Black Panther's ROTTEN TOMATOES thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critics Consensus:
Black Panther elevates superhero cinema to thrilling new heights while telling one of the MCU's most absorbing stories -- and introducing some of its most fully realized characters.

100%
Average Rating: 8.6/10
Reviews Counted: 48
Fresh: 48
Rotten: 0

Holy s***.

There will be the inevitable small Marvel drop off once non-targeted reviewers see it, but still... holy s***.

Critics Consensus:
Black Panther elevates superhero cinema to thrilling new heights while telling one of the MCU's most absorbing stories -- and introducing some of its most fully realized characters.
I think this film has a good shot at being MCU no.1 on some people's lists.

David Edelstein liked it, and he generally hates comic book movies. He wrote the notorious Wonder Woman review that focused on her physicality. Minor spoilers in his review.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/black-panther-review.html

Black Panther, starring Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa, the African king who fights evildoers in the guise of a wildcat, is unusually grounded for a Marvel superhero epic, and unusually gripping.

That Black Panther has a richer palette than its Marvel precursors is no surprise, since its roots are equally in pop culture and African folklore.

Better, the filmmakers have surrounded Black Panther with women who are not just worthy of him but frequently leave him in the dust. Nyong’o’s flame-haired Nakia is one, but your gaze will be drawn (or commanded) by Danai Gurira’s General Okoye, another “Grace Jones–lookin’ chick” (tall, bald) with open contempt for guns and a samurai’s dexterity with a long spear. Men quail before her. Black Panther gives her a wide berth. Everything in her affect says “uncontainable.” T’Challa’s giddy kid sister, Shuri (Letitia Wright), is an even more fun inversion of male superhero protocol, playing Q to Black Panther’s Bond with an array of Vibranium-powered suits and gizmos. The mix of Afrocentrism, feminism, and high-tech gadgetry is irresistible. Black Panther’s team is so wonderful that I hate to think of it being dulled by the mostly white-bread Avengers.

TDK had an 8.9 though, when it had around 50 reviews. If I remember it correctly.

TDK had an 8.9 though, when it had around 50 reviews. If I remember it correctly.

Yeah, that's probably a target too far, but every other CBM could be fair game at this stage.

Only Marvel can stop marvel at this point, hit after hit, can't freaking wait for this.

I always believed in Coogler. he is easily becoming one of my favorite directors working today.

Loving these reviews! But having to wait 10 more days for BP is agony.

How many reviews is typically needed before it's certified?

Holy ****. Looks like it might be the highest rated CBM since TDK

75%, but I think it also needs to hit 80 reviews, as in, 79/0 wouldn't be enough.
It's weird like that.

I don't know how many reviews we can expect at this point since there's 7/9 days before this starts playing everywhere.

Wow! Incredible start right now. Let's hope it keeps it going!

13 reviews / 9.4 average with the Top critics is flat out amazing.

I feel like MCU movies always start high and then come down once the US reviewers start checking in. I remember Civil War was at 100% for a few days.

I can see this landing at 90% but would be awesome to be at 92% which is where WW is at with 366 reviews.

Its early. It could drop, etc etc.

However, I think this is proof that a great villain really does elevate the movie....at least critically...

Probably ends up at 93, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"