Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 3

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

It is not the points, it is the overall character motivation I think is sort of ruined, so I am just gonna agree to disagree here.

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Maybe daddy has been acting weird since he found out Lil' Betty is green like her ex-boyfriend.

4. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

If they needed to have an in-story reason for some of the heroes like Tony or Steve not showing up (or being regulated to small cameos) this would be an interesting way to go.

#929 Venom 1988, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  5. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Its been mine ever since they revealed the Skrulls as being a thing. Though I don't think Ross himself is a Skrull; I'd expect an actual Skrull spy to be more effective. Miriam Sharpe, though? Definitely a Skrull.

6. KevTravels

KevTravels Registered

For those of us (like myself) who only knows Captain Marvel from the most basic, what can you guys tell us? what makes her so great or special? does she have the potential to be like a WW for mainstream audiences?

7. flickchick85

If WW is the mythic, larger-than-life powerhouse heroine, then Captain Marvel is the blue collar, relatable one. They will be very different movies, but I think they can appeal to the GA on equal levels. Carol's a snarky military girl from Boston who has a crappy relationship with her family and is secretly a a big ol' nerd underneath all the bravado. She just happens to inherit god-like powers that allow her to fly through suns, shatter moons and take on entire space armadas single-handedly.

8. legendkillin

legendkillin Registered

I thought Betty was a possibility but i believe Marvel has moved on from the character. Banner has clearly moved on to Widow and Hulk probably gets lovin as a champ on Sakaar. Ross didn't even mention her, I think most of the GA don't care either.

9. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I was just being silly, buy yes it does look like Marvel might have moved on. :csad: Especially while Hulk solos aren't looking likely.

10. Speed Force

Speed Force Goober

:up:

On another note, I wonder if Brie will have a slight Boston accent like Tom had a bit of a Queens accent in Spider-Man

11. flickchick85

I find Boston accents to be hella distracting, so if she does I hope they keep it very light, lol.

The little teaser video announcing Ant-Man & The Wasp starting production got me all excited only because I realized that the next time we'll get one of those for a Marvel film going into production, it will be for Captain Marvel. :woot:

12. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I have a bit of a bias because I'm basing this on personal experience with my own family, but my Dad is from Boston and has no discernable local accent while my Grandfather has one of the strongest Boston accents imaginable.

My preference would be to give Carol's parents a Boston accent, but not her. Either she never had one (it's a declining accent and most people get their accent from their peers not their parents) or she consciously lost it when she went into the Air Force.

13. MbJ

MbJ Registered

14. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

So, Carol will be immortal? Cool. I wonder how they will make the original costume work. Wasn't it in one of the concept arts?

15. Zarex

Zarex Registered

It's much more noticeable in the white working class "Southie types" that are overrepresented in films featuring your Afflecks, Wahlbergs and Damons. I had a strong accent growing up - I grew up just outside of Boston - but after being asked to say lots of words with "Rs" over and over during my college orientation I tried very hard to get rid of it.

It makes sense that a person matriculating in Colorado would make a conscious effort to drop the accent, but I'd love to hear Brie whip it out when gabbing with the family. Something like the scene from the Heat would be nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgF0f5huY8M

#940 Zarex, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  16. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

[​IMG]

This one? The picture is blurry but yep, that's not her modern costume.

EDIT: You know, after taking a better look at the picture... nah, I'm wrong. That is her modern costume. Nevermind.

#941 Abudefduf, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  17. Nathan_Koren

Nathan_Koren All shall love me and despair they will!

This movie is getting more and more interesting the more details are being released. Cool. :D

18. Speed Force

Speed Force Goober

I always felt like Boston accents in movies were overdone but it could be interesting and add a little flavor to the character in a way.

I'd be fine with it either way, to be honest :up:

19. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I don't want them to forget that she's from Boston. The details matter less after that.

20. flickchick85

Brie has started doing interviews for The Glass Castle, so hopefully we can get some new CM talk. Though if these two are any indication, it'll mostly just be question dodging:

Maybe some interviewers will ask her about something other than the costume. But I will point out that her hair at the moment is approximately the same length as it appears in the concept art. :sly:

21. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Hey you know how Tony had Happy Hogan and Peter had Ganke/Ned? Who will be Carol's comedic foil?

Jess could be a friend but let's be honest you don't really associate her with humour. I'm still hoping they add elements of Sword to expand the universe and include Sydren

22. Nathan_Koren

I started reading ultimates : Thor Reborn. It has some interesting things in it when it comes to the characters. Tony and Carol have a love hate thing going on while Barton freaking hates Danvers guts.

Interesting stuff. Love reading it.

23. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Wait, which "Jess" are we taking about? Because if it's Jessica Drew then yeah, personally I do tend to associate her with humour. :hehe:
    I mean not that it matters, since Marvel Studios would probably turn her into yet another humorless female character to add to their growing collection, but still.

Also let's not forget that this movie is a prequel set at least two decades before the events of IW so it wouldn't exactly be the best place to introduce the character.

24. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Registered

Jess Drew is actually pretty damn funny. But she can also be pretty heartbreaking. It's why I love her.

Yeah if Captain Marvel is taking place in the 90s I'm not sure that would be a good time to introduce her, but they could make a it work. I have faith in in Marvel.

Jess and Carol are like peanut butter and chocolate. They belong together and I'll be so disappointed if I don't see that friendship on screen.

25. Nathan_Koren

That would be a very interesting dynamic to see onscreen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.