Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 6

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

When the Captain Marvel thread and the Top Gun: Maverick thread start to blend into one.... :p

2. Tg11 Registered

I can see Carol being a cocky arrogant fighter pilot like Tom Cruise's Maverick a la Top Gun at first and then becoming the hero we all know her to be...isn't that the formula for most Marvel heroes nowadays? You act all cocky, arrogant and self absorbed until you come into your powers and then you end up fighting for humanity? Standard formula and I don't see it being any different with Carol becoming Captain Marvel

3. Abudefduf Registered

I've been watching people trash Brie on social media for the past two days and now I'm seriously starting to wonder if she was the right choice for the role. I mean, personally I think she's wonderful and I know she'll do a great job as Carol, but... she's also so goddamn uncool, and the "controversial" stuff that she's said in the past has made her such an easy target of mockery.

I don't know, maybe they should've cast someone more boring and less controversial.

4. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

What has she said?

I was never really a fan of Brie's casting. Flickchick suggested Lily James as one of her top choices. I would've been very happy with her as Carol. She's my top pick for Sue Storm now.

5. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

The idea of less controversial actress might be good, but why more boring?

6. Manasrepublic Registered

What has she gotten flak for? The whole TSA agent remark??

7. Abudefduf Registered

^ That, and the A Wrinkle in Time thing.

Relatively innocuous stuff that has been blown out of proportion by the whiny manchildren that infest the internet.

Because she wouldn't be Brie Larson. :oldrazz:

#1157 Abudefduf, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  8. CaptainMarvel19 Registered

9. Manasrepublic Registered

I am really hoping they include semi charmed life early on in the movie. That would be hilarious to include!

10. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Fingers crossed for Friday!

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  11. liesse00 Registered

Oh please :whatever: Don't let them change your mind. Also, "uncool" ? I beg to differ.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  12. Manasrepublic Registered

It will be a really interesting plot point to see why she was away during all of these global threats in A1 and A2! In some of the stills she looks super confident like in her Kree armor but in pics of her in her classic duds and standing on the grass fists closed she looks really unsure of herself. She probably loses really badly to one of the Kree like Ronin before being more humble about things

13. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

You shouldn't listen to these people, they are in the minority anyways. I've only seen good things on twitter and tumblr concerning Brie and this movie. The only negative comments I saw were from anti-mcu DC fans that took issue with the, "the future is female" regarding captain marvel.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  14. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah, I was appalled reading some of the blatantly misogynistic comments at the EW article, and then I saw one asking where all these misogynists came from, and apparently some popular MRA guy posted a link to it and his followers just flooded the site or something. So it's really not a majority voice, just a bunch of disgruntled fanatics who've chosen this movie as one of their "causes." Don't let 'em get you down.

15. pxrple Registered

Gal dealt with similar hate stuff about her body and acting ability; if the movie does well none of that will matter

#1165 pxrple, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Zarex likes this.
  16. flickchick85 Admin of Might

So apparently the EW article name drops Torfa as a planet Captain Marvel and the Starforce find themselves on. That's the refugee planet at the center of Kelly Sue's "Higher, Further, Faster, More" arc. Probably just a nod, but a nice one. :D

17. Pink Matters Registered

I went to a few different stores earlier today looking for this week's Entertainment Weekly to no avail. (Among them, two different Targets and both had last week's/Aretha Franklin cover story still on display.) I didn't realize trying to find a store that sells EW would be difficult, but I'm gonna try again tomorrow morning.

18. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

I think new magazines come out on Tuesdays.

19. Pink Matters Registered

Oh, wow, thank you. I thought it was released yesterday. :loco:

20. Silvermoth Avenger

Nice. I love nods like that

21. Abudefduf Registered

The difference is that Gal Gadot was playing a literal pop culture icon, not what is currently one of the most hated characters in comic books. A controversial actress playing a controversial character... the next months are going to be a nightmare.

Tell that to Rian Johnson and Kelly Marie Tran. Last Jedi was both a critical and a commercial success... has that stopped the haters?

I'm just so pissed at Marvel and Ike Perlmutter right now. This movie should've been made years ago, for so many reasons.

22. pxrple Registered

Sorry but the general paying audience aren't keeping up with comic books and internet forum discussions so none of that matters, very few people irl even know Captain Marvel and the people that do are probably going to make up like 1% of the box office.
    There were sites set up by alt-right trolls to tank Black Panther's audience ratings and there are people online that still go on about how Wonder Woman was an over-hyped mediocre movie but at the end of the day both movies are considered successes and mostly everyone I know in real life loves the both of them.
    Star Wars is like a religion to western audiences so ofcourse there's going to be backlash when liberties are taken with the characters and the mythology. At the end of the day the movie just needs to be good and marketed well.

23. pxrple Registered

Which of the avengers are you most hopeful Carol interacts with in A4? Really want her and Steve in a scene together since they're both captains and probably have very different leadership styles (their dynamic might just end up being very similar to Cap & Iron Man in the first Avengers movie although Carol probably isn't as cocky as Tony)

24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I look forward to her interaction with Thor.

#1174 Iceman, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    CaptainMarvel19 likes this.
  25. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

Carol & Steve and Carol & Natasha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.