Can anything be done with the Fantastic Four franchise at this point?

I read in a Wizard magazine that Fox owns the Xmen film rights permanently.

Is this true?

I think Fantastic Four basically has to go the way of Daredevil for now. Hibernation.

And right now, I think it's for the best. Let's see what Marvel can do with their stuff and maybe we can see a revival somewhere down the line.

Studios also want to spend a lot less money right now with the economy. We will still see the blockbusters, but less of them. Fantastic Four with its business probably isn't on the Fox radar at the moment.

I think most people were right when they thought Tim Story was the wrong choice as the director and people who expressed that were called racist.

......Were you called Racist for expressing that Story was wrong for Fantastic Four?

No I wasn't, but it did happen at the time.

I was annoyed with his arrogance about The Incredibles though, that kind of drove it home for me.

There was an interview before FF came out. The interviewer asked him about The Incredibles, and he was kind of boastful about how he was telling his nieces or something that he made the original version that's going to be better.

What was funny though was the supporters at the time were going along with that logic and making Incredibles to be like a plague on the FF movie :D .

There was an interview before FF came out. The interviewer asked him about The Incredibles, and he was kind of boastful about how he was telling his nieces or something that he made the original version that's going to be better.

What was funny though was the supporters at the time were going along with that logic and making Incredibles to be like a plague on the FF movie :D .
LOL :woot:

I don't know if anything can be done with the FF at this point, perhaps a few years from now or maybe even more than that.
But I can say how I think it should be done.
You know those old 50s styled space adventure shows and movies, the ones that are sort of cheesy? Or even a show like Lost in Space,
give the movie that kind of feel, a space adventure family feel. Just give them more depth and dimension to the story and the characters. I would give them the far out space suits, like in those movies, the radical and sometimes rediculous science and explanations, and the fun adventure feel.
And a nostalgic feel. (forgive me for my writing if it sounds like rambling, its just a stream of thought)
It could be set in the present, but give the FF a wholesome family feel to them. I am not sure I am getting my idea across, let me know if I need to explain myself better.

Oh, also, make Dr. Doom like his comic persona.
Wearing a suit of armor, ruler of Latvaria or however its spelled, and so on.

Basically just try to transfer the original Kirby/Lee comic to the films.

Last edited:
Above it was suggested that the FF go the way of DareDevil, but a recent article said Fox was taking another look at ALL their super hero properties - including DareDevil - for future films; so it stands to reason that they would also be looking at the FF.

As I understood their deal with Marvel, Fox has until 2012 to release a third FF movie. If they do, then Fox gets the rights extended [if they want]; it they don't then the rights go back to Marvel.

I personally think they screwed the casting from the start, Chiklis and Evans were spot on but Guffold, Alba and McMahon were so terrible. Even if the crap stories could be fixed the fact that the most important characters are miscast just kills it for me.

Tate Donovan = Reed

theoc_tate.jpg

Alice Evans = Sue

alice-evans.jpg

And I really dig the idea as Alan Rickman as Doom

300_133640.jpg

I actually think Alan Rickman could do Doom. How old is he though?

He'd be in costume most of the time... and Doom is not really a physical character.

But, I suppose, should there be scenes out of costume (if it were an origin movie... or they had flashbacks to the school days) the age disaparity between him and whomever plays Reed, would be stark.

Last edited:
I think Rickman is in his early 60's at the moment.

He'd be in costume most of the time... and Doom is not really a physical character.

But, I suppose, should there be scenes out of costume (if it were an origin movie... or they had flashbacks to the school days) the age disaparity between him and whomever plays Reed, would be stark.
They can just do a Darth Vader. A stunt guy doing physical scenes with Rickman as the voice-over.

Last edited:
I like Tate Donovan. Good choice. I never would have thought it.

Here's my FF cast from back in the day:

Reed:
Scott Bakula
Sue: Kristy Swanson
Johnny: Paul Walker
Doom: Alan Rickman

I never really settled on a Ben.

I don't know if anything can be done with the FF at this point, perhaps a few years from now or maybe even more than that.
But I can say how I think it should be done.
You know those old 50s styled space adventure shows and movies, the ones that are sort of cheesy? Or even a show like Lost in Space,
give the movie that kind of feel, a space adventure family feel. Just give them more depth and dimension to the story and the characters. I would give them the far out space suits, like in those movies, the radical and sometimes rediculous science and explanations, and the fun adventure feel.
And a nostalgic feel. (forgive me for my writing if it sounds like rambling, its just a stream of thought)
It could be set in the present, but give the FF a wholesome family feel to them. I am not sure I am getting my idea across, let me know if I need to explain myself better.

Oh, also, make Dr. Doom like his comic persona.
Wearing a suit of armor, ruler of Latvaria or however its spelled, and so on.

Basically just try to transfer the original Kirby/Lee comic to the films.

Peyton Reed wanted to do something like this in his FF film. Kerry Conrad could write or direct this type of film.

Last edited:
I say... add Franklin Richards in there as well.
Well Franklin Richards was introduced during Kirby and Lee's original run, FF Anual #6.
So I think it would be fitting to introduce a character they intended from their run. Plus it makes sense to me.

The fantastic four movies had a cast with talent( you gotta admit, everyone acted the part of these characters). The problem was they got a crappy director and half assed scripts. You get a director and a script that give the film credibility and you could have gold. You cant just endanger the world and throw superheroes at it. You gotta make the threat meaningful and have the audience feel like it was someone more then powers that saved the day. Ie a good superhero film has it where the Hero could beat the bad guy but not truely win(Like the Dark knight, Batman beats the joker but friends were lost and he doesnt get to ride off into the sunset with the gal).

No they didn't. Gruffud was a bad uninspired Richards. Alba was completely miscast as Sue.

I really never liked Evans Johnny. Mackey as Thing, OK I guess but it just wasn't enough.

I could live with a sequel if Alba is out and a new director is in. The other three should be back unless they reboot. Fox needs to think long and hard about what they want to do... especially if Wolverine underperforms. More likely I see them just jumping straight to X-Men: First Class rather than picking this up again.

I posted this over in the FF origin reboot thread:

My updated reboot:

I may or may not include 10-15 mins of Reed and Victor in college. This period would end with Victor leaving the school after his accident. I may save this scene for film 2.

Anyways, a strange anomoly is occuring in our Solar system, so Reed decides to investigate it with his team consisting of Ben, Sue, and Johnny. Anyways, things go awry, and they land the craft in a strange foreign nation. They get approached by officers asking for ID papers. They end up fighting this army, and discover they have powers (with Ben changing mid-battle). They get noticed by a rebel officer. They are then identified as enemies of the state in what turns out to be Latveria. They are then housed and protected by rebel leader, Victor Von Doom. He sees what they can do, and decided that he can help them in defeating the current ruler of Latveria and help Doom assume power. The mean ruler I plan on being the Wizard. The Wizard has 3 generals in his army that are the result of science experiments (thus, the Frightful Four). Anyways, Reed helps them defeat Wizard and company. The Wizards fighting technology is taken by Doom. This comes into play in the sequel.

In the sequel, the FF are now an established group of superheroes and have a celebrity status. Everyone loves them. Doom will have established a rapidly growing nation under his rule, and one that doesn't allow outsiders (while he fixes the nation is his excuse). Secretly, he expanded Wizards technology to create an ultimate battlesuit that makes him a match for the FF by himself. He also has secret factories that create his robot guards, or Doombots, which establish law and order in Latveria. In this film, Doom would seek to expand Latveria and almost start another World War, so he can establish a utopia as he sees Latveria elsewhere in the world. Once Reed discovers the true Latveria and sees what Doom really is, the FF stand in his way.

This is my rough idea of what I would do with the Fantastic Four. I think a reboot is necessary, but years down the line.

I was also thinking a 3rd movie could have the anamoly be caused by Galactus, as explained by the Watcher when he arrives on Earth in similar fashion to the story in the comic. My film would be similar, but instead of Galactus being beaten by the ultimate nullifyer, Reed should convert Earth's engery somehow to something that poisons Galactus instead, and as Galactus is dying, the Watcher and Reed discuss why the universe needs him, gets a new Herald whom takes him to a planet that satisfies his hunger, and the Surfer is banished to Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"