Justice League Ben Affleck IS Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 6

That's pretty much where I'm at. On one hand, I feel for the guy a bit because he's obviously going through some ruff stuff with his personal life and all, but at the end of the day just make a choice and stick by it. I think he could give us a good Bats and Bruce with a good script, but if he's not passionate about it, give it to one of the many actors who would be chomping at the bit to play the part.

I think his indecision stemmed from WB shifting gears and ditching the more adult, ambitious, thematically rich approach to the universe he initially signed on to be a part of. He didn't want to be a generic Batman in a generic, paint by numbers, MCU-esque universe. Now that Hamada's here and is righting the ship, we're back on track. That's how I interpret it. He wanted out because this isn't the Batman he signed on to be.

ccna8Mt.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually think he is passionate about it, his BvS performance speaks volumes about that. I think the problem is the rough stuff with his private life, the JL fiasco and his latest movie failing almost at the same time. A lot of people tend to hide in work when things go wrong in the personal aspect, but if both things go wrong, then of course the questions start. If anything, I hope he stays, because there's nothing better for a comeback than a Matt Reeves Batman movie and securing WB's $$$ for whatever movie he wants to direct next. Leaving now would be IMO a dumb career move, especially now that the next film is in good hands.

I think his indecision stemmed from WB shifting gears and ditching the more adult, ambitious, thematically rich approach to the universe he initially signed on to be a part of. He didn't want to be a generic Batman in a generic, paint by numbers, MCU-esque universe. Now that Hamada's here and is righting the ship, we're back on track. That's how I interpret it. He wanted out because this isn't the Batman he signed on to be.

Claiming that BvS is more adult is something I wouldn't agree with, but I'm sure the negative reception of BvS also wore on him. Affleck worked very hard to rebuild his career in Hollywood, and BvS was the beginning of what many viewed as a stumbling block for him.

Not his fault, as I think he did the best he could with a poorly written script, but I'm sure the negative publicity, on top of the personal woes was a lot to deal with.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of Gyllenhaal not being Batman meaning that Affleck is staying.

If Ben wanted out, they'd have to recast, period, even if they had to do it with someone other than the most heavily rumored replacement.

Claiming that BvS is more adult is something I wouldn't agree with, but I'm sure the negative reception of BvS also wore on him. Affleck worked very hard to rebuild his career in Hollywood, and BvS was the beginning of what many viewed as a stumbling block for him.

Not his fault, as I think he did the best he could with a poorly written script, but I'm sure the negative publicity, on top of the personal woes was a lot to deal with.

I don't see a whole lot of double amputees getting blown up in kids films. :o :p

I think the negative reception of BVS did wear on him for sure but I feel like Ben is much more inclined to leave over the character and the story being watered down, safe and bland rather than over other factors like critical reception.

Whether or not we think the BVS script was good, I believe its safe to say that Affleck liked it, otherwise he wouldn't have signed up.

I think Afflecks attitude to the role is depended on his view of the scripts.
He liked the BVS script, he liked the original JL script, but he didn't like the theatre cut.

It's about Afflecks opinion more than ours.

I don't see a whole lot of double amputees getting blown up kids' films. :o :p

I think the negative reception of BVS did wear on him for sure but I feel like Ben is much more inclined to leave over the character and the story being watered down, safe and bland rather than other factors like critical reception.

Violence doesn't equate to mature or adult. Otherwise we would consider Deadpool or Mortal Kombat mature. BvS goes for darker themes, but doesn't have the nuance to pull them off in a way that I associate with complex storytelling.

Though I'm sure Ben was frustrated by JL too. From all accounts, it seems like a case where nobody involved got what they wanted out of it.

But I do agree that we need Ben to be creatively invested if he is going to continue. And if Reeves hasn't inspired that in him, he should leave the project.

Ben during the BvS press junket stuff stated that it was the biggest box office of his career. They ain't signing them deal of 10million and up for just any movies these days, these franchises are the only type of films that could still get someone like Affleck PAID, which that certainly does come into play going forward. But this ain't up to him anymore tho, it is up to Reeves, regardless if he wants to stay or not, he let that power of choice go after stepping down from directing. At this point, Reeves>Batfleck when it comes to my own fanoby choice. Batman is in good hands with Reeves.

I really really liked Ben in BvS.
I haaaaaaaaated him in JL and his wishy washy bs has just made me want him gone.
BUT
If he could get back to the enthusiasm that he had BvS and manage to keep it throughout a potential trilogy, I’d actually be fine with him staying
I think the thing that would do that for him would be the first movie performing well.

I just don’t want someone around who at a moment’s whim will crack under the pressure and throw more fuel to the fire of negativity. He inherited a prestige role that Nolan/Bale worked hard to build back up. It’s so disrespectful to not care to nurture that during your run.

It was especially irritating around Justice League, when all his castmates were well poised and diplomatic with their remarks. Meanwhile he’s got several insiders reporting on his near departure, and during the press run nonchalantly publicly declares he’s “looking to transition out”. Come on.

To top it all off he can’t even get his personal life in order so it doesn’t seemingly affect his professional endeavors. He may look damn near perfect for the part, but if I’m a studio head it is not worth all these headaches.

Look at how Cavill has carried himself through three critically reviled/divisive films. In spite of the films letting him down, he still carries that Superman role with dignity. I’ve zero problems with him in this mantle for 10+ more years just off that effort alone.

Great post. Agreed. Right now, I don't trust Affleck, as much as I love him in the role. And spot on with Henry. Cavill carried the press junkets on his shoulders like a champ, even in the "Hello darkness my old friend.." meme.

Ben's ok, but hardly "the perfect Batman" or anything like that. I wouldn't miss him in the least. Cavill, on the other hand, had better get another shot.

Ben's ok, but hardly "the perfect Batman" or anything like that. I wouldn't miss him in the least. Cavill, on the other hand, had better get another shot.
This :up:
He’s fine when he wants to be but that’s about it.
I mean, that can work for something like this but there’s nothing wrong with wanting something more than FINE or serviceable.

Great post. Agreed. Right now, I don't trust Affleck, as much as I love him in the role. And spot on with Henry. Cavill carried the press junkets on his shoulders like a champ, even in the "Hello darkness my old friend.." meme.
I feel like that meme worked so well because of the contrast in their attitudes about the whole thing. :funny:

Cavill is seriously Superman

Violence doesn't equate to mature or adult. Otherwise we would consider Deadpool or Mortal Kombat mature. BvS goes for darker themes, but doesn't have the nuance to pull them off in a way that I associate with complex storytelling.

Though I'm sure Ben was frustrated by JL too. From all accounts, it seems like a case where nobody involved got what they wanted out of it.

But I do agree that we need Ben to be creatively invested if he is going to continue. And if Reeves hasn't inspired that in him, he should leave the project.

I was joking. I mean yes, the violence is a component that goes towards me considering it a movie for adults but it's not the only factor. It has a slow pacing, it deals with themes that relate to religion, politics, philosophy, morality, sociology, paranoia, loss, abuse, terrorism, omnipotence, it has 9/11 parallels, it has people getting shanked to death in a prison courtyard, it has graphic images of that sex trafficker's corpse, it has Batman mutilating criminals, it's really brutal and intense throughout. I would call it a film for adults, personally. But let's not turn this into a BVS debate.

I was joking. I mean yes, the violence is a component that goes towards me considering it a movie for adults but it's not the only factor. It has a slow pacing, it deals with themes that relate to religion, politics, philosophy, morality, sociology, paranoia, loss, abuse, terrorism, omnipotence, it has 9/11 parallels, it has people getting shanked to death in a prison courtyard, it has graphic images of that sex trafficker's corpse, it has Batman mutilating criminals, it's really brutal and intense throughout. I would call it a film for adults, personally. But let's not turn this into a BVS debate.

True. I was really reading more into the specific nature implied by calling a film adult, which can also, but not always, imply artistic maturity. I don't deny that Snyder was definitely attempting to handle more complex themes. The execution is where I wasn't a fan.

But yeah, as for Ben, at this point I would simply like to hear a commitment one way or the other.

Whether or not we think the BVS script was good, I believe its safe to say that Affleck liked it, otherwise he wouldn't have signed up.

I think Afflecks attitude to the role is depended on his view of the scripts.
He liked the BVS script, he liked the original JL script, but he didn't like the theatre cut.

It's about Afflecks opinion more than ours.

I tend to agree with this. However, I think Ben was not too big on the original Goyer BvS script, which is why he stipulated Chris Terrio to rewrite it.

I tend to agree with this. However, I think Ben was not too big on the original Goyer BvS script, which is why he stipulated Chris Terrio to rewrite it.
If we're to believe the crew, Terrio was actually brought on board before Affleck finalized his deal.

He seems to take things to heart in a big way. The critical drubbing of BvS, the failure of Live by Night and the disaster that was Justice League would leave anybody unenthusiastic going forward.

I think he was hoping for the critical prestige with the role that Nolan/Bale gave us (despite quibbles with the voice) and be the RDJ of a billion dollar franchise.

None of this came to pass and I think he wants to know just what WB intend to do moving forward before committing to anything.

I'm pretty stoked to see Henry take the lead and be Supes for a long time. I won't lie, if they would have re-cast I would have been devestated.

I echo the statement of Henry IS SUPERMAN. No doubt.

I cannot possibly see Ben moving forward with Batman and DC. I think right now hes just being quiet because the studio asked him not to cause even more of a raucus post JL. But he's leaving. This is a guy who didnt wanna do this to begin with but then bought into Snyder's vision and found something to sink his teeth into. But now thats all gone and WB is clearly looking to go the complete opposite direction of whatever vision Zack had in mind and Ben put all that mental and physical effort into the role, I mean, My God, look how much weight he packed on for it to gain muscle mass. He's now thinking he did it all for nothing and that he shouldve said no to WB like the FIRST 50 times they asked him.

I just don’t want someone around who at a moment’s whim will crack under the pressure and throw more fuel to the fire of negativity. He inherited a prestige role that Nolan/Bale worked hard to build back up. It’s so disrespectful to not care to nurture that during your run.

It was especially irritating around Justice League, when all his castmates were well poised and diplomatic with their remarks. Meanwhile he’s got several insiders reporting on his near departure, and during the press run nonchalantly publicly declares he’s “looking to transition out”. Come on.

To top it all off he can’t even get his personal life in order so it doesn’t seemingly affect his professional endeavors. He may look damn near perfect for the part, but if I’m a studio head it is not worth all these headaches.

Look at how Cavill has carried himself through three critically reviled/divisive films. In spite of the films letting him down, he still carries that Superman role with dignity. I’ve zero problems with him in this mantle for 10+ more years just off that effort alone.

:loco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"