Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers as just a visual to get my point across. I can use the exact same argument without numbers. The vast majority of the MCU are good/great movies. There, exact same argument without numbers.
And I say the vast majority are mediocre to average, with some really good ones and a couple awful ones.

Which ones would you actually call awful movies?

Which ones would you actually call awful movies?
The Dark World is a bad movie. Iron Man 2 is pretty bad (Hammer aside). TIH is sort of there. Not horrible, not good. If you told me it was a television flick, I'd believe you if not for the Hulk's CGI. Thor has some of my favorite scenes, but it 85% first draft stuff. It does have the father and sons narrative, which saves it in my eyes. That stuff really works, so the rest of the movie being put together haphazardly gets a mental pass for me. After initially really liking it (more then the first film), I am firmly in the AoU isn't a good movie camp.

The thing is outside of TDW, I like pretty much all the movies to varying degrees. But that doesn't make them all "good" in my eyes. I am looking at you Hobbit trilogy. :argh:

Last edited:
The Dark World is a bad movie. Iron Man 2 is pretty bad (Hammer aside). TIH is sort of there. Not horrible, not good. If you told me it was a television flick, I'd believe you if not for the Hulk's CGI. Thor has some of favorite scenes, but it 85% first draft stuff. But it does have the father and sons narrative, which saves it in my eyes. That stuff really works, so the rest of the movie being put together haphazardly gets a mental pass for me. After initially really liking it (more then the first film), I am firmly in the AoU isn't a good movie camp.

The thing is outside of TDW, I like pretty much all the movies to varying degrees. But that doesn't make them all "good" in my eyes. I am looking at you Hobbit trilogy. :argh:

I'm getting that urge to strangle Peter Jackson again. I wasn't overly happy with the LotR trilogy so that tells you what kind of frelling purist I am. Tell the story the way it happened in real life is what I say. :woot:

I'm getting that urge to strangle Peter Jackson again. I wasn't overly happy with the LotR trilogy so that tells you what kind of frelling purist I am. Tell the story the way it happened in real life is what I say. :woot:
Fellowship is one of my favorite films (also probably the most faithful when you think about it) and I adore Towers. After that, it is pretty downhill for me.

I don't think the MCU has made an outright bad movie. For me IM2 and TDW are more mediocre than anything. Though I do like TDW more than the first Thor.

I don't think the MCU has made an outright bad movie. For me IM2 and TDW are more mediocre than anything. Though I do like TDW more than the first Thor.
What happens in TDW? Think about it. What really happens and how much of that do you consider good?

Fellowship is one of my favorite films (also probably the most faithful when you think about it) and I adore Towers. After that, it is pretty downhill for me.

No Farmer Maggot, no Tom Bombadil, a bad job of the meeting with the Elves, no Fog on the Barrow Downs, Arwen as Glorfindel....sacrilege I say SACRILEGE!!!

What happens in TDW? Think about it. What really happens and how much of that do you consider good?

Nothing. It was a filler only used to introduce the reality stone. And that's fair. I just found it more enjoyable than the first movie.

No Farmer Maggot, no Tom Bombadil, a bad job of the meeting with the Elves, no Fog on the Barrow Downs, Arwen as Glorfindel....sacrilege I say SACRILEGE!!!
Yeah, the Arwen thing has always been the, "I get it, but why" moment for me. :funny:

Yeah, the Arwen thing has always been the, "I get it, but why" moment for me. :funny:

Man!! It's sure easy to get you off topic. :o

I recognize that TDW was not one of Marvel's best, but I liked it okay. I liked the first one better and hope to like the third one WAY more. There's so much potential with Thor and, to this date, a lot of it has been wasted.

Same with DS. There's SO much cool stuff they can do. I really liked the first one, but hope the next one is just crazy good.

Man!! It's sure easy to get you off topic. :o

I recognize that TDW was not one of Marvel's best, but I liked it okay. I liked the first one better and hope to like the third one WAY more. There's so much potential with Thor and, to this date, a lot of it has been wasted.

Same with DS. There's SO much cool stuff they can do. I really liked the first one, but hope the next one is just crazy good.
I don't like TDW, but I do not begrudge anyone who does. It never worked for me, and it has only gotten worst in my estimation. I loved me some Doctor Strange. It is a super lightweight film, so how "good" it is. Well that is definitely up for debate. But I enjoy. Now I hope they make a really good Strange movie though, like they did with Cap.

Interesting exercise. Looking at the 14 MCU movies and how you felt about them then and now:

Iron Man
Then: Really enjoyed it.
Now: I think it has grown as a film in my view. Like it as much, if not more.

The Incredible Hulk
Then: Fun bit of filler. Probably Ang Lee's film better.
Now: Well I still like the joke in the Avengers.

Iron Man 2
Then: Bored, but hey it has Scarlett and Rockwell, plus the drone fight.
Now: Bored, but hey it has Scarlett and Rockwell, plus the drone fight. Also I now notice Kate Mara had a cameo.

Thor
Then: Probably one of my favorite superhero flicks, with one of my favorite scenes in the genre.
Now: Still love the Thor, Loki and Odin dynamic. Still has one of my favorite scenes in the genre. But outside of that, not much I enjoy.

The First Avenger
Then: Loved the cast, loved the first two acts, and really enjoyed the finale. The Peggy/Steve relationship made it one of my favorites.
Now: Love the cast, love the first two acts, and really enjoy the finale. I like the Peggy/Steve relationship even more now.

Avengers
Then: Good, if not a bit too Whedon and TV in its look. Love the third act though.
Now: Good. Still love that third act. Still wish the film looked better.

Iron Man 3
Then: Letdown by the "reveal", leading me to not like the movie all that much outside of the action and the banter.
Now: I appreciate it a lot more. The main baddie is still blah, but I enjoy it as the buddy cop flick it ended up being.

The Dark World
Then: Well it was kind of funny.
Now: Was it really that funny?

The Winter Soldier
Then: A really good spy thriller, with the best action in the MCU so far. Elevated Widow in my eyes.
Now: A really good sphy thriller, with some of the best action in the MCU so far. Still love Widow here.

GotG
Then: Maybe the most fun I have had with a MCU movie. Gamora is a problem.
Now: Definitely the most fun I have had with a MCU movie. Gamora is a still a problem, but the good far outweighs that problem.

AoU
Then: Really good. Liked it a lot better then the Avengers. A better take on the same movie really.
Now: Pretty poor. The novelty wore off. Made me appreciate the first film more.

Ant-Man
Then: Really funny, love the good guys here, if only Edgar Wright had made it...
Now: Really funny, love the good guys here, if only Edgar Wright had made it...

Civil War
Then: Perhaps the most "comic book" movie, and all he better for it.
Now: Holds up quite well on repeated viewing.

Doctor Strange
Then: A lesser Iron Man. Fantastic casting.
Now: A lesser Iron Man, fantastic casting, wish they had done more. Missing 15 mins.

I

Ant-Man
Then: Really funny, love the good guys here, if only Edgar Wright had made it...
Now: Really funny, love the good guys here, if only Edgar Wright had made it...

Yeah, that last part keeps me from enjoying it. I can easily recognize shots that were storyboarded by Wright. But not executed by Wright. It's like how Agents of Shield felt like an imitation Whedon show. A lot of the same ideas, but executed in just enough of a different way to be noticeable.

Yeah, that last part keeps me from enjoying it. I can easily recognize shots that were storyboarded by Wright. But not executed by Wright. It's like how Agents of Shield felt like an imitation Whedon show. A lot of the same ideas, but executed in just enough of a different way to be noticeable.
Exactly. Like I kind of know how Wright would have done this and how it would have been better.

The Dark World is a bad movie. Iron Man 2 is pretty bad (Hammer aside). TIH is sort of there. Not horrible, not good. If you told me it was a television flick, I'd believe you if not for the Hulk's CGI.
This opinion makes me go between sad to angry.
Times like this make me hate being a certain degree of fanboy.

Mark it in your calendar boys and girls, Logan is getting a black and white theater release May 16th.

Only US though.

If Thor : Dark World is a bad movie?

What's that say about BvS and SS?

Or Batman and Robin, Elektra, Green Lantern, Catwoman, etc.?

Thor 2 isn't bad if you don't take it seriously. That's how I ended up enjoying it. 5 mins in I knew the film was going to be ridiculous so I switched my brain off.

Its not IMO. Its just mediocre. The movie needed another script over haul. You can clearly see the parts Whedon wrote. And that's a problem because those were the best parts. Whedon should have written the film.

My biggest problem with The Dark World is how lacklusterly it portrayed the reality stone. Hopefully Thanos knows how to use it.

Or any Fantasic Four movie. Or X-Men Apocalypse. Or X-men Origins Wolverine. Or Man of Steel. Or any Spider-man movie since 2007.

The genre is honestly pretty "meh" as a whole, which is why Marvel's weakest efforts don't look so bad when you stop to think about it.

Last edited:
Or any Fantasic Four movie. Or X-Men Apocalypse. Or X-men Origins Wolverine. Or Man of Steel. Or any Spider-man movie since 2007.

The genre is honestly pretty "meh" as a whole, which is why Marvel's weakest efforts don't look so bad when you stop to think about it.

Spider-Man 3 is definitely worse than TASM1.

Tbh I might actually prefer TASM2 over SM3 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"