Black Superheroes Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokio, you are dead wrong!

How on earth do you know what Singleton would do when he's never ever done it? Give the man a chance, because the real truth is he's a pretty good director. My belief is that anyone deserves a chance.

Also, Reginald Hudlin is no hack, his writing stint on the Black Panther comic is the absolute perfect story for the Black Panther movie!

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but in this case it's just flat out wrong!

Also, Reginald Hudlin is no hack, his writing stint on the Black Panther comic is the absolute perfect story for the Black Panther movie!

I think the first six or so issues of BP, collected in Who is the Black Panther? TPB would make an excellent movie. The rest of Hudlin's run? I'm not so sure about.

Though I did enjoy the post-Katrina story-mainly for putting Luke Cage, Monica Rambeau, Brother Voodoo, BP, and Blade together, I think Hudlin's take on Panther is somewhat limited or limiting. There doesn't appear to be much complexity to his Panther. Hudlin's Panther has all the answers, makes all the right moves, rarely if ever breaks a sweat, and everyone looks up to him and respects him. And Panther always wraps things up too quickly and neatly.

I understand why Hudlin is writing him that way, or at least I think I do. I think he wants to make BP a major player in the Marvel Universe, a more integral, perhaps indispensible part of that universe. Also, I think he is trying to counter the decades of negative or uneven portrayals of black heroes in comics, or the far too often placing of black characters in the background. So, I applaud him for making BP more of a part of the Marvel Universe. I also like BP's marriage to Storm. Maybe it's comics first Black Supercouple, and that's cool to see.

However, it's also a bit boring if there is no real internal conflict. And Hudlin has failed IMO to create or develop any compelling antagonists for Panther, outside of the TPB.

For any potential Panther movies, I think TPTB should look at Christopher Priest's take on Panther as well as Hudlin's and give the audience a movie that is a mixture of both.

Have y'all seen this?
[YT]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pB7DlcDto4Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pB7DlcDto4Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YT]
I posted a rant in another thread today about black superheroes not getting any respect in Hollywood.

i think the thing with hitchcock is that he will come through in the end as a good hero . the problem with comics is there aren't enough black superheroes.

a black panther or luke cage movie could help . also hitchcock will no doubt make over 100 million dollars , so he who laughs last , laughs the loudest.

DUDE , DONT NO WHERE YOU BEEN BUT IF YOU CHECK OUT ON HERE THEIR WAS A POSTING ABOUT THE BLACK PANTHER CARTOON COMING TO BET SOON. and that was a wild debate we as a race calling white people cracker's it was horrible.

We all know that movie was horrible. Let's not go into that.

spawn was a excellent movie. I seen spawn as a superhero not as a black man but a hero.
and why do hollywood have to say whenever there is more than one blk person in a movie its a blk movie?? and if you see one blk person they are label as a token. and why cant it be a group of people doing a job "acting" out a vision geez!!!! so much hatred in everything in this world.
and why do white america only think white characters can only have super powers?? and blk characters only have the power to sell drugs and super power to prositute women?? and drive super powered pimp-mobile and the power to kill one another.
and why do blk men be the first to die in a scary movie even sci-fi movies.
I hate these movies that protray to the blk race you cant advance in life
when I go into a video store to rent a blk movie I make damn sure its not sterotyping us as killers, gang bangers, or wanna-be rapper's or hip-hop dancers.

So you're in the store for quite a while, then, huh?

After watching the trailer for Hancock I can say that i find the idea of the lazy, unlucky and partially inept superhero a novel idea but i am quite annoyed that once again it is a black superhero who is used to show this.

I`ve noticed that although we live in very advanced and sympathetic times hollywood still seems to have the idea that a bacl person being a superhero or say even a secret agent is a unique idea and one full of comedy ideas.

I mean blade was a great super hero film but there haven`t been any memorable serious black superheroes since and we`ve had some very odd films like Undercover Brother or Meteor Man or even to an degree Hancock.

I just seem to feel that hollywood has this strange belief that the idea of a white super hero is logical while a black super hero is laughable. Its seems like a step backwards really.

This belief becomes even more shocking with films where it features black secret agents. Do they seriously think that there are no black secret agents working in the US? Or that any black secret agent would walk around acting and dressing like he just exploded out of a collection of Blaxploitation flicks?

I dunno. I might be overreacting but it just seems like a worrying undercurrent.

Don't worry. War Machine is Coming. Not to mention Nick Fury as well.

Is'nt Hancock supposed to be a darker toned movie,they are just using some comic scenes to sell the movie....
There have been some black superheroes,and some have done well and some not...I guess pretty soon with all this lets be cool to Mexico we will start hearing about not having any Mexican superheroes as well :) We will call it Super-Beaner; able to leap the Mexican/US border in a single leap + 20 of his friends in a single car,faster than a speeding Ford Bronco;of Border patrol..
In all seriousness,theres some black superheroes coming eventually that will change the perception....

ah seeing as how there was a few month separation I wasn't sure...

My response to his question would be as soon as we get off our @$$es and create a few...

ah seeing as how there was a few month separation I wasn't sure...

My response to his question would be as soon as we get off our @$$es and create a few...

Actually there is a number of Black Superheroes out there created by Black people. You just don't never hear about them. Meteor Man and Icon were just two of many that were created by Black writers.

Last edited:
An animated Icon & Rocket movie would be cool.
any of the miletsone characters would make good flick. Hardware,Static, blood syndicate, The shadow cabinet. Those cats were bad ass.

Catwoman was just a few rewrites (and a good villain) away from being a great Vixen movie...

I would love to see Static...

And if you really want to change the game, give me Denzel and Keke Palmer as Icon and Rocket. Set and match. Yeah, they could make a great action-with-a-moral cartoon ala Static Shock, but a movie? Penned by McDuffie? Yes, please...

As for 'making our own,' that's kinda what Hancock was, and it suffered because it just wasn't as well thought out (or consistently executed) as many other films. Also, there was no inventiveness, despite Will's charisma, and the very very unorthodox (albeit not clearly communicated) origin story... at the end of the day, Hancock was a superstrong flier, a Superman knockoff with nothing original on the table. A generic superhero. Great for some storytelling, but not for what Hancock was trying to do... at least imho...

Jumper, and to a lesser degree Unbreakable, were other ventures along this same path, and you see where they got us. We'd need to examine the disconnects between these movies and their audiences before we start tossing our carefully crafted creations out there to be ripped to shreds.

Contrast Jumper with the Matrix... the only difference I see, acting included, is a more fully realized universe. Which makes sense, comics have been fleshing their universes out for a long time. Made-for-movie superheroes spend so much time on the heroes, factions and the powers, they really don't have anything else vaguely memorable about them.

So if we make heroes that live in a universe that makes sense, I say go for it. Otherwise... why bother?

Actually there is a number of Black Superheroes out there created by Black people. You just don't never hear about them. Meteor Man and Icon were just two of many that were created by Black writers.

I'm aware of those, many are not thus they do not represent a solution to our problems

Catwoman was just a few rewrites (and a good villain) away from being a great Vixen movie...
The very fact that you brought that... thing up nulls and voids this portion of your statement the rest of it is hereby subject to harsh critical review
I would love to see Static...
as would we all
And if you really want to change the game, give me Denzel and Keke Palmer as Icon and Rocket. Set and match. Yeah, they could make a great action-with-a-moral cartoon ala Static Shock, but a movie? Penned by McDuffie? Yes, please...
meh Denzel is to small to play Icon
As for 'making our own,' that's kinda what Hancock was, and it suffered because it just wasn't as well thought out (or consistently executed) as many other films. Also, there was no inventiveness, despite Will's charisma, and the very very unorthodox (albeit not clearly communicated) origin story... at the end of the day, Hancock was a superstrong flier, a Superman knockoff with nothing original on the table. A generic superhero. Great for some storytelling, but not for what Hancock was trying to do... at least imho...
yeah Hancock suffered from Hollywooditis Great Idea piss poor execution
Jumper, and to a lesser degree Unbreakable, were other ventures along this same path, and you see where they got us. We'd need to examine the disconnects between these movies and their audiences before we start tossing our carefully crafted creations out there to be ripped to shreds.
Jumper suffered from SW light syndrome Unbreakable was too cerebral for the common viewer
Contrast Jumper with the Matrix... the only difference I see, acting included, is a more fully realized universe. Which makes sense, comics have been fleshing their universes out for a long time. Made-for-movie superheroes spend so much time on the heroes, factions and the powers, they really don't have anything else vaguely memorable about them.
that's in the writing, as you said Matrix was able to do it and do it flawlessly but then they introduced the hero to the world that already had extraordinary chartacters in it
So if we make heroes that live in a universe that makes sense, I say go for it. Otherwise... why bother?
anyone that proposes a half@$$ed world with shoddy mechanics get's what they deserve...

I hope Marvel's next movies after The Avengers are Luke Cage & Black Panther, they seem like the next biggest Marvel names anyway. I'm really hoping we get Luke Cage soon, he's awesome.

I'm really not into Cage. He's too "ghetto" for me.
You know what really trips me out? The vast majority of what few superhero movies we have that center on a black character are either ill-conceived abominations...
m-shaqsteel.gif
halle.jpg

silly spoofs...
blankman.jpg

or cheesy comedies.
meteor.jpg
upupaway.jpg

How can this get turned around?

Last edited:
I'm really not into Cage. He's too "ghetto" for me.

Me and my boy said this should be the theme for Luke Cage in the movie, only more orchestrated and minus the Numa Numa intro.

[YT]R-np8m65FtY[/YT]

I can picture it... that could be pretty hot. The Numa Numa riff would totally pull me out of it though... that'd have to go.

meh Denzel is to small to play Icon

You're right. I take it all back. Chiwetel Ejiofor. He would devour the role utterly. Dear goodness.

yeah Hancock suffered from Hollywooditis Great Idea piss poor execution
Jumper suffered from SW light syndrome Unbreakable was too cerebral for the common viewer
that's in the writing, as you said Matrix was able to do it and do it flawlessly but then they introduced the hero to the world that already had extraordinary chartacters in it

anyone that proposes a half@$$ed world with shoddy mechanics get's what they deserve...

So, the audience needs an 'in' basically... if the world is already there, then we need a ride in there. Someone who already lives in that world gets us lost (see Jumper). To a greater or lesser degree, it all comes back to not inviting the audience in, something several comic book adaptations have been able to do, introduce audiences to a world that already has extraordinary characters...

Perhaps more time should be spent on worldbuilding and supporting cast for such original properties...

But seriously, get me Icon and Rocket...

How about a Black lightning movie. I think it could be interesting.

460061-black_lightning_matthew_clark01_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"