Bought/Thought 4/9/08

IMO It's all a bit dramatic and political for a place to talk about comics.

A message from photojones.

"You guys are way, way off. I haven't posted on the Hype since
LemonSunday. I don't who these other people getting banned are, but
it's certainly not me. I do check in on the Hype on a daily basis (I
still work a boring job in front of a computer), so I'd appreciate it
if you could pass the word along to stop talking about me as if I keep
posting under new usernames.

I registered the name LemonSunday as a way to get in contact with a
few mods, mainly Dew. Through PM's, I told her who I was and that the
mods had no reason to ban me. She didn't disagree, and she didn't
outright ban me under my new name. She told me to contact some of the
other mods about lifting the ban on PhotoJones. I did and I got no
response. I kind of let it all go and forgot about it. Then, after a
few weeks I read some post somewhere that I wanted to comment on, and
I just kept posting. I figured if the mods wanted to ban LemonSunday,
they would. And so they did. After I tried to log in and found I was
banned again, that was that. Like I said, I still pop in and read
people's posts on the Hype but I have NOT posted under any other
accounts since LemonSunday was banned. I don't know who those other
people are or why they're getting the boot. Frankly, I don't care.

Oh, and far as me being a dick and not "cooling down" after getting an
infraction...that would only work if I knew I was getting infractions,
wouldn't it? Not once did a mod clue me into that. I assume this is one of their tactics. They hand out infractions, do not let the poster
know and then they can ban them and say, "Hey, well this guy had too
many infractions." So, yeah. I haven't been posting on the Hype in
quite some time. I have no interest in posting 100+ posts a day. I think sometimes we become a slave (or at least I did) to post counts, so I took the banning of LS as a bit of freedom. Peace."

NONE of these so called Photojoneses being banned are actually him. He's not coming back.

And DON'T i-m me asking about PJ. I'm not his ****ing secretary. He just requested I post this.

I don't buy it,for those who have been posting here for a while,it was fairly obvious that PJ was Egostatic.Everything from his comments about his favorite indy books,weekly buy lists and constant banter with Corp.

JSA #14 - Badass last page,it's about time Alan had his moment in this book.

PWJ #18 - The Chaykin issues have been some of the best of this series.I hope Fraction sticks with this direction for a while,this book has jumped around too much in the past.

FF #556 - Heroes fighting a villain?In a 616 Millar book?Ultimate F4 was good comics and so far his run on the real thing is showing the same promise.Johnny continues to be an idiot.

Yet to read...Kick Ass #2,The Twelve #4

I argued with him as Egotastic more than I bantered, it seems. But yeah, I think Ego was totally PJ. It'd be an awfully big coincidence for them to love and hate the exact same things to the exact same degree the way they did.

I argued with him as Egotastic more than I bantered, it seems. But yeah, I think Ego was totally PJ. It'd be an awfully big coincidence for them to love and hate the exact same things to the exact same degree the way they did.

And to have the same IP Address. And join within two weeks of PJs banning. And to have ******[email protected] as the registration email.

Oops, that one's mine, actually.

...Oh wait, mine is ******edhype@[i]hotmail[/i].com.

A message from photojones.

"You guys are way, way off. I haven't posted on the Hype since
LemonSunday. I don't who these other people getting banned are, but
it's certainly not me. I do check in on the Hype on a daily basis (I
still work a boring job in front of a computer), so I'd appreciate it
if you could pass the word along to stop talking about me as if I keep
posting under new usernames.

I registered the name LemonSunday as a way to get in contact with a
few mods, mainly Dew. Through PM's, I told her who I was and that the
mods had no reason to ban me. She didn't disagree, and she didn't
outright ban me under my new name. She told me to contact some of the
other mods about lifting the ban on PhotoJones. I did and I got no
response. I kind of let it all go and forgot about it. Then, after a
few weeks I read some post somewhere that I wanted to comment on, and
I just kept posting. I figured if the mods wanted to ban LemonSunday,
they would. And so they did. After I tried to log in and found I was
banned again, that was that. Like I said, I still pop in and read
people's posts on the Hype but I have NOT posted under any other
accounts since LemonSunday was banned. I don't know who those other
people are or why they're getting the boot. Frankly, I don't care.

Oh, and far as me being a dick and not "cooling down" after getting an
infraction...that would only work if I knew I was getting infractions,
wouldn't it? Not once did a mod clue me into that. I assume this is one of their tactics. They hand out infractions, do not let the poster
know and then they can ban them and say, "Hey, well this guy had too
many infractions." So, yeah. I haven't been posting on the Hype in
quite some time. I have no interest in posting 100+ posts a day. I think sometimes we become a slave (or at least I did) to post counts, so I took the banning of LS as a bit of freedom. Peace."

NONE of these so called Photojoneses being banned are actually him. He's not coming back.

And DON'T i-m me asking about PJ. I'm not his ****ing secretary. He just requested I post this.

Yeah, like I'm going to believe he wasn't Egotastic. Same ****ing attitude, same taste in books, same everything. I don't buy it.

Also, you get a PM when you get infracted, and you can see them in your usercp.

skrullyt5.gif

Agh! Stupid life in conjunction with City of Heroes! Leaves me no time for reviews!! Here's the rest.

Green Lantern Corps #23
Arguably my favorite DC book at the moment. Just when I begin to think that Tomasi is going from "super awesome awesomo" to just "really good," he reminds me that, hello there doofus, he is the guy who wrote bloody Black Adam: The Dark Age after all.

Tomasi does the precise exact thing that a new writer coming onto a preexisting series absolutely should do: respect the characters and the tone of his predecessors. Fans of Gibbons' excellent prior run should be glad; despite appearances and early signs, this book is not "Kyle and Guy, intergalactic space cop buddy show." (Although let's just all take a moment to take in the awesome that is Kyle in this issue as compared to how he's been written everywhere else lately. Taking a moment? Taking a moment. Okay, now we're done.)

Nope, this book is in all respects about the Green Lantern Corps and the wonderful cast of characters therein. Even tonally the this book is so close to what Gibbons laid down that someone not paying too much attention might not even be able to tell between the two writers' works here. This is a true team book. It's more of a team book than most team books tend to be. Look at the current JLA or Titans or even the JSA in some degrees, their respective cast members barely even feel like teams and almost never act it either. Here, however, not a single member is left behind no matter how Z-list they may be in the grand scheme of things, from Iolande (Princess Leia with a power ring) to Vath (Rannian military guy, and btw I loved the Adam Strange cameo here; save him too, Tomasi! Save him like you're saving Kyle!), there's effort spent on them as individuals as well as on them as a squadron of Green Lanterns with their missions.

And since we all know that I'm only ever supernitpickycritical to things that I love, let's nitpick a bit: one thing I do fear is that Kyle's overall personality may be lost a bit. Look, Kyle finally showing some balls after all this time is awesome; I love Kyle's balls, you know me. But there's the great danger of making him almost too much of the perfect leader. You know the type, the sort of colorless Hal Jordan sort of character (Hey, Grant Morrison's words, not mine:D) who's never wrong and always awesome at everything and flawlessly flawless to the detriment of other characters and himself...the sort of character that Kyle is very pointedly not and was created to counter in the first place. Ironically, it's the fate that I feared would befall Barebackin' Yat instead of Kyle. How do you showcase someone as a kickass veteran corpsman who knows the ropes without making him into a flawless Gary Stu pastiche?

(9.3 out of 10)

This is how.
Nova #12
Inarguably my favorite Marvel book at the moment. Lovable characters facing the odds and beating them? Check. Pitch-perfect writing? Check. Art that leaps from the page to smother you with the Pillow of Awesome? Check. Epic showdowns with Lovecraftian machine gods? So checked. It just keeps on coming, right up to the last page which leaves you with the sort of feeling you only get from reading the very best superhero comics. If you're not reading this, it's because you are crazy. Have that looked into.

(9.7 out of 10)

Wonder Woman #19
A pretty good issue. I can see why some people were confused by the plot -- Simone's plotting was never the strongest, even in her strongest work -- but I basically got it in one. I don't really care about the Khunds so much, and if I did I'd read about them in books other than Wonder Woman, but objectively I see what Simone did with them here as decent enough.

What I really like here is the work that she did with the Green Lantern, though. GLs sometime get nerfed and treated as disposable spacecannon fodder for your space stories, often even in their own books, and it's nice to be reminded once in a while: it's not called the most powerful weapon in the universe for shts and giggles. And even then I like that he got taken down (so to speak, 'cause he wasn't truly taken down) in a reasonable and fair manner by our protagonist.

What I like even more is the work that she did with Nemesis. Simone has mentioned that she actually likes the Nemesis which appeared in Suicide Squad, and promised that we're going to see him in a different light than what we'd expect after...y'know...Picoult and Pfeifer. And I think we're beginning to see that here. Diana's superpower, at its core, is to reveal the truth about everything. Tom's one real superpower is, in essence, to deceive everyone. Something surprising is being set up here, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is. With a bit of reservation, of course, I mean come on...this is after all Nemesis we're talking about.

(7.6 out of 10)

Yat instead of Kyle. How do you showcase someone as a kickass veteran corpsman who knows the ropes without making him into a flawless Gary Stu pastiche?

This is how.

It's funny cause I got to that line and I was like "Well, you could make him Nova", and then in the next line you're like "by making him like Nova."

Ironically, Nova's kicking ass with the formula that Kyle initially kicked ass with. Now that Kyle is one among many, writers have to deal with the fact that he's... one among many. Hence BW's concern that his personality will be subsumed by the idea of making him "the hallowed badass" of the Corps who's a perfect leader and can do everything.

Hence BW's concern that his personality will be subsumed by the idea of making him "the hallowed badass" of the Corps who's a perfect leader and can do everything.

I just think the character writing in Nova is a good model for how to deal with that. He does **** up at things and fall short, but the difference between him and another character is he knows he ****s up at things and falls short and he deals with it and does the job anyway because it's the job somebody has to do, kind of thing. Like in Annihilation I thought they did this really well; he's not the perfect basass who effortly wins the war, but he is the guy who tries to keep his **** together when everything falls apart and puts himself on the line even if he knows he's going to lose.

Just write him like a real cop, rather than the perfect cop

...Oh snap, Corp caught moderation.

My condolences, dude.

Hey, it's still the same old me. I'm not gonna go crazy or anything.

By the way, you guys all know you're on probation now, right? ;)
I just think the character writing in Nova is a good model for how to deal with that. He does **** up at things and fall short, but the difference between him and another character is he knows he ****s up at things and falls short and he deals with it and does the job anyway because it's the job somebody has to do, kind of thing. Like in Annihilation I thought they did this really well; he's not the perfect basass who effortly wins the war, but he is the guy who tries to keep his **** together when everything falls apart and puts himself on the line even if he knows he's going to lose.
Exactly. They've just gotta balance it out in Kyle's case, since he's now got a pretty sizable amount of backup behind him. He can still **** up and he can still do things wrong. Personally, I think he's gonna get his ass handed to him by a Black Mercy during this current arc.

Except for the guy who got you the job, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"