Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
aquaman-1484244119.jpg

This costume on the right looks all kinds of awful, but seeing it contextualized like this actually allows for me to see how they could have adapted the costume to be more faithful to the source material while not going the busy, over-designed generic armor route that they went with. Go for a darker orange, break up that giant field of color with some sort of green/gold flourishes... Idk, I could see it working.

People keep piling onto the Cyborg costume (and I get it, it's a bad design) but I'm much more underwhelmed with Aquaman's armor. It's a shame because he looked awesome in that original promo picture on the left.

EDIT: I will say though, in keeping with the theme of this thread, DC's got a leg up on Marvel in regards to doing an undersea superhero movie first. I've been dying for a Namor film as it would open up a whole other side of the MCU, but we're clearly not getting that any time soon and I have no problem accepting a James Wan Aquaman movie as a substitute. Here's to hoping the suits at WB don't **** it up.

I definitely agree that they could have gone more faithful. Not total but a mix between these two. I fear that the underwater realm will be as drab as the surface one or more so.

Matt Reeves just followed Larry Fong and Scott Snyder on twitter.

Most likely nothing, but if he's directing the Batman....

uu9pmDP.gif

I'm more excited for Transformers 5 than I am for Justice League.

It should be a poll. What movie will have the most plot issues, JL or Transformers 5?

[YT]VWJ4_wzgsws[/YT]

The more I look at it the more I've got a bad feeling about this. Plus, her line delivery in this spot is terrible.

I think Campea got a lot of **** for criticizing her cast. But I'm getting convinced more and more she isn't fit, outside maybe looks.

We're gonna get another night-time CGI extravaganza in Wonder Woman. It's like Snyder ghost-directed it.

Matt Reeves just followed Larry Fong and Scott Snyder on twitter.

Most likely nothing, but if he's directing the Batman....

uu9pmDP.gif

He would be a great pick, loved all of his movies so far. Personally gutted a bit though as I want him for a Superman movie. I am a much, much bigger Supes fan than I am a Batman one.

[YT]VWJ4_wzgsws[/YT]

The more I look at it the more I've got a bad feeling about this. Plus, her line delivery in this spot is terrible.

Her line reading is very stiff here, even more wooden than Cavill, which is odd given that I actually remember her being decent enough in BvS.

The worst I could say about WW right now is that it feels a bit like an early 00's superhero movie. I'm still holding out a lot of hope for it.

Her line delivery is fine except for "it's what I am going to do," the stiffness is just a misperception of the Israeli accent.

Listen to some Israelis on YouTube that's how they sound.

I'll point out that none of the Jewish people I know have referred to her as stiff, because we're more attuned to that accent.

You can also look up how gal Gadot sounds normally, again with YouTube.

It's equivalent to watching The Wire and complaining that the Black characters don't enunciate well. They enunciate just fine actually, it just might take time to get used to if you don't know many Black Americans.

Last edited:
It's not the accent, there's just no performance in her voice. It's flat and monotoned.

Her line delivery is fine except for "it's what I am going to do," the stiffness is just a misperception of the Israeli accent.

I'll point out that none of the Jewish people I know have referred to her as stiff, because we're more attuned to that accent.

It's equivalent to watching The Wire and complaining that the Black characters don't enunciate well. They enunciate just fine actually, it just might take time to get used to if you don't know many Black Americans.
That is not the same thing at all. The problem is she look and sounds wooden, not that she isn't enunciating well. Her concentration on enunciation might be the problem though.

Last edited:
It's not the accent, there's just no performance in her voice. It's flat and monotoned.

That's just the way Israelis can sound to the untrained ear.

I've never heard this complaint from people who know any Israelis.

The audience is composed overwhelmingly of untrained ears.

There's a lot of cultural input as to how emotion is communicated. To many Italians, for example, WASPs come off as having no emotions. It's a common stereotype.

Israelis are expressive in my experience, also very assertive. The accent is just exceptionally thick.

That's fine, but it's sounding like another DCEU film where all the "character development" is only accessible to a small group of people who have the necessary experience to project emotions onto the character.

The audience is composed overwhelmingly of untrained ears.

Fair enough so maybe Hollywood should just keep sticking to the same few accents.

In a country where foreign films account for 1% of domestic gross we should keep expectations extremely low.

They probably should have hired a WASP to play Wonder Woman and had her speak with a London accent.

That's fine, but it's sounding like another DCEU film where all the "character development" is only accessible to a small group of people who have the necessary experience to project emotions onto the character.

Not at all.

BvS and MoS required expertise in the mythology. That's a totally different thing. I doubt WW will require the same as she's an unknown character -- ask 20 strangers to name a single WW supporting character lol.

At worst they might expect audiences to be familiar with WW1, which would be a mistake as audiences don't know anything about WW1.

How long before the racist card is pulled on anyone saying Gal's acting is wooden? That feels like where this is headed.

The wire comparison is way off and I for one have seen enough israeli actors perform and I don't think it's got anything to do with the way they speak; but more to do with Gadot's performance and delivery lacking and being a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"