Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Ledger though it feels like a reach since Christopher Nolan co-wrote all of Ledger's lines and directed it. And he intentionally crafted the film around the Joker, so like the shark in Jaws you see relatively very little of him, but every time he appears it has drastic impact on the narrative and constantly changes its gears.

Saying that the actor or character makes the movie is a bit silly since the movie is built around him and a variety of protagonists reacting. It is very much like saying, well if there was no shark in Jaws, you would not have the same movie. No kidding.

Odd choice of retort regarding that he was written to fit in the movie when one of my examples was that there are those that don't think he was written that well, but acted very well.

Guys, I cannot believe people say music in MCU is meh.

Ok, Zimmer's and J XL's stuff in MoS and BvS is just stellar, but I was listening to Silvestri's TFA and TA scores and they are fantastic too, the themes are so strong. Also Doyle's Thor and Tyler's GotG Vol 1 score are very good too, for example...

I wish Silvestri was composing for some DCEU films, he's great. But he's working on Infinity War, so at least that's that. :woot:

Yes! I agree very much. I wouldn't say Marvel's scores are quite on par with something like Star Wars or Indiana Jones, but in Marvel's defense very few (if any) modern movie scores are as memorable as the scores from 70s and 80s movies. I walked out of Doctor Strange remembering Strange's theme music, and that "Master of the Mystic" theme. I also like the Captain America theme and the Guardians theme.

I will admit that Marvel's scores can be a bit 'Hollywood action movie generic' at times, but I'd prefer Marvel's soundtracks to the soundtracks from, say, Transformers or the Star Trek reboots.

The MCU scores aren't terrible, I can only really think of one time it took me out of a scene a little and that's because it was just really similar to something else rather than jarringly bad, but they're rarely more than serviceable, I think. The Captain America theme is good though, and I remember really liking Djawadi's Iron Man score.

A lot of the complaints about the MCU are far exaggerated especially about the scores and villains. But at least those complaints aren't as contrived as the spiel about how safe and predictable the movies are.

The one I completely agree with though is about the overdone humor. It's no coincidence that the weakest MCU movies are the ones that rely most on gags and sitcom humor.

MCU music isn't memorable to me, not that that's some huge condemnation. With film score, I remember music that I would like to listen to outside of a movie, or stuff from certain classic movies or really well known themes, and then occasionally something like the Wonder Woman theme will stick out to me because it's pulse-pounding or whatever. The rest is usually fine, but then it's there to back up the movie, and when the movie's over I push it out of mind. That's where I would place MCU scores.

The one I completely agree with though is about the overdone humor. It's no coincidence that the weakest MCU movies are the ones that rely most on gags and sitcom humor.
I haven't seen that as being the widely accepted cause of weakest.
For the MCU, to the contrary, apparently.

I haven't seen that as being the widely accepted cause of weakest.
For the MCU, to the contrary, apparently.

Just saying for me personally. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are the worst offenders, and even in good movies like AOU and GOTG Vol 2 my biggest complaint is with the humor.

I haven't really been humming that much superhero music after the first time I've seen the movies in general. The ones I remember having done after are both Thor movies and The Avengers.

When thinking about it I don't really remember the last time I felt that someone had made a really iconic score for a movie, if I disregard using a lot of normal songs in the way Tarantino does. It might be Pirates of the Caribbean that was the last time I had that kind of feel. (although slightly cheating as the main theme is ripped from Gladiator)

Just saying for me personally. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are the worst offenders, and even in good movies like AOU and GOTG Vol 2 my biggest complaint is with the humor.

It's just not a complaint that suddenly became a thing for the MCU when the weakest come to mind. They have been reliant on gags and sitcom humor. The "most reliant" coincidentally happen to be the most successful.

Mjölnir;35300231 said:
Odd choice of retort regarding that he was written to fit in the movie when one of my examples was that there are those that don't think he was written that well, but acted very well.

And that to me is silly. Ledger gave a tremendous performance likely beyond anyone's expectation, including Nolan's. Even so, the reason the character worked so well in the film and Ledger could devour it is how he was presented on the page and how the film was built around him. Elements informed by Nolan and the overall tone of the movie.

To say Ledger is the only good thing about it is well...dumb.

Ledger actually directed some of his stuff in TDK himself!

Yes the scene where the Joker is holding the camera to his face while making terrorist threats. And it is great. But you know who had the idea of the Joker acting like a terrorist with his videos, as opposed to Jack the Joker going shopping down the aisle? The same one who also made a film that lingers on how disquieting the connotation is with Bruce and Alfred helplessly watching on as if this were the real world and they were watching CNN.

Ledger gave an amazing performance, but the reason the movie is amazing is also how it is used and informs everything else in it.

Last edited:
Big fan of the TWS score myself.

DACrowe: Yea, not gonna argue Nolan's position in the whole thing. He f***ing co-wrote story and screenplay, produced and directed that film, he's a fricking genius. :woot:

But still, the greatest of them all...

What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?

15.gif

I remember only 1 track from the entire MCU - Avengers theme.
If I put some effort into it, I can remember the infinite stone music from Guardians and the credits music from The Winter Soldier. That's it. Ouside MCU - The Amazing Spider-Man theme is pretty memorable IMO.

On DC side... Zimmer stuff is super-easy to remember. TDK trilogy, MoS, BvS. I remember Elfman's music too. Especially Catwoman theme. I forgot Williams' score, I only remember trumpets getting on my nerves in Superman's theme.

And that to me is silly. Ledger gave a tremendous performance likely beyond anyone's expectation, including Nolan's. Even so, the reason the character worked so well in the film and Ledger could devour it is how he was presented on the page and how the film was built around him. Elements informed by Nolan and the overall tone of the movie.

To say Ledger is the only good thing about it is well...dumb.

There's been people saying that they think the writing of the Joker is poor, and I do have some issues with it myself, so what you're doing is just presenting your own opinion as fact, and while you try to deconstruct the other stance you're just dismissing it as wrong. That doesn't indicate that we have anything further to get out of this conversation.

TDK isn't the point of the discussion either, it was about the notion of someone thinking one aspect of a movie is great, and that making him like the movie even though he found the other aspects lacking. Even though I didn't bring the movie up, I should have known that the movie would risk derailing things into being about it.

I've never really gotten the complaint about Marvel's humor and quips. Do they have a lot? Sure, I suppose they do, but I've never noticed it being excessive or awkward. A lot of classic beloved movies like the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones use the same type of fast paced, witty humor, and no one complained then (in fact, it's part of what made them beloved and memorable).

Guardians of the Galaxy has more humor than average, but those were also made and marketed as sci-fi comedies, not straightforward action/adventure movies.

The score in WW was amazing.

I loved the regular music in the film, but I hate the main theme that they reused from BvS. Wish some of the other music became the main theme. They only used the BvS WW theme a couple of times and in the end credits.

I loved the regular music in the film, but I hate the main theme that they reused from BvS. Wish some of the other music became the main theme. They only used the BvS WW theme a couple of times and in the end credits.

I didn't know that I liked it until WW.

I like it when it isn't the blaring electric cello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"