Justice League Ben Affleck IS Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 6

Personally, Affleck is my favorite iteration of "on-screen" Batman thus far. My only gripe w/the movie, no it's not the killing, is that he wasn't a very good detective. When I saw the movie took place nearly two years after Man of Steel I was like...are you kidding me.

Then, in the press junket, seeing Bruce Wayne interact with Clark Kent, I thought for sure he knew Clark was Superman. Such a missed opportunity. I love his physical presence in the film though. Snyder did a phenomenal job directing shots/getting some great iconic poses from the comics. I also love the suit and think it's my favorite seen on screen. I thought the voice modulator was a nice touch...I don't care if people think it sounds "robotic" it served a great purpose.

And the warehouse scene, holy hell, that, to me, is the best action set piece in a super hero film thus far. In a way, it just felt so immersive. The hits actually felt brutal and that they were connecting. The stunt team did a phenomenal job constructing that bit. If I could have an entire movie like the BvS Batman, I wouldn't hesitate to accept it. I think Reeves could direct Ben very well and get a similar, but better, performance out of Ben.

I'd like for him to stay on. I believe in Ben Affleck being a great Batman and I'm hoping they don't replace him. So far, all the signs are kind of good.

Personally, Affleck is my favorite iteration of "on-screen" Batman thus far. My only gripe w/the movie, no it's not the killing, is that he wasn't a very good detective. When I saw the movie took place nearly two years after Man of Steel I was like...are you kidding me.

Then, in the press junket, seeing Bruce Wayne interact with Clark Kent, I thought for sure he knew Clark was Superman. Such a missed opportunity. I love his physical presence in the film though. Snyder did a phenomenal job directing shots/getting some great iconic poses from the comics. I also love the suit and think it's my favorite seen on screen. I thought the voice modulator was a nice touch...I don't care if people think it sounds "robotic" it served a great purpose.

And the warehouse scene, holy hell, that, to me, is the best action set piece in a super hero film thus far. In a way, it just felt so immersive. The hits actually felt brutal and that they were connecting. The stunt team did a phenomenal job constructing that bit. If I could have an entire movie like the BvS Batman, I wouldn't hesitate to accept it. I think Reeves could direct Ben very well and get a similar, but better, performance out of Ben.

I'd like for him to stay on. I believe in Ben Affleck being a great Batman and I'm hoping they don't replace him. So far, all the signs are kind of good.

The point of him not knowing who Clark Kent was was about focusing in on how Bruce saw Superman as only an alien and was blinded to any other possibility. In order for Bruce to project all of his rage onto Superman, he had to see Superman as a threat to be destroyed, so psychologically, it made sense that he would have tunnel vision. A more focused Batman, which this one wasn't, as he was driven more by emotion and personal vengeance, would have likely focused on an possible alternate identity to a perceived threat. In fact, a less emotional Bruce wouldn't even have seen Superman as a threat, or at least he would have kept tabs on him, but he wouldn't have felt the need to go after him.

The point of him not knowing who Clark Kent was was about focusing in on how Bruce saw Superman as only an alien and was blinded to any other possibility. In order for Bruce to project all of his rage onto Superman, he had to see Superman as a threat to be destroyed, so psychologically, it made sense that he would have tunnel vision. A more focused Batman, which this one wasn't, as he was driven more by emotion and personal vengeance, would have likely focused on an possible alternate identity to a perceived threat. In fact, a less emotional Bruce wouldn't even have seen Superman as a threat, or at least he would have kept tabs on him, but he wouldn't have felt the need to go after him.

Exactly. Idc what people say, so much of BvS just flat out goes over their heads.

I think Affleck showed a lot of potential in his first outing as Batman, potential being the operative word here as BvS isn't really the type of film that allows for the kind of character development prospective Batman actors generally sign up for; it's essentially a mash-up sequel. That's one of the reasons I was so looking forward to seeing what he might bring to a solo film where the character is given ample room to express a wider/more complex range of emotions and what have you.

Unfortunately, so much has transpired between the release of BvS and now that I've become a little soured on the prospect of him sticking around for the long haul. I mean, I'm not averse to it; I just find myself a lot less invested than I was before. Everyone loves a good comeback story, though. And nothing would please me more than if Ben were to somehow get his **** together and give us a Batman film the likes of which we haven't seen since the Nolan era.

Until then...

RecentClutteredKingfisher-size_restricted.gif

I just want Ben in the role and nobody else. I'll accept a new Batman only when they reboot the whole cinematic universe in 15 years. With a completely clean slate, I'll be ok with someone else in the role.

In general, the lack of "World's Greatest Detective" on the big screen has been my biggest disappointment. Even in the Nolan films, despite them attempting to show SOME detective skills in TDK, Bruce was always an idiot getting the wool pulled over his eyes.
Every one of those films has a moment of him being taken by complete, or near complete, surprise by something that, in the comics, he would have revealed right BEFORE the villain.

That said, even in the comics, there are times where Bruce misses something, and it's usually because he became too focused on/distracted by/obsessed with something else.
As such, this is actually why BvS is one of the few instances where it did NOT bother me.
As much as I REALLY wanted a live action version of anything like these scenes:
[YT]K0MaPIi4ulk[/YT]

Seriously, how bad ash would it have been if he said, "Tell me, do you bleed. . . Clark?" or some variation much better written.

Or this:
https://youtu.be/ME66HTeNbHY?t=49s

But the character arc of Batman in BvS was driven by his obsession, and the subsequent blind-spot it created, made this not really an option.
That said, they could have played with Superman revealing his knowledge a bit more.

I want to see Ben in at least one good solo Batman movie, after that if he decides to quit, I will at least have that one movie but If he leaves before that.. it will be a huge missed opportunity.

Yea I remember listening to an interview with Zack/Deborah/Charles and the interviewer asked that question. Their response was along the lines of, no, but he doesn't really care to know at that point. I forgot how it was exactly phrased but it was something like that. I would imagine it was for that very reason that you stated. His mindset was solely focused on Superman the alien. Also, I think I remember them saying that they wanted a contrast between Batman and Lex in that Bruce does not want to go after people in Superman's life.

I want to see Ben in at least one good solo Batman movie, after that if he decides to quit, I will at least have that one movie but If he leaves before that.. it will be a huge missed opportunity.

Likewise. It'd be a shame if he left with the dubious distinction of being the only big-screen Batman not to star in a Batman solo.

I think people just have to understand that BvS Batman was a) intentionally the lowest point of the character and b) not meant to be the hero of the story, but a villain with a redemption angle.

I think people just have to understand that BvS Batman was a) intentionally the lowest point of the character and b) not meant to be the hero of the story, but a villain with a redemption angle.

Correct. I would like to see Ben play Bruce/Batman at least one more time as well, when his character has left all the baggage from BvS/JL behind, and he is back on track.

Once I understood that aspect of Ben's Batman the movie took a whole new turn for me. Admittedly, when I saw the movie the first time in theaters, I was completely polarized by the killing and brutally ruthless way he dismantled Superman during their fight. Like, i was really uncomfortable with it, it was overwhelming. But upon rewatches and understanding what the story was trying to convey and the themes it now doesnt bother me and I personally think it makes for a fascinating deconstructive character piece. Its not easy seeing your favorite hero in such a broken, dark place, even someone like Batman but I appreciate what they were going for with Bruce's from BvS to JL.

Once I understood that aspect of Ben's Batman the movie took a whole new turn for me. Admittedly, when I saw the movie the first time in theaters, I was completely polarized by the killing and brutally ruthless way he dismantled Superman during their fight. Like, i was really uncomfortable with it, it was overwhelming. But upon rewatches and understanding what the story was trying to convey and the themes it now doesnt bother me and I personally think it makes for a fascinating deconstructive character piece. Its not easy seeing your favorite hero in such a broken, dark place, even someone like Batman but I appreciate what they were going for with Bruce's from BvS to JL.

Seeing Superman writhing in pain was really striking. The fight was so un-glamorous, dirty, ugly. None of that choreographed, clean, tidy stuff where the fighters always look good throughout. Cavill is a handsome man but his crazed expressions, wet matted hair and his movements were anything but attractive or graceful like they might have been in a regular action movie. The whole thing truly felt like a real fight. Like a mixed martial arts or a boxing match. Ok, now I want to watch BVS again. It's actually been a while.

superman-batman-rooftop-189287.png

PS

Batman's wax figure at madame tussauds

Dd0G16-VAAAxrG4.jpg:orig

Seeing Superman writhing in pain was really striking. The fight was so un-glamorous, dirty, ugly. None of that choreographed, clean, tidy stuff where the fighters always look good throughout. Cavill is a handsome man but his crazed expressions, wet matted hair and his movements were anything but attractive or graceful like they might have been in a regular action movie. The whole thing truly felt like a real fight. Like a mixed martial arts or a boxing match. Ok, now I want to watch BVS again. It's actually been a while.

You're exactly right, the fight was ugly, mean and dirty. It wasn't the fun, rip roaring epic battle that I had pictured in my head for 3 years when I thought about how you would stage a Batman vs. Superman fight. I imagined a fight with Batman more on the defensive side as the fight takes place in the air and on the streets on Gotham as Batman uses his Batplane and Batmobile offensive measures against Superman to no avail as Superman toys with him and chases him throughout the city. But what Zack gave us, it was up close and personal and mean and it was hard to watch the first time. Upon rewatches I now love the fight for what it is I still wince uncomfortably at some moments.

Last edited:

I love how brutal that and the warehouse fight scenes were. You could feel every hit.

Ben is definitely getting back into shape...hopefully an announcement on Batman is forthcoming.

Dd8jII5VMAA1erJ.jpg:orig

Dd8i_RwVwAEw8Y7.jpg:orig

Dd8i_R0VwAASbIx.jpg:orig

Dd8i_RyVQAATJd5.jpg:orig

His face is slim and he's built like a brick **** house again. Whether it's for Batman or just for himself, I'm glad he's back to looking like a total badass. Also he couldn't look more like real life Bruce Wayne if he tried.

It's definitely for some movie, hope he is staying as Batman.

I hope is primarily for himself, although of course I want him to stay as Batman, getting into martial arts and fitness helped RDJ with his sobriety, and the same could be here.

He certainly looks great.

Idk, maybe its the beard but his face still looks a lot fuller to me than it was two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"