Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forget superman returns and green lantern exist. Neither of those movies were particularly memorable.

I think part of the reason bvs ends up on those worst lists is because people had a lot of expectations for the film which it it failed to live up to.

Not many people expected dirty grandpa to be a great movie I would imagine.

A lot of people expecting it to get DeNiro his next Oscar

Superman Returns>Man of Steel

giphy.gif

Lower standards or not I guarantee that 50 Shades of Black is a worse movie that BvS or SS. On a pure film level
As film is subjective, there is no such guarantees that can be made. Though you are comparing an unfunny parody to two dramas that ended up playing out like parodies. So which failed more?

Cavil doesn't get much dialogue in the superman role. He has spent most of his two movies looking sad, scowling or angry. Cavill does seem to be rather charming in real life from the interviews I have seen but the folks making these movies don't seem interested in showcasing that very much

The scene with Lois at the military base is the nearest we got to seeing cavill's charm.

Cavill has the potential to be as iconic as Reeve. Well had. I don't think this Superman can recover now.

It's frustrating because Cavill has everything needed for Superman. But this version of Superman isn't allowed to be charismatic or joyous.

People can't stop talking about the DCEU. Even here in Marvel Fanboy Central. :woot:
Yep MoS & BVS are 2 of the most talked about films of recent years here. But it's very high profile characters launching the cinematic universe of the only other huge comics house and things have been polarising so far so it's not that surprising that it gets brought up everywhere.

The interesting thing about Superman Returns is it still got a much better critical reception compared to Rotten MOS.

Makes you wonder whether WB should have instead pushed ahead with a Superman Returns sequel, instead of going the Zack Snyder route. IMO Superman was in a much better position 10 years ago.

It doesn't sound like WB has any real intention of doing another Superman solo film starring Cavill. His agent is certainly pushing for it, but while we get news on The Batman in 2019 and Gotham City Sirens, the Superman solo is being pushed under the rug.
If you go a controversial route you've got more chance of picking up negatives and will find it harder to get a high Tomatometer rating than a film that isn't very good but doesn't do as much wrong. There are things I really don't like about MoS but I prefer it to SR which sends me to sleep.

Ah I though Cavill was good in Man from Uncle. Hammer too (who was my top choice for Superman). I think both are good actors who haven't gotten much better to flex their talents other than earlier projects (Hammer in Social Network, Cavill in Tudors)

I think Hammer has proven himself pretty well. He just got badly defeated by the Lone Ranger. After that, he's been considered franchise poison. Man from Uncle flopping probably didn't help much. I think Hammer is one of those guys who won't make it as a film star, but may find some success on tv someday.

I'm already making a prediction that the next DCEU actor of 'questionable' acting talent that will be heavily discussed will be Joe Manganiello. The average fan will kept referring to his true blood performances as evidence of solid acting chops. But really, he was playing a love interest and hired for sex scenes. Was there really much to his performances beyond that?

I'm seriously hoping he isn't the main villain of the Batfleck film.

Since people were talking about Man of UNCLE, i actually liked Cavill in that, and i thought he was more Superman-y in that than in both MOS and BvS. Which is a shame cus he was likeable af in UNCLE.

Cavil doesn't get much dialogue in the superman role. He has spent most of his two movies looking sad, scowling or angry. Cavill does seem to be rather charming in real life from the interviews I have seen but the folks making these movies don't seem interested in showcasing that very much

The scene with Lois at the military base is the nearest we got to seeing cavill's charm.
I find him charming but not charismatic. I don't think he has the charisma to become a major movie star but he has the charm to get on with anyone I'd introduce him to. He's certainly likeable.

Superman Returns was one expensive pastiche.

Superman Returns – $391,081,192

Man of Steel – $668,045,518

I think I can tell which movie succeeded.

Cavill has the potential to be as iconic as Reeve. Well had. I don't think this Superman can recover now.

It's frustrating because Cavill has everything needed for Superman. But this version of Superman isn't allowed to be charismatic or joyous.

There were scenes were he was. He just came off like a wooden robot in them.

I'm most disappointed that he played Reporter Clark and Superman so similarly, with the same delivery. Especially after all the interviews a few years earlier about 'verisimilitude' and the performance being the key to making the identity work. Snyder, WB and Cavill just disregarded all of that.

Neither. Which is why one disappeared and the other ended up with Batman with no sequel for at least 6 years. Oh, and both got crushed by a talking Raccoon.

An R rated Deadpool with no China or 3D out grossed Man of Steel. Shocking when you think about it.

I think Hammer has proven himself pretty well. He just got badly defeated by the Lone Ranger. After that, he's been considered franchise poison. Man from Uncle flopping probably didn't help much. I think Hammer is one of those guys who won't make it as a film star, but may find some success on tv someday.

I'm already making a prediction that the next DCEU actor of 'questionable' acting talent that will be heavily discussed will be Joe Manganiello. The average fan will kept referring to his true blood performances as evidence of solid acting chops. But really, he was playing a love interest and hired for sex scenes. Was there really much to his performances beyond that?

Hammer makes all the right moves but they don't pan out
-Does a movie with 2 talents loved by the Academy. J Edgar
-Does a franchise film with the creators and star of a billion dollar franchise. Lone Ranger
-Does a franchise movie with a director who recently reinvented a franchise for the big screen. Man from Uncle
-Does a movie that seems prime for Award love. Birth of a Nation
-And then apparently he appeared in another movie by a director who got serious award love in the past. Nocturnal Animals

Now not all of those movies are bad to me and Hammer wasn't necessarily bad in them but I don't think they panned out the way Hammer and his team wanted them to

I'm still rooting for the boy though

Apples and oranges. Both came out during different times in different contexts.
Man Of Steel was projected to break a billion according to Jeff Robinov. That's what he sold the shareholders on.
It's divisive and lukewarm reception is probably the reason there's no word on a MOS sequel, and the reason the 2016 film became a Batman teamup/versus movie.

There are moments in MOS where I really like Cavill's Superman and find him charming.

He's dull as hell in BvS though.

TBH I rather Deathstroke in a teen titans film and not a batman film.

Last edited:
I was super excited about MoS and liked Snyder's Watchmen and 300 (though I didn't like the way 300 came off visually....don't like that technique and don't think it adds a thing to a movie). I came away disappointed. The movie was "ok" until the "climactic" scene and then I was like...."Really? That's it?" To me, that put a skunk smelling coating on a forgettable movie and I thought Cavill had very little charisma. Snyder just plain pissed me off. So of MoS, BvS, and SS, I have MoS last. Maybe it was just because I was so disappointed. I liked BvS better (maybe because I didn't have such high hopes) and SS better than both (probably because it didn't take itself as seriously; and neither MoS nor BvS SHOULD take itself seriously).

So then I go see Man from UNCLE and I'm thinking "Whoa, Henry has cool and charisma in spades. What the hell happened to him in MoS?" My conclusion is that Snyder just dropped the ball and made him duller than the paint job of a '93 Honda. Along comes BvS and his personality is even duller than it was in MoS.

My take is that this is how Snyder wants him and I just disagree.

EDIT: I hadn't read the other people talking about Henry before writing this. I basically went to the top of the first page and did a quick reply. It seems I'm not alone.

Last edited:
There are moments in MOS where I really like Cavill's Superman and find him charming.

He's dull as hell in BvS though.

I found Dean Cain charming in a few scenes he was in, but I still think he's a terrible actor and poor choice for Superman. I'm a big Superman fan. It's sad to see them messing up the character so badly year after year, especially when a studio can take a character as goofy as Captain America and make him and his films so awesome, while still staying true to the character.

I haven't found Captain America charming since The First Avenger. Tony Stark is even worse. Every time he opens his mouth it's like nails on a chalkboard.

TBH I rather Deathstroke in a teen titans film and not a batman film.

I hear you, but I actually think Deathstroke in Batman is a great idea. Now is the time to capitalize on it.
It's the casting for Deathstroke that sucks, especially if he's the main Batman villain in this film.

How can you go from Neeson, Ledger and Hardy.... to Manganiello?

That's the biggest dip in talent ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back