Best action sequence of 2012 - Nomination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved all the chuck Norris scenes in the expendables
And actually, I liked the second bane vs batman fight better than the first. Even though it was short

Now that I think about it. I'm changing my vote to Arlovski vs Unisols and Van Damme vs Lundgren in Universal Soldier: Regeneration only because some of The Raid's choreography got repetitive.

That's why I enjoyed going Through the floor sequence the most. It involved everything. Gun-play, martial arts, etc.

That's why I enjoyed going Through the floor sequence the most. It involved everything. Gun-play, martial arts, etc.

That was perhaps the best scene in the movie. It was pure high-octane.

Thematically and considering the stakes in that scene, it's brilliant. Probably a bit too short though.

Yep. It was bloody brilliant. Shame that the scene was too short. I don't know why Nolan cut so much out of the final battle but I'm guessing the IMAX limitations were to blame.

I would've happily sacrificed IMAX for a longer film. That scene as shot brilliantly as well.

A pretty good year for action in general.

Thematically and considering the stakes in that scene, it's brilliant. Probably a bit too short though.
Certainly couldve used a few more minutes. I hate when the epic final battle is way too short

Bane vs batman was pretty stiff and obviously choreographed. But I loved the dialogue during the scene and the back break

It doesn't compare to the butt whippin Bane gave Batman in the comics. It was tame by comparison. You're right about the dialogue in that scene but it felt pointless and made little sense once they blended Bane's origin's with Talia's. Though I was surprised Nolan attempted the back break it didn't look that brutal or painful to me. Especially compared to the comic. It's probably the best fight scene in the Nolan trilogy though. And round 2 could've been better. It was decent, but the highlight of that fight was when Batman told Bane he had his "permission to die".

Avengers NY Battle
The Raid lab/kitchen fight
Expendables 2 opening sequence
Universal Soldier (Adkins vs Lungdren)
Act of Valor 1st Navy SEAL rescue mission
Chronicle final battle

I loved TDKR but i couldnt get it up for any of the action sequences. Bane V Batman was kinda disappointing to be honest. There was little creativity with the hand to hand, just basically two guys exchanging punches. These are supposed to be two very accomplished martial artists. I wanted to see a greater skill level.

Last edited:
Did you honestly believe Nolan was going to adapt that malicious beating from the comics into the film? Dude, little kids were crying at my showing and the audience was stunned silent. I think that was enough. Nolan got the point across. He didn't need to add that gruesome and crushing spine-break from the comics to sell it further. On film, no one would have bought Batman surviving that. So, of course, the scene was tame compared to Knightfall. It had to be.

1. Battle for New York in The Avengers
2. Batman vs. Bane: Round 1 in The Dark Knight Rises
3. BatCat chasing Talia in The Dark Knight Rises

Honorable mention goes to the fight in Shanghi in Skyfall and Hulk versus Thor on the Helicarrier. Quite a few solid ones this year.

T"Challa;24910677 said:
I loved TDKR but i couldnt get it up for any of the action sequences. Bane V Batman was kinda disappointing to be honest. There was little creativity with the hand to hand, just basically two guys exchanging punches. These are supposed to be two very accomplished martial artists. I wanted to see a greater skill level.

Agreed Batman hardly bled in that fight. It COULD'VE been more brutal.

Did you honestly believe Nolan was going to adapt that malicious beating from the comics into the film? Dude, little kids were crying at my showing and the audience was stunned silent. I think that was enough. Nolan got the point across. He didn't need to add that gruesome and crushing spine-break from the comics to sell it further. On film, no one would have bought Batman surviving that. So, of course, the scene was tame compared to Knightfall. It had to be.

Why am I not surprised you'd be the first to respond to my post? It's funny that you say people wouldn't have bought Batman surviving that beating he had in the comics if Nolan went that route. B/c some believed it to be a huge stretch that punching Bruce's vertebra back in repeatedly until he was able to stand straight would help him walk again. I mean really that's what it will take for a man with a broken spine to walk again? The doctors that specialize in helping paraplegics walk have been doing it all wrong then. It was already a stretch the way Nolan executed it. He recovered in 3 months. I'll admit my expectations were too high but the fight still didn't impress me. It just wasn't brutal enough for me like it should've been. And I couldn't care less if kids were crying at your showing. I was just a kid when I first read that story where Bane broke Batman.

Skyfall - Shanghai fight scene
The Avengers - Helicarrier scene
The Expendables 2 - Opening scene

Agreed Batman hardly bled in that fight. It COULD'VE been more brutal.

They would not have been able to show blood and keep the pg 13 rating especially since the movie has many dark themes and intense scenes not too mention quite a bit of swearing. also His back wasn't broken just really out of place

Blood was not needed in the Bane v Batman fight. The silence, loud hits and grunts/sounds of exhaustion from Batman made the fight brutal enough. I think the Break the Bat was a cool moment but it just made things complicated and led to a silly plot point.

For me Avengers and Expendables 2, Django Unchained, Jack Reacher, Skyfall, had some of the more entertaining and memorable action scenes this year. The Dark Knight Rises only had one really decent fight scene but it was over all to soon (Bane Vs Bats round 1). Bane Vs Bat's round 2 is a joke and is laughable the more you watch it. Matter of fact, the action has been average at best for the entire Nolan Bat trilogy, none of them are all that memorable either. But the movies themselves are still very good.

The second Bane/Batman fight was so lacking, it is kinda understandable considering there was 1000+ Extras surrounding them and that's crazy enough to shoot and choreograph but still, very meh fight.

Why am I not surprised you'd be the first to respond to my post?

Because you're Elevator Man?

It's funny that you say people wouldn't have bought Batman surviving that beating he had in the comics if Nolan went that route. B/c some believed it to be a huge stretch that punching Bruce's vertebra back in repeatedly until he was able to stand straight would help him walk again.

Actually, it's not that much of a stretch. Read medical journals. Inmates from third world countries have tried unorthodox methods to heal broken bones (including the neck and spine) and torn connective tissue (such as the ACL and MCL).

I mean really that's what it will take for a man with a broken spine to walk again? The doctors that specialize in helping paraplegics walk have been doing it all wrong then. It was already a stretch the way Nolan executed it. He recovered in 3 months. I'll admit my expectations were too high but the fight still didn't impress me. It just wasn't brutal enough for me like it should've been. And I couldn't care less if kids were crying at your showing. I was just a kid when I first read that story where Bane broke Batman.

And I could care less if you were such a "BAMFER" at a young age. The fact of the matter is Nolan doesn't believe in selling excessive and over-the-top violence to get his point across. On the subject however, it's funny would bring that up when Nolan was criticized by right-wing outlets and soccer moms for the 'gruesome' violence and anarchic message in TDK.

I'm terribly sorry Nolan didn't cater to your desires though. Perhaps the next director will forgo the younger demographic just for you.

Because you're Elevator Man?

Actually, it's not that much of a stretch. Read medical journals. Inmates from third world countries have tried unorthodox methods to heal broken bones (including the neck and spine) and torn connective tissue (such as the ACL and MCL).

And I could care less if you were such a "BAMFER" at a young age. The fact of the matter is Nolan doesn't believe in selling excessive and over-the-top violence to get his point across. On the subject however, it's funny would bring that up when Nolan was criticized by right-wing outlets and soccer moms for the 'gruesome' violence and anarchic message in TDK.

I'm terribly sorry Nolan didn't cater to your desires though. Perhaps the next director will forgo the younger demographic just for you.

:lmao:

You're right on the Money there with Nolan not using excessive and OTT violence.

:lmao:

You're right on the Money there with Nolan not using excessive and OTT violence.

He doesn't seem to even consider the concept. I use to wonder if it was because Chris was from UK but then I hear Jonah speak... :funny: It ain't that at all.

I definitely have to nominate the final siege in Skyfall. It is the only action sequence I really enjoyed all year. Everything else I found rather forgettable. Skyfall's siege was story driven and had some really unique Bond moments like the DB5 machine guns and Bond blowing up his own family home.

I have an intense dislike for the last chase scene of TDKR. Was it because it had Talia, a revelation and character I didn't like, or because because the ending action sequence of the Trilogy would be a chase that's only a quarter as impressive as the one in the middle of the second film and outshined by an earlier chase in the same freaking film? It never told a decent story either. Unlike the transport scene in TDK and Batman's return in Rises.

I liked the action in the Bourne legacy. Actually I quite liked that movie. Just watched it for a second time the other night and its definitely gone up in my eyes.

I have an intense dislike for the last chase scene of TDKR. Was it because it had Talia, a revelation and character I didn't like, or because because the ending action sequence of the Trilogy would be a chase that's only a quarter as impressive as the one in the middle of the second film and outshined by an earlier chase in the same freaking film? It never told a decent story either. Unlike the transport scene in TDK and Batman's return in Rises.

I kind of agree but it had the Bat which was absolutely amazing and Catwoman being awesome on the batpod so I loved the chase for it

I'm not a gore lover or one of those that want gore for gore's sake.
If Nolan made the fight as brutal as the comics it probably would've given the movie an R rating. It's probably part of the reason why he made it more psychological than physical. That approach works with his interpretation of Batman and Bane. But if Bane's getting used and you're adapting the fight scene where he breaks Batman then I'd expect it to be hard core brutal and bloody. Otherwise he shouldn't have used the character at all. Both fights in TDKR were tame for me by comparison to the comics.

I don't hate the fight scenes between Bane and Batman but I wasn't impressed with 'em either. And if you and many other's do enjoy 'em more power to you. Fight scenes just isn't Nolan's strong suit in this franchise, imo. I already admitted that I had my expectations too high on both fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"