"By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 3

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

Well, I never expected to "see" wind since it's invisible. But the effects of it should be seen. It was just inconsistent. In the third act at Alcatraz you can see her hair being blown back as she rises (before Callisto jumps her). But later, when Logan told her to go so he could confront Jean, she just took off like Superman: her eyes stayed brown and there was not even a hint of breeze effect on her or Logan. This detail was also missed in the Danger Room sequence: she was channeling her powers--even transporting Logan with her in one instance--and yet her eyes never went white. If they have to go white when she clears fog at Alkali Lake, when she went airborne at Jean Grey's home, or summons dozens of tornadoes in X2, consistency would suggest the same for the above instances.

Storm's flight abilities are not innate like Superman's: it takes controlled effort. Think about it: to hoist a 100-plus pound object in the air takes a significant gale force. That's why I mentioned the X1 elevator sequence: there was a LOT of wind moving which is why her decending on Toad looked all the more realistic and scary.

Of course, I respect one has to suspend some disbelief. But I do believe that X3's production was a bit inconsistent on those details. The production was so rushed. I also think the producers knew it too; that's why some of the worst examples got cut. One was a "tidal wave" sequence where Storm is floating in mid air and nothing is blowing at all.

2. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

I thought the wire work in the elevator scene was atrocious. I don't get complaining about the wire work in X3 when the wirework has been subpar throughout the entire series.

3. Lightning Strykez!

Wire work is a necessary evil. I am criticizing more about the finishing details that should make the wire work look believable.

For example, the jerky wire work could actually work for Storm's on screen power displays. Why? Because wind is a rocky, volatile element. Therefore Storm's flight should have less precision than say someone who is graceful like Superman.

4. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

There is no longer an excuse for the wire work that has been in pretty much X-Men film so far. It is bad. Even Magneto's in First Class was horrible. If we can have some of the shots in MoS, there is no excuse. Clark levitates in the air magnificently.

5. I SEE SPIDEY

I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree, I think it's a good idea to keep her flying powers wind based.

6. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Quoted for truth I agree she would look amazing with those eyes and the hair. Yaya would make a stunning younger Storm if they decided to do that but Idk if she can act I know that she was a model.
    Agreed I just wish he would step out of his box a little more this is fantasy he should go all out,

7. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Just for the record I dont hate Halle but IMO, Halle is beautiful but she is really just an ok actress not phenomenal. There isnt a movie in which I seen Halle pull of regal,every movie Ive seen her in its like Halle playing Halle.

8. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

The wire work in X2 is beyond executed well. You may disagree with the stylistic choice to use it, but it goes off without a hitch, unlike in X-Men or The Last Stand where the actors are noticeably jerking around midair. The Last Stand gets flack because it's the third film in the franchise, with the biggest budget, so one would think they would have the process down by then or have the money to at least ensure characters like Jean Grey can achieve a relatively simple task, like levitate off the ground, without visibly rocking back-and-forth while doing it.

9. DarthSkywalker

If it looks bad, how is that "without a hitch"?

10. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

When she came out of the elevator shaft in X1 I agree that it was shaky looking, but when she landed and started walking towards Toad with lightning and wind blaring that was like my favorite scene in the franchise.

11. DarthSkywalker

Is that down to execution or your love for Storm?

12. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Are you talking to me?

13. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

I may not prefer the stylistic choice of having Wolverine sail across the room in overly dramatic fashion, but that doesn't negate my ability to recognize that he makes it from point A to point B in a smooth and single motion, without sloppily jerking around midair.

14. DarthSkywalker

Yes.

It also doesn't negate how fake it looks.

15. I SEE SPIDEY

I'm sorry but I didn't see this "beyond well executed" wirework in X2. And I'm not even going to argue with anyone who says it was even okay in the first X-Men film, that's just ridiculous to me.

16. Crimz

Crimz Well-Known Member

Lol, i'm half expecting her to transform into wonder woman.

17. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

It was probably a mixture of both. Of course Storm is my all time favorite character but that scene to me was just epic, when she stopped and outstretched her arms breaking the windows and doors I was screaming. I thought it was executed well.

18. Lightning Strykez!

It's as much down to his "love of Storm" as your question is fueled by your dislike for her. See how that works? :cool:

19. DarthSkywalker

I don't dislike Storm. More indifferent to the character. I most definitely dislike Halle's Storm, and it is scenes like that make it so. Her acting is horrible throughout the series.

20. Crimz

Crimz Well-Known Member

I want her to die in this film, as a kind of symbol of her being replaced in upcoming movies. I don't want to suffer through another Halle Berry with Storm's powers, because she is only playing herself not Storm. I don't want her in any more movies after this.

21. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

I dont necessarily want her to die but I do agree totally with this. im hoping that DOFP she changes my opinion
    You didnt like the elevator shaft scene?

22. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

Over the top? No doubt, but that doesn't mean it isn't executed properly.

Compared to the other X-films? I did, and that's why people criticize its follow up more. Ian McKellen levitating and rotating in Cerebro? Better than Halle Berry levitating in the elevator shaft in X-Men or Jean Grey levitating in The Last Stand. There isn't a hitch in McKellen's movement. Complicated scenes like Nightcrawler jumping through the White House or Rogue being sucked out of the X-Jet? Better than almost anything else in the X-films, so much so I doubt anyone even thinks to consider those scenes when discussing the use of wire work in the franchise. Wolverine sailing across the room during his confrontation with Deathstryke? Smooth, as far as I can tell, unlike Sabretooth during his confrontation with Storm, Storm's initial flight in the Danger Room in The Last Stand, or Banshee wobbling all over the place in First Class. Though, Banshee's close up before diving into the water is superb.

:huh: I guess it's good no one is saying that then?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  23. DarthSkywalker

Nope. Looks corny, and her line delivery is bad.

24. BeholdMe

BeholdMe Storm Disciple

McKellen's movements were flawless he actually looked good doing so.

25. DarthSkywalker

How does that change how it looks? Even if you consider it executed properly, it doesn't look good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.