CGI vs Realism plus thoughts on Abomination

KuroTsurugi

Civilian
Reaction score
A few years back as I sat in my digital art class, I was told by the teacher that a design I had made would have to have more realism to it in order to be percieved as real. She was referring to a drawn inked and colored prelim sketch that I had done of a man on fire. I swore up and down that this was as real as I needed to get because I maintain the stance that I explained to her, when regarding all CG:
"If a man walked up to you on fire, and he was SUPPOSE to be that way....how would your mind see it, or would it be able to register at all? Would you sit their and explain to him that he's too cartoony because he obviously couln't be on fire?" (She got pissed) LOL!

I bring this up because I remember how unhappy people were with The first Hulk and its CGI, but now im hearing people say that its more realistic than the new hulk. I Like Both.

SO, anyway, I wanted to get some feedback on this because quite honestly. I think both hulks were and are being integrated into the film quite nicely. Especially after the HD viewing of the Incredible Hulk Trailer. I know that some CGI is so extremely plastic like fake and horrible that people have a right to complain about. However, I think that people are choosing to close off their imagination when it comes to viewing cgi and only basing their judgements off of the fact that they KNOW its cgi because it dosen't exist in reality. What do you think?

II. Abomination (Copied from My statement on the "Letterier goes through the trailer" topic on the main superherohype page.

I want people to stop referring to those who contest the new abomination look as whiners. Just because we disagree with a choice made in the movie doesn't mean that we are knocking the movie as a whole. We are asking WHY? If you can give me one good reason why the abomination looks like swamp thing with spine blades, let me hear it. Changing the abomination look also takes out the aspect of the story where people confuse the him with the hulk, and it takes away a level of why the hulk HAD to stop him in the beginning. Give me one good reason why the abomination design should be changed? I am going to go see this movie multiple times either way because the hulk is my favorite character. I am a indie film maker, writer, artist, musician etc. Out of all these fields, the one suffering the most is Film and it's because people trying to make a name for themselves actually think they are artist and are entitled to do what they want with concepts they didn't create, BUT MORE IMPOTANTLY, have no respect for. No respect for the mythos. No respect for the art. No respect period. The only directors that I've seen show respect to comic book characters ,through and through, are Nolan, Raimi, and Favreau. Its not about what Leterrier thinks when it comes to design. He wasn't the one designing it, even when it was changed. This movie is going to be good, and because of my love of film and comics, it will be GREAT! It doesn't make me a whiner because I disagree with some dip**** trying to act like he has conceptual comic book know how. Raise your hand if you're going to see the hulk anyway, and Want to love iT!!!!!!!!!

Add on:
Letterier explained that he though of Abomination as another version of the hulk but injected in the spine and various parts of the body. He explained that Abomination was going to have chinese knife like weapons on his elbows and extenstions of the skeletal fram outside of his skin creating armor.

I ask one thing to all comic book fans:

Is that Abomination, or is that Doomsday?

Anyway, He then explained how he couldn't understand why abomination looked scaley and had amphibious traits. I would like to say that its ABOMINATION! Is there really a need. He is suppose to be line between stable hulk transformation and Unstable Hulk transformation. That explains everything. Read a book Letterier. Dont make me hate you.

And some people would say that I'm just being negative about the movie. I reiterrate that nothing will stop me from seeing this movie multiple times. NOTHING!!!!!!! :bh:

I just want Directors to Realize that We already have the story, we have already been given the Vision. We have already seen what we are dealing with and know that its a great story. If you want to add some flare....DO IT!!!!!! But dont lose your mind and start thinking that you came up with the character just because you had a fit when you were a teenager. Better people with better ideas built the Hulk. Pay respects and Know your role. Direct the camera to make the movie fluid. Direct the Actors to make sure they understand what their character is doing, and how they are suppose to feel to make it believable. DONT TOUCH THE ART!

Sidenote:

How come they wont do the actual origin of the hulk. Bomb in the field. Rick Jones. Meh.

YOUR TURN!~ sorry guys, The Hulk is dear to me. I got carried away.

Sidenote:

How come they wont do the actual origin of the hulk. Bomb in the field. Rick Jones. Meh.

My opinion is that the original comic book origin was lifted from the "giant atomic mutant" genre of movies from the 50's (The Amazing Colossal Man seems especially Hulky), and would seem hokey, unoriginal and unbelievable today.

That said, I still hold out hope we'll see Rick in some form or another in the new movie.

If we ever get Rick, he better have his own little Hulk out in the movie.

hahaha...agreed and nice reference to the colossal man. Kudos. I do also believe that it would be hokey if we weren't being fed bigger pieces of **** ideas. Plus, anything with a good concept behind it has potential for great execution. Failure lies in the individual and not the idea. Of course we are also use to many individuals failing at life. hahaha.

I also hold hope for a Rick Jones introduction.

If Rick Jones isn't included in the origin of this movie then he really shouldn't be in the rest of the franchise, the whole point of the character was he was the kid bruce gave his life for and the Hulk's first friend.

Rick is instrumental in early Marvel comics - Hulk, post-Iceberg Captain America, the Avengers (I'd love to see a modern version of the Teen Brigade) so I expect he'll show up in one the connected movies.

I just hope he's introduced in TIH. And has a moment with a certain reporter named McGee.

Yeah, we all want Rick Jones secretly....but what are your opinions on Letterier's Abomination and the use of CG vs realism and is it real enough?

i think the cgi is good enough for me to think this movie is gonna be totally insane. i mean, the texture on him is really nice. the only thing making it look fake is that its a huge green man. but hey, it,s the hulk! (who rocks by the way)

as for the abomination-i dont think that the changes in the design will take away from the movie. ya, there was really no point (i mean does he look any more ordinary now with out the scales) but he still IMO looks like a form of the abomination.

When I first saw the new Hulk I didn't hate it, but I was surprised because we're in the future and technology is supposed to improve. I'm okay with it tho, because I wasn't too hyped up on it. Same deal with Abomination. I didn't hate it, but was surprised to see a different version than what I'm used to seeing. :dry: I would have liked to see the fins on the head tho.

I can see why some of the fans are angry, but I can also see that this movie could blow my mind out of my skull. I've been let down before and refuse to let it happen again, I will wait and be patient before I caste my final judgement.

I think alot of criticism of the CGI in any given movie that features fantastical creatures is particularly nitpicky. It's not like they have a living model of all these creatures to study natural movement from. I mean if any of you know where to find a living green skinned embodiment of anger made flesh by all means let us know where we can find it.

good answer guys! ~ if anyone is still open to this topic. what do you make of the newest scenes that were released. the cg is beginning to look alot better than what was shown, even in the theatrical short trailer they are playing in front of speed racer.

I think it's hard to say on the CGI. There are spots where Hulk looks good, and other times when he's too glossy. The same applies to Blonsky. Still, I really doubt his design would look half as good as a prosthetic or practical suit.

As for the Abomination...it was never gonna happen. Obi-Ron's example is a good one. In the 50's, people didn't give much thought to what radiation actually did. The Abomination was the story of a man who wanted power and was turned into something hideous. His appearance was accepted because- in comics- radiation could do anything. Nowadays, people wouldn't buy it. Still, Leterrier and Arad's ideas pay tribute to the basic idea behind Blonsky. That trailers show it all: Man wants power, gets that power, but becomes a monster. Does he look a little like Doomsday? Yes. But at least the design's a way to reference his scaly counterpart. Plus, it doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly hate his comic book look just because the film has something different.

my only critic to Ang Lee's HULK is that the face was sooooo dumb looking...he neded to look meaner and angrier...the resto of the body is still fine with my tastes...

this new HULK however...has the mean and angry looks...but the arms are soooo dam large...just check the lenght of the arms on a regular sketch and check the trailers arms lenghts...the pass way down the knees...he looks kinda like an ape...

and he looks so over-ripped...he muscular mass is over the top...

i gotta say...when i first read that they were changing the designs of the Abomination i was scared....

now i want to see this movie...more for the Abomination than for the HULK itself...i just love this Abomination...

The face of Ang Lee's Hulk looked weird cos it was modelled off Eric Bana. The resemblance is uncanny and I think that's why I wasn't so flash for Bana...if he transformed into a real cool looking Hulk with a square jaw, I wouldn't mind, but the round faced, pudgy geek Hulk just didn't sell it for me.

For the new Hulk, they designed the Hulk before Norton was cast, thus we've got a cool design, that unfortunately, doesn't really match the actor. But who gives a sheet right? We've got a cool looking Hulk and a great Bruce Banner.

I don't see why it's a problem that he doesn't look like Norton. Hulk doesn't look like Bruce in the comics.

They gave him a dimple on his lip and a scar on his cheek to point out that Hulk and Bruce are one-and-the-same.

I thought with the 04 Hulk, they easily could've explained the Abomination's reptilian origins through all the experimenting Banner was doing on frogs, starfish and the like. It wouldn't have been as ridiculous as some think...but really, does it matter? He still looks pretty badass and is a genuine threat to the Hulk. It's not like the 'fish wings' were a vital part of the Abomination's character.

This abomination - tho not nearly as cool looking as the comics Abomination - makes much more sense and really is more realistic. This (just like organic web shooters) is a kickass way to improve the character.

From MTV.COM

"On movie sites like this one, fanboys love to scream that every comic-book-based film needs to be darker than Venom itself. But the studios want to sell toys and tickets, and they've been arguing with filmmakers for decades that the way to do that is by making comic adaptations family-friendly. It's no secret that Batman came thisclose to being recast and dropped into a more lighthearted "Justice League" movie, so purchasing a ticket for "The Dark Knight" will give Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan a mandate to maintain their badass Bruce Wayne. Meanwhile, actor Edward Norton reportedly fought a losing battle to make "The Incredible Hulk" more brainy than brawny, so if you prefer Ang Lee-like angst, you might want to stay home. "

This is why I hate Marvel. All they want to do is make movies to sell merchandise and the hell with the quality of the movie. The mandate is to make it kiddie friendly....

From MTV.COM

"On movie sites like this one, fanboys love to scream that every comic-book-based film needs to be darker than Venom itself. But the studios want to sell toys and tickets, and they've been arguing with filmmakers for decades that the way to do that is by making comic adaptations family-friendly. It's no secret that Batman came thisclose to being recast and dropped into a more lighthearted "Justice League" movie, so purchasing a ticket for "The Dark Knight" will give Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan a mandate to maintain their badass Bruce Wayne. Meanwhile, actor Edward Norton reportedly fought a losing battle to make "The Incredible Hulk" more brainy than brawny, so if you prefer Ang Lee-like angst, you might want to stay home. "

This is why I hate Marvel. All they want to do is make movies to sell merchandise and the hell with the quality of the movie. The mandate is to make it kiddie friendly....

I'm sure that's not their entire goal, but it is a sizable chunk, after all, they are a business first and foremost. They wouldn't be able to continue if they lost money on projects.

Blade was one movie that comes to mind, and there are killings and violence in many Marvel films.

Its been a minute since i came around but im loving the responses. I just finished watching the 3 new featurettes for the movie and Alot has changed. First off, Iron Man Rocked!!!! It made me think that maybe, just maybe, Marvel knew that they had to have certain directors with certain qualities to make the movies what they could be. They should also know by now that directors like Mark Johnson, (daredevil, Ghostrider) Should be locked away because they dont bring an appreciation of the characters to the table with them. Anyway.....Enough ranting

I am not pumped about the change of Abominations look, but Its not going to ruin my movie. We got 2 Days til we get to see our big green man run Strong and Angry. I hope the movie does good. The only reason I bring up Abominations look at all is because without his original look from the comics, a huge part of the conflict between Abom and the Hulk is left out. The fact that people couldn't tell them apart at first glance and the Hulk HAD to stop him and show people that they were not alike. Anyway, no biggie.

I wasn't sold completely on the movie until I saw the featurette where hulk was pounding abominations face with the car bumper. Now I cannot wait for this film. Even if the film does nothing more than be Brutalmax, I'll be satisfied. Thanks for keeping the post going guys.
We will return once the film has rocked our eyeballs out (crosses fingers)

:bh:-HULK SMASH!!!!!!

I thought both looked good, but the new one seemed to suffer from the obvious edge missmatch more than the first one. I didn't notice it all the time, but it did pop out more to me. Maybe I was just being too critical. Aside from that, I just didn't care how much sinue they showed on Hulk. He looked a bit too much like green muscle with the skin torn away.

Awesome action flick though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"