Can anything be done with the Fantastic Four franchise at this point?

I would like to see Marvel get FF back, and move on to the next story... I would not want to see the origin film redone (granted, it needed to be better, but I think the best move is to move forward with a better film).

Recast, put Doom on the back-burner for later rebooting of the character, get a great story about the Skrull or Molecule Man... reboot the tone of the film and the characters (no more stretchy dance... more serious attitudes for Reed and Sue, and turn to more Star Trek'ish pseudo-sci-fi-science for plots and tech devices that Reed concocts... technology was nowhere near prevalent enough for one of Marvel's biggest brains).
Putting Doom on the back-burner is just criminal. He is simply the best thing about that franchise. That's why I hated those movies so much. Doom deserves to be done right.

I'd like to see a loose adaptation of Jim Lee's Heroes Reborn series. Including the skrulls AND Doom and possibly Namor and/or SS.

Putting Doom on the back-burner is just criminal. He is simply the best thing about that franchise. That's why I hated those movies so much. Doom deserves to be done right.

Agreed.

I'd like to see a loose adaptation of Jim Lee's Heroes Reborn series. Including the skrulls AND Doom and possibly Namor and/or SS.

They could make a trilogy from that. The first film would have the Skulls. Next could be Namor and the third could be Doom revealing himself as the big bad . Each film would have loose plot threads linking them together like Iron man is doing.

I think McMahon is a pretty good actor. And showed some sparks of being capable of playing a dark character from his time on Charmed (even though it was a cheesy light show). I think Doom's failure falls on the director (or studios desire to make it popcornish). The entire 2 movies had a light feel, although 2 was better all around.

Alba was so much grittier on her TV show. When she went Hollywood she became just another pretty chick with no edge. And those blue contacts she wore was a distraction to me. I would rather see someone's with Rhona Mitra's attitude for the role.

Unfortunately, they've already committed to this fluffiness crap. I don't know how they could turn this around w/o it being obvious. Maybe a different setting. Nuke half the country, force the characters to go dark along with the environment. LOL Ok, this is an ridiculous exageration to fix the direction, but the whole "I wanna get married in peace" sub-plot was so corny.

I think McMahon is a pretty good actor. And showed some sparks of being capable of playing a dark character from his time on Charmed (even though it was a cheesy light show).
He wasn't that menacing on Charmed, either.

For Doom he doesn't fit the role at all. They needed someone like Alan Rickman.

I think Doom's failure falls on the director (or studios desire to make it popcornish). The entire 2 movies had a light feel, although 2 was better all around.

Agreed.

Alba was so much grittier on her TV show. When she went Hollywood she became just another pretty chick with no edge.

Alba wasn't that good in Dark Angel, but the character suited her more IMO.

And those blue contacts she wore was a distraction to me.

Making her look like a blonde, blue eyed woman really blew up in their faces. That's why they should have hired an actress who was the same ethnicity.

I would rather see someone's with Rhona Mitra's attitude for the role.

Mitra would be an improvement, though there are better choices.

Unfortunately, they've already committed to this fluffiness crap. I don't know how they could turn this around w/o it being obvious. Maybe a different setting. Nuke half the country, force the characters to go dark along with the environment. LOL Ok, this is an ridiculous exageration to fix the direction, but the whole "I wanna get married in peace" sub-plot was so corny.

That's why I prefer a reboot.

I agree that we really need to have a Doom done right (and Rickman is a really good suggestion)... I only say back-burner him, so that the FF story can move forward, and we have time to let the farce of the current movie-Doom fade away.

Now, just spit-balling here... as an alternative, IF... IF, Marvel where to get the property back, they could reboot Doom in an Avengers sequel (perhaps a Kang / Doom team-up...) as to separate the character from the previous incarnation, and then lead into a new FF film using Doom the right way.

I'd rather keep Doom an FF villain. It's much more personal and the drama's way better between Reed and Doom than anybody else.

I'd rather keep Doom an FF villain. It's much more personal and the drama's way better between Reed and Doom than anybody else.
I agree but at the same time, the drama between Reed and Doom revolve around "you stole my girl, jessica Alba (who is so played out to me right now)"

That's why they have to fix that. It's always been a Mozart / Salieri relationship.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Its such a shame really....I enjoyed both movies for what they were (especially ROTSS) but Marvel studios really need the rights to their first family.

Fox crapped all over the franchise, Doom especially. For all his faults Story listened to the fans and pushed for a masked Doom in ROTSS but the studio wouldnt have McMahon on screen without his mug on display.

FF needs Marvel.

That's why they have to fix that. It's always been a Mozart / Salieri relationship.
It might be too late for that if they continue. Even in the 2nd one there was a scene where I believe there was mention of the wedding or something & the camera pans to Doom to catch his reaction. :whatever:

The jealousy over a chick is already ingrained in the audience. They would have to reboot or do some serious back pedalling, like a flashback of Doom being competitive with Reed. Maybe he dated Sue to hurt Reed (just to eliminate the "I'm jealous cuz you stole my girl" crap). idk :huh:
For all his faults Story listened to the fans and pushed for a masked Doom in ROTSS but the studio wouldnt have McMahon on screen without his mug on display.
yeah, McMahone was brought in to satisfy chicks. But I love the mask too.

They definitely need to find a way to profile the backstory between the two better...

As-is, Doom doesn't even look all that smart... more like a corporate type that pilfers people's ideas. Having him as a financial backer, rather than an eccentic ruler of a seceded European city-state, was a HUGE down-grade. Then just showing him in the Latverian manor in the sequel was a weird jump.

I agree but at the same time, the drama between Reed and Doom revolve around "you stole my girl, jessica Alba (who is so played out to me right now)"
Wait. You don't want a reboot?

Reboot is the only way to go at this point. The current movie franchise is ****ed beyond repair.

Does anyone know when the rights will return to Marvel. Because ideally it would workout where the rights revert back to marvel in 4-5 years and we get a reboot, because this franchise is dead as it sits right now. But i don't know all the details of the deal with Fox so I can't say if this would ever happen.

Does anyone know when the rights will return to Marvel. Because ideally it would workout where the rights revert back to marvel in 4-5 years and we get a reboot, because this franchise is dead as it sits right now. But i don't know all the details of the deal with Fox so I can't say if this would ever happen.

It should be soon.

Fox wanted to make a Silver Surfer movie recently and I assume it was because they needed a film to continue the FF franchise within a time limit or they lose the rights.

The SS movie would be relevant since it maybe seen by Marvel as an FF film with their contract.

However, the SS movie quickly went into limbo after it was announced.

Unless things change with either an FF sequel or SS being made soon Marvel will get the rights back.

This is only speculation, of course.

Last edited:
Wait. You don't want a reboot?

Reboot is the only way to go at this point. The current movie franchise is ****ed beyond repair.
I'm actually making arguments FOR the reboot. Cuz the current story is so screwed up and it would be so hard to fix. I hate the current "Doom is jealous cuz Reed took his chick" storyline, that's why I don't like the current Reed-Doom match-up. It's lame!

A reboot is best, BUT if they don't want to wait for some years and must do part 3, then I am at a lost. :huh: I can only think to flashback and change the dynamics of Doom-Reed because it's just too dead to proceed forward with.

I'm actually making arguments FOR the reboot. Cuz the current story is so screwed up and it would be so hard to fix. I hate the current "Doom is jealous cuz Reed took his chick" storyline, that's why I don't like the current Reed-Doom match-up. It's lame!

A reboot is best, BUT if they don't want to wait for some years and must do part 3, then I am at a lost. :huh: I can only think to flashback and change the dynamics of Doom-Reed because it's just too dead to proceed forward with.
The real Reed-Doom dynamic...the one from the comics is much more of a pride/jealousy thing over scientific accomplishment. Sue had nothing to do with it. That's what they should go with.

Namor had a thing for Sue in the comic. I'd like to see a Reed and Namor fighting over Sue, and Reed and Doom fighting over science and Doom's face.

It's impossible to do what they need to do with Doom with the current franchise. So...reboot :up: I can wait.

I'll have a reboot please, heavy on the SCI Fi please.

PLEASE.

But good scifi, not lame Galactus-is-a-cloud scifi :csad:

PLEASE.

But good scifi, not lame Galactus-is-a-cloud scifi :csad:

yes and yes... all the way.

So, as people are talking about a reboot... are we talking about a redo of the origin story???

If so, then the whole thing should be recast. Even though I liked Chiklis and Evans, and Gruffold was OK, I can't see using the same actors for a redo. Plus, keep the costume for Thing, but use CG to up-size him.

^^^Definately need to make Thing more imposing, some compo for Hulk in the heavyweight division.

I'm glad no one is defending the current franchise.

And I agree with Rich, even though some of the actors weren't bad, doing a reboot with the same people is just sort of weird.

I wish we had some insiders that actually knew how close the rights are to reverting.

FOX has a firm grip on X-Men and we can expect them to keep doing spin-offs and reboots for the next couple of decades, no way around that. So hopefully their hands will be so full with the X stuff that they'll lose grip on FF, DD, and Ghost Rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"