First Avenger Captain America's Costume - P - Part 2

Jak said:
Ugh, you think Snyder is all style and no substance...

For the most part. I think he's a capable director but I think he has real trouble conveying the meaning of source material with any subtlety. He essentially just reproduces stuff onto the screen but he doesn't seem to be good at putting things through filters or processing it appropriately.

I enjoyed Watchmen, but there were so many scenes that could have cut shots out, been more heavily edited or lines shortened to actually give things MORE impact, make the pacing feel tighter. As a result, it just makes his films feel too heavy handed.

He isn't subtle, but I don't see that as lacking substance. Alan Moore isn't a subtle writer either. Christopher Nolan isn't a subtle director. Nor is Steven Spielberg. But they have tons of substance.

His Watchmen was a little too faithful for it's own good but it demonstrated that he could handle the depth of the source material.

Only because he adapted it so closely. The original source material did most of that work.

Only because he adapted it so closely. The original source material did most of that work.
See, I'm not convinced by that argument, otherwise we wouldn't be praising Peter Jackson for The Lord Of The Rings.

I mean, just look at DC's DTV animated movies as proof that sticking to the source material doesn't do most of the work.

I'm not saying that applies to everything, just that Watchmen was such a powerful graphic novel, if it was adapted faithfully at all, some of the power of those words will transfer across. All the weaknesses of that film were things that didn't apply to the comic and only the film, like length of dialogue scenes and depiction of action and violence. Also, pacing, one of the most important things in any film, he completely ignored it

Well, his interpretation of the source material differed from mine, and I could see his own personal touch through the film, so to me that's proof it wasn't all down to the source material. There's a lot to the film that people don't really notice. The ending is more of a commentary on nuclear warfare than the novel, for example, and a lot of people who complain about it don't see that.

I loved Watchmen. I seem to be in the minority though.

Snyder definitely has a style, but I don't think he lacks substance.

But the politics of it were so shallow as well. Because he was so faithful, it was essentially a commentary on cold war politics, which is a very different political landscape to what we are in now. The only similarities were of the most broad kind, with America being in disollusionment. If he truly had a vision, the current world would have been more present, like how V for Vendetta was adapted. That film showed loads more substance and depth from the film maker specifically than Watchmen did. I love many things about Watchmen, but I think as a 'film' it fails in many different ways. It gets by because the story is so damn cool, but the way it is told, i.e. the directors job, is definitely not in a way that it SHOULD have been told, which to me, shows a misunderstanding of either the source material or how to convey meaning and substance. Film is a complex medium, you've got to do more than show a close-up on a characters and just rely on the words.

The fact that it was such a faithful adaption is something I like about it. I understand it doesn't make it GA friendly and is a big reason its considered a failure but i'm glad he didn't change it to much. Where he did I liked it better. I think he improved upon the ending. Overall I think the material speaks for itself, there wasn't much tinkering needed. Its not perfect but I really liked it.

I can totally understand how Snyder is not someones cup of tea though. I've liked nearly everything he's done but he's one of those directors like Tim Burton who has a "Style" to his films thats usually easy to spot. Not everyones going to like it.

I like most of his films too, he just isn't a perfect director. I think he can make beautiful looking films but he's too heavy handed and lacks subtlety. If he ever wants to be a truly great director he needs to learn to say alot with a little, not the other way around.

He's like one half of a Nolan. Nolan's films look great and he is an expert of managing time perfectly, utilising the most from an actor from just the smallest scene. You watch one of his films and time the average length of one of his scenes between characters and compare that to 300 or Watchmen. Snyders faults as a director seem really stark and obvious.

cap01.jpg

Oooooooooooooh, pretty.

What were we talking about again?

I like most of his films too, he just isn't a perfect director. I think he can make beautiful looking films but he's too heavy handed and lacks subtlety. If he ever wants to be a truly great director he needs to learn to say alot with a little, not the other way around.

He's like one half of a Nolan. Nolan's films look great and he is an expert of managing time perfectly, utilising the most from an actor from just the smallest scene. You watch one of his films and time the average length of one of his scenes between characters and compare that to 300 or Watchmen. Snyders faults as a director seem really stark and obvious.

I do get what your saying. I would agree he's not one of the better "depth" directors. I just think he does well enough, combined with his overall product, that he still produces quality stuff and its not lacking enough that it bothers me.

Snyder has kind of stuck to "niche" films. Maybe he needs to try his hand at some different sorts of films to get a better feel for it.

Oooooooooooooh, pretty.

What were we talking about again?

You know, I haven't heard anyone complain about the "Future Buckle" in a while. I still don't get the complaint. Its very clear on that pic is why I mention it.

Future buckles?

There was some complaining when the first pics came out that his belt buckle looked to "futuristic" while nitpicking the suit. I still don't see the problem but some did.

:huh:

WildcatNC said:
There was some complaining when the first pics came out that his belt buckle looked to "futuristic" while nitpicking the suit. I still don't see the problem but some did.

Hahahahahaha. Seriously?

I think I can make the ENORMOUS stretch to believe that Howard Stark has a designed a front clasping belt like that :p

JAK®;19767631 said:
He isn't subtle, but I don't see that as lacking substance. Alan Moore isn't a subtle writer either. Christopher Nolan isn't a subtle director. Nor is Steven Spielberg. But they have tons of substance.

His Watchmen was a little too faithful for it's own good but it demonstrated that he could handle the depth of the source material.

You're kidding me: Moore isn't subtle?

Moore is so subtle that Snyder has made a poor straight forward movie outta Watchmen without even noticing there was anything else behind that.

Watchmen wasn't faithful at all because of it: whenever you find a subtlety in Moore's text, you get a literal interpretation by overclumsy Snyder.

The visuals are exact, but that's all.

Last edited:
Oh my god, mercurius agrees with me about something! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You're kidding me: Moore isn't subtle?

Moore is so subtle that Snyder has made a poor straight forward movie outta Watchmen without even noticing there was anything else behind that.

Watchmen wasn't faithful at all because of it: whenever you find a subtlety in Moore's text, you get a literal interpretation by overclumsy Snyder.

The visuals are exact, but that's all.
quoted for truth.
Watchmen the Movie didn't get at all was the GN was about. The subtext of Moores original work is what made the comic interesting.

Oh my god, mercurius agrees with me about something! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Truly sorry for you, dear Wolvie, cause Gawd knows how I do not want my smart, convoluted ideas to be accepted so easily by the populace, but I can't defend Watchmen the movie. :woot:

Did anyone see the progress pics of the Capt Movie Shield I am working on? I posted it just before the thread switch. Curious of your thoughts. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"