Best and Worst of Marvel 2007

I totally forgot about Tigra for Worst Marvel Heroine of 2007.

Best Marvel Hero of 2007?
Bucky Barnes.

Who would have thought when Marvel announced the return of Bucky that it would be such a great decision. Unlike the return of Jason Todd, Marvel hasn't turned the idea into a joke.

Best Marvel Event of 2007?
Messiah Complex. I've stayed away from a lot of the crossovers lately. Burnt out, I guess. But Messiah Complex is easily the most engaging and narratively sound of the bunch. The story flows well from issue to issue and, although parts of it have been boring (Jamie and Layla, I'm looking at you), the majority of it has been logical in concept and great in execution.

I find the Jamie/Layla parts of Messiah Complex the best part. X-Factor is on par with Captain America, and Layla jumping into the future, possibly being stuck there, really has me intrigued. This last issue, where Jamie gets branded and Layla gets stripped of her clothes and has her head shaved really gave us a frightning look at the future of mutants.

BTW, yes, Marvel Tarot certainly deserves mention on the worst of 2007!

Yeah, I'd forgotten all about Mystic Arcana/Marvel Tarot until I looked at some top 300 lists from '07 to refresh my memory. It sucked so bad that I just put it out of my mind and never thought of it since it ended. :o

The Jamie/Layla parts represent something big, but I don't think they've been executed so well. On the surface, they're still just "X-characters in horribly oppressive future #9,217." We've seen this sort of thing many, many times before, and I find it too far removed and distracting from the X-Men's search for the baby and the mystery surrounding Sinister and the Marauders' aims, which I perceive to be the real meat of MC.

I suspect we can attribute the greater success of Bucky's resurrection to Ed Brubaker, as opposed to Jason Todd's Judd Winick. Better writer = better story. Go figure.

I know there is a lot of stink about this; but, I'm really withholding judgement until I see what comes afterwards. To get Slott on Spidey, it might very well be worth the end results. Sure, it was a little too much erasing all the past; but, I'm excited to see some new storylines.
That's kinda like saying I'm gonna wait until I see the negative psychological effects of that child's rape before coming out against pedophillia.

Heroes do not make selfish deals with Demons. Heroes give Demons the finger, knowing that their Aunt wouldn't want to be saved that way.

That's kinda like saying I'm gonna wait until I see the negative psychological effects of that child's rape before coming out against pedophillia.

Heroes do not make selfish deals with Demons. Heroes give Demons the finger, knowing that their Aunt wouldn't want to be saved that way.

That's if you see your heroes like Superman, a goody-goody who can do no wrong. I like to think of my heroes facing various dilemmas(sp?) and possibly not always making the right choice. The deal with Mephisto isn't a simple choice of what is right or wrong. Peter and MJ didn't sell their soul to save Aunt May's life. Peter would, just like with Uncle Ben, blamed himself for her death, and Peter and MJ had an ounce of faith that they would find each other again.

Face it, Spidey comics weren't really that good, anyway. What's the difference if we get a little shake up? It sure was better than Sins Past or The Other. At least, that was my opinion. (And, for all those old haters, doesn't Clone Saga seem better and better with each passing year? HAHA.)

You guys have a great New Years. I'm going out with some adults, and the kids are going to spend the evening with Grandma. I hope the upcoming year brings you all much joy and happiness. Personally, I think 2008 already looks good.

Oh, Superman can do wrong. He'd certainly never go for a deal with the devil though, you're right in that.

Might as well post in this thread as well. I'll tell ya, I really, really needed to restrain myself from throwing all the votes to Astonishing X-Men, mostly 'cause that book barely comes out enough to be considered a book at all, much less a Marvel bok.

Nova

Worst Marvel Hero of 2007?
Spider-Man. Fcking grow a pair, you little idiot.

Best Marvel Heroine of 2007?
Ms. Marvel. She really did step up this year. More in her own solo series than in Mighty Avengers, it has to be said.
(Honorary mention: Quasar)

Worst Marvel Heroine of 2007?
Elektra. I can't believe everyone forgot poor, crazy, evil, dead, Skrullified Elektra. Moreso than Wasp, or Tigra, or anyone else...Elektra is the one heroine this year who really got the shaft. Her standout moments were being revealed as a Skrull and getting kicked in the vagina.

Annihilation: Conquest

Worst Marvel Event of 2007?
One More Day

Best Team Book of 2007?
X-Factor. Not always consistently and not always to the standards I know it could be, but always a fun read nonetheless.
(Honorary mention: Runaways)

Worst Team Book of 2007?
New Avengers. This really should be the poster book for how not to write a team of known superheroes.

Best Relaunch of 2007?
Thor

Worst Relaunch of 2007?
Mm. None that I can really think of.

Best Fight of 2007?
Hulk vs Sentry

Worst Fight of 2007?
Hulk vs Dr. Strange
I mean, come on.

Best Moment of 2007?
axm2313sd9.jpg

Worst Moment of 2007?
One More Day

Best Mini of 2007?
Doctor Strange: The Oath

Worst Mini of 2007?
World War Hulk: Frontline. Don't tell me y'all have forgotten so quickly.

Best Ongoing of 2007?
Captain America

Worst Ongoing of 2007?
Pretty much the Ultimate universe as a whole has been rampantly unsatisfying this year. I mean, it was always unsatisfying, but this year it was really obvious.

Best Writer & Artist of 2007?
Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting for basically what was Marvel's dream team this year.
(Honorary mention: John Cassaday. Hell, I know he couldn't get a work out on time to save his own mother, but his art is still one of the best and strongest in the industry)
(XTREME honorary mention: Joe Quesada, for surprising the hell out of me. He could pretty easily get work as a regular artist if the EIC gig ever stops working out pleaseohpleaseohplease)

Worst Writer & Artist of 2007?
Brian Michael Bendis and Greg Land. Are you really surprised? No other writers fails to so very consistently disappoint and underwhelm. And even though Land has been doing less work this year, what he has done is still enough to seriously irk me.
(Honorary mention: Craig and Yost of New X-Men infamy always get a mention purely for being so close to good and then sucking)

Best Marvel Villain of 2007?
The Hulk
(Very honorable mention: Of course Tony Stark, last year's defending champion. But unfortunately his dickery just wasn't as profound this year. Better luck next year when the Skrulls come around, Tony)

Worst Marvel Villain of 2007?
Girltron

Best New Marvel character of 2007?
Cosmo, the russian space dog

Worst New Marvel character of 2007?
Wraith. Sorry, guy; there may be worse characters in general, but we all had our hopes pinned on you to not be such an emo pain-loving dud.

Blergh, I would've said Doctor Strange: The Oath too, but it just barely ended in 2007.

It's a shame that Cassaday is so slow. I was thinking of him for artist of the year myself, especially after I remembered that issue of AXM where everyone forgot who they were and Wolverine was bumbling around like a scared toddler with some of the most comical and well-drawn facial expressions this side of Kevin Maguire, but his beyond extreme lateness made me go with the far more reliable and no less impressive team of Epting and Perkins.

Come on dude, now you're just trying too hard.

Glad at all the responses. I didn't count Elektra because, well, she WAS a Skrull. We don't know how long she was a Skrull.

I threw Tigra a break; it isn't her fault the Marvel bullpen sees her as a furry hooker.

Hopefully, Colossus has a better 2008 as a Last Defender, if he isn't outshined by She-Hulk in every way possible. :o

Iron Man and the Winter Soldier (tie); the first, for perserverance in the face of the critics, and his excellent supporting role in Captain America; the latter, for Captain America.

Spider-Man; for being a whiney, emo little crybaby whose pretended "everyman" status seems to suggest that Marvel thinks its fans are all adults who are single and still live with elderly relatives.

Ms. Marvel; for leading the Mighty Avengers and having an entertaining solo title. Runner-up, Sharon Carter, who I almost forgot about since she isn't a "costume" hero; she's had a rough year on par with Carol's worst experiences in the past (albeit much better-written).

Tigra.

X-Men: Messiah Complex - the X-Men have needed a jolt, and this is it. I can't wait to see what happens next.

One More Day - to elaborate on why this sucks would be redundant.

Best Team Book of 2007?

Toughie; I'll say X-Factor.

Worst Team Book of 2007?

None spring to mind from my own reading, but everything I've seen about New Avengers is terrible.

Best Relaunch of 2007?

Thor

Worst Relaunch of 2007?

Omega Flight, for the botched ongoing/miniseries/creative team stuff.

Best Fight of 2007?

Iron Man vs. the Hulk in WWH #1; all the other fights in that series utterly failed to live up to this.

Worst Fight of 2007?

The final battle of WWH, bracingly illogical, with bizarre characterization, and a nonsensical deus ex machina solution.

Best Moment of 2007?

The death of Captain America.

Worst Moment of 2007?

The Spider-marriage debacle.

Best Mini of 2007?

New Avengers: Illuminati - for showing why Bendis should stick to smaller stories.

Worst Mini of 2007?

Omega Flight, again because of the botched handling of the whole affair.

Best Ongoing of 2007?

Captain America

Worst Ongoing of 2007?

Wolverine; Loeb's story was worse than the entirety of Wolverine: Origins this year.

Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, and Mike Perkins (I can't wait to see what Perkins does next).

Daniel Way and Leinil Francis Yu.

The Red Skull - because killing his archnemesis was just the opening shot, and so far his evil plans have suffered only one setback.

The Hulk - for an amount of thuggishness quite exceptional even for him.

Cloud 9

Amadeus Cho isn't precisely new, but he rose to prominence this year, and he sucks beyond belief.

Iron Fist for me. I was into the hero before Immortal, but everything about Immortal is gold.

Spider-Man.
''My Aunt will live forevarrr :cmad:''

I really can't tell. Eh, I'll just go with Ms Marvel. I don't buy her solo, but she's fun to read in MA.

Everything about Spider-Woman effects me badly, for some reason. Apart from her Origin story, which I liked.

Annihilation: Conquest. Again, a cosmic event from Marvel shines more than anything back on Earth.

One More Day. Ouch. Closely followed by WWH. It was just disappointing. One of my favourite artists didn't seem to be pulling his weight, and the story seemed too weak. Where were the shocking endings, highlights throughout? It was your typical hyped up Marvel event. First two issues are neat, but then it slowly gets pretty boring.

Best Team Book of 2007?
Can I offend a ton of people, and mention NA? Blah blah, Bendis is a hack, he can't write, blah. True, he doesn't write brilliantly on NA, but Yu's artwork is so pretty, I could make love to it.

Worst Team Book of 2007?
Honestly don't know...

Best Relaunch of 2007?
Thor. Coipel is another artist, whose work I could make sweet, sweet love to. Thing is, I've been trade waiting this...
...sorry :x
Oh, and did Nova come out this year? If so, that to. I love me some Nova now.

Worst Relaunch of 2007?
If New Exiles was this year, then I'd point my finger towards that.

Best Fight of 2007?
Iron Fist / Orson Randall, in every issue which focused them being in a fight. Oh, and I'll count Star-Lord's attack on the Phalanx.

Worst Fight of 2007?
Hulk against everyone, although Slott's The Initiative seemed to really excite things.

Best Moment of 2007?
I can't say Astonishing X-Men, because I don't buy the issues of that, even though Cyke was apparently awesome. But Messiah Complex has had a few superb moments already.

Worst Moment of 2007?
One More Day. Ouch.

Best Mini of 2007?
Star-Lord. I now need to parade outside Marvel's offices, demanding a ongoing series on that character and his team.

Worst Mini of 2007?
Anything Frontline related. Ew.

Best Ongoing of 2007?
Immortal Iron Fist. Although Avengers - The Initiative kicks all kinds of ass.

Worst Ongoing of 2007?
That I bought? Wouldn't know.

Ed Brubaker. Oh, and artist? Yeesh. That's a hard one, whoever did Silent War and Star-Lord. I should pick up my copies and check...but...effort...

Greg Land. Isn't it obvious? I have no idea why I purchased a copy of that Ultimate miniseries. Too many orgasm faces for me.
Oh, and Claremont. I've heard it wasn't his fault about what happened to Exiles. Shut up, Claremont. If you're told to change the roster, at least make the stories entertaining still.

Ultron. Because of MA, and Conquest.

Miek.

Cosmo.

Wraith. Bought one issue of that miniseries, and then didn't buy another.

Is Cosmo a new character? I got the nagging sense that he was some really, really old, obscure character who was just resurrected in a really weird and interesting way, much like Rocket Raccoon over in Star-Lord's mini.

According to every database and wiki I've looked at, Cosmo is totally a new and original talking Russian space dog.

Best Marvel Hero of 2007? Star-Lord
Worst Marvel Hero of 2007? Reed Richards

Best Marvel Heroine of 2007? She-Hulk
Worst Marvel Heroine of 2007? Spider-Woman

Best Marvel Event of 2007? Annihilation Conquest
Worst Marvel Event of 2007? OMD

Best Team Book of 2007? The Order
Worst Team Book of 2007? New Avengers

Best Relaunch of 2007? Thor
Worst Relaunch of 2007? I'll say Omega Flight, but only because Marvel ruined what could have been an awesome ongoing series.

Best Fight of 2007? Thor/Iron Man
Worst Fight of 2007? Hulk/Tony's satellite

Best Moment of 2007? Thor #3. All of it.
Worst Moment of 2007? The end of OMD

Best Mini of 2007? Tie between Loners/Dr. Strange: The Oath
Worst Mini of 2007? Howard the Duck. My God.

Best Ongoing of 2007? The Order
Worst Ongoing of 2007? I don't really read bad books, but I'd guess the worst ongoing of 2007 was Ultimate related.

Best Writer & Artist of 2007? Writer: Tie between Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker. Artist: Tie between Michael Lark/Steve Epting/Butch Guice/David Aja/Barry Kitson/Ron Garney
Worst Writer & Artist of 2007? Writer: Daniel Way. Artist: Jon Malin. :o

Best Marvel Villain of 2007? Ultron/Phalanx
Worst Marvel Villain of 2007? Female Ultron

Best New Marvel character of 2007? Cosmo
Worst New Marvel character of 2007? Wraith

If Omega Flight was the worst relaunch of 2007, 2007 was apparently a really good year for relaunches.

Like I said, it's only because Marvel ruined it's potential greatness.

And probably at least a little because, like me and BrianWilly, you couldn't really think of any outright bad relaunches this year, huh? ;)

It really was a good year for relaunches. Nova, Thor, Immortal Iron Fist--all great stuff. :up:

I agree. It was also a great year for new characters, too.

Yeah, especially with A:TI and kinda/sorta with New Warriors.

Right, I forgot about them. They feel really firmly entrenched in the Marvel universe after a very short period. I'm sure Henry's past with Tony helps with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"