Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worse for those of us are finding ourselves feeling so negative about how characters we love are being mistreated on screen. This year two of my all time fav characters, Batman and Joker, were horribly done in the movies.

That really sucks!

I'm a Marvel fan who happens to love everything Batman and I totally agree. You must feel way worse though. :(

I have lived next to one for a decade. Sometimes the fries are cold, but the burgers are always worth the trip.

I feel like the MCU is Chipotle. Not quite as great as it pretends to be, and it's really just one menu item remixed, but it's pretty darn consistent, and the quality of ingredients elevates the whole thing.

The DCEU is like... a mom & pop mexican restaurant, which promises authenticity, but is run by their C-Average MBA nephew who cares nothing about the food or his heritage, but just sits around dreaming about having a big chain and yelling at his managers because they haven't brought his dreams to life.

At least, that's how I picture it in my mind.

Perhaps a food-related analogy isn't fitting, but the MCU films are, to me, like products made by a multinational corporation: standardized and predictable. When I see a MCU film, I know exactly what I'm getting. It'll be good but not great, temporarily entertaining but not thought-provoking or memorable. DCCU films have more personality and take more risks, and that means that there are more chances for ideas to succeed or fail. But I'm not bored. I think about the films and their ideas well after I leave the theater, and the films offer something new with most rewatches.

I'll give you that. My first viewing of MOS was disappointing, but my second was deeply moving. My first viewing of BvS was sleep-inducing, but the second viewing I couldn't even stomach more than 20 minutes.

As someone whose a fan of both it does suck that DCEU has this shroud of negativity around but I totally understand why. In my humble opinion, I really think the studio heads are the ones who **** the bed and caused this situation. I think both BvS and SS did not have their fair chance to have their original visions properly judged by fans and critics in theaters. And while, yes, there's definitely a lot of people who still would've had big problems with Snyder's 3hr BvS movie or whatever Ayer's original edit would've been, at least they would've been judged on their own merits and not seen as incoherent messes.

Also, I think one BIG thing WB NEEDS to do is start hiring comic people, or people who have an affinity to these characters to start writing the scripts for these movies. Nolan had Goyer who is a huge comic nerd to teach him all about Batman lore and probably helped instruct him on the history of the character and his world. People may hate Goyer but I think he was the much needed backbone for Chris and Jonathan Nolan to work off of.

Terrio, I'm sure, is a great, intelligent writer, but that doesn't change the fact that he had no affinity for comic books or these comic characters. And ultimately, even though Zack is a comic guy himself, he was working off of Terrio's story and dialogue and I think it shows in the movie. You can tell which parts are Terrio and which are Snyder's influence. Goyer should've been kept on or someone of equal DC knowledge, like Johns, should've written at least the first draft of the script. I think Goyer would've written a much less polarizing, much more "comic-book-y" film and people, in general, would probably be a lot happier with Batman and Superman's characterizations. I love them for trying something different and I personally really dig the end result, but if the end result is me seeing "AT LEAST THIS ISNT BVS BAD!" comments when I'm reading a review about Collateral Beauty then I don't know if it was worth the risk and maybe they should've played it safe.

I feel like the MCU is Chipotle. Not quite as great as it pretends to be, and it's really just one menu item remixed, but it's pretty darn consistent, and the quality of ingredients elevates the whole thing.

The DCEU is like... a mom & pop mexican restaurant, which promises authenticity, but is run by their C-Average MBA nephew who cares nothing about the food or his heritage, but just sits around dreaming about having a big chain and yelling at his managers because they haven't brought his dreams to life.

At least, that's how I picture it in my mind.

I'll give you that. My first viewing of MOS was disappointing, but my second was deeply moving. My first viewing of BvS was sleep-inducing, but the second viewing I couldn't even stomach more than 20 minutes.

Oh. Fox is certainly Taco Bell then. Most of the time it's Marvel/Mexican food INO. But a lot of their menu items are great when you are ****faced. And every so often, a chalupa/chimichanga is exactly what you wanted to stuff your face with.

ryan-reynolds-deadpool.jpg

I'm a Marvel fan who happens to love everything Batman and I totally agree. You must feel way worse though. :(

As a DC fan who has never been a fan of Batman or the Joker, I actually appreciated Snyder's deconstruction and Ayer's focus on Harley over Joker.

BvS is the film that is the most rewarding for me to rewatch because each time I rewatch it, I catch something new that adds to or enriches the existing story. It is also a film that feels more and more relevant, so it is more enagaging and cathartic as a result. But that's just me.

BvS so bad, I can't watch it a second time. Well, at least it isn't SS. :funny:

FWIW, the analogy I drew to a certain restaurant chain had more to do with the consistency of their menu items, not the quality, because that is subjective. One person's Big Mac is another person's sirloin. But when you walk into one, you know exactly what you're going to get. For example, while Doctor Strange is an entertaining film, it doesn't stray from a very familiar cocktail blend of tropes and twists.

FWIW, the analogy I drew to a certain restaurant chain had more to do with the consistency of their menu items, not the quality, because that is subjective. One person's Big Mac is another person's sirloin. But when you walk into one, you know exactly what you're going to get. For example, while Doctor Strange is an entertaining film, it doesn't stray from a very familiar cocktail blend of tropes and twists.

Whomever prefers a Big Mac to a sirloin has never had a good sirloin. :huh:

If you're talking about knowing what you are going to get, I don't know what the correct analogy is for the DCEU. Where is it that you want a simple burger, you see that the worker dropped the burger, look around and still wraps it up for you?

My first viewing of BvS was sleep-inducing, but the second viewing I couldn't even stomach more than 20 minutes.

I'm impressed you managed to make it to 20 minutes.

These execs are going to be at breaking point wondering what burger chain their product is going to be deemed equivalent to in the Hype's MCU vs DCEU thread!

Continuing from the topic in the previous thread, I think another reason why I enjoy Phase 2 more is that through cable I've probably watched TWS, GOTG, AOU and Ant-Man probably more than the rest especially Phase One who only seem to be on F/X (I hate commercials).

Meanwhile BvS has been on for a few weeks, and I watched from the beginning of the Batman and Superman fight and then turned it a little after the Martha part.

Anyone got a copy of any revised 'official' DCEU slate that's cropped up in the last 24 hours given Ben has confirmed shooting on The Batman.... thanks in advance...

It's changing every minute. We can't keep up.

Isn't Aquaman the only movie beyond Justice League that actually has a date? It's just 50 other undated movies in addition to that

There are twitter shots of Aquaman filming so after JL, it looks like it will be that and the Batman. Flash is probably pushed back to 2019.

These execs are going to be at breaking point wondering what burger chain their product is going to be deemed equivalent to in the Hype's MCU vs DCEU thread!
Phase 1 was super basic. I said it then and it holds true. You can get away with saying it now because Phase 2 and 3 have expanded and are better, it is okay to admit Phase 1 was pretty basic.

Yeah, all the rumors point to Aquaman being a very real thing that the DC Execs are super-excited for. Once they figure out that Jason Momoa isn't going to out muscle the entire MCU machine with his machismo charisma (which is, admittedly quite considerable), they'll screw up his movie in post and then scramble for some other killer app.

after justice league it's for sure we are getting aquaman and the batman.after that it really seems gotham city sirens is only one that is further along.it has both star,script,and director.The flash doesn't have a director and who knows what is happening with justice league 2.

I'm impressed you managed to make it to 20 minutes.

I didn't know it was going to be SUCH a drag. I think the first time, I kept going because I'm thinking who knows what's going to pay off, y'know? The second time, I know what the payoffs are, and so while rewatching, say, Avengers, seeing Tony be a snarky jerk has weight because you know the big sacrifice is coming, and you know you're on a journey. But watching the first 20 minutes of BvS... there's nothing there that's paid off in the Martha moment or the knock down drag out with Doomsday. It was rough.

Speaking of Phase I, they were pretty basic, and all the Marvel movies are relatively basic. In Phase I they didn't know how to juggle a lot of moving parts like they can now, which is why IM2 is so very lackluster. They tried to get away from the juggling with IM3 and Thor 2, but Hemsworth can't carry things the way RDJ can, and TDW made other mistakes. I don't think they really figured that out until Winter Soldier. And it's pretty much been gold from there.

I actually think Aquaman could end up being pretty good, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I have my concerns about Momoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"