• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Captain Marvel

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Could Captain Marvel work as movie or would it be too much like Superman? Who should Cap Marvel face if had his own film?

It could work if Superman does better in the box office.

A Shazam film would require a budget as high as Superman.

they could but marvel and dc need to come to some agreement about how to market him.....as it is marvel doesn't let dc market CM as CM because marvel owns the trademark name of captain marvel(its a long story). so dc can use captain marvel as a name of a superhero, but can't official market the CM name........thus shazam, shazam, shazam. and that blows....if they can use CM and bring everyone up to date.....then it would work.....here is a good start...this maxiseries is set to be released in aug. 2006.

ToS1_3.jpg

Shazam just sounds so lame and corny to me.. I wish DC would come up with a better name.. and change his suit it looks like they just added a cape to the flash suit minus the mask

Plus wouldn't the general public just call him a rip-off Superman anyway?

Captain Marvel might work better as a more family oriented film. Not that I think Cap is any less worthy than Supes in any way, but if the film is marketed differently and targets a slightly different demographic they might be able to avoid the obvious comparisons to Superman. Well, there is no way to completely avoid that. But, maybe this way people wouldn't feel that they are being spoon fed the same hero in a different costume.

There was a previous post that worked this idea out quite a ways.
There can be a very good movie made about Captain Marvel, and personally, I think it would be in Marvel's best interest to work out the BS concerning the use of his name. For one, there must be some reason that they've been spelling their Captain's name as Mar-vel. so I doubt the name is the problem. It's the word Marvel that they claim to own the rights to.
I doubt this. Captain Marvel was around long before Timely became Marvel Comics.
If you had read the older post, which has since been removed, you'd know that no matter what Superman Returns does, enough people want a good authentic original Captain Marvel movie based on the original comic origins.
Most of us never considered the Big Red Cheese a competitor of the Big Blue Boy Scout, but more of a compliment to him.
Read ALL of the Alex Ross Captain Marvel books. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Cannibal Feast said:
Captain Marvel might work better as a more family oriented film. Not that I think Cap is any less worthy than Supes in any way, but if the film is marketed differently and targets a slightly different demographic they might be able to avoid the obvious comparisons to Superman. Well, there is no way to completely avoid that. But, maybe this way people wouldn't feel that they are being spoon fed the same hero in a different costume.
I think you're on to something there.

Firehawk said:
Shazam just sounds so lame and corny to me.. I wish DC would come up with a better name.. and change his suit it looks like they just added a cape to the flash suit minus the mask

Plus wouldn't the general public just call him a rip-off Superman anyway?

They would say that out of general ignorance. People wouldn't care to learn the difference.

InkSlinger said:
There was a previous post that worked this idea out quite a ways.
There can be a very good movie made about Captain Marvel, and personally, I think it would be in Marvel's best interest to work out the BS concerning the use of his name. For one, there must be some reason that they've been spelling their Captain's name as Mar-vel. so I doubt the name is the problem. It's the word Marvel that they claim to own the rights to.
I doubt this. Captain Marvel was around long before Timely became Marvel Comics.
If you had read the older post, which has since been removed, you'd know that no matter what Superman Returns does, enough people want a good authentic original Captain Marvel movie based on the original comic origins.
Most of us never considered the Big Red Cheese a competitor of the Big Blue Boy Scout, but more of a compliment to him.
Read ALL of the Alex Ross Captain Marvel books. You'll see what I'm talking about.

All appearances of Captain Marvel published between 1939 and 1953 were published by Fawcett. During the late 1940's, Captain Marvel out sold Superman. So DC sued Fawcett and won so from 1953 to 1972, no SHAZAM comics were published, given that Fawcett couldn't sell them becuase of the lawsuit.
but in the 70's DC got the rights to Captain Marvel but due to Marvel comics getting the rights to the name Captain Marvel, DC wasn't able to use the name.

so yes he was around before marvels Captain Marvel, he just wasn't being used for fear of being sued.
also they do have a "Captain Marvel" of their own.
cap_marvel1.jpg

Caliber said:
They would say that out of general ignorance. People wouldn't care to learn the difference.

But you can't really blame the public for that ignorance. Not everyone is a comic book fan and they shouldn't have to be to enjoy a movie.

I think Shazam would work for a younger audience really well much like Fantastic Four without it being too serious but enough to enjoy.

A Captain Marvel movie done right would flat out own. I just hope they're allowed to call him Captain Marvel, and not refer to him as SHAZAM! It's too close to KAZAAM! IMO
113942327_c25445969e_m.jpg

I'd like to see Daniel Cudmore as Billy Batson/Captain Marvel.

Originally Posted by Spider - Man
Was it this one?:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...d.php?t=233500

or:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...d.php?t=227183

InkSlinger said:
Both, actually.
There were a lot of good ideas in these from some very creative people.
Can these be re-opened or combined with this thread?

If you'd like to catch up on the previuous threads about story lines and casting for a Captain Marvel movie use the above links and pick up from there. That way, we won't all be rehashing and reinventing the same thing.
My thanks to Spider - Man for providing the links.
Best regards,
InkSlinger

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IAmBatman125
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"