• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Can we assume origin/Superman Begins type film now?

Can you imagine a Superman that does take the best bits of all those movies? The style of total reinvention from BB, the intelligence and symbolism of TDK, the humour and 'cool' factor of Iron Man plus the modern storyline relevance, and the effects/fight scenes of Spider-man.

OMG Yes!

:up:

So do you guys think that we'll open up with Krypton like the Donner film did and spend some time there before we get to Earth?

IF not, how do you guys see them showing Krypton in the context of the story?

I'm 23, didn't see them until I was 20, and none of my friends have seen them at all.

Yeah, you're the next gen, I guess...

I'm not so surprised that the younger generation isn't seeing these movies, especially without me there to make them watch them... ;)

It was the 40 comment that got my goat. There's no way someone 40- or + doesn't know about the Superman movies...

BTW, Give your parents a nice swift kick in the ass for not showing you them earlier:woot:

Were you ever in Boy Scouts? Serious question

Cause I neglected to mention, all of my buddies (including the one Eagle scout, which I never attained) were always very well aware of Superman and his film exploits, whether or not it was a source of ridicule (watching III and IV)... But acknowledgment, nonetheless...

I have a few eagle scout friends that act a lot like superman, but they're unfamiliar with them lol.

I'm 23 and I saw the Donner movies when I was 6. Let's just say I liked them more back then.

Eagle Scout actually

why do you ask?

And I think you either have some D-bag friends, or you're all in Superman denial....

There's no way that you, and your friends, never saw any Superman movie til three years ago...

And if so, your spending your time on these message boards sounds completely ridiculous...

All my friends who are not comic book fans catched the movie on tv once in a while but never bothered watching it. They think it is too dated and that it sucks.

Im 28 and ive never met a Superman fan outside this board besides my roomate and he likes the movie but hasnt seen it in a LONG time and doesnt remember much about it. He is more of a Batman fan and even today he thinks the Joker killed Bruce Wayne's parents because Batman 89 is one of his favorite movies ever. He hasnt seen Dark Knight.

Last edited:
Then you've got some bad friends... My friends thought the same thing, but I( made them watch it and understand why it's so good... Most of them came through...

Nope. Just dont think the Donner movies hold up, honestly. I really think they are dated. It takes a special person to like Superman these days.

I have a friend that likes Smallville and that's about it. He can't stand the old movies because they're too old and the special effects suck. I made them watch the newer restored version of STM once and they like it more but still think its not that good. But guess what? They hated Superman Returns even more.

Superman is not a popular character these days. It is sad but true.

not really a fan of the donner movies.

I like the clark/lois/superman dynamic in it, but not much else.

So do you guys think that we'll open up with Krypton like the Donner film did and spend some time there before we get to Earth?

IF not, how do you guys see them showing Krypton in the context of the story?

I think we will get the Batman Begins kind of structure, where the focus will be on Clark and then we get flashbacks to emphasise certain story points and characters. Zod could explain who he is to Clark or another character, where we do see his time on Krypton.

hmm, I wonder if clark will discover his background through the kents showing him his ship, or through zod.

I actually like Lois & Clark much more than STM. At least season 1 and 2. That was the time i really got into Superman. It was basically because of Teri Hatcher. I was also in love in highschool with this girl that looked like her and it made everything more intense.

And I think a lot of Smallville too is better than the Donner movies.

Just to chime in, when I was growing up post batman 89 the superman movies were known as silly and I never bothered watching them, when I did I couldnt be bothered as I was a bigger batman fan. It just goes to show that sometimes its not held so dearly to every, for those that hold it to that high a standard, thats great, its just not everyones cup of tea. I also noticed the comment about how not everyone watched STAS, although a great show, it only lasted for 3 seasons, not every kid is into superheroes. Especially at that time there were so many things on tv. So its a bit naive to think everyone knows the origin when most of the superman tv shows are really for a niche market, namely fans. The most widespread hit was probably lois and clark which started out with strong ratings that people remember.

All my friends maybe catched the movie on tv once in a while but never bothered watching it. They think it is too dated and that it sucks.

I would agree with the dated part but the word suck should only be used for Superman II, III, and IV.

They cant stand old movies. In fact, the only "old" movies they like are the first Star Wars trilogy and the first Indiana Jones trilogy because i made them watch it. They're not movie fans these days. Not as I am, that is for sure.

For example, Terminator 2 is a movie that is on TV regularly back home and they always watch the whole movie easily and think it is awesome. And so do I.

Nope. Just dont think the Donner movies hold up, honestly. I really think they are dated. It takes a special person to like Superman these days.

I have a friend that likes Smallville and that's about it. He can't stand the old movies because they're too old and the special effects suck. I made them watch the newer restored version of STM once and they like it more but still think its not that good. But guess what? They hated Superman Returns even more.

Superman is not a popular character these days. It is sad but true.

Yeah... it's true...

I guess nostalgia can only take you so far...

May I ask what your friends thought of the CGI flying sequences in Superman Returns? Did they think those looked better/more realistic than the old Reeve flight scenes?

Are your friends even the type of people that would be interested in a new Supes movie?

I would agree with the dated part but the word suck should only be used for Superman II, III, and IV.

I haven't seen them in a while, but all 4 seem to have more or less the same tone, the only saving grace for the first movie is the first half hour, but more or less they seem like closely related sequels.

Just to chime in, when I was growing up post batman 89 the superman movies were known as silly and I never bothered watching them, when I did I couldnt be bothered as I was a bigger batman fan. It just goes to show that sometimes its not held so dearly to every, for those that hold it to that high a standard, thats great, its just not everyones cup of tea. I also noticed the comment about how not everyone watched STAS, although a great show, it only lasted for 3 seasons, not every kid is into superheroes. Especially at that time there were so many things on tv. So its a bit naive to think everyone knows the origin when most of the superman tv shows are really for a niche market, namely fans. The most widespread hit was probably lois and clark which started out with strong ratings that people remember.

How old are you? Just curious, it's kind of becoming a topic on this thread...

Maybe you should be somewhere else then...

I'll let you know when I release my S:III cut without all of the cheese, and I guarantee you'll love it...

Yeah... it's true...

I guess nostalgia can only take you so far...

May I ask what your friends thought of the CGI flying sequences in Superman Returns? Did they think those looked better/more realistic than the old Reeve flight scenes?

Are your friends even the type of people that would be interested in a new Supes movie?
They think SR is even worse. They compare Superman with other heroes that suceeded like Iron man and Batman because of that movie. They dont understand how I can like Superman.

It was a funny experience because I convinced a lot of my friends to go watch SR because i thought it was going to blow people away and show who's the boss of the superheroes. That never happened. Imagine my face when I left the theaters :(

I haven't seen them in a while, but all 4 seem to have more or less the same tone, the only saving grace for the first movie is the first half hour, but more or less they seem like closely related sequels.

Good god, get over yourself....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"