World Brandon Routh VS Tom Welling

I voted for Brandon. I thought he did a solid job as Superman and and gave us the best version of Clark to date.

Hollywoodland said:
I dont think its fair to compare them though since theyre playing totally different characters. Welling plays the teenage version of the character while Brandon plays Superman/Metropolis Clark Kent

Exactly, that was what I meant when I said we haven't seen Welling as Superman really in the show Smallville; not asking for a manip of him in the suit (I've seen plenty of those). :p

The Incredible Hulk said:
too bad acting involves talking and emoting or Routh wouldve really been on to something. Routh's SR performance was akin to Welling in Smallville's 1st season. They minimized his exposure and relied more on the other actors to support him. Thats OK to learn on a WB TV series but bad for a $200+ million motion picture.

Thankfully Tom's gotten much better and can actually convey emotion in non-verbal ways now, something I saw very little of out of Routh. Most of the time he had a blank look on his face, and his lines were delivered all the same way whether he was Superman or Clark. He had "Dean Cain syndrome." His performance as Superman reminded me just how great Reeve was because he had all the nuance and detail you could ever want. Based on reading the novel, you can tell a lot of the scenes that really had to focus on Brandon like the return to Krypton and the Smallville scenes, seemed REALLY cut down in the film, whihc really tells me something.
Yeah, Routh's inability to emote was really egregious in the scene after he saves the plane. Not only was his "statistically speaking" line delivered horribly (Reeve OWNS that line in STM), his blank stare as he looks at the baseball crowd was terrible.

Kane said:
This is in response to reactions to Brandon's performance; I wasnt around years ago to hear any reactions to Tom so I'm curious now, who gave a better performance and why? Who is the definative Superman for this generation overall?

Tom Welling

x1pgliP38XxBL0fNqAM6nTtgRmqvDOnpbp3omrqQdxRl8fLhp2p6sBOLnwW_-vJgMKkW1UVO8AzhaoPPrfB1DPWemHLsCuoWRnph3gAxV7981lQHmNtp_ejmXv1BGBX9Sbese4XH2dALE96D2M27HStQw

Or

Brandon Routh

normal_03%7E6.jpg

You can't compare them since they play different roles.

Gough and Millar have said that Welling will become Superman in the last episode of Smallville. I'm looking forward to to seeing that more than SR (which hasn't been released yet in europe). Welling has a much better look and has really matured as an actor in the last couple of season's of Smallville. It's a shame that the show is so bad at times.

Up Up & Oy Vey! said:
Tom should have been Brandon as a teen in SR.

That would be stupid. Besides, the reason Tom did not do SR is because he does not only want to be known as Superman when people read his resume for other films or something; or at least those are the rumors I heard. Brandon lost the role in Smallville to Welling and got 'second place'.

Just because Tom Welling emotes that doesn't mean he's good at it.

Brandon Routh is my pick.

Junfan said:
Agreed.

Though it's hard to compare the two, because Routh really didn't play "Clark", except for that one scene on the farm, he only played the moron Clark at the planet.

When Routh is Superman, he is Clark Kent. Tom Welling's Clark isn't pretending to be someone else, and neither is Routh's Superman.

And I've never understoond how Superman can be a disguise. It's not just that he doesn't wear a mask, but he doesn't put on an act either.

I think Welling would probably make a better Superman than Routh did in 'SR'. Don't get me wrong, I like Routh, but Tom Welling has more of the comic-book look. AND Welling has believable acting abilities. Routh's acting is sub-par.

Oh yeah; Routh was so awesome as an actor WITH HIS 20 LINES OF DIALOGUE in Superman Returns. I've seen bias in my time, but this is on a level that is scary.

I don't even care if you like Welling or not, for you to utter the words "Routh is an amazing actor" you've got to be high on something. That's like me coming out of the blocks after 20 meters of the 100 meter sprint next to a world class sprinter. I'm sure it may SEEM like I can keep up with him, but that's only because we've taken basically 5 steps.

Routh was an action figure – that’s it. And not a convincing one at that for me.

NHawk19 said:
Best I can do is a manip

smallville_super.jpg

The SV forum has more of these if you want to see . . . .

He wanted to see what Tom Welling would look like in the suit. Not ROB LOWE!!!!! :p

Brandon Routh, proved his worthy to take up The Mantel of SUPERMAN left behind by Reeve .

Welling isn't Superman yet, he's still Jr. Kent from smallville .

Heres another poll from Bluetights.net, Who was the best Superman actor:

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?p=766096#post766096

Brandon Routh - 72 votes

Christopher Reeve - 58 votes

George Reeves - 4 votes

Dean Cain - 2 votes

Other - 2 votes

Tom Welling 1 vote

I guess some people can see beyond crappy manips. They should do this poll on Supermanhomepage.com also, I'd imagine the results wouldnt be much different.

I do think Chris and Brandon will eventually tie though in these polls which seems about right.

Kal-El 8 said:
that's about right .
How, HOW is that about right? Routh as CK doesn't even talk -- god damn that's bias!

How do you rate Routh's CK as better then Reeve's (when Reeve actually talked)? !#@!%#@@#@#!!!!

/calming down now

Vandal Savage said:
Heres another poll from Bluetights.net, Who was the best Superman actor:

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?p=766096#post766096

Brandon Routh - 72 votes

Christopher Reeve - 58 votes

George Reeves - 4 votes

Dean Cain - 2 votes

Other - 2 votes

Tom Welling 1 vote

I guess some people can see beyond crappy manips. They should do this poll on Supermanhomepage.com also, I'd imagine the results wouldnt be much different.

I do think Chris and Brandon will eventually tie though in these polls which seems about right.
Oh yeah? Ya think? Maybe you should take this poll outside of the SR circle jerk black hole and see how Routh fares.

Zing79 said:
How, HOW is that about right? Routh as CK doesn't even talk -- god damn that's bias!

How do you rate Routh's CK as better then Reeve's (when Reeve actually talked)? !#@!%#@@#@#!!!!

/calming down now

Routh's Clark is not a bumbling idoit like Reeve's Clark was . I could actually see Lois Lane falling in love with this version of clark. much more than Reeve's Clark. {by no means I'm I saying Reeve's Clark Kent isn't good, because that's just not true, Reeve's was great as both Kent & Kal-El. But he played Kent a little too stupid, that I could see why Lois wouldn't give Clark the time of day .}

Kal-El 8 said:
Routh's Clark is not a bumbling idoit like Reeve's Clark was . I could actually see Lois Lane falling in love with this version of clark. much more than Reeve's Clark. {by no means I'm I saying Reeve's Clark Kent isn't good, because that's just not true, Reeve's was great as both Kent & Kal-El. But he played Kent a little too stupid, that I could see why Lois wouldn't give Clark the time of day .}
Sigh...you obviously deduced this from ALL THE NOT TALKING Routh did right? You can't say he's stupid, because he said nothing, you can't say he's smart, because he said nothing. To deduce anything from nothing is to project your own opinion on what was going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"