Rogue One Ben Mendelsohn is Director Orson Krennic in Rogue One

I was disappointed to find out that he wasn't playing Moff Tarkin.

Empire-Rogue-One-cover2.jpg

I was disappointed to find out that he wasn't playing Moff Tarkin.

I'm glad Mendelsohn is not Tarkin but his own new character.
One, keeping Tarkin as just a cameo we still get his familiar presence, but it preserves Cushing's take on the character.
Two, Mendelsohn looks nothing like Tarkin at the time
Three, it gives us a brand new dynamic, a struggle within the Imperial forces themselves, instead old allies like Tarkin/Vader, we get someone to challenge Vader instead.
Krennic is more of a threatening counterpart to Vader, not surprisingly dressed in white, and with his own personal squad of "death-troopers" which only he controls, dressed in black.
Setting up a somewhat Vader v. Krennic story within the story; with them conspiring and backstabbing to move up the Imperial ranks and justify their means; expanding on the "faith" in the Force v. faith in technology theme.

Last edited:
Also, Tarkin has plot immunity, because he dies in Episode 4. This Krennic guy *doesn't*, and so there can be legitimate uncertainty over whether he makes it out of the movie alive.

( Mind, I am 90% sure he will be killed by Vader. . . )

( Mind, I am 90% sure he will be killed by Vader. . . )

Yeah it's pretty definite Krennic's fate is to be outdone and taken out by Vader., or could be Jyn and her group.

Just hope it isn't the usual dismissive Vader vs. underling choke out, but something more intriguing.
That he is a smart, effective, and hopefully terrifying (in his own way), more a counterpart villain to Vader, and a legit rival.

717cf72b324850fb17d8f0d0784ff11a

The way he parts the admirals here, I hope that we see some huge egos vying for power, which play out between him and Vader with mutual respect and admiration, ...to the last.;)

Last edited:
Krennic is the character that i am most looking forward to, mainly due to the calibre of the actor, plus the fact he could be Vader's rival. I am sure the rebels will be heroic but i put my money on Krennic being arguably the most memorable part of the film character-wise. I am sure he won't make it out of the film but i would love it if he did. A Vader choke death would be dissapointing, I would rather a poignant death or epic

Last edited:
Gareth Edwards reveals new details about Rogue One's "working class" villain

While speaking with USA Today, ROGUE ONE director Gareth Edwards spilled a few details about the galaxies newest villain, including his working-class roots.

"It feels like if the Empire ever have a job vacancy, they go to the Royal Shakespeare Company to headhunt people. I like the idea that Ben’s character was much more working-class and rose in the ranks through sheer force of personality and ideas."

Many of the top officers in the Empire, such as Grand Moff Tarkin, were portrayed as upper-class types and Gareth Edwards recalls Mendelsohn asking if he should adopt "a very posh English accent." Edwards shot that idea down as he preferred that Krennic, the man in charge of the advanced weapons research wing of the Imperial military, not "be a part of that boys club." Unfortunately that working-class background leads to Mendelsohn's character hitting a "brick wall in the hierarchy where they won’t let him in the club and it’s going to turn into a them-or-us situation: either Krennic or Tarkin and the others."

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/gar...ls-about-rogue-ones-working-class-villain-247

Wonder how much of Mendelsohn's native accent he'll keep.

So, a week after the film's release and no discussion on Mendelsohn's role?

I thought he was excellent as Krennic. A proper Imperial prick. He was a guy you would love to hate.

My only critique is that he could've had more screen time and presence. He was much more charismatic in the Catalyst novel.

I loved how he was trying to politically outmaneuver Tarkin.

I adored the juxtaposition of his all white look against the general black and grayness of the Empire. I thought he was suitably threatening and a credible villain, though I just wish they kept that scene of walking on the beach with his cape gliding in the water. But alas, reshoots.

I liked Krennic a lot. He was probably my favorite film villain of the year. Ruthless, cruel and cunning, he was a worthy adversary for our heroes.

I liked Krennic and Mendelsohn's performance (he really knows how to sell a sniveling weasel of a villain) but I wished there was more nuance to him. We saw some cool shades of gray with the Rebellion in this and it would've been very complimentary to see something similar in the Imperial characters. There was a little bit of that with Galen but he was never a true believer. I would have liked to have gotten Krennic's point of view. His justification for his actions with him knowing full well that they were wrong. Instead he was just evil through and through. His friendship with Galen didn't really play.

I can agree with that. Mendelsohn talked about how Krennic was a guy who pulled himself up by the bootstraps in order to become a prominent member in the Empire and how old-fashioned he was, citing his older blaster. It would've been nice to see that fleshed out a bit. Doesn't need to be with Galen, but it could've played off nicely with Tarkin who clearly looks down on him. The subtext is there, but I feel like they could've made it clearer.

I just finished reading the Catalyst book, and Krennic is really portrayed as a misunderstood baddy. And his friendship with Galen is a big focus as well.

I loved Mendelsohn's performance but it's too bad the movie didn't really show any of that.

I liked what he did but they did not give him enough to do given the actor's talent, plus it was a shame they cut some of his trailer stuff out. His deleted scenes will be interesting

He could have used a little more depth, more of his friendship with Galen would have been good, but he served his purpose. He certainly wasn't a bad villain, but in comparing this to Episode VII, that's one of the few points I've got to give to TFA. Kylo Ren was much more memorable than Krennic, but he was so good that anyone following him up was going to have a tough job.

I thought he was probably the best character in the film, that said I don't see why they didn't just make him a young Tarkin. Their personalities are virtually identical, and they even have the same job.

I thought he was probably the best character in the film, that said I don't see why they didn't just make him a young Tarkin. Their personalities are virtually identical, and they even have the same job.

Young Tarkin? This film takes place moments before A New Hope. I'm glad Ben played a new character in Krennic. It helps add layers to the vast Imperial hierarchy. It would have been boring to just have Tarkin, a known commodity and one of the top dogs, as the villain.

Young Tarkin? This film takes place moments before A New Hope. I'm glad Ben played a new character in Krennic. It helps add layers to the vast Imperial hierarchy. It would have been boring to just have Tarkin, a known commodity and one of the top dogs, as the villain.

Well, I meant at the start of the film.

The thing is, their characters are almost identical. The only difference is that Krennic isn't Vader's equal. I have to wonder if Krennic was meant to be Tarkin in an early draft.

Ben was so great. He really chewed up the scenery well.

I don't think he would have necessarily worked as well as Tarkin though. He didn't strike me as being Tarkin-like, instead he was in a different position in the empire.

Mendelsohn was fantastic.
I absolutely LOVE the shot of when he looks up and sees his creation ready to vaporize him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"