World Brandon Routh VS Tom Welling

BB took place in 2005 as Nolan said, modern take in modern times. SV takes place in the present also.

During the summer that Batman Began, Bruce is near his 30s.....SV's Clark just turned 18. It doesnt fit at all. Theyre universes just dont mix well.

Theres only one real choice:

mmm55ti.jpg

From an interview with IESB in 2005, Bale said hes down with it but it wont happen for a long while till Batman is established.

Brandon is asked about it alot, and he said as long as they arent fighting each other for the whole film (ala Batman VS Superman script) hes down with it.

DC comics president Levitz stated the need for this to eventually happen, but said both Superman and Batman must first establish themselves on the big screen first.

I see it happening after both franchaises do about 2-3 films each.

Ahh this pic looks so much more Iconic with Kate Bosworth censored out;

worldsfinestt-1.jpg

Add in Taylor Cole as WW

Taylor%20Cole-2.jpg

And its the friggen DC trifecta.

The way Nolan shot BB and Singer shot SR I would find it pretty difficult to belive see there in the same universe. Especially when one has a look and feel of various timelines in the characters history and was a sequel of sorts to another movie in another time and the other while it may look authentic isnt neccessairly in realtime but rather adheres to a real and gritty feel.

Super_Ludacris said:
The way Nolan shot BB and Singer shot SR I would find it pretty difficult to belive see there in the same universe. Especially when one has a look and feel of various timelines in the characters history and was a sequel of sorts to another movie in another time and the other while it may look authentic isnt neccessairly in realtime but rather adheres to a real and gritty feel.

Ah thats where I disagree. Alot of people complain that SR looked too dark and gritty, too realistic. Most people were expecting it to look like the Max Flesher cartoon based on the early production photos, but it ended up looking like modern New York, mostly darkly shot. Very Very different from the bright 70s universe of the Donner films.

I think the one key positive that came from that approach is it fits into Batman Begin's universe pretty well, at least from a visual point of view. Gotham would obviously be even darker given the economic and corrupt state of that city, while Metropolis is pretty affluent and resembles pretty tightly what Gotham looked liked in the flashbacks to Bruce's childhood.

Storywise, Batman beginning during a time where Superman has been gone for an extended period, where the world has fallen into a darker state without the light; disasters, terrorism etc (wait for the cutscene on the SR dvd of Kent reading the newspaper and learning about all this crap that happened during his absense....they probably thought it was redundant with the scene of him flipping tv channels about this stuff) adds up.

They could easily write it so the emergence of Batman and the return of Superman acts as a positive force in a dark world that encourages more heroes to step up and make themselves known.

Actually SR was anything but dark and gritty. It was classic light. Batman on the other was the literal definition of keeping it real and grimey. Maybe Superman Returns wasnt as light as other Superman films but it was still light in today's landscape on par with a Spider-Man

Gotham looks like a real city and doesnt have any gothic atmosphere like Burtons nor does it have as of yet that criminal induced insanity feel like in the comics. Metropolis definetly had a comic book feel especially in the sets (Daily Planet)

Super_Ludacris said:
Actually SR was anything but dark and gritty. It was classic light. Batman on the other was the literal definition of keeping it real and grimey. Maybe Superman Returns wasnt as light as other Superman films but it was still light in today's landscape on par with a Spider-Man

Gotham looks like a real city and doesnt have any gothic atmosphere like Burtons nor does it have as of yet that criminal induced insanity feel like in the comics. Metropolis definetly had a comic book feel especially in the sets (Daily Planet)

I dont know about that. The Daily Planet looked like a classic deco building because it was built in 1938 in SR. Thats about it. In alot of the shots; the one where Superman is flying above the city landscape to go to Lois' house, you can see a wide view of the city....and it looks like a real city (mainly because of where it was shot, they couldnt make it look comicbook-like). It wasnt overly-stylized like the Burton films were.

Its really nowhere near Spiderman. I watched the 2nd one over yesterday and the city looks bright and artsy, like right out of a comic book. It was the ideal look that alot of fans wanted for SR but didnt get, but me personally, I liked a darker, more realistic look.

Everything in SR had a more toned down look, even the costume. Youve heard the endless fanboy whining about the colors, the darker colors. Personally I like it. It works better in a universe like this than bright red underwear.....

But you get the idea, they arent that different to the point where a talented director couldnt envision the two universes together. If Metropolis was any darker than it was presented, or grittier like Gotham in BB, it wouldnt be Metropolis anymore.

The Spider-man and Superman Returns city landscapes looked the same. Real but pretty light for real

I'm watching SR over right now, I'll try to take some caps from the landscape shots.

So far, it looks like the Daily Planet is almost like a relic from out of time in alot of shots, like it doesnt blend well but the rest of the city looks contemporary, in fact that shot of him hovering above it just looks like Sydney or some random Australian city.. I dont think they were even trying to make it look different to the extent Raimi did. Singer has a very dark, realistic style in his films.

Are you actually gonna post caps for the sake of this pointless debate?

My orignal point is that I dont think they can co-exist in a movie together even though I wouldnt mind seeing a Batman/Supeman film. Singer could do it maybe but he's waay too much into Superman and Nolan I dont know if he could grasp with the all colourful all-lightness fantasy of Superman like he did with dark/grittyness of Batman. Singer and Nolan did both characters well in there world but it could be a problem if they worked together and try to cross them over into one film. It's gotta have a strong script that appeals to both and no creative differences and that's easier said than done even with both of them.
I know for a fact that some people would complain that they may show one

People complain over anything, it doesnt stop movie makers. I do agree that the director of this shouldnt be Singer or Nolan, it should be one with a familiarity with both genres and a fresh prespective at the same time.

When Batman and Superman always meet, its a different dynamic that the 2 of them individually, so a new director for that project would be cool after Singer and Nolan complete their trilogies.

Vandal Savage said:
People complain over anything, it doesnt stop movie makers. I do agree that the director of this shouldnt be Singer or Nolan, it should be one with a familiarity with both genres and a fresh prespective at the same time.
When Batman and Superman always meet, its a different dynamic that the 2 of them individually, so a new director for that project would be cool after Singer and Nolan complete their trilogies.

Like who?

I dont know, give me some time to think about it. One thing I know for sure is it wouldnt be the Wolfgang Peterson treatment, Routh seems to be against that versus concept crap.

I can't complain about Brandon Routh's performance. Actually, some plot elements and the downright hideous costume (what was Singer smoking when he approved that monstrosity?) disappoint me more than the casting.

Personally, I've been rooting for Tom Welling to put on the suit since day one. True, he may not have the chiseled look some of us find essential in Superman, if he can pull off a teenage Clark as well as he has, I think he could at least play a decent adult Superman. You have to consider that he looks boyish on Smallville partially because they put makeup on him to acheive just that effect. Try to picture him with much less youth-inducing makeup and maybe a tad bit of face-hardening makeup, and I think you'd have a good vision of what a TW Superman would look like. I really don't think it's fair to SV fans to present a compelling epic about Superman's coming-of-age only to deny us the pleasure of seeing this rich reinterpretation brought to its logical conclusion. It's almost a waste of all the effort and success that SV entails.

Regarding the comparative mood (light vs. dark) of recent superhero films, I must say I'm growing frustrated with the popular misconception that "contemporary" and "light" are mutually exclusive styles. In order for something to be considered really "modern" in the superhero genre anymore, it has little choice but to go the gritty, dismal route, and that's just not right. I'd be the last to advocate a return to the campiness of the '60s and '70s, but I think our tastes as a general public are beginning to shift too far to the other extreme. Batman may be the exception, since the very nature of the character entails a somewhat darker mood, but one of the things that's always appealed to me about Superman is that he's usually one of the more optimistic superheroes. Cynics ridicule him as an "overgrown boy scout," but the truth is that's exactly what he is and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I must admit, if I were Tom Welling I'd be so disappointed that I didn't get to wear the suit and play Superman in the movie.

Gregorius said:
I can't complain about Brandon Routh's performance. Actually, some plot elements and the downright hideous costume (what was Singer smoking when he approved that monstrosity?) disappoint me more than the casting.

Personally, I've been rooting for Tom Welling to put on the suit since day one. True, he may not have the chiseled look some of us find essential in Superman, if he can pull off a teenage Clark as well as he has, I think he could at least play a decent adult Superman. You have to consider that he looks boyish on Smallville partially because they put makeup on him to acheive just that effect. Try to picture him with much less youth-inducing makeup and maybe a tad bit of face-hardening makeup, and I think you'd have a good vision of what a TW Superman would look like. I really don't think it's fair to SV fans to present a compelling epic about Superman's coming-of-age only to deny us the pleasure of seeing this rich reinterpretation brought to its logical conclusion. It's almost a waste of all the effort and success that SV entails..

Tom looks 30ish, especially now. Way too old to be playing a teenager, so it works out. I think he may have the right look (obviously not the Chris Reeve Superman) but for his own Superman, like Dean Cain did...

But I can't honestly see him pulling off the Clark Kent/Superman duality as believeable while Brandon made them seem like two different people (probably thanks to Singer's direction as he goes for the realism factor):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4J79W6NCTk

That was what sold me about Brandon and why this was such a hard role to cast. Without even considering the major acting needed to pull it off, you also need someone with no real distinguishing features that blends into the background as Clark and can be made into a regal, powerful hero as Superman. It was tough.

I've seen Tom with glasses. Even facially, he looks the same and he has pretty noticeable exaggerated features; wide flared nostrils, huge lips etc. It would be pretty obvious to the people in Metropolis that his Clark and Superman are one in the same.

Gregorius said:
Regarding the comparative mood (light vs. dark) of recent superhero films, I must say I'm growing frustrated with the popular misconception that "contemporary" and "light" are mutually exclusive styles. In order for something to be considered really "modern" in the superhero genre anymore, it has little choice but to go the gritty, dismal route, and that's just not right. I'd be the last to advocate a return to the campiness of the '60s and '70s, but I think our tastes as a general public are beginning to shift too far to the other extreme. Batman may be the exception, since the very nature of the character entails a somewhat darker mood, but one of the things that's always appealed to me about Superman is that he's usually one of the more optimistic superheroes. Cynics ridicule him as an "overgrown boy scout," but the truth is that's exactly what he is and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

You know Singer goes for that dark realism in all his movies. I think it will continue in the sequel but it will feel alot more justified given what is likely to be Brainiac in an action/scifi film, according to Singer at the con.

I commend him for trying to do something different with SR than his usual projects. To do a epic romance story thats more of an artsy flick than a summer popcorn one. But, I think he'll go back to his usual formula with the 2nd one. Some diversity isnt bad but it was risky to try something like this for the first film in the series.

However, Ive never seen a superhero film handled like SR so I'm grateful that it was at least attempted once in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"