• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chapter 77 - Brave New World

I don't get why the NBC budget forone of its few episodic dramas seems to do less visually than Smallville on the CW.

I agree, some Wheadon-ish rubber masks and makeup would give the show a good send-off.
Id like to see Claire in a drag out fight. She can't be stopped, but she can be slowed down.

I will say that the finale was anti-climatic.

But thank God they didn't kill Samuel.

I always say that NBC won't cancel Heroes because they don't have much else...then the Tonight Show fiasco happened. So I mean I hope they won't cancel it. It does seem there is atleast one more season planned.

I would also like to dance around after hearing that Hayden will be leaving the show. Good riddance, but it does seem like a *****e move to show the world that there are super-powered people and then leave.

One more thing, I love the idea of Sylar being a Hero.

The last episode was pretty good.

Two things...I hope

A) This is a huge change in the series focusing now on Peter and Sylar and a new plot involving specials being known to the world, with a few new heroes thrown in every now and then. I feel that could be an improvement.

or

B) It's over.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Samuel's body has to recalibrate itself in order to use his terrakinesis/geokinesis, as opposed to the popular thought that the presence of specials is what gives him his power. It was explicitly stated that Samuel's powers are boosted by them, but they're not the source. Samuel was so used to accessing his abilities through outside sources that once Hiro teleported everyone away he had no idea how to access them. So we may see Samuel come back in a BIG way in BNW

Ah, reliable Heroes comes through again. If you ever want an anti-climactic season finale, look no further!

I didn't mind the finale that much. Was it anti-climatic? Yes, it was. But every season finale has been. Had this been the second season of Heroes, it would have been much better received I think. (And honestly, sometimes I wish you could just wave a magic wand and make it S2).

However, in response to some comments about Samuel's inconsistency in the whole "more specials more power" thing:

I assumed Samuel could be within a manageable distance from the other specials and still use them as a power source. When he totaled the mansion, I assumed the Carnival was nearby, since he seemed to jump around quite a bit with the Carnival. Hiro simply transported the specials out of his reach.

However, there were still quite a few lose ends that needed to be addressed, and some sloppy writing. Like how Noah would know Multiple Man would help him. It would have made sense if Parkman had said "find Noah Bennett" ect. ect. Clare's last minute reveal seemed a little too teenage angsty, and I would have liked to see a bigger fight.

But, still, I thought it was an all right season overall. However, I still want them to go back and film a kickass fight for the end of Season 1. That's really all that's missing from that season to make it completely amazing.

But, still, I thought it was an all right season overall. However, I still want them to go back and film a kickass fight for the end of Season 1. That's really all that's missing from that season to make it completely amazing.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, the first season didn't deliver a battle... but the climax was superb. Quick, yet superb. One couldn't expect an apokoliptic battle in the first season, just a preview... and that's what we got. The failure came in the follow up.

I thought How to Stop an Exploding Man was really lame. Of course we were supposed to expect an apocalyptic battle in the first season. The first season should stand on it's own, and EVERYTHING was building up to that one moment. It didn't deliver in any way. That lame finale was the beginning of the end. To have waited that long to get such a weak episode was so disappointing.

Heroes really should have had two hour finales from the start. HtSaEM's nice character moment with Peter and Charles is a good example of why. It was a nice scene, but the only problem is it sucked up time from the already short finale. The finales never have any time to breathe. They always feel rushed and anti-climactic.

Last edited:
This show has become more of a comedy than a drama. I don't know why I still watch, but boy is it awwwwwwwwwwful.

Of course we were supposed to expect an apocalyptic battle in the first season.

nonsense. it was the first season. If they delivered that battle in the opening season, they literally would have had no where to go: less places to go than they were left with, with the way HTSAEM actually went.

if they delivered the Peter v Sylar battle in the first season, it would have been great, but limited the directions the show could have gone afterwards.

as I said, it's the follow up where they dropped the ball. 3 more seasons have been added since then, and yet, we are still waiting for that ultimate battle. That's where the failure lays. They delivered a solid first season, low key, but solid. But they failed to follow the rule of sequels, where sequels seasons should be bigger (failed) and better (failed) than that which came before... infact, it feels like they are actually doing the opposite (where every subsequent season is worse than that that came before)

nonsense. it was the first season. If they delivered that battle in the opening season, they literally would have had no where to go: less places to go than they were left with, with the way HTSAEM actually went.

if they delivered the Peter v Sylar battle in the first season, it would have been great, but limited the directions the show could have gone afterwards.

If you watch S1, it's painfully obvious Sylar was supposed to die. Just listen to Issac saying he shows them how to stop him. Just watch his final moment when all of his victims flash before his eyes. The build up is just incredibly obvious that S1 was supposed to be the final Peter/Sylar battle. They just tacked on the missing body thing at the end (they didn't even need Qunto there to film that) and tried to explain away the fact that he had an entire katana go through his chest. And I'm 100% sure the reason was because near the end they realized Sylar was too popular to kill off.

That was their final battle for Peter and Sylar, I'm sure of it. Even if I'm wong and they didn't plan to kill Sylar off for good then it's still even more obvious that they were planning to have Sylar become a good guy when they brought him back, meaning yet again that Kirby Plaza was supposed to be the final Sylar/Peter battle. The only reason they chickened out on good Sylar was probably because the fan reception was so negative so they figured they might as well make Sylar go back to doing what he does best. The fact Sylar's first good guy journey is poorly written coming in and coming out is proof of that. Him becoming good and then becoming evil again just made a complete mess of his motivations and character. The S1 finale was their planned spot for the final battle between Peter and Sylar and they blew it.

Plus, to use "saving for later seasons" is such a weak excuse for such a poorly written fight. Sylar all of a sudden forgot how to use his powers not because the studio didn't have the budget for a huge fight but because they didn't want to not be able to top themselves in the future. Right.

HtSaEM is a great allegory for the show as a whole. Great potential, disappointing final results, and it just leaves you with an empty feeling.

Last edited:
I think they are trying to drag this show to 100 episodes so that it can reach syndication. I will you bet you that this next season is the last.

I think Mama Petrelli should stay a side character. S3 was the worst season in my opinion, and that was the only season she was a main character. In S1, S2, and S4 she was a side character and that's what she's best at because she's really not one of the Heroes. She works better as support or as a foil for Peter.

I actually think Matt can be let go. He doesn't have much reason to stay unless they shoehorn him in. Of course I'm approaching it from the angle of "whose story has been completed enough to let go" versus "who do I want to go" because I really don't want another Monica, Micah or Molly. Matt has his family, his story arc is done. Suresh is already gone basically.

Hiro and Ando could be done now considering how they both seem tired of Hero-ing and both just want to go home to Japan to be with Kimiko, but they're probably not going to get rid of Hiro or Claire. Those two and Sylar were the only characters big enough to show up on the promotional images for S4. Like it or not, the Heroes crew considers them to be the big three and they're not getting rid of them. And if Claire stays, HRG is going to stay for sure. Plus there's the fact that Claire has taken center stage in the whole "coming out" thing so for her to just disappear wouldn't make much sense.

Tracy would probably come back too. The crew is not willing to give up Ali Larter or they would have had her leave the show when Niki died.

So characters they could let go at this point: Tracy, Matt, Hiro, and Ando, Suresh.

Characters they're probably willing to let go: Suresh and maybe Matt.

I disagree that Matt should be let go. Like Mama Petrelli, Matt was more of a side character in Season 4. I do think there is a strong possibility that we may not see Tracy and Suresh. They won't let go of Hiro/Ando as they are pretty popular but they do need to improve the story on those two.

Matt doesn't want to be a Hero. He wants to live a normal life. They have to force him into the story if they want to bring him back for S5 like he pretty much was forced into the story in S4. I think they should just establish he has his happy ending and put his character arc to a close.

Suresh is already done. They pretty much gave him his happy ending in the graphic novels. They were pretty much forcing him into the story after Season 1 anyway. I don't know about Tracy because they really don't seem to know what to do with her character. They might just kill her off and introduce Barbara because when they didn't know what to do with Niki they killed her off and replaced her with Tracy.

Last edited:
Matt sure did recoup fast for being shot a dozen times.

If you're referring to the recent shooting, he got healed by Peter.

The S1 shooting did bother me. I think along with Sylar and Nathan he was one of the characters they planned to die at the end of S1 and chickened out at the last minute.

I don't think Smallville should be better than Heroes.
At least with the Sville I feel an hour of episodic drama has had a begining and a conclusion as well as an out for upcoming episodes. Heroes I get pieces of ****. 2/3rds of an explanation here, a couple of convo's there, some B/W flashbacks.

The episode w/ Mama P's sister was about as complete as it got. And my favorite 'Days of future Past' episode. That's before SFX come in.

Some of the Sville..alot of the Sville characters are nausiating CW boobs, but at least I'm not constanly strung along and told there will be water and all I get is a warm swallow from a Claire dixie cup. How popular will Heroes even be in syndication?

If you're referring to the recent shooting, he got healed by Peter.

The S1 shooting did bother me. I think along with Sylar and Nathan he was one of the characters they planned to die at the end of S1 and chickened out at the last minute.

Yeah I meant to type that he became a free man fast. How do you explain to the cops that a killer was in your head and he did all of those things? Sylar as Matt killed a man and held people hostage and was threatening cops with a gun but Matt was free to go:huh:

I liked that Samuel survived, as Rob Knepper was the best thing about S4.

Doyle is a good villain too, because they don't overuse him.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, the first season didn't deliver a battle... but the climax was superb. Quick, yet superb. One couldn't expect an apokoliptic battle in the first season, just a preview... and that's what we got. The failure came in the follow up.

Yeah....no. We get these two characters who have a plethora of amazing abilities, and the climax of them finally meeting was building to the breaking point....and we got a lame punching max.

Not only that, but we should have expected a great fight because they planned to film a spectacular show down, but then their budget got cut.

And Sylar was supposed to die in the S1. The idea for Heroes in the beginning was to have a nearly completely new cast each season, with some of the main characters from the past seasons possibly playing very small supporting roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"