioned to act by TC.

"Still havent given up on me" was great. I find it quite natural. Bruce makes an exclamation on Alfred's trust on him. Come on people dont be so picky.

And that "underneath" line, well reqwek yours is bad, suitable for a chick-flick and "dude, its me bruce" is bad and over simplistic. If i was in that suit, i would have said some quote we had shared to show who i am, what i represent and what the hell i am doing on that rooftop. With this bruce shows all that, without saying his name or taking off his mask. Jeez!

The problem with "nice coat" was that it was made at batman's first triumph, first appearence, the first scene that can really see his face. Its bad!
I know they tried to make a joke and even show us how surprised/shocked the homeless dude was (like in the superman movies, when he is flying for the first time and people just stand there watching him drooling and he says "hi". Its supposed to make a connection between the drooling viewer and the wonder, so that the viewer of the wonder can actually believe it and not think its the booze or the heat. There are a lot of stuff in BB showing people reacting to the sight of batman. notice the carpark guard when the batmobile breaks the beam! lol), but....had it been sometime else, it would have worked better.

It's not a bad MOMENT, and I like what's happening there, with Bruce, knowing he might die telling Rachel that he's not the carefree jerk he pretended to be, and that he took her words to heart, it's just not an excellent line itself.

My sentiments exactly.

Well it didnt sound that good there, true, but when rachel scolded him at the hotel it did apply well.
He was being a reckless jerk and claiming that he is a guy who cares and helps. She just told him that "its not.....defines you". Which is from a book. I think from Hemingway.

it is ****ing brilliant and great filmmaking. Sorry if you don't get how film works. It's a certain style, and not for everything, but worked very well imo. I think it was a great way of him telling her that he was Bruce without blatantly saying it, while also clearly distinguishing it as a major theme of the film. I did hate some of the one-liners like the cop "At least tell me what it looks like..." I dont see how Nolan kept that in, but it was likely due to pacing and maybe he didnt shoot coverage for it.

it is ****ing brilliant and great filmmaking. Sorry if you don't get how film works. It's a certain style, and not for everything, but worked very well imo. I think it was a great way of him telling her that he was Bruce without blatantly saying it, while also clearly distinguishing it as a major theme of the film. I did hate some of the one-liners like the cop "At least tell me what it looks like..." I dont see how Nolan kept that in, but it was likely due to pacing and maybe he didnt shoot coverage for it.
I hope i dont look like a representative of nolan's, but what the hell has that line got to do with it?
Its a superhero movie. A serious one but some few jokes, easter eggs and stuff are to be expected. That "how it looks like" scene was another scene about people reacting to batman and getting completely disorganised and awed.
I mean, if you were a cop in his place you could say "wtf you re talking about? What tank? Tell me what it looks like!" And then you see it, your eyes widen and you re left speechless. I think it would happen in normal life if boyscouts flew or giant batpeople roamed the streets.
Go watch some french cinema if you want empty stares to the horizon and pretentious poetic sh**.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"