• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever at the BoX Office

Okay, I know everyone and their mother on the internet likes to think that they're box office experts, but in what universe would something akin to 700 or 800 million be considered bad or a disappointment? It's not like this film's budget ballooned due to some extensive reshoots or effects that needed to be reworked.

by these metrics Top Gun Maverick was a disappointment LOL
Black panther 3 will absolutely happen no question. The budget you are probably right about. These last few mcu movies budgets have gone completely insane

In order for Marvel to challenge the original BO total, they will need to recast BP or Tchalla’s son in the form of a capable actor such as Abdul Mateen or Denzel’s son. Or just make Killmonger your alternate multiverse BP but he is transported to the 616. They need a male lead. Period.

by these metrics Top Gun Maverick was a disappointment LOL

In order for Marvel to challenge the original BO total, they will need to recast BP or Tchalla’s son in the form of a capable actor such as Abdul Mateen or Denzel’s son. Or just make Killmonger your alternate multiverse BP but he is transported to the 616. They need a male lead. Period.
"We Have To Get Rid of The WImmens>"

Black panther 3 will absolutely happen no question. The budget you are probably right about. These last few mcu movies budgets have gone completely insane
I'm surprised that Love and Thunder also cost $250 million.

I'm curious to know the budget for those Disney+ shows.

Either I'm confused or you are. Who said anything about the original Black Panther? You made a comparison between Wakanda Forever and Multiverse of Madness, predicting that the former will make more money than the latter, while I made arguments against it, by stating clearly in my post that these two are the movies I was making parallels as well.

You want to prove the film is successful and be overly positive about it because you loved it. Good for you. I haven't seen it and don't particularly care how much money it makes. I was talking specifics. Multiverse had a much better start in the international box office. Wakanda can't compete that. Especially after opening pretty much in every major market that it was going to open. It's not a matter of opinion. It needs to have extraordinary legs in the US to cover the difference. Reviews and word to mouth have been good, but not that good.
Don't misrepresent me! I'm a movie math guy have been for years love movie chats and movie history. I was honest and admitted i slant positive so u be honest all ur predictions are on the lowest end of things. What u assumed and got wrong is I'm NOT basing my prediction on 'want' im basing it on the data coming in. I also feel confident to challenge ur movie chart knowledge or anyones. I've been good at predicting and predicted 900- 1 Billion for Dr, Strange that sits at 950 million. I also predicted 800 million for Batman and Thor-- so I got those wrong they ended with 700 mil and change.

u also made the mistake that ur the only person in this thread as I clearly said "others" have said it wouldn't make as much internationally and that's why I added that part. And to strengthen that argument Box Office Mojo is only counting 13 international territories in its international number compared to 53 for the original that's why I said "like for like".

u have one interpretation and predictions for numbers and I have another, what's wrong with that? I think that's fun, this is movie stuff it's all supposed to be fun and bring people together so I don't get ur tone toward me-- feels like ur trying to call me out. I don't care if I'm right or wrong again this is for fun-- and unlike u I gave multiple specific predictions that I'm standing by-- just gotta give it time to see who right. If I'm right whatever and if ur right whatever won't change my life either way.

so stop being a stick in the mud and embrace a different outlook and let's sit back and see who ends up being right!

"We Have To Get Rid of The WImmens>"

its just common sense. Dont label me as a misogynist. If you replace the female leads of sex and the city with a bunch of men and expect women to come out in droves you are ignorant of reality.

this is the second MCU theatrical release I decided not to pay to watch (the Eternals was the other one). I just refunded my ticket today. This would not have happened if there was a certain Latverian ruler in the post credits

Silly comparison, nothing about BP1 indicated "this is a dude movie". Women have been strong characters since T'Challa first showed up (Ao seemed more badass in Civil War than he did)

I would watch a BP3 starring Lupita N'yongo's Nakia as Black Panther before I would watch one with T'challa recast as Yahya Abdul Mateen. (Unpopular opinion but he bores me.)

Unfortunately Letitia doesn't seem to be as charismatic of a lead actor. Shoulda made Nakia or Okoye the new Panther

Regardless, sad that gender seems to be a hang-up for some people

its just common sense. Dont label me as a misogynist. If you replace the female leads of sex and the city with a bunch of men and expect women to come out in droves you are ignorant of reality.

this is the second MCU theatrical release I decided not to pay to watch (the Eternals was the other one). I just refunded my ticket today. This would not have happened if there was a certain Latverian ruler in the post credits
Fair Enough.
You Are Not A Misogynist.
My, SINCERE Apologies.
I AM, VERY SORRY!
I Will Be, More Careful In The Future.

Last edited:
On Monday, Wakanda Forever, made a little over, $11 million dollars.
Source: Box Office Mojo.

Last edited:

Really peculiar considering Thor isn't a moneymaker in the way that Iron Man or Black Panther is.

I'm sure the budget for BP2 is mostly due to Covid and I figure the next will be closer to 200 million.

Really peculiar considering Thor isn't a moneymaker in the way that Iron Man or Black Panther is.

I'm sure the budget for BP2 is mostly due to Covid and I figure the next will be closer to 200 million.
I would be FASCINATED to see Covid19 related expenses and, how it affects budgets of today's blockbusters.

Being fair, some of that is almost certainly Covid. Pandemic disruptions meant everything was more expensive ( because of having to shut down and restart production, introduce safety measures, rewrite and reshoot stuff based on changing plans, etc ).

Silly comparison, nothing about BP1 indicated "this is a dude movie". Women have been strong characters since T'Challa first showed up (Ao seemed more badass in Civil War than he did)

I would watch a BP3 starring Lupita N'yongo's Nakia as Black Panther before I would watch one with T'challa recast as Yahya Abdul Mateen. (Unpopular opinion but he bores me.)

Unfortunately Letitia doesn't seem to be as charismatic of a lead actor. Shoulda made Nakia or Okoye the new Panther

Regardless, sad that gender seems to be a hang-up for some people

I'd prefer Nakia over Shuri, myself, she generally had much more presence. Okoye, I like, but she'd really need an entire movie dedicated to her character arc before I'd really buy it; there's more to being Black Panther than just being a good soldier.

It is going to be interesting to see how this does compared to MOM. Of the limited data set we have so far, I find that BP2 had a stronger opening Sunday interesting.

It is going to be interesting to see how this does compared to MOM. Of the limited data set we have so far, I find that BP2 had a stronger opening Sunday interesting.

in my mind BP2 is already a success, but in the eyes of Disney higher ups they are probably looking at how close it can get to $400 million and whether it can surpass MoM’s domestic and worldwide totals.

in my mind BP2 is already a success, but in the eyes of Disney higher ups they are probably looking at how close it can get to $400 million and whether it can surpass MoM’s domestic and worldwide totals.

I strongly suspect, even if they are expecting a drop in domestic box office, a $300 million drop is not something they are willing to tolerate.

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Box Office Leaps Past $400M Globally"

The Marvel Studios tentpole finished Wednesday with a domestic total of $213.2 million and $187.2 million overseas.

With regard to this weekend, the Black Panther sequel will easily stay atop the worldwide chart. Domestically, it is expected to gross at least $70 million-plus, which should put its worldwide gross at $550 million or more by the end of Sunday to become one of the top-grossing titles of the year.

New wide offerings this weekend at the domestic box office include Searchlight’s epicurean horror-comedy The Menu, which is tracking to open in the high single digits. The prospects for Universal’s adult drama She Said, which chronicles The New York Times exposé of Harvey Weinstein, are more muted.

‘Black Panther Wakanda Forever’ Box Office Leaps Past $400M Globally – The Hollywood Reporter

Only 600 million to hit 1 billion.
Halfway there after only 2 wknds, not too shabby!!

still, that's a lofty goal and anything and definitely not a given at this point, far from it. Let's see how the current predictions hold first before we look too far down the road

‪Wakanda 4Ever's 220 million tally --for first 7 days compare to:‬
‪(7 day tally in US market)‬

‪Batman 172 million (m)‬
‪Thor L&T 187m‬
‪Top Gun 205m‬
‪Jurassic WD 191m‬
‪Minions 164m‬
‪Strange MoM 230m‬

That’s a pretty normal drop for a MCU movie these days. The earlier they start these movies during the “previews”, the steeper the 2nd Friday drop is going to be.

I expected it to do better but it's not a very rewatchable movie so it makes sense.

I expected it to do better but it's not a very rewatchable movie so it makes sense.
I didn't think it of that but you're right. I can see people not going to the theater a bunch to see it like the first one. In addition to Disney+. I know a lot of people at my job said they're just gonna wait for Disney+

Hot take: I liked BP2 more than the first one. But yeah it's very heavy especially in the first 30 mins until Namor shows up and the pacing is bad in the beginning (I feel like pacing is so off in blockbusters nowadays)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"