Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 3

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PyroChamber

PyroChamber Not lactose, it's milk!

Well one thing's for sure, this 90's setting has given them a somewhat easy way to introduce Kamala.

2. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I'm fine with them coming into contact with each other. I just wouldn't go beyond that.

3. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Just read a Cinemablend article that pointed out a pretty cool thing. Remember the original Iron Man post credits scene? Rhetorical question.

Well, we now know who Fury was probably thinking of when he said that. I mean, I guess you could argue that he was talking about the original Ant-Man and Wasp or Cap, but it's far more likely that it was a reference to Carol I think.

Nope, apparently both studios do. I've only recently learned this, too. :hehe:

4. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I would think it's likely that they didn't even know that there would be a CM at that point. Maybe that's true for AM too. It might have been a reference to Cap, Hulk, or even Black Widow or, and I'm not sure about the timeline, but they might have been aware of Thor's hammer being on earth (though I don't think they had found it at that point in time). SHIELD has ways of knowing that "stuff" is out there.

I think it's more likely that he was referring to his intention of assembling the Avengers rather than knowing what was going to be going on in phase 3.

Bottom line is that CM being put in the 90's fits right in so it's all good.

5. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh right, thanks. That's great! Marvel better use them well before Fox get their hands on them!

6. Jedi Arrow

Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

With the introduction of the Skrulls, I'd love for them to do the storyline from "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" (at least that's where I know it from) where Captain America is replaced by a Skrull and imprisoned aboard their spaceship. Chris Evans acting as a Skrull acting as Captain America would be amazing–and it would give Cap a new story arc, as he has to escape the Skrull vessel. Maybe it could happen in Avengers 4's stinger, and lead into, say, Captain Marvel 2 or a Captain America 4. And then that would give them an excuse to replace Steve with Bucky or Sam. "Cap" is revealed as a Skrull, so no one trusts him, even when the real Steve Rogers finally returns to Earth. He then hands over the mantle to Bucky or Sam.

Of course, that'll never happen. But a guy can dream.

7. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Just to clarify the timeline, Thor's hammer would not have been on Earth at the time of the post credit in Iron Man. It doesn't get sent to Earth/Thor doesn't get banished until the events of Iron Man 2 are already underway (it's IM2 (and Incredible Hulk) that take place during the same time frame (roughly the same week) as the first Thor movie). Hope that helps :)

8. javonstokess

javonstokess Registered

Couple of things I'd love to see in the Capt. Marvel movie:

Appearance by SHIELD agents that might have been active in the 90's (Fury, Coulson, Peggy, Sitwell).

It'd be a great way of connecting the movie to later ones.

9. Scarecrow_King

Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

I just realized I'm a little wary of a Skrull invasion story line. It seems a little redundant with the Hydra invasion plot. The whole "are they really who they say they are" thing was done not very long ago.

Different flavors, sure. But the heart of the story is still pretty similar.

10. Flemm

Flemm Registered

Do we have any reason to believe a Secret Invasion type of plot is incoming?

The Kree-Skrull War is a different type of story entirely, and seems more likely as an immediate thing.

11. Scarecrow_King

Nothing concrete. Just speculation and some comments by Feige that seem to point that direction.

12. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I think it's the fact that Secret Invasion is set after the Kree-Skrull War and they just happen to be setting the Kree-Skrull war 20+ years in the past that's fueling this speculation. So we're not talking about it for Captain Marvel so much as we're talking about it for Phase 4. Because it's like they're intentionally giving the Skrulls the time necessary to have assimilated into our society, BEFORE we met most of the characters we know in the MCU, which means some could've been Skrulls all along.

13. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Secret Invasion for Avengers 5 is a good idea. For Avengers 4, bad idea. It should focus on Thanos and tying a bow on what we have been building to since 2008, not overcomplicating the plot by adding Skrulls. As a plot point for future films I welcome it, it just would be out of place in the Thanos story.

Also Secret Invasion needs handled carefully. Let's say it was revealed that after Iron Man 3, a Skrull replaced Stark. Does that not ruin the Stark stories of AoU and Civil War respectively? So it would need to be recent, or it tarnishes passed films. They need to tread carefully.

14. flickchick85

Yeah, despite what they've said, I still firmly believe Avengers 4 is the conclusion to Infinity War. No need for Secret Invasion there.

15. Scarecrow_King

That's why I don't think it'll be any of the main heroes, but several of the supporting characters.

I could see Happy or Pepper being a Skrull, which would emotionally destroy Tony.

16. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

I literally can't think of any major character that could be revealed to be a Skrull without retroactively ruining some scene. Heck, not even Maria Hill. Remember that scene in Winter Soldier where she looks all inspired at Cap while he's making The Speech? Why would a Skrull do that.

17. Scarecrow_King

Skrulls still have emotions. :o

18. flickchick85

I think if any of the main heroes get replaced by Skrulls, it won't happen until that storyline officially starts, as a sort of an impetus for the whole thing - Like Tony all of a sudden starts behaving strangely or something, therefore not ret-conning any of Iron Man's previous appearances. Meanwhile, a few side characters like General Ross, Maria Hill, Everett Ross, Sharon Carter, etc. could turn out to have been Skrulls ever since we knew them, and it wouldn't be too retroactively damaging, imo.

19. Scarecrow_King

General Ross would actually be very interesting...him spearheading the Accords would make since if the Skrulls were coming to Earth and looking for a way to impede the Avengers.

That's my new favorite theory. :up:

20. flickchick85

I mean...no one's seen Betty in a while. Maybe she found out dear ol' dad's a Skrull, lol.

21. Spider-Fan

But even with Ross, him being a Skrull devalues the merits of his Avengers are dangerous speech, which thus devalues the merits of Team Stark in general. Granted, I did not agree with that side from the beginning, but the movie is good because it shows the value and issues with both sides and asks you to make your own choice.

22. flickchick85

It doesn't make any of the points he was making invalid, though. The Skrulls don't have to be so 2-dimensionally evil that they can't talk some sense. I mean, Ross has always been presented as an antagonist in the MCU anyway. We were never gonna side with him even if he did have valid points, because we don't like him. Same goes for a Skrull.

23. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

If they were a couple for a while (no 'love of my life' stuff) and she disappeared off into space, it might bring a funny/interesting moment if Rhodey gets to see the GOTG and even hear Quill's story.... Like, "hmmm maybe Carol survived too".

No biggie though.

24. Spider-Fan

But it makes his intentions more sinister and less grounded in reality, and adds this idea of maybe the Slrull were just softening us up, when the issue was more complex. I don't think it is a good idea.

25. flickchick85

I've always seen Ross as somewhat disingenuous and "sinister" - he's always had an anti-superhero agenda in these movies - but that doesn't change the fact that 117 countries agreed with the points he was making, and doesn't change the validity or complexity of the argument at hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.