Chapter 47 - "Duality" - Discussion Thread 12/15/2008

I'm pretty dissapointed in this episode. It seemed so forced and random.

-How was Sylar able to counter Eric's body control ability?

-It takes the death of their boss before Flint and Knox realize that they won't be that special anymore if everyone has powers? They couldn't have figured this out sooner?

- I don't like the idea of Ando getting a power. Although his power sin't too bad.

- Peter taking the formula was bad. Suresh turns into a monster, Ando passes out but Peter instantly gains flight.

- The villainess Nathan wasn't well developed at all. Him and Peter love eachother. They saved eachothers lives many times, including in the middle of a junge in Haiti but a day later Nathan tells Peter that he would have left him to die when Peter has just saved his ass, again. :huh:

- When Tracy killed that reporter she was crying, she felt guilty, wanted to turn herself in and even tried to commit suicide. But now she just kills people wihout batting an eye? She killed Knox like it was nothing, so she's a stone cold killer now?

- Why was Claire giving everyone orders? Someone needed to seriously shut her up.

To sum it all up:

1) The powers have become excessive and contradictory.
2) The characters and their actions have become completely nonsensical.
3) Heroes needs some serious rescuing.

It should have been a clear fight... perhaps not long, perhaps not huge, but something that required some choreography and probably should have exceeded the SFX budget of other episodes.

The altercation we got was not clear on multiple levels. It was, truly, unfinished as far as development was concerned.

Agreed. Why have a show with people who have super powers if their conflicts are meaningless and over in the blink of an eye?

wow, this episode was so... random

- The villainess Nathan wasn't well developed at all. Him and Peter love eachother. They saved eachothers lives many times, including in the middle of a junge in Haiti but a day later Nathan tells Peter that he would have left him to die when Peter has just saved his ass, again. :huh:

THIS... where did that come from? The dynamic of the Petrellis has been developed since S1 and suddenly Nathan becomes evil in like... 5 seconds. It's like the spirit of his father possessed him :whatever:

There will never be an epic or "clear" fight in this show of "super heroes". I have waited...let me rephrase it...WE have waited for a fight and...going on Season 4 and still nothing!

I like the show but I am starting to lose interst in it. I remeber when I used to watch it every Monday, now this past 3 weeks all I did was watch it on the NBC's website because it doesn't amuse me as it did before.

What was the budget of the show Charmed? They used to have some kick ass fights in that until it turned ****. Also Smallville with a smaller budget than Heroes has better action scenes, the funny thing is heroes sucks in both story character development and action.

- Peter taking the formula was bad. Suresh turns into a monster, Ando passes out but Peter instantly gains flight.

I believe the formula worked very fast and easy for Peter because he is someone that was born with an ability, so his genes reacted to the formula instantaneously. Which be why it was more painstaking and longer for Ando, Mohinder, and Scott the marine because they didn't have the genes.

What the heck did Sylar do to the Puppet guy?

It's so fitting that Ando's power would be to supercharge other people. He's such a freakin side-kick lol

It's so fitting that Ando's power would be to supercharge other people. He's such a freakin side-kick lol
His ability is kinetic energy and its also supercharges other abilitys,he can also throw KI blasts.

He out Sylared him. Doyle (the Puppeteer) suddenly realized that it was the Sylar show and the realization killed him outright. It would have just nearly killed him, but you know, Sylar is sooo badass.

it's amazing to see how pathetic the action scenes are on Heroes... this big budget tv series... i mean seriously, Charmed, Angel, Buffy, hell even a show like VIP which was so lame has better fight scenes and action choreography than this incredibly floppy disappointing show

This episode was like a little microcosm for all of Season 3 so far. Or, at least, all of the 'Villains' volume.
HUGE disappointment. Epic fail.
They had some really cool ideas (mostly early on, some of the stuff w/ Hiro and Sylar), but they were all abandoned as the storyline went on.
Alternate futures became irrelevant (Hiro+Ando), the tension between the two of them that was so interesting just kind of...disappeared.
Sylar's quest for redemption was definitely a bit much, but was kind of cool at first w/ him just being a company agent and still badass and taking powers.
But by the end of this volume everything felt convoluted and I felt like it was so hard to tell what was gonna be important, that it took away from anything that happened FEELING important.

One of the only good things that came toward the end of this story arc was Sylar FINALLY reverting back to how he should be...
"...I hate heroes." Alright. Cool. Let's keep it that way.

And as for Hiro, they would have had better dramatic effect by killing him off at this point. If he's gonna get screen time, I want him to be doing something valuable, not being ten years old, getting his mind erased, or his powers stolen constantly, right after he makes quantum leaps ahead of every other hero in terms of resolving issues.

OK.
[/end rant]

I'm really trying to stay on board, but the show is becoming less and less interesting. Sylar is way overrated and over used. How is it that this man is unable to get his @ss kicked just once? I thought the confortation with the Puppet guy would be interesting as when he took over Sylar's i thought it was meredith who was going to take him down while he was diverted, but Noooooooooooooo, as for reasons i can not see Sylar simply mutteres "you think you can control me" and magiacally the Puppet guy falls out or dies or whatever happened to him. Still trying to figure out which power would've allowed sylar to counter the Puppet guy. I could see someone like Matt with his teleapthy being able to counter it, but what power does Sylar has that would allo him to be immune??? Roll eyes. Maybe it's his strong will, which in that case this man should get a Green Latern ring with will power that strong.

True but it is annoying how he is able to best anyone who comes up against him so easily.They didnt even let Meridith defend herself against him, just stand there while he got the best of her.

All to true. Sylar is annoying now. The writing on the show is lazy. Meridith can control, and generate fire and yet here she is pulling a gun on Sylar and shaking like a leaf. Their's a lot this woamn could've done to fight but yet nothing. Sylar's not flame proof, sure he'd heal(why they gave him that power is beyond me) but I do recall in the Xmen or one of them Marvel issues that Pyro couldn't use his flames to beat another mutant so he burned up the oxygen around him making him pass out. This is what you call imaginative writing and not this lazy crap that constantly goes on over at NBC.

What was the budget of the show Charmed? They used to have some kick ass fights in that until it turned ****. Also Smallville with a smaller budget than Heroes has better action scenes, the funny thing is heroes sucks in both story character development and action.

Well despite having a lower budget that those shows like Charmed or angel were cheaper to produce. Production costs on a major network are higher because they have a larger audience and some other crap i really don't recall. I just remember reading somewhere about them shows that come on networks like WB, UPN and now the CW and how they were cheaper.

Yeah Peter can hang with Sylar but so can all the other ones that I mentioned.

Peter, Arthur, Hiro, the Vortex guy, Ted, and Puppet master all CAN DEFEAT Sylar but the writers make it seem that Sylar is the almighty god-like superhuman that no one can touch because of his telekensis :whatever: So what do the writers do? kill them off or depower them so they can't be a threat to Sylar!

And that is just poor writing or lazyness.

Well to be fair, Ted was unaware who Sylar was and assumed he was some guy trying to help him when the truck flipped also he wasn't trained with his power. Ted didn't seem to be able to use his powers effectivily. He was powerful no doubt and with practice he would've been a bad ass capable of a lot. The guy had electro magnetic and raidiation powers, some pretty formidable powers. Their is certainly a lot of stuff that falls under the catagory of things he could do with control over those forces. I was dissappointed when he was killed off. He was obviously the most powerful of the heroes, just never explored, but then as someone pointed out back then that Ted was just a vehicle for both Sylar and Peter to get that power.

Last edited:
im in no way a sylar fan boy but in his defense on this one they way i saw the interaction with the puppet master is that he is able to manipulate and control motor functions. Sylar has telekinesis. moving your body is not necessary to make this power work. it can be done using just your mind hence the name. it is annoying to see sylar as all powerful all the time yes, and i like the character, but the situation was not completly out of left field.

That puppet dude's power is still mental, it falls under mind control. While he can't can't alter thoughts or manipulate thoughts and memories he could control an indiviual in every way. The power is cerebral in nature. If Sylar had telepathy then i could see him being able to counter it, but with TK? the puppet guy could prevent him from using his power just like he did with Merideth. While being able to control and generate flame, her power is still cerebral from the start. Just as you have to think to movie your arm or walk, it's the same with TK. In fact their was a mutant or mutate in the xmen that had the same or damn near close enough power to the Puppet guy and he was able to block Jean Grey from using her power TK. This is when her telepathy was shut down or blocked by Prof X. Someone like Claire is different cause her power is purily physical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"