Captain America: Super Soldier

dtud

Civilian
Reaction score
So Sega revealed a new Captain America game today.

SEGA announced it will be release Captain America: Super Soldier, based on an original story set in World War II, next year for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Nintendo DS, and PSP.

"Videogame players the world over can now become Marvel's iconic Super Hero Captain America," said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing at SEGA Europe and SEGA America.

"Captain America: Super Soldier puts players in the boots of the ultimate Super-Soldier, wielding Captain America's legendary shield. Working closely with Marvel ensures we're delivering the caliber product that gamers and comic fans deserve and it's a partnership we're proud of here at SEGA."

The game's story is being penned by Christos Gage, who wrote Marvel's "Avengers: The Initiative" comic series. Captain America: Super Soldier is not tied to the upcoming film, however, but is set in the same world where he will face off against many known villains, including Iron Cross, Hydra, Arnim Zola, and Red Skull.

Captain America: Super Soldier is set for release in 2011.

Read more: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1125597p1.html#ixzz11WLb93H2
captain-america-super-soldier-20101005000419797_640w.jpg

captain-america-super-soldier-20101005000425875_640w.jpg

Considering Sega's history with Marvel property (Iron Man games) this game has the potential to suck all kinds of ways.

Next Level Games seems to be the developer and atleast they doesn't suck monkeyballs. :up:

I love Sega and Captain America, but their Iron Man games were terrible. I hear that their TIH game was bad too. I don't get how a great game company such as Sega could make such crappy games like Iron Man 1 and 2. Maybe it's the movie based game curse. The fact that this game isn't based on the Cap movie next year gives it a fighting chance.

Considering Sega's history with Marvel property (Iron Man games) this game has the potential to suck all kinds of ways.

Next Level Games seems to be the developer and atleast they doesn't suck monkeyballs. :up:

It's not Sega, it's movie property games as a whole, sure you'll get a great one every now and then, but for the most part they suck. This will be no different, because it's following the same path as every other movie adaptation, rushed through production to release with the movie. Don't understand why Sega's now the whipping boy, it's far from the only developer doing this.

Maybe if we're lucky they've been working on this for a while.

It's not Sega, it's movie property games as a whole, sure you'll get a great one every now and then, but for the most part they suck. This will be no different, because it's following the same path as every other movie adaptation, rushed through production to release with the movie. Don't understand why Sega's now the whipping boy, it's far from the only developer doing this.

Well I know Sega isn't the only company putting out bad movie games but they have really fallen from grace. I.E. Sonic and Nights, two of the most cherished gaming franshises in the old days, now each new iteration is met with sub-par reviews.

Now you can't take away from Sega that they have made great games and to some extent continues to do so today. (Yakuza, Bayonetta.) But at the same time you can't say that it's not Sega's fault the games suck.

EDIT: Okay so there was already a thread about this in the Captain America section. Someone should merge these or delete this one.

Here's a link to the other one http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=342496

Last edited:

captain-america-super-soldier-20101005000419797_640w.jpg

captain-america-super-soldier-20101005000425875_640w.jpg

uh oh...that looks fun.

Apocalypse.

I don't like this, they say it isn't tied into the movie.. however it will somehow tie into the release of the movie no doubt meaning it is technically still linked/tied to it.

It will be a rushed game that will surely disappoint just like every single other game that is somehow connected/tied into a movie has been.. bar perhaps maybe a few of the Spiderman games.

I'll wait to read reviews before deciding whether or not to pick this up..

I don't like this, they say it isn't tied into the movie.. however it will somehow tie into the release of the movie no doubt meaning it is technically still linked/tied to it.

It will be a rushed game that will surely disappoint just like every single other game that is somehow connected/tied into a movie has been.. bar perhaps maybe a few of the Spiderman games.

I'll wait to read reviews before deciding whether or not to pick this up..

I thought the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game was actually better than the film. As far as Captain America being associated with Sega and their track record as of recent (Marvel heroes in this case), it doesn't look too good. The screenshots look ok to say the least, but I have a feeling the gameplay is gonna be nothing more than button mashing. As for the puzzles that they stated would be in the game, they will more than likely be simplistic or downright obvious to figure out.

I thought the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game was actually better than the film. As far as Captain America being associated with Sega and their track record as of recent (Marvel heroes in this case), it doesn't look too good. The screenshots look ok to say the least, but I have a feeling the gameplay is gonna be nothing more than button mashing. As for the puzzles that they stated would be in the game, they will more than likely be simplistic or downright obvious to figure out.

This isn't really saying much though is it.. the film was pretty weak. :O

No really wit aside, I thought the game was very weak.. as weak as the film. Story was weak from what I recall of it, the fighting seemed inspired by other games of a similar genre/setting & it was also down right too easy.
The best part about it was how brutal it was to a degree.

Well, they actually started the game before Iron Man 2 started filming.

...........how do you get a headstart making a game before a film comes out and the game itself looks bland and unfinished. :cmad:

This isn't really saying much though is it.. the film was pretty weak. :O

No really wit aside, I thought the game was very weak.. as weak as the film. Story was weak from what I recall of it, the fighting seemed inspired by other games of a similar genre/setting & it was also down right too easy.
The best part about it was how brutal it was to a degree.

Fair enough, the film was pretty bad, i agree. Even though the fighting was inspired by other games, it was still playable. Sega's Marvel games are hard for me to sit through because everything looks so mediocre, it's like their attitude was like "we dont give a **** about making it look good, so you really shouldnt give a **** to play it."

Yeah, Wolverine was being worked on before it was a tie-in. In fact, the tie-in bits were the worst part of that whole game.

For most other tie-in games, it doesn't matter if they start making the game before they start filming, the time frame for a film is drastically different for the time frame to make a game (if you want good quality, anyway).

Also, just wait for people to start complaining that the movie Cap doesn't have that costume lol. "See?!? HE has red leather boots!"

It's gonna suck. Ironman 1 sucked. Ironman 2 sucked even worse, even though they promised to fix a lot of things. The Incredible Hulk was only playable because it was based on Ultimate Destruction. And now Thor and Captain America are going to suck. Then we will get the Avengers game which will undoubtedly suck as well.

Sega's last 2 movie games sucked. I think people were just hoping for a different developer so that there would at least be some hope that this would be good. It seems as if its automatically doomed to fail now. I hope it turns out amazing but Sega doesnt really bring much confidence. Those screeens at least look good from a visual standpoint

There are two more screens if you click the link in case anyone didn't know.

Anyway to me the graphics looks kinda bland, now graphics doesn't make or break a game but if they're uninspired the rest of the game usually tends to be so aswell. Well they say it isn't a movie tie-in but still is in the same universe. Best case scenario we get something akin to The Punisher from 2005. A game that had some basic ties to the movie but still very much felt like a comic book game. The old Hulk from 2003 was also kinda like that.

The game I think about when I hear the description about this one being in one big castle is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. And there are worse game to copy from. The first screen I posted looks kinda like it, if you look you can see you are supposed to swing from pole to pole 'til you reach the guard.

After two crappy Iron Man games, it's a wonder why Marvel keeps letting Sega make games based on their superheroes. I hope the contract with Sega will expire soon.

So yea, this will probably be horrible.

But to be honest...I kind of liked Iron Man: The Game. :p

Never played IM2 though.

Sega's last 2 movie games sucked. I think people were just hoping for a different developer so that there would at least be some hope that this would be good. It seems as if its automatically doomed to fail now. I hope it turns out amazing but Sega doesnt really bring much confidence. Those screeens at least look good from a visual standpoint

Yeah, maybe they should've handed the reigns over to Activision or 2K because they made awesome Fantastic Four tie-in games.

uh oh...that looks fun.

Apocalypse.

Screenshots make it look fun? Lol.

I have some hope with this game, for instance, it not really tying into the film(which was Wolverine's mistake) and the fact that they seem to have someone who understands the concept of Captain America writing the game's story/script.

It could be enjoyable, but only time will tell. After Web of Shadows, it's definitely possible that a game could look amazing and still suck.

I would have prefered the game to play similar to Dark Sector, maybe a little bit more faster paced, possibly have an aftertouch like mechanic that lets you control the shield once it's thrown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"