Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new thoughts on the timeline given all this new information: since she’s been on Starforce for a while when we first meet her, I’m gonna say the “present day” in this movie, when she comes back to Earth after having been gone for a while and meets up with Fury and Coulson and all that, is gonna be circa 1998-99. Which would jive with Clark Gregg’s comments about it being “8 or 9 or 10 years before Iron Man.” Then when she starts having flashbacks once she comes back to Earth, those are set around 1992, hence the early 90’s wardrobe and set decor (like the “rock the vote” posters).

See... I'm thinking this will be pretty chronological. Childhood (replete with "secrets" about "daddy") then her time in the Air Force, recruitment (and a "revelation" from) by the Kree and then a return trip to Earth where the Skrulls are dealt with ending with either some method of her getting to the present MCU of the 21st century or her being virtually immortal and she has simply been "apart" from humanity until Fury's call.

See... I'm thinking this will be pretty chronological. Childhood (replete with "secrets" about "daddy") then her time in the Air Force, recruitment (and a "revelation" from) by the Kree and then a return trip to Earth where the Skrulls are dealt with ending with either some method of her getting to the present MCU of the 21st century or her being virtually immortal and she has simply been "apart" from humanity until Fury's call.
Well, the EW article specifically stated she's already a member of Starforce when we first meet her at the beginning of the movie, where she's been for a while, and a return trip to Earth forces her to confront some stuff. So childhood, leaving home, etc. will have to be flashbacks.

Well, the EW article specifically stated she's already a member of Starforce when we first meet her at the beginning of the movie, where she's been for a while, and a return trip to Earth forces her to confront some stuff. So childhood, leaving home, etc. will have to be flashbacks.

I haven't read the EW piece yet, so... I guess I'm wrong.

I haven't read the EW piece yet, so... I guess I'm wrong.
I recommend it when you get the chance. Nice little read with nothing too spoilery, and it at least gives us an insight into their takes on these characters.

I hope it’s not another one with a mysterious alien daddy issue a la Quill

tumblr_inline_nfqgw7e7mn1rn84l6.gif

Or at least... That' s my gut feeling right now.

But hey... At least this time it'll be a woman with daddy issues... So... Progress?

Speaking of disappointment, now that marvel sound happy with how the Spider-Man game turned out I would love a captain marvel one especially with her leading Starforce

They didn't made her head blend in with the atmosphere of the rest, which is very graphical and her head is photo-graphical, 2 different things altogether. I am a PS professional and this is purely because someone wants to keep it real, while the artwork isn't.

Speaking of disappointment, now that marvel sound happy with how the Spider-Man game turned out I would love a captain marvel one especially with her leading Starforce
Wow, that thought never entered my head and now it won't ever leave. :up:

Hopefully the first poster image will be better. Captain Marvel deserves a good photoshoot picture.
Yes hopefully the first poster will be good like we’ve finally been getting from other Marvel
films after having terrible ones for years. I have no idea why the EW covers are crap so often. Why not just use the still that already looks good and needs no manipulation.

I wonder how Carol will factor into Avengers 4? Like in the sense of when she gets Fury's message just who in The Avengers camp will find her since it most likely won't be Fury or Hill...but with her joining in on the fight against Thanos it should be interesting to see her meet the rest of The Avengers well the surviving ones anyway

She really doesn't have a very good expression on her face at all. And is she supposed to be flying? Why is her hair blowing out to the sides? Why can't they pick better covers?

I thought she was also supposed to have the Rachel haircut from the 90s? What happened to that?

I know, it’s eating me up inside. Marvel have so many good IPs for video games
If they have the right production standards and budget then there is a goldmine there waiting to be unearthed.

Ok, Ben Mendelsohn's EW interview is amazing.

An excerpt:
You play both the Skrull leader Talos and the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent he impersonates. How did you approach that?
I mean, when you’re Skrullin’, it’s a bit of a different thing. It’s a got a certain flow to it that this guy [gestures to human costume] doesn’t have. Because this guy doesn’t sound like this. This guy is [adopts American accent] a lot more like, straight up, ready to do the work, very military industrial complex certain 1990-whatever. A lot more buttoned up. Skrullin’ is a bit more laid back, a bit tougher. A little bit nastier? Maybe? Maybe. You got sharper nails, stuff like that.

A Skrull can be more openly nefarious, perhaps.
The thing is, when you’re Skrullin’, there’s a kind of take-no-prisoners vibe about it, which is more relaxed. This guy’s got to follow protocol because it’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Skrullin’, you’re punching through shields. You’re taking shields off people and using them on people. So it’s kind of more fun to play.

So what can you tell me about Talos’ M.O. and his relationship with the Kree?
Look…. [long sigh] We gotta deal with the Kree. The Kree are punks. And the Skrulls, I mean, we’re just misunderstood. At the end of the day, the Skrull is really misunderstood. Look, I don’t want to curse in print or anywhere else, but if I could, I would about the Kree. Yeah. I would.

Why does it talk about "last year's" Kong Skull Island? That wasn't last year was it? Wasn't it the year before at least?
It was last year. March 2017.

Not sure I'd go as late as '98/'99 for the year here (unless the story's dragged out over quite a bit of time, a few jumps forward), but it's definitely seeming as if really-early-90s is ruled out for the meat of the story.

Just don't think Clinton '92 election posters would still be lingering around on walls that far after-the-fact. And the NIN shirt seems to narrow things a bit (in conjunction with the Guns N' Roses one) - both bands are still around of course, but might be able to extrapolate an earliest-possible-year thing from the NIN one specifically. First album was '89, but didn't really break mainstream, so you'd sort of think either the Broken E.P. in '92 is probably the earliest most people would be aware of them, maybe even The Downward Spiral in '94. Sort of seems it's more than likely approaching mid-90s at the earliest here (Guns N' Roses as a big still-relevant cultural thing was sort of over with by the late 90s too), so if Carol has actual combat experience it's probably Bosnia rather than Desert Storm.

Of course, other possibility is they're just not paying so close attention with all this detailing and it could just be anytime. :oldrazz: Marvel's seemed pretty specific with this type of thing so far though with the other flicks, so might be an indicator.

Really loving everything we're seeing from this so far though, honestly haven't been this amped for an MCU flick since The First Avenger with Johnston. Just feels like it's going to be a little more straight-up heroic thing with lots of heart to it, rather than some of the more deconstrution-y stuff we've been getting with some of the films since.

Ahhh, the confirmation she's in an F-15 too, eeeeeeee! :applaud Of course it was always gonna be a 15 or 16 given the period, but we've seen 16s in a lot of movies over the years. Nice to see my favorite air force hardware of any period getting some love.

f-15-eagle_orig.jpg

16803402269_57c27aec5b_k-800x350.jpg

33dog-f-15-1.jpg

Strike Eagles are just ****ing majestic to look at. Hope we get a sort of Bond-ian opening action sequence, pre-powers Carol doin' her thing, some cool banter with other pilots and putting the planes through their paces.

^I don't know planes, but those are beautiful.

As for the timeline, I think it's inevitable that we're getting at least two different time periods (all throughout the '90's), based on what that article said about how it starts with her already having her powers and adventuring in space. That means any footage of her pre-Captain Marvel life (the Air Force stuff, the shots where she was wearing that longer wig) are almost certainly flashbacks. Which is where the '92 election posters are likely from. So I say we're looking at flashbacks ranging from her childhood to 1992-93, and "present day" stuff around 1998-ish, where she's been working with Mar-Vell and Starforce for a few years and comes back to Earth with them to deal with the Skrulls. Because Clark Gregg indicated his stuff was a decade or less before Iron Man.

Last edited:
Cool, yeah, just sort of skim-read the article and missed that part about her already having powers from the get-go. Hm, didn't think they'd tweak the origin quite that much, but more than open to it personally. It's not quite as iconic an origin as Batman or Superman or Cap or whoever, plenty of room to cook up something new that's still in the spirit of the character.

But yeah, that does make a lot of sense. I'm trying to square some of the Fury stuff though, not so sure that'll match up with The Winter Soldier. Would have to watch it again, but that movie sort of gives the impression he was way up the chain from the start once Pierce brought him over to S.H.I.E.L.D. from the regular DOD type stuff. And Sam's giving the impression here he's still answering to top brass (kind of seems it's more than just Pierce above him on the totem pole).

Guess there's wiggle-room though, especially if all the Sam stuff is indeed '92 right after coming over. Wow, hope that's a sign that maybe indeed we're getting some Peggy here, as said superior.

So what are we thinking, Kree & Skrulls first become known to Fury around '92, along with all the initial Mar-Vell & Carol schtick, discovering her abilities and all, then quite soon after that she's out in Cosmicsville, "current" events (majority of the movie) picking up in '98?

Sounds like a good way to go, does sort of seem from that it'll be a lot more out in Guardians-territory space than on Earth though, as a ratio. Was guessing it'd be more 50/50, actually thwarting (even temporarily for a couple of decades) an imminent large-scale Skrull infiltration of Earth. Do hope there's more to the Earth scenes than, say, the equivalent of the time/chunk of the movie Tony spent in the Ten Rings cave in Iron Man. Lots of space stuff is great and all, just really want to get a significant "in" to Carol as a person before all the alien shiz first rears its head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"