Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Vampire - Part 3

i just finished the episode of Angel Season 2 where we got to see more of Darla's backstory. She was created in the 1600s and the Master already looked like that. Lord how old was he? She was 400 and hadn't even started changing in look. Angels like close to 250 right?

when Angelus was disrespectful to him, i feel like the Master should've done more. He was too lenient and it made him not look like the badass he was supposed to be. i would've liked to know more about him, and how he became leader of their kind or whatever she said down in the sewers.

also, do they ever explain why he wanted Darla? like what made him come to a sick, "****e" the night before she was about to die and want to turn her. had he been scoping her out?

Last edited:
Midway through season 2 now and Kendra just showed up and uh... oh god. That’s all I’ll say about that.

Random observations: Buffy and Angel’s relationship so far has consisted of them just interacting very little and then talking about how hard it is for them to be together. I also mostly remember Spike from the later seasons but so I forgot how he was actually a pretty fun character early on. Drusilla is pretty fun too even though her acting like a grown child can get a little grating sometime. Cordelia being with Xander is not really feeling... all that good tbh.

Also, it’s really fun watching vampires be menacing. The messed up faces and loud growling is actually pretty cool and I miss it. I know Twilight gets a lot of flack for “ruining” vampires but even stuff like Underworld, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries had more human like vampires who just hiss a lot. So these vampires have been fun to watch.

Midway through season 2 now and Kendra just showed up and uh... oh god. That’s all I’ll say about that.

Random observations: Buffy and Angel’s relationship so far has consisted of them just interacting very little and then talking about how hard it is for them to be together. I also mostly remember Spike from the later seasons but so I forgot how he was actually a pretty fun character early on. Drusilla is pretty fun too even though her acting like a grown child can get a little grating sometime. Cordelia being with Xander is not really feeling... all that good tbh.

Also, it’s really fun watching vampires be menacing. The messed up faces and loud growling is actually pretty cool and I miss it. I know Twilight gets a lot of flack for “ruining” vampires but even stuff like Underworld, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries had more human like vampires who just hiss a lot. So these vampires have been fun to watch.
Yeah I found Buffy and Angel strange until around midway through season 2. They nailed a couple of key episodes before he lost his soul.

When I was kid watching Season 2, I found Spike really menacing and couldn't buy him falling for Buffy, but after that rewatch I realized he's as much a sap for love in season 2 that he is in later seasons.

And YES, it's amazing to see menacing and complex vampires. Stuff like the Originals I find to be quite all posturing and little depth. Van Helsing on Syfy is the closest I've seen recently to vampires that feel complex again.

Yeah I found Buffy and Angel strange until around midway through season 2. They nailed a couple of key episodes before he lost his soul.

When I was kid watching Season 2, I found Spike really menacing and couldn't buy him falling for Buffy, but after that rewatch I realized he's as much a sap for love in season 2 that he is in later seasons.

And YES, it's amazing to see menacing and complex vampires. Stuff like the Originals I find to be quite all posturing and little depth. Van Helsing on Syfy is the closest I've seen recently to vampires that feel complex again.
Those episodes should be coming up now :up:. And yeah, Spike has always been a total sap for love :funny:. I started disliking him after
the assault quite a bit. I really wish that had never happened because him being associated with that makes it hard to enjoy Spike at this stage for me. Especially because he is a very enjoyable character right now.

Those episodes should be coming up now :up:. And yeah, Spike has always been a total sap for love :funny:. I started disliking him after
the assault quite a bit. I really wish that had never happened because him being associated with that makes it hard to enjoy Spike at this stage for me. Especially because he is a very enjoyable character right now.
I still don't really understand the point of the assault. I'm a ways off getting to that point in my rewatch but it'll be interesting to how I view it after all this time. All that complex character work thrown away for a cheap plot device to get his soul back.

Done with season two. That finale always made me so sad. That ****er Xander not telling Buffy the truth :argh:. I mean Angelus was real, real bad and deserved comeuppance but Buffy’s your friend you ass.
I still don't really understand the point of the assault. I'm a ways off getting to that point in my rewatch but it'll be interesting to how I view it after all this time. All that complex character work thrown away for a cheap plot device to get his soul back.
It’s just tragic. Cause Spike really was pretty great throughout this season. Especially in the finale.

I have less hatred for Xander keeping that to himself now. Buffy hesitating had caused her problems against Angelus before and Willow was too late completing the curse anyway. Maybe she could have changed up her tactics knowing what Willow was trying but we saw the way Angelus was fighting here; he was done playing games and wanted Buffy out of the way. He came so close to beating a focused Buffy, and a hesitant Buffy would have been catastrophic.

Xander wrestles with insecurity and inferiority throughout the show, and I did warm to him later on in the show once he took his foot off the gas on the moral superiority. But yeah in those first 3 seasons in particular he is reprehensible at times

I have less hatred for Xander keeping that to himself now. Buffy hesitating had caused her problems against Angelus before and Willow was too late completing the curse anyway. Maybe she could have changed up her tactics knowing what Willow was trying but we saw the way Angelus was fighting here; he was done playing games and wanted Buffy out of the way. He came so close to beating a focused Buffy, and a hesitant Buffy would have been catastrophic.
I think it could’ve worked better as a conflict if it was maybe just this one thing and Xander wasn’t constantly leering and hitting on Buffy even after she made it clear that she just saw him as a friend; even after he himself started dating someone else. It looked like he just did it because of jealousy. The second episode of the third season also really doesn’t help make his . Not that the others were being

I watched the final season of Angel recently and it made me remember why I was such a fan. STILL disappointed it ended and we never go that season 6.

I watched the final season of Angel recently and it made me remember why I was such a fan. STILL disappointed it ended and we never go that season 6.
I do remember the first season of Angel being great, a certain grittiness to the story and the people they were helping. They felt like real people.

Might pull out the dvd over Christmas.

I do remember the first season of Angel being great, a certain grittiness to the story and the people they were helping. They felt like real people.

The first season was easily the worst, imo. Like they hadn’t really figured out what the show should be yet. S2, S3 & S5 are where it’s at!

Agreed. Season One is really good, the noir aspects that David Greenwalt implemented, the monster of the week episodes and the writing in general just gave it all a different dimension from Buffy.

To Shanshu In LA, I Will Remember You, Expecting, Rm W/A Vu, Five By Five, The Prodigal all were some good stuff.

Last edited:
I wonder if the arc of what happened to Fred was done knowing the series might be cancelled? Because introducing Illyria seemed like an extreme thing to do assuming Whedon and co. thought a 6th season was forthcoming.

I wonder if the arc of what happened to Fred was done knowing the series might be cancelled? Because introducing Illyria seemed like an extreme thing to do assuming Whedon and co. thought a 6th season was forthcoming.

He wasn't sure if they'd bring it back or not and they got annoyed with him asking so...byeeeeee even though it didnt make sense considering it was the only WB show to gain viewers that year.

I remember reading rumors that there was a plan for Willow to guest star and split Fred and Illyria into two separate entities.

Agreed. Season One is really good, the noir aspects that David Greenwalt implemented, the monster of the week episodes and the writing in general just gave it all a different dimension from Buffy.

To Shanshu In LA, I Will Remember You, Expecting, Rm W/A Vu, Five By Five, The Prodigal all were some good stuff.
I will remember you....on second thought, I don't think I can put myself through that again. :(

I remember reading rumors that there was a plan for Willow to guest star and split Fred and Illyria into two separate entities.

Given what happened with Willow in later seasons, all I can say is: eww. I am glad that didn't come to pass.

( Fred and Illyria both getting a mutual happy ending, good. Having this happy ending achieved at the hands of Little Miss "Who needs redemption, I did nothing wrong ever"? Not so much. Granted, this is my response to almost all late-season-Buffy crossovers to Angel. . . )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"