Bought/Thought 5/17--Spoilers to come!

why are you bringing blood sausage into this...it didnt do anything to you

i like batman and robin, but as long as its not in the current dcu i'm okay with it

"I need to think of something to arrest her for."

"If you retrieve that piece of tomato from where it fell and then put it in your mouth, I will shoot you."

^The Fell books are awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Eli.

X-Man Fairy Tales 1 (8/10)
I enjoyed it. Momotaro was one of my favourite Japanese fairy tales and it was introduced to me through reading Doraemon several years back. I loved the art and really liked the transformations of the characters. The battle b/w Hitome (Cyclops), Aoi (Beast), Tenshi (Angel) and Kori (Iceman) and the demons (Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Toad) was interesting. Can't wait for the next issue. :up:

Ms Marvel #3 (7/10)
Usually, I hate aliens and space-related stuff in comic-books, but not this one. It was alright. There were some funny parts. My fave:

"Aahhhhh! Air! I love you, air. Let's never leave each other again."

The Fantastic Four crossover was pretty cool, too.

Fell (10/10)
Don't ever cancel this title.

Poor bloke. He got stabbed, punched and branded on his neck, and now, almost lost a finger. I love reading detective comics. I used to read Detective Conan (manga), but then lost interest a while after issue 38. Fell is a great detective title. Smart, hilarious and bloody. Love the realistic and messy art, too. It's not cartoony like some.

Snowtown...GET SOME MORE FREAKING COPS!

X-Men #186 (6/10)
I just got into this title. I thought it was so-so. Gambit is fugly. I really hope that he'll get back on the good side soon. I wonder where Sunfire is taking him.

I liked the Avengers crossover.

Apocalypse bores me. I read through the whole "Riddles of the Sphinx" ending. It was alright. Apocy-lips is weird. I want Sinister! He was awesome in Cable&Deadpool.

Older solicts claimed that NEW AVENGERS #19 was coming out today, but recent lists a few days ago noted it off the roster, and one can only conclude is that the issue is running late; the first time in nearly a year that an issue of NA has run late. Considering DC is cranking out four issues of 52 a month to eat at the Top 10, Marvel may not want to delay some of their hot book's issues too long.

A bit of a bumpy week with some ups and downs.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 5/17/06:

ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN #4:
It almost feels like an eternity since this series launched, and feels almost as long since #3 shipped (which, for those who forgot, was an almost pointless interlude introducing Black Canary and having more "skanky hot chick pummels dumb males" stuff that, well, if you liked, you've already seen done by Miller at lot better in SIN CITY volumes). Decompressed stories are bad enough, but decompression + extreme lateness can equal a book losing almost all of its appeal, and this one stumbled by the first issue. Many people bemoan ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, but at least each issue of that is almost a stand-alone story, and so thus the length between issues doesn't hurt it as much. ASB&R, on the other hand, is a clear serial. It has taken Batman & Grayson a full 3 issues to get to the Batcave, and the problems don't end there. Miller's revisioned Batman is an extreme parody; he is everything that folks stereotype about Batman taken to an Nth degree. Not only does he seek out teenage partners, he STALKS them and all but acts like a creepy molester from a Tarentino film. Not only did he grow up hard, he ATE RATS IN A CAVE and wants Grayson to, too. This Batman, while described as a scourge of the underworld, has done nothing but seemingly fight (and kill) police officers. Those "dirty cops" are also not only corrupt, but downright vile to a Fascist degree, able to pummel Vicki Vale to the verge of death (her survival is shakey as this issue closes) in full view (let alone kidnap orphaned acrobats with the intent of murdering them later). At least when Mark Millar writes his next issue of "America is Evil: The Series" (otherwise known as ULTIMATES 2), I can think of something that is actually MORE EXTREME. The best thing is Jim Lee's art and the fold-out thing of the Batcave, which was very expansive and cleverly done. The problem is that Miller was the wrong person to tap for this series; DK2 should have taught DC that Miller is a very expensive talent who has lost most of his luster (Miller was paid, supposedly, $1 million for DK2, which was an abysmal bomb). Especially since Matt Wagner wrote and drew a much better "all-star Batman" tale with MONSTER MEN a few months back (which will have a sequal this summer, that I'm definately down for). So why buy this title? For the same reason people like watching car crashes and COPS; to see how extremely funny it gets. The dialogue is a mishmash of tough guy cliche metaphors, the "grit" dial turned so high that it is more hilarious than gritty, and plus, seeing how far off the deep end this Batman is, and what the other heroes are supposedly going to do about it (Superman is shown running across the ocean this issue, and it looks downright awkward. Note to Miller; THE MAN CAN FLY). This version of Batman actually reminds me of a more vile version of "The Night Phantom" from STEAM DETECTIVES, to anyone who has heard of it (its a manga, so I'm thinkin' that its unlikely). The thing was, Night Phantom was the series' villian, so it worked. Here he is the title character, and it doesn't. One almost wonders why Alfred doesn't just poison the bum. He makes all of the ULTIMATES combined seem like relatable, loveable characters. But trainwrecks are fun to watch. And you KNOW your LCS is going to be selling these issues by the dozens for years down the road, because they overordered them. So have some pity. It'll make you more merciful than "the god damned Batman". Heck, just chuckle at the fact that this issue is so late, they don't even have a cover image ready for #5 on the last preview page, and all of the previews featured are MONTHS OLD (even WIZARD is working on "original solicts" and keeps claiming that the series will wrap up in the summer. Yeah right, boys. Keep living the dream).

52 WEEK #2: DC's grand experiment at weekly comics continues. In a way, this is not only a means to create an event, maybe hook in some new readers, AND dominate more of the Top 10 every month (especially with IC over), but this is a way to respond to the sort of appeal that "24" has. Y'know, weekly episodes, all new, all some long storyarc? Of course, these issues of 52, while good, are moving a little slowly. The pieces are moving together at a steady, but not too quick pace. Of course, given that there are 52 total issues, and with 4 a month (assuming none down the line are late), did anyone expect otherwise? If they went too quickly, they'd be out of ideas; the slow burn is the only way to do long series. Maybe a better approach may have been SEVERAL stories? Granted, that may be it, and it just takes patience. In any case, this is another solid issue, nothing more, nothing less. Booster Gold has Skeets repaired, but the little guy is still wigging out and cannot accurately relay the future's headlines to Booster, giving him quite a dilemma (as saving a falling jetliner suddenly becomes a less than perfect rescue). The Question continues to lead Montoya towards some direction, even seeking to "hire" her services; to her part, she'd rather drown her sorrows and sleep with hot chicks. Ralph Dibney discusses past times and his wife with a young gravekeeper, who discovered that "mystery writing" on Sue's grave, which is an inverted "S" symbole (which means "Resurrection" to Kryptonian Religion, which has become a sort of cult with the death of Superboy, with even Cassie (Wonder Girl) turning to it. Definately an interesting angle, one not played when Superman bit it (much like Jesus, he died in sacrifice only to come back some time later). Meanwhile, someone's gathering together all the "mad scientists" that are left for some nefarious purpose. Like I said, the story is a slow burn, but given the format, that's hardly unexpected nor too high an obstacle, at least with only 2 issues in the can. As a back-up feature is a start of the "history of the DCU", presumably an effort to clear house and make sense of their funky revamp of continuity: the 3rd in about 20 years. Like I said last week, JLU's appreciation of a multitude of heroes is the only reason I am on this book, besides IC of course, and so far it looks like I'll be sticking with it for the forseeable future. They're going to take up a lot of room, though. And the better DC does, the better Marvel will have to do, and that would be grand.

ANNIHILATION: NOVA #2: The only ANNIHILATION title I am getting (besides the past PRELUDE and the upcoming mini of the same name), this story is going along fairly well, although it is quickly becoming a "cosmic group" book. I wonder if the other ANNIHILATION books are so? Nova's still the "main character", but in short fashion he is teamed up with the new Drax (who isn't the original "destroyer", but more of a reincarnation) and his human hanger-on, Cammi. While I didn't read the last DRAX mini (I've heard good things), I am finding myself enjoying the take on him; reminds me of Riddick, and that's not a bad angle to go if you want to make "cosmics" relatable and enjoyable. Cammi naturally fills the quota of "spunky female" on the team, and allows Nova a fellow Earthling to bicker with (besides his connection to the Worldmind). He's still unable to control the full Nova Force without losing it, which Drax aims to help him master; albeit crudely. The issue ends with yet another guy joining the unofficial team; Quasar, last seen at the end of "The Titannus War" in MTU, being slugged in the face. Abnett & Lanning keep the pacing good and the dialogue enjoyable, and the art from Walker is also serviceable. The NOVA FILES in the back are also informative reads; I am very close to buying DRAX in trade though. Considering I don't usually go for cosmics, I'm enjoying this series much better than I expected to. A welcome surprise from Marvel; so far ANNIHILATION is simply telling a straightfoward "space opera" efficiently, and doing it well. No shocks, no "every issue will shatter the internett !!1111" proclaimations, no relying on a retcon every 6 pages, just quality by the numbers. Why can't they apply this philosophy across the board? The only quibble is that they'd have a hard time explaining how Silver Surfer can be in both an ANNIHILATION book at full power and over on PLANET HULK, but whatever.

MOON KNIGHT #2: The 3rd second issue in a row. Charlie Huston and Finch continue with their revamp of Moon Knight, and in this issue: Marc Spector LEAVES HIS ROOM! Yes, this title is also decompressed as all hell, but to be frank, that is rather typical of writers who have come from novels to comics. Owen Scott Card was slow as a glacier in ULTIMATE IRON MAN, and while Huston isn't as bad, it isn't surprising. He's a good writer for MK, but it should be something that Marvel considers in the future; that novel writers are not the same as TV writers (who have more of a sense of cramming as much as one can into an "episode"). What saves the issue is the flashback scene (all of the "action" has been in flashback so far, another novel approach) which shows how Moon Knight was mangled into this position by Bushmaster (who is not named; lousey way to bring in new readers). The fight is BRUTAL, and Finch depicts it very well; proving yet again that his style is better for dark, urban tales rather than sun-drenched heroics like NEW AVENGERS. Naturally, this reminds me of a vol. 1 Moon Knight tale where Specter was put into a very simular situation, only by...the Fly. Yes, much lamer. I don't mind "redoing" old stories, if you do them better; something most remakes don't do. Some secret cabal is tracking Specter, and he's reduced to taking medications from the few friends the depressed ex-hero has left, and the pace continues. I wish it was a little faster, but other than that, I'm enjoying the gritty style and take on the hero. The pace is really too slow to make Moon Knight a "major player" like Marvel may want (like DAREDEVIL is), but its a solid superhero noir story in itself, which is fine for me. Especially since the writer who seemed to reinvent that kind of story in the 80's, Frank Miller, is in desperate need of ghost-writing.

ULTIMATE X-MEN #70: Pretty much a standard action issue; the middle-child between the set-up and the climax. Sure, Oliver's art isn't the best that the title's had, but I think some fans have short memories of some past "fill-in" artists like Chris "Everything looks like Clay" Bachelo or Kaare "I Should Stick to Covers" Andrews from back during Millar's run. Still, being the 3rd worst artist on the run isn't much to brag about. The major highlight of the issue for me was the fact that Cyclops kicked butt. Millar wrote a kick-arse, efficient version of Cyclops who'd never sit back and let Logan be Mr. Cool without competition, and ever since Millar left, Cyke has taken more of a backseat. Not so much here, as he seems to nearly beat a 3rd of the Brotherhood by himself. Kurt talks to the comatose Dazzler and is taking his homophobia WAY too far for some tastes (granted, maybe Weapon X made him a bit fragile), and the Pheonix is still in Jean, although whether it is actually another entity posessing her, or she's just a little nutso, is not revealed yet. As for Elliot, he continues to be a generic "newbie hero" cypher whose plot convient ability to control reality naturally makes him able to do anything in a fight, and thus he gets boring. If Kirkman's aim was to create a "generic new X-Man", then he has succeeded, but so far its boring, and he only has so many issues of grace before it gets blaring. Elliot's had 5 issues and he's still Average X-Man. I'm predicting a "twist" to turn him evil or something next arc, and if it gets that predictable, the normally solid Kirkman may lose points (unless it is good). I still feel Marvel wants to invest in their Ultimate titles, the problem is that about 2 years ago, Marvel inked some landmark deal to have Mr. X-Films himself, Brian Singer, write 12 issues of the title. But, comics are clearly his side-hobby to doing, well, movies, so Marvel's been having writers do "fill ins until Singer comes" for a good 2 years now. Until they just put the deal in the shredder and commit something more permanent, this title may not improve very much. Vaughan was a godsend, but Kirkman's keeping it more in "cruise control", which only stays interesting so long. If any title's ediorial decisions accurately depicted how quickly Marvel would completely sell out to acquire "Hollywood talent", despite the book selling well without it, its' ULTIMATE X-MEN. At this point, I'd have been more excited to hear Vaughan was returning for 12 issues than Singer, sometime in the year 2018. Still, at least Kirkman is focusing on Cyclops and Jean a little, who got lost in the shuffle for some time, as well as not resorting to backpeddling into "cynical and dark" stuff like Millar and Bendis did for years before Vaughan. At this point, I'm enjoying both USM and UF4 moreso, and that's definately a change from the past few years.

MARVEL LEGACY: THE 1970'S: As usual, another fun info tome that attempts to "capture the spirit" of the decade through bio's taken from that time (with more current data in the back when applicable), of both big shots and no-names. It is worth looking through these tomes for "disguntled Marvel fans", because there were ideas a lot worse than the ones coming now. It also shows that some of Marvel's "current" policies are hardly new or the fault of Joe Q. Case in point? Relying on current politics for stories that will inevitably date the work. The 60's handbooks showed how relient Marvel was on the Cold War and Vietnam, and this 70's handbook has a clear example of the trend; the villian The Black Lama is LITERALLY an alternate-dimensional version of Gerald Ford. At least Mark Millar hasn't made Pres. Bush, like, the new Hate-Monger (yet). The entries are also full of other 70's trends, which were "more black heroes" and "psuedo horror". As well as the launch of the Defenders. The reliance on current politics continues into CIVIL WAR, which is setting itself up as a "loss of civil liberties" allegory, even though if you side against it, you are basically claiming that undocumented vigilantes accountable to no-one is realistically proper (a stance Cap and the other anti-registration folks have to make). The notion of undocumented heroes has always stood because it is one of the details of the genre, not exactly because of the the current times. CIVIL WAR could be on better ground if it paced itself as a challenge to a genre-defining tidbit in the 21st century (which is more interesting), but instead they are sticking with the current political angle. Which will be "hot" now, but in 30 years will maybe seem only a few steps above "King Jerald Ford". So don't blame Joe Q for everything, just sigh at not learning from history very well.

Mr Lex Luthor said:
"I need to think of something to arrest her for."

"If you retrieve that piece of tomato from where it fell and then put it in your mouth, I will shoot you."

^The Fell books are awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Eli.

Fell (10/10)
Don't ever cancel this title.

Poor bloke. He got stabbed, punched and branded on his neck, and now, almost lost a finger. I love reading detective comics. I used to read Detective Conan (manga), but then lost interest a while after issue 38. Fell is a great detective title. Smart, hilarious and bloody. Love the realistic and messy art, too. It's not cartoony like some.

Snowtown...GET SOME MORE FREAKING COPS!

ah, but if they did that, our dear Detective Fell wouldn't have nearly as many interesting tales to share with us ;)

glad to know I've spread more of the gospel of fine graphic storytelling :up:

want some more recs?

Elijya said:
ah, but if they did that, our dear Detective Fell wouldn't have nearly as many interesting tales to share with us ;)
LOL, I suppose you're right.

Elijya said:
want some more recs?
Sure, that'd be great, thanks. :up:

Dread said:
Older solicts claimed that NEW AVENGERS #19 was coming out today, but recent lists a few days ago noted it off the roster, and one can only conclude is that the issue is running late; the first time in nearly a year that an issue of NA has run late. Considering DC is cranking out four issues of 52 a month to eat at the Top 10, Marvel may not want to delay some of their hot book's issues too long.

A bit of a bumpy week with some ups and downs.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 5/17/06:

ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN #4:
It almost feels like an eternity since this series launched, and feels almost as long since #3 shipped (which, for those who forgot, was an almost pointless interlude introducing Black Canary and having more "skanky hot chick pummels dumb males" stuff that, well, if you liked, you've already seen done by Miller at lot better in SIN CITY volumes). Decompressed stories are bad enough, but decompression + extreme lateness can equal a book losing almost all of its appeal, and this one stumbled by the first issue. Many people bemoan ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, but at least each issue of that is almost a stand-alone story, and so thus the length between issues doesn't hurt it as much. ASB&R, on the other hand, is a clear serial. It has taken Batman & Grayson a full 3 issues to get to the Batcave, and the problems don't end there. Miller's revisioned Batman is an extreme parody; he is everything that folks stereotype about Batman taken to an Nth degree. Not only does he seek out teenage partners, he STALKS them and all but acts like a creepy molester from a Tarentino film. Not only did he grow up hard, he ATE RATS IN A CAVE and wants Grayson to, too. This Batman, while described as a scourge of the underworld, has done nothing but seemingly fight (and kill) police officers. Those "dirty cops" are also not only corrupt, but downright vile to a Fascist degree, able to pummel Vicki Vale to the verge of death (her survival is shakey as this issue closes) in full view (let alone kidnap orphaned acrobats with the intent of murdering them later). At least when Mark Millar writes his next issue of "America is Evil: The Series" (otherwise known as ULTIMATES 2), I can think of something that is actually MORE EXTREME. The best thing is Jim Lee's art and the fold-out thing of the Batcave, which was very expansive and cleverly done. The problem is that Miller was the wrong person to tap for this series; DK2 should have taught DC that Miller is a very expensive talent who has lost most of his luster (Miller was paid, supposedly, $1 million for DK2, which was an abysmal bomb). Especially since Matt Wagner wrote and drew a much better "all-star Batman" tale with MONSTER MEN a few months back (which will have a sequal this summer, that I'm definately down for). So why buy this title? For the same reason people like watching car crashes and COPS; to see how extremely funny it gets. The dialogue is a mishmash of tough guy cliche metaphors, the "grit" dial turned so high that it is more hilarious than gritty, and plus, seeing how far off the deep end this Batman is, and what the other heroes are supposedly going to do about it (Superman is shown running across the ocean this issue, and it looks downright awkward. Note to Miller; THE MAN CAN FLY). This version of Batman actually reminds me of a more vile version of "The Night Phantom" from STEAM DETECTIVES, to anyone who has heard of it (its a manga, so I'm thinkin' that its unlikely). The thing was, Night Phantom was the series' villian, so it worked. Here he is the title character, and it doesn't. One almost wonders why Alfred doesn't just poison the bum. He makes all of the ULTIMATES combined seem like relatable, loveable characters. But trainwrecks are fun to watch. And you KNOW your LCS is going to be selling these issues by the dozens for years down the road, because they overordered them. So have some pity. It'll make you more merciful than "the god damned Batman". Heck, just chuckle at the fact that this issue is so late, they don't even have a cover image ready for #5 on the last preview page, and all of the previews featured are MONTHS OLD (even WIZARD is working on "original solicts" and keeps claiming that the series will wrap up in the summer. Yeah right, boys. Keep living the dream).

No he cant, miller said he's like the golden age version, can only leap tall buildings in a single bound

Assassin said:
No he cant, miller said he's like the golden age version, can only leap tall buildings in a single bound
And fast enough to run on water.

That's interesting, I hadn't read that. Or if I did, it was sometime last year with older issues. Can't blame me for forgetting.

That scene was the least of ASB&R's problems, though.

I find it funny when people talk about All Star Batman--they can't see him being a little young, crazy, nieve, and making mistakes (which is what Miller said he would bring in the beginning), yet they can see him building satalites to spy on his friends. :o

To me, this is a half parody of the "Batdick" stuff we've been dealing with since people started to try and copy Miller, and half "Batman needs Robin so he doesn't cross the line" story amped up to further prove this point.

agreed^^

but dread, its a new interview, the one in wizard where he talks about the jla that comes in the next issue

I read X-Men, and really liked the way they ended it. Good appearance by the New Avengers, and the interactions between characters was nice. Havok's "It's an honor working with you sir!" was great. :D

I rather like the fact that it wasn't yet another "Apoc is defeated forever and ever, just to come back in a year." It left the ending open, and even had some unique foreshadowing at the end there.

Mr Lex Luthor said:
LOL, I suppose you're right.

Sure, that'd be great, thanks. :up:
Ok, if you're digging Warren Ellis and you're digging the one-issue story format, you've got to read Global Frequency. GF was a 12 issue series Ellis did a year or two ago for Image. It's about a worldwide independent rescue/response team run by a woman called Miranda Zero. It has 1,001 agents, each a master in some special field, located around the world. When crisis arise, nearby agents respond, and those further away network to lend their expertise. It's sort of like what if GI Joe wasn't run by the government and kicked alot more ass. Each issue is it's own story, each issue has different characters (only Miranda Zero and the communications agent, Adelph, appear in each story) and each issue is drawn by a different artist.

If you're digging Ben Templesmith's art, you need to read 30 Days of Night, the book that made him a name, and probably one of the best horror comics ever written.

Hell yeah, 30 days of night is awesome.

I liked the short storys they had at the end too.:up:

Aquaman #42-While I have no clue where this is going, im loving this new aspect of the Aquaman story. This is a great book thouhg if anyone would help me out it pretty much confirmed that
Tempest is dead?

MaskedManJRK said:
To me, this is a half parody of the "Batdick" stuff we've been dealing with since people started to try and copy Miller, and half "Batman needs Robin so he doesn't cross the line" story amped up to further prove this point.

Though i can see where you are coming from saying that the problem to me is that it simply isn't a very entertaining parady.

And it's not what we told it was going to be.

But to each our own :)

gildea said:
Though i can see where you are coming from saying that the problem to me is that it simply isn't a very entertaining parady.

And it's not what we told it was going to be.

But to each our own :)

Yeah i remember hearing something about telling classic Batman stories.:confused: This is definitely not it.

Boy, I haven't posted in a Bought/Thought thread for a while. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on Fell. I just called my comic store, told them to put me down for it, and let them know to get all the back issues they can for me. Now, onto some of the issues I've read this week, because I'm still so far behind on my reading:

Annihilation Nova #2: I'm loving every mini for Annihilation, and this is definitely my favorite. I've noticed a couple reviews that don't think it's as good as I do...but, I wonder if the reviewers read the Drax miniseries that came out last year. I'm loving seeing Drax and Cammi back in action, and with the return of Quasar, I'm even more jacked. This book has that great humor I loved from Drax The Destroyer, and Nova as the central character is making this book even better. I might actually be anticipating the Annihilation books more than the Civil War ones. It's just great that Marvel is doing something so cosmic. I think once Annihilation miniseries actually starts after the four minis are done, each one is only going to enhance the pleasure of the overall story. (In fact, for those who love how Infinite Crisis had miniseries vital to that story that lead into the main comic, it seems very much like that. To enjoy Annihilation, you should read all four minis. To enjoy all 4 minis, you should read some miniseries that preceeded it, like Drax The Destroyer and Thanos.) 9/10

Moon Knight #2: Sure, I'm confused about a few aspects of this comic, but it looks so unfrickin'believable, I can forgive anything. The fight sequence is one of the best I've seen come out of Marvel, and the art just makes me stare at each page even after I've finished reading it. It's a quick comic to read, and it just makes me want the next issue to come that much sooner. I'm just happy that Marvel brought back one of my favorite characters, and they did it with such style. Definitely, my Book Of The Week. 10/10

Haunt Of Horror #1: It's kind of nice to see someone's take on Poe's poetry...but, this comic of short stories really didn't do anything for me. 6/10

Marvel Adventures Avengers #1: I won't say too much about this comic...just that when I finished it, I thought, "Wow, that had more action than Bendis' entire New Avengers run, it seems." This isn't a great comic, but it just reinforced my view that New Avengers really sucks. 6/10

Marvel Legacy 1970's Handbook: I love Marvel did the 60's, and now they do the 70's. Even the color of the pages make it feel very 70's! These handbooks are just so nice to own. 8/10

Ms. Marvel #3: Another case of the cover not really representing the book. This ending of the first storyarc was kind of disappointing. Didn't do much for me, and I hope it gets better. At least I have Moon Knight. 7/10

All-Star Batman & Robin #4: With them doing so little with four issues, it seems even more apparent that DC is really trying to copy the success of Ultimate Spider-Man. USS got so much attention for the simple fact that in those first issues, you don't even get to see Peter Parker in the Spidey costume. But, this is different. This is just a lot of nothing happening. Ultimate Spidey made you interested in Peter Parker, helped you know who he and his supporting cast were before he donned his costume. A reader of these four issues could give a rat's butt about Bruce Wayne, Vicky Vale, or anyone else for that matter. (I will say, the fold out of the Batcave was kind of neat, though. But, it just made this issue 17 pages long, really, by giving it a 6 page treatment.) I guess the worst part is issue #1 came out in July 2005, and this is all we've gotten for the last 11 months. DC can't keep up with even a bi-monthly schedule. 5/10

Elijya said:
Ok, if you're digging Warren Ellis and you're digging the one-issue story format, you've got to read Global Frequency. GF was a 12 issue series Ellis did a year or two ago for Image. It's about a worldwide independent rescue/response team run by a woman called Miranda Zero. It has 1,001 agents, each a master in some special field, located around the world. When crisis arise, nearby agents respond, and those further away network to lend their expertise. It's sort of like what if GI Joe wasn't run by the government and kicked alot more ass. Each issue is it's own story, each issue has different characters (only Miranda Zero and the communications agent, Adelph, appear in each story) and each issue is drawn by a different artist.

If you're digging Ben Templesmith's art, you need to read 30 Days of Night, the book that made him a name, and probably one of the best horror comics ever written.
Thanks. I'll definitely check out those two. :up:

Thunderbolts #102

Thought it was a little too convienient that Joystick got a "power-up" last issue, just in time to face off against Speed Demon THIS issue, and beat the crap out him.

More contrived bull**** from Nicieza. 4/10.

CaptainStacy said:
Thunderbolts #102

Thought it was a little too convienient that Joystick got a "power-up" last issue, just in time to face off against Speed Demon THIS issue, and beat the crap out him.

More contrived bull**** from Nicieza. 4/10.

Man, I saw that issue totally different. I love how they explained that Joystick has kept certain powers a secret, and the fact she gave herself a silly nickname, like Joystick, just so people would underestimate her. I find Thunderbolts one of the most refreshing books, because it takes the D-List characters of Marvel, like Radioactive Man, and makes them interesting. This book consistently builds upon itself each issue...and, even knowing it's going to tie-in with Civil War makes me more interested.

This is one of those books, though, where people seem to either think it's great or a piece of garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"