BOUGHT/THOUGHT Thread for 6/14/06: SPOILERS Inside!

Marcdachamp said:
Civil War- PICK OF THE YEAR. 10/10

So far, I would agree with you. I really am enjoying this, despite knowing what was going to happen. I can not wait for Pete's first face-to-face with Jonah. I can't wait!

I thought, rather than a review, I'd do a review-by-proxy. I gave this to my girlfriend's 12-year old daughter. She likes Runaways, Thing :( Spider-Girl, loves Arana, and the Mary Jane series. I gave her CW #1 when it came out, but she really didn't have much interest in it. Yesterday, I said ,"Hey, you might want to check this out" and gave her the page where Pete unmasks. She was so angry. I was honestly a little taken aback by her response. I thought she'd say "Cool" and give it back to me. She was yelling that they can't do that (keep in mind, this is a character that she really doesn't follow, other than in Ultimate S-M). She was really mad. But you know what she did: she turned to the front and read from the beginning. She couldn't help it, she had to know. And she was even more angry afterwards. And I'm willing to bet that she'll ask me when the next one comes out. Fans should care, and should be angry when something happens to their favorite character.

iloveclones said:
So far, I would agree with you. I really am enjoying this, despite knowing what was going to happen. I can not wait for Pete's first face-to-face with Jonah. I can't wait!

I thought, rather than a review, I'd do a review-by-proxy. I gave this to my girlfriend's 12-year old daughter. She likes Runaways, Thing :( Spider-Girl, loves Arana, and the Mary Jane series. I gave her CW #1 when it came out, but she really didn't have much interest in it. Yesterday, I said ,"Hey, you might want to check this out" and gave her the page where Pete unmasks. She was so angry. I was honestly a little taken aback by her response. I thought she'd say "Cool" and give it back to me. She was yelling that they can't do that (keep in mind, this is a character that she really doesn't follow, other than in Ultimate S-M). She was really mad. But you know what she did: she turned to the front and read from the beginning. She couldn't help it, she had to know. And she was even more angry afterwards. And I'm willing to bet that she'll ask me when the next one comes out. Fans should care, and should be angry when something happens to their favorite character.

This story makes me sad. Hopefully your daughter doesnt become jaded like us.:( Joe Quesada made a little girl cry. Bastard.

iloveclones said:

Fair enough, but I guess I appreciate looking at a piece of beautiful art over gawking at a car wreck.

Darthphere said:
This story makes me sad. Hopefully your daughter doesnt become jaded like us.:( Joe Quesada made a little girl cry. Bastard.
Hey! I said I almost cr....er... ahem. You were talking about the kid Captain Stacy was talking about, weren't ya? :O

Marcdachamp said:
Hey! I said I almost cr....er... ahem. You were talking about the kid Captain Stacy was talking about, weren't ya? :O

Iloveclones kid.

Doc Destruction said:
Fair enough, but I guess I appreciate looking at a piece of beautiful art over gawking at a car wreck.

I don't think you'll EVER get anywhere near art in a superhero event.

Supreme Power: MY FRIGGIN' God. Does EVERY ADAMANT CHRISTIAN have to be evil/hypocritical? Can we not see ONE, I'm just asking for ONE positive, christian rolemodel in comics? I mean, okay, so there are bad christians out there, but come on! why is it only the bad ones are getting publicity?

Marcdachamp said:
Civil War- It starts with one of the most amazing first pages ever. The Vulture and the Grim Reaper, beaten and defeated, beautifully illustrated by McNiven. Cap was here. We move on to see more humanizing of the Pro-Registration's side. Then Cap kicks more ass alongside his partner who also manages to kick major ass. Then three pages that made so many emotions rise inside of me. I laughed, I nearly cried... time will tell whether or not this is wise, but for now? PICK OF THE YEAR. 10/10

Spider-Girl- Wow. I thought Pete, wearing his old costume, was going to be the one impaled. Man, it's pretty much assured that my girl's getting a re-launch, but DeFalco's sure making this and Last Planet Standing a nail biter! Issue #100, I can't wait! 9/10

Cable and Deadpool- Loved Domino's fears and how she wants to trust Nate. The Civil War arc should be really good. Cable just took over another country. This man is dangerous. Can't wait to see if the government tries going after him. 9/10

Wolverine: Origins- Hmmm... interesting. We watch Nuke's ****ed up childhood unfold, but it seems a little odd. The whys are still there. Hopefully next issue will clear up more. 7/10

Sensational Spider-Man- Let me get this straight. Medina is totally sucking on this arc, so they put Clayton Crain on last issue, who, despite a ho-hum script, nails it out of the park with one of the coolest images of Spidey's new suit yet. After that, they think "Hmmm. Let's get that crappy guy back!" What the ****? Ugh. It's too bad, because had Crain done the entire arc it wouldn't have been so bad. As it stands, instead of a decent arc, we get a very forgetable Spider-Tale. 5/10

Also bought:
Marvel Legends Marvel Masterpieces: Fantastic 4 #1- Woah. Saw this at Wal-Mart and had to own it. An amazingly cool diorama of the FF's first fight. Way too cool for words.

Pick of the year?CW #2 is definitely a contender for that title.

Zoken said:
Supreme Power: MY FRIGGIN' God. Does EVERY ADAMANT CHRISTIAN have to be evil/hypocritical? Can we not see ONE, I'm just asking for ONE positive, christian rolemodel in comics? I mean, okay, so there are bad christians out there, but come on! why is it only the bad ones are getting publicity?

I'm pretty sure Nightcrawler is christian.

taskmaster said:
I'm pretty sure Nightcrawler is christian.

Catholic actually, yes theyre christians too but different.

gildea said:
I don't think you'll EVER get anywhere near art in a superhero event.

It was metaphor.

IC = art - well crafted story, huge continuity, amazing drama

Civil War = car wreck - BIG HUGE SHOCKER, BIG HUGE SHOCKER, BIG HUGE SHOCKER

Catholics are a denomination of Christianity (I am one). but look at Nightcrawler recently. He got pissed at god, was revealed NOT to be a priest, and the enemies in that whole story line were, of course, OTHER CHRISTIANS. in fact, their ring leader was a nun raped by a priest.

GNR4Life said:

I could think of better issues for Pick of the year

roach said:
I could think of better issues for Pick of the year

True like Infinite Crisis #4 or Batman #650, but Civil War #2 did kick ass!

Civil War 2 - Great issue! I loved the Vulture and Grim Reaper page, and the later Young Avengers pursuit. Both were great. Spidey's reveal was something I've never wanted to see, but for some reason I really enjoyed it and am happy he did it. I really want to see the repercussions of it, and I think the JJJ reaction was priceless! I'm making a prediction that a bunch of villains (like in the cover to issue 5) are going to unite and go after Parker and his loved ones, resulting in Mary Jane's death, and that will somehow renig a lot of people's opinions of the Registration Act. Just my thinking anyhow.

Thunderbolts 103 - Great issue, and I'm real curious where it goes from here. It was neat seeing Mimic on the wall and I hope they do something with that, but the artist messed up with both Boomerrang (as mentione dearlier) and with Blob, who was still fat even though he's been one of the main mutants depowered (as shown in House of M and Generation M). I've beef off of this title for a while now so some things confused me... like who's the smuggler? And why are the Thunderbolts alongside Zemo? Is he a hero now?

Exiles - The final to the World Tour if I'm not mistaken, and it was good. I have to say that I really don't like how they took out Proteus. The idea was good, but not the result. So you're telling me that Morph is really still Proteus, just thinking he's Morph? Please tell me that's not going to stick... otherwise Morph is pretty much dead to us.

hippie_hunter said:

I liked CW2 better than either of those... and I can't really think of another issue that I've liked better, so I'm going to stick with the issue of the year thing for me. Wait... the most recent issue of Ultimates could give it a challenge. The whole Hawkeye/fingernails/"run" thing was awsome!

Darthphere said:

She's actually not my daughter. And, c'mon, she's 12. She's already jaded. About Everything!

GNR4Life said:
Could be but I bet that honor will go to IC#7 with the First Superman dying and Superman losing his powers for a year. I think that may do it or any one of the IC titles because you killed off Lois and Superboy.

hippie_hunter said:

The issue where WW kills Max Lord was pretty cool to me

I agree that the left bias is getting VERY annoying. I don't mind a political message once in a while, but at least TRY to get a balance, otherwise it comes off as your personal soap box when I just want to read the characters I love.

But felt the same about X23 at first, but I read her mini and it was really good. I have read other character arcs of hers and she's really grown on me. She just joined New X Men, and though I have jus read the first trade, it seems like a really good title.

iloveclones said:
She's actually not my daughter. And, c'mon, she's 12. She's already jaded. About Everything!

Maury Povich just came back with the DNA results....:(

Doc Destruction said:
It was metaphor.

i'd argue the story is (so far) better crafted in civil war.

Not a better event or even a better story (is CW) but the craft in IC was incredibly poor.

I'd also look up metaphor.

Doc Destruction said:
It was metaphor.

I've heard the praise for IC,and I bet it's well deserving.

Calling CW a car wreck is extremely far fetched.Then again,I must take into considertion your anti-Marvel stance.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"