Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 9

Wow, I'm going for 5th time Saturday before I see Shazam, as a double feature. I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE.

It may eventually be the best movie of the MCU to me, but right now it's #5. It's hard for me to put it above the best of the best, such as Black Panther, Iron Man, Avengers, and Cap 1... but it just may. My heart has been totally won over.

Why do I love this movie so much? Because it's HUMAN. That's the theme of the movie and it's something the MCU has severely lacked in since Phase one. Aside from the special exception of Black Panther of course. Captain Marvel has HEART, soul and by FAR the best hero moments in the MCU. They actually mean something (unlike say, the airport battle in Civil War), and FINALLY we have hero moments that are beautifully shot, after several movies of visually uninteresting noisy action. I keep going back for more.

It's absolutely imperfect and that's another reason why I love it. I've been so used to machine made "perfect" marvel movies forever. They're are largely boring, almost like TV show filler episodes. Good movies to most, but to me? Entertaining, but nothing that really captures my heart and stands out (mainly talking from Iron Man 3 to Black Panther). This? It has quirk, personality and individualism (much like Panther & phase 1 had), old school camera work and stunts that you can just feel, humor that isn't overbearing and doesn't rob the hero of any crucial moment. The dialogue is often sharp and not wasteful. The nostalgia is definitely on the nose, but it works and isn't too hammy. It's used to the films advantage instead of a cheap ploy (ala Bumblebee). It's a harshly lit film at times, you can feel the sunlight of the 90's and it instantly took me back, and back to those types of movies. Wayne's World, T2, etc. The movie is working on several levels to accomplish that nostalgic feel, more than just shoehorned music for the sake of it. I notice that and appreciate it.

The weakest aspect of this movie is that it has to be connected to the MCU. It's really a damn shame, because I didn't give a crap about Captain Marvel before this movie, and now I just want a string of her own movies and her own stories. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Endgame and her involvement, I just hope this shining star isn't diluted over time, and she gets a proper sequel that's truly stand alone!

Can't wait to see it again on Saturday in IMAX for the final time. Because we all know Disney will royally screw over the home release and not include the proper aspect ratio. Argh.

Wow, I'm going for 5th time Saturday before I see Shazam, as a double feature. I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE.

It may eventually be the best movie of the MCU to me, but right now it's #5. It's hard for me to put it above the best of the best, such as Black Panther, Iron Man, Avengers, and Cap 1... but it just may. My heart has been totally won over.

Why do I love this movie so much? Because it's HUMAN. That's the theme of the movie and it's something the MCU has severely lacked in since Phase one. Aside from the special exception of Black Panther of course. Captain Marvel has HEART, soul and by FAR the best hero moments in the MCU. They actually mean something (unlike say, the airport battle in Civil War), and FINALLY we have hero moments that are beautifully shot, after several movies of visually uninteresting noisy action. I keep going back for more.

It's absolutely imperfect and that's another reason why I love it. I've been so used to machine made "perfect" marvel movies forever. They're are largely boring, almost like TV show filler episodes. Good movies to most, but to me? Entertaining, but nothing that really captures my heart and stands out (mainly talking from Iron Man 3 to Black Panther). This? It has quirk, personality and individualism (much like Panther & phase 1 had), old school camera work and stunts that you can just feel, humor that isn't overbearing and doesn't rob the hero of any crucial moment. The dialogue is often sharp and not wasteful. The nostalgia is definitely on the nose, but it works and isn't too hammy. It's used to the films advantage instead of a cheap ploy (ala Bumblebee). It's a harshly lit film at times, you can feel the sunlight of the 90's and it instantly took me back, and back to those types of movies. Wayne's World, T2, etc. The movie is working on several levels to accomplish that nostalgic feel, more than just shoehorned music for the sake of it. I notice that and appreciate it.

The weakest aspect of this movie is that it has to be connected to the MCU. It's really a damn shame, because I didn't give a crap about Captain Marvel before this movie, and now I just want a string of her own movies and her own stories. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Endgame and her involvement, I just hope this shining star isn't diluted over time, and she gets a proper sequel that's truly stand alone!

Can't wait to see it again on Saturday in IMAX for the final time. Because we all know Disney will royally screw over the home release and not include the proper aspect ratio. Argh.
Great review, I love your enthusiasim.

Wow! Glad you loved it so much @TWayneP
It's up there in my MCU rankings as well. Somewhere in that 6-8 range. I think it's at 7 right now

Like, I'm neeeever over here in the MCU boards haha. I just felt the need to get my feelings out about it haha. Like, I've been way more of a fan of the X-Men and Spider-Man stuff over the years, and the good DC stuff. Captain Marvel is a revelation to me, it really connected with me. I find it to be infinitely re watchable and so relatable, with the subtle, dazzling, focused action I've been waiting for. Not just action for actions sake. It has meaning and Carol embracing her full power makes me tear up. Like, this is the Superman movie I've always wanted haha. Or, Supergirl I should say.

Now, my first viewing wasn't as special, I thought it was good and left happy, but it didn't really sink in. My second viewing I LOVED, at the end I turned to my girlfriend and said "is it bad that I really loved it so much more this time?". Something just clicked now that I could dissect the story and characters. So we saw it a third time and I actually got very emotional (serious shaky goosebumps). The build up is so wonderfully curated, you're waiting for Carol to power up, and it gives you such a gratifying feeling when she finally does. I then started to notice the music far more. While the music is largely average (especially upon first viewing), it really does it's job when it counts. My 4th view I saw it alone (in an empty IMAX theater too), my girl had tapped out at that point haha. This is where I found myself just finally crying and letting the emotion out. It's so beautiful in it's "imperfections" and quirk. It's heart is so on point ala the first Captain America which was the only other MCU movie to make me shed actual tears haha.

This is coming from a person who honesty, had the faintest knowledge of Ms.Marvel/Captain Marvel. I've always been a huge marvel nerd, but she's mostly been a backburner character. I knew who she was, and her involvement with Rogue, pretty surface level stuff, and this movie MADE me care and want to dig deep into her character in the comics. I'm buying toys, shirts, I'm all in.

I'm SO happy to have that feeling back, and I'm back on board with the MCU and it just feels good, especially after the Ant-Man and Wasp disaster, I was really worried about Cap Marvel. I hope this movie survives all the mediocre reviews people are giving it, and they don't change direction for her. I want Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck to come back for a more intimate, stand alone sequel, with all the same qualities I love them for. Hell, bring back Pinar Toprak for the music, so she can really explore Carol's musical identity.

Last edited:
The problem with Ant Man and The Wasp is they had no heist this time around.

Like, I'm neeeever over here in the MCU boards haha. I just felt the need to get my feelings out about it haha. Like, I've been way more of a fan of the X-Men and Spider-Man stuff over the years, and the good DC stuff. Captain Marvel is a revelation to me, it really connected with me. I find it to be infinitely re watchable and so relatable, with the subtle, dazzling, focused action I've been waiting for. Not just action for actions sake. It has meaning and Carol embracing her full power makes me tear up. Like, this is the Superman movie I've always wanted haha. Or, Supergirl I should say.

Now, my first viewing wasn't as special, I thought it was good and left happy, but it didn't really sink in. My second viewing I LOVED, at the end I turned to my girlfriend and said "is it bad that I really loved it so much more this time?". Something just clicked now that I could dissect the story and characters. So we saw it a third time and I actually got very emotional (serious shaky goosebumps). The build up is so wonderfully curated, you're waiting for Carol to power up, and it gives you such a gratifying feeling when she finally does. I then started to notice the music far more. While the music is largely average (especially upon first viewing), it really does it's job when it counts. My 4th view I saw it alone (in an empty IMAX theater too), my girl had tapped out at that point haha. This is where I found myself just finally crying and letting the emotion out. It's so beautiful in it's "imperfections" and quirk. It's heart is so on point ala the first Captain America which was the only other MCU movie to make me shed actual tears haha.

This is coming from a person who honesty, had the faintest knowledge of Ms.Marvel/Captain Marvel. I've always been a huge marvel nerd, but she's mostly been a backburner character. I knew who she was, and her involvement with Rogue, pretty surface level stuff, and this movie MADE me care and want to dig deep into her character in the comics. I'm buying toys, shirts, I'm all in.

I'm SO happy to have that feeling back, and I'm back on board with the MCU and it just feels good, especially after the Ant-Man and Wasp disaster, I was really worried about Cap Marvel. I hope this movie survives all the mediocre reviews people are giving it, and they don't change direction for her. I want Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck to come back for a more intimate, stand alone sequel, with all the same qualities I love them for. Hell, bring back Pinar Toprak for the music, so she can really explore Carol's musical identity.
I'm glad you love it this much. Love your enthusiasm.
And I agree about A&TW, I'm completely indifferent to that movie. And that's one thing I've never felt about any MCU movie.

I loved Cap Marvel and will be seeing it again on Monday. I also loved Ant Man and the Wasp. For it was really fun and energetic, and the dynamics between all the characters have been great for the last two movies. I can't wait for the next one of that either!

I did enjoy AM&tW, but it was a little like Doctor Strange for me in the sense that it didn't really grab me, and I didn't end up seeing it again.

I will on video eventually. The theme of family dynamics was interesting, and of course they were able to do some cool things from a visual standpoint.

I loved Cap Marvel and will be seeing it again on Monday. I also loved Ant Man and the Wasp. For it was really fun and energetic, and the dynamics between all the characters have been great for the last two movies. I can't wait for the next one of that either!
I highly expect that there will be a another Ant Man and The Wasp film.

One thing that I did like about Ant Man And the Wasp was the family theme, the search for Janet and
the quest to heal Ghost.
I liked that theme quite a bit.

I think a lot of people feel the way that you do.
That is why CM is doing so well.
And after her wonderful first efforts, I can always do with more Pinar Toprak!

Yes, Toprak's score has grown on me quite a lot in my subsequent viewings. I thought it was fine-but-unmemorable the first go-round, but I kinda love it now.

Yes, Toprak's score has grown on me quite a lot in my subsequent viewings. I thought it was fine-but-unmemorable the first go-round, but I kinda love it now.

Totally! It's so weird. I was so disappointed with the music on first view, but now I can't get it out of my head. It's kind of that perfect combo of whatever is happening on screen actually meaning something, and the music actually supporting the emotional impact of whats being seen, instead of just being background noise.

Sorry once again for sparking an Ant-Man and the Wasp debate haha. Me calling it a disaster is hyperbole for sure. Coming off the high of Infinity War, I don't think AMatW was really the best movie to follow it. It was a totally forgettable waste of a movie to me personally, and I have no interest in seeing it again. But I understand some people were looking for that kind of fluff experience. Thankfully Captain Marvel isn't, and I think/hope Cap Marvel will play well in between Infinity War and Endgame, without having to watch Ant-Man!

Totally! It's so weird. I was so disappointed with the music on first view, but now I can't get it out of my head. It's kind of that perfect combo of whatever is happening on screen actually meaning something, and the music actually supporting the emotional impact of whats being seen, instead of just being background noise.

Sorry once again for sparking an Ant-Man and the Wasp debate haha. Me calling it a disaster is hyperbole for sure. Coming off the high of Infinity War, I don't think AMatW was really the best movie to follow it. It was a totally forgettable waste of a movie to me personally, and I have no interest in seeing it again. But I understand some people were looking for that kind of fluff experience. Thankfully Captain Marvel isn't, and I think/hope Cap Marvel will play well in between Infinity War and Endgame, without having to watch Ant-Man!
Oh you'll hear no argument from me on AM&tW. It was adequate I suppose, but I wouldn't care if I never saw it again. Captain Marvel's on a whole other level in my eyes, one of the most addictive Marvel movies I've seen. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these 6 times in theaters. Wonder Woman was like that for me, but with Marvel? It's been a while.

My brother saw captain marvel yesterday. I thought he wouldn't like it, but I was shocked by his reaction. He loved it, said it was one of the best in the MCU (he's a fan, but not really crazy about comic book movies) and couldn't wait to see it again. He even said he wanted Carol to be the one to defeat Thanos. Yeah, that's not happening. The Russos are too smart for that and Brie and Carol can do without the hate that would undoubtedly follow if anything like that happens.

I am probably topping out at 3 viewings for Captain Marvel in theaters, which is usually where I top out. Usually it is Avengers or Captain America movies I end up seeing more than that.

Thoughts after a 3rd viewing:

1. After death, why does the Skrull sim victim's clothing not revert back?
2. Why does Yon-Rogg not have blue skin like the other Kree?
3. Why does Minn-Erva wear a mask on missions?
4. Does CM still have some kind of mix of human/Kree blood?
5. Will they explain why she didn't age between CM and EG? Did she ever visit earth again in between?
6. What hardened Fury so thoroughly between CM and Iron Man?

Unrelated, but...

If everyone calls him Fury, why does Hill yell, "Nick, Nick!" at the end of IW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"