Chris Hemsworth is Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Down

A New Kind of Thrill
Reaction score
chris-hemsworth-thor.jpg

Last edited:
here's the original article from Nikke Finke's site (I was just coming to post it :woot:)

EXCLUSIVE: Talk about spot-on casting. I've just learned that Marvel's Kevin Feigy and director Kenneth Branagh have chosen their THOR -- and it's Chris Hemsworth, who can currently be seen as "George Kirk" in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot and also just snagged the lead in Red Dawn for MGM on Thursday. The gorgeous 25-year-old Australian is a virtual unknown here in the United States. But he played "Kim Hyde" on 171 episodes of Home and Away, the successful Oz television series chronicling the lives and loves of the residents of Summer Bay, a small coastal town in New South Wales, Australia. Hemsworth is repped by partner and co-founder William Ward's ROAR management and Eileen Feldman's agency.
The way Chris Hemsworth got the part of Thor is one of those great Hollywood backstories that happens only once in a blue moon. Ward had found Chris during one of the manager's many scouting trips to Australia. Ward brought him to Los Angeles and really put him out there to casting directors and production executives. As for the major agencies, I hear CAA passed on the meeting, Endeavor took it but passed on repping him, and ICM was interested but dragged their feet. But Eileen Feldman got his appeal immediately.
Chris had read for the part of Thor but wasn't given a test because a casting director had nixed him early on. I'm told Chris' younger brother Liam (who's also a ROAR client) then tested for the role of Thor, but Marvel's Kevin Feigy passed.That's when Ward called up Feigy and said, "You've got to reconsider Chris. He's your guy." So Feigy let Chris read again. And once Marvel put him on tape, it was "Oh my god". Branagh came to town last week and saw the Chris test and made the final decision today.
What a week for Chris since, on Thursday, he just got cast as the Red Dawn lead. Brother Liam, who's only been in Los Angeles for 3 weeks and doesn't even have an agent yet, just got cast the male lead in Last Song opposite Miley Cyrus in the Disney film based on the Nicholas Sparks novel. Both brothers live in William Ward's guest house. Unreal!
Thor's character, in a nutshell is the Viking god of thunder, who wears a winged helmet and speaks in King James Bible-style Olde English, as well as referring to himself in the third person as “the Odinson.” He wields a magic hammer, and can “fly” by throwing the hammer really hard and hanging on to it. Not only is here the movie Thor, but he'll also be interacting later with the likes of Iron Man and Hulk. Marvel tapping Kenneth Branagh was a smart move to elevate the pic since the English helmer has so much experience with Shakespearean battle movies and has the ability to balance action with convincingly delivered old English.
Daniel Craig reportedly turned down the lead role of Thor. Names reputedly in consideration were Rome’s Kevin McKidd and WWE champion Triple-H (who previously entered the Marvel universe as a villainous vampire in Blade: Trinity). I'd heard Marvel wanted to finalize Thor this month.
SOURCE

Color me pleased!

Chris Hemsworth, huh? He kinda looks the part, but his very small role in Star Trek wasn't really enough for me to judge his acting ability one way or the other. I'll reserve judgement on him until I can look a bit more into what he's done.

How legit is /Film as a source, by the way?

never heard of him but he is 6'3 so atleast he has some height

I have no interest in Thor but he is hot so I might watch it.

He was going to get locked up for a superhero movie. This is a pretty good choice.

i am just curious how they are gonna transform him to look like Thor no idea what thor look they are gonna make for this film

i am just curious how they are gonna transform him to look like Thor no idea what thor look they are gonna make for this film
All he needs is to grow his hair out and he'll look exactly like Thor

Normally I'd say it's a bad idea casting a total unknown in a role like this, given the success of the ensemble-driven Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight. And a no-namer like Hensworth could still be a problem come Avengers - how's young Hemsworth gonna hold up alongside the likes of Robert Downey Jr, Ed Norton and Samuel L Jackson? But it's not so much a problem with the Thor movie, as if it's anything like the original script, it's Loki who'll be doing the heavy lifting in terms of acting anyway, so they can always get a bigger name for him. As long as Hemsworth's a good actor, that's all that really matters.

IF this is legit.... now let us take a moment to shed a tear for Alexander Skarsgard. :(

I have said only two days ago an official announce is near... :D

Thanks to my source. :)

Kinda strange the article doesn't even mention Skars... But, it does mention Triple-H :p

Good luck to him. Good to see he's signed up for The Avengers as well.

So let's take bets - how long until we hear that Hartnett has signed on, too?

What? The Opening of Trek was the worst part. Him and Morrison(though I still love her)

If Bradley Cooper ends up being Green Lantern, I guess having the touch of Abrams on your resume is good for Scifi films.

Hope it works out.

Oh ****! i dig this choice! :D

I literally no nothing about Thor. I hope this movie ends well tho

I literally no nothing about Thor. I hope this movie ends well tho

I know a lot. One of my faves. Any questions just ask :). Also Vartha and Corp are like Thor textbooks.

I'll star with this question: Who is Thor? lol. I dont know his origin his love interest his villains or anything. Is he like a human who shouts something and then becomes Thor? Just fill me on everything/anything Thor please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"