The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 5: The Return of Corporate Synergy (Spoiler Discussion)

As a Mando fan...I loved everything. The Lore. The small little details (Ie Paz Vizla holding the Darksaber reverently), the new locales etc.

But as a Boba fan...I just feel cheated. I feel guilty for enjoying this episode. Like I was SOOO hyped for this show, and I've enjoyed the episodes so far...but the pacing issues/the lack of episodes and episode length has been a major issue collectively. And now we have two episodes to wrap things up ( though part of me thinks they may just do the battle with the Pykes as the opening arc of Mando S3) and I don't think there's enough time to give it a conclusion that's not half assed.

Filoni...I've know we've had our issues...but your my only hope.
I really loved the lore/mythology on show here and look forward to more of it being referenced in MS3. I think many will have the same view as above. I've never seen any show do this. I don't even like team comics for eg which focus exclusively on only one or 2 characters from that team in a particular issue, might as well put that in a one shot or solo, but one character totally taking over another's show is way too far. A long - say 10 minute intro featuring only Mandalorian is about as much as I think they could have done without bending the unwritten rules of what's ok for this sort of thing. :yay:

See what I thought was going to happen was that the Armorer was going to task Mando with killing Boba as penace.

"If you want redemption...kill the pretender"

Mando would feel guilt/hesitance because HE knows that Boba isn't a pretender. But the Watch doesn't. Like if we could just tie Boba more in the plot of episode, it would be fine if he didn't appear because it would be setting conflict between Din and Boba.

Oh well...the road less traveled.

See what I thought was going to happen was that the Armorer was going to task Mando with killing Boba as penace.

Yes, this. Or if not that, heck the dude is in Mos Eisley. The Pykes just came to town last episode. What if Mando somehow encountered them or accidentally uncovered which syndicate is truly behind them? Or maybe the Pykes mistake him for Boba due to the Mandalorian armor and attack him? It informs Din that Boba is in town and in need of Mando's help.

I hesitate to prefer that because this is an excellent episode courtesy of Bryce Dallas Howard. But wow does it feel way too disconnected.

My Boba guilt aside....

I want to tip my hat off to Bryce.

I rewatched The Sanctuary and The Heiress prior to The Return of the Mando as prep. Both were solid episodes; but her work for this week's episode was awe inspiring. If she keeps it up at this rate she's going to have her own movie soon.

Great episode, felt like an entirely different series obvs and does little to progress Boba's story really but I guess who cares when its more great Star Wars stuff in general, a little jarring sure, but this series is all over the place anyway so perhaps a break was needed from time jumps and sand for a while at least and my goodness it certainly added a whole lot to Mando again and that world, so much good stuff, Mando S2 call backs, Phantom Menace call backs, A New Hope call backs, so many call backs but all good and in the right place.

I hope this season can wrap up things satisfactory but it does feel like season 2 will be a better bet for showing a modern Boba compared to this season which has felt more like a warm up and prologue to the full things, hopefully they can iron out the kinks for next time, the potential is there still but the structure of this season has been all over the shop and felt like a rollercoaster in terms of overall quality.

Lets hope the last two episodes are a blast though as things have at least picked up in episodes 4 and 5 in terms of quality, lets end on a high!

I guess Jon is just better at writing The Mandalorian episodes than he is at Boba Fett ones. I don't mind Jon's character has returned, he was a cool character. I like the Mandalore flashback, can't wait to see the city in live action. For a moment I thought the space station was orbiting Mandalore and they would just show the planet from the deck they were walking on.
I think maybe the blacksmith made Grogu a chainmail shirt kind of like Bilbo's in the Hobbit.

One thing that really stood out for me with this episode is how with The Mandalorian we continue to be introduced to new worlds

The episodes prior we have been stuck on Tatooine and it kinda gets repetitive. Hopefully once Boba takes over Tatooine, he decides to spread his empire to other worlds in the next season. Dude needs to at least go back to Kamino

Yeah, I like seeing more of the universe that is what I liked about the The Clone Wars show, it opened up the Universe. I was thinking Omega shows up at some point to meet Boba and also tell him about Kamino.

"If you want redemption...kill the pretender"

Mando would feel guilt/hesitance because HE knows that Boba isn't a pretender. But the Watch doesn't. Like if we could just tie Boba more in the plot of episode, it would be fine if he didn't appear because it would be setting conflict between Din and Boba.

Oh well...the road less traveled.

Since they just found out that Din had completed his task, it's unlikely they even knew about Boba Fett being alive. This was the first time they had seen or talked since Nevarro.

Every time I see old school X-Wings flying about it makes me want an X-Wing/Rogue Squadron series more and more.

What the amazing episode... of The Mandalorian.

sigh

This show has some structural problems. As much as I can enjoy the show, I do not understand what is going on in the showrunner's mind. Why are you putting the Mando season premiere in a spinoff show? I get stealth pilots for potential spinoff shows, but 99% of the time, they are bad episodes of the series. A stealth season premiere is new, I guess, and terrible.

I think they just wanted to show what Din is doing and has been up to since we last saw him. It did seem like an episode that was plucked from season 3 of The Mandalorian. Maybe since they got this out of the way when we see Season 3 it will be able to hit the ground running with no tying up loose ends from the previous season. It does make me realize how much more I like Din than what I have seen of Boba so far. I think a bounty hunter traveling the universe is more interesting than a crimelord stuck in one spot all the time.

9a54486853e0c1bf480a429969ce75872c717e76.gifv

Didn't stand out that much on my first watch, but that heavily volume-assisted long take of him entering the bar was really, really clever.

The Darksaber getting heavier for Din is an interesting twist. I did a quick check of Rebels, and the Darksaber got lighter for Sabine as she trained with it. Will have to rewatch the whole episode to get a fuller idea of Sabine with the Darksaber.

But clearly, Din is just holding the saber for Sabine to get it back and become Mandalor.

Best episode yet. Glad to see this show realize that all you need to do to make it entertaining and interesting is remove Boba Fett and set the majority of it on a planet other than Tatooine.

Amazing episode, out of context. BDH is on a fast track to get a movie, and it will probably be better than her dad's.

That said, this compounded the already significant pacing issues by 1,000. As much as I've enjoyed the show thus far - what the heck is Rodriguez doing with this? It's his first time as a showrunner, and it shows. But with Favreau is writing the scripts, so some of the blame falls on him. I don't get how they dropped the ball on such a simple concept.

Really geeked out over the N1 fighter, but it makes no sense for a bounty hunter. Also, the Armorer is a **** mentor.

(...) but it does feel like season 2 will be a better bet for showing a modern Boba compared to this season which has felt more like a warm up and prologue to the full things, hopefully they can iron out the kinks for next time (...)
While this hasn't been announced as a limited series like Obi-Wan or Ahsoka, I'm having a hard time imagining we're getting more than one book of Boba Fett after the responses to tonight's episode tbh. In general I think Boba might work better as a secondary character, but we'll see. :)

This episode just remined me how much more enjoyable The Mandalorian is compared to Boba Fett.

Fans spent years wanting more Boba Fett and then they created the Din Djarin who stole Boba's thunder.
Ha, true. I have no idea why they weren’t equally as ambitious with Boba Fett after the success of Mandalorian. Given his cult status he could could have been every bit as big for Disney+ with similar quality writing and budget visible on screen. This feels like a spin off where it should be a partner show on the same level.

While this hasn't been announced as a limited series like Obi-Wan or Ahsoka, I'm having a hard time imagining we're getting more than one book of Boba Fett after the responses to tonight's episode tbh. In general I think Boba might work better as a secondary character, but we'll see. :)
I think there is much to see with him transitioning from elite bounty hunter to crime lord (albeit a very respectful one lol) with widening influence over time. I love how he has started building with Fennec, the Gamorrean guards and the Cyberpunk gang and was hoping BK would be the newest recruit. Alongside Din for specific jobs that would be a nice start on the muscle front. Was really hoping this latest episode would be the one where we forward to Boba’s expansionary plans in the present rather than another flashback/background buildup, even though the episode was excellent as a Mandolorian episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"