Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming. Really liked it. It's a little off beat, it's really a movie that celebrates the MCU in a cheeky way.

Got about five hours until I see it. Pretty much just counting down the seconds now.

Seeing it in a few hours myself.

I'll be seeing it relativity sometime in the near future.... by near future I mean Saturday. :o

Hear hear.

Thirded. It was such a breath of fresh air.

I'm hoping Spidey is in the same vein as WW, a good film with some flaws, but not flaws that ruin the film for me. I'd put WW in the category of Iron Man 1, a very fun film, and an important milestone on the genre, but one that has a weaker third act compared to the rest of the film. Still a quality film though.

If HC is in the same category, I'll be happy.

Thirded. It was such a breath of fresh air.

I'm hoping Spidey is in the same vein as WW, a good film with some flaws, but not flaws that ruin the film for me. I'd put WW in the category of Iron Man 1, a very fun film, and an important milestone on the genre, but one that has a weaker third act compared to the rest of the film. Still a quality film though.

If HC is in the same category, I'll be happy.

I would add Cap 1, Superman the Movie, Amazing Spider-Man 1 to WW and Iron Man having a weak third act that bogs the movie down a little. Kind of same with Man of Steel, although first two acts werent all too inspired either. Great third acts in Thor 1, Batman 89, Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Begins, and Raimi's Spider-Man help balance it out though, in terms of origin movies.

WW was a 7.5/10 for me. Couldn't believe how much I lenjoyed if. Final act stumbles hindering an 8/10, aside, the first truly good DC movie since The Dark Knight (2008).

Do you guys think we'll get a sneak peek at Aquaman at comic con? Im really excited for that film because Wan is a very talented director and we've never had an epic under water superhero adventure!

Also wouldn't it be funny if the two characters that most people claimed would never work on the big screen (Aquaman and Wonder Woman) ended up becoming the DCEU's most popular and successful franchises? Lol

We'll get a splash of Aquaman. Just to whet our appetite. We won't be swimming with info until later.

Do you guys think we'll get a sneak peek at Aquaman at comic con? Im really excited for that film because Wan is a very talented director and we've never had an epic under water superhero adventure!

Also wouldn't it be funny if the two characters that most people claimed would never work on the big screen (Aquaman and Wonder Woman) ended up becoming the DCEU's most popular and successful franchises? Lol
I'm betting there will be something. I can't wait for that movie, and in all honesty I'm just glad that DC characters other than Batman and Superman are being depicted on screen successfully. Hopefully Aquaman follows the trend set by WW. Wan inspires confidence

I'm curious of the SDCC 17 and 18 for WB. Obviously JL will be the big thing for WB this month and maybe sneak peak of Aquaman. But I'm wondering for 2018, if they will have anything else but the trailer for Aquaman and maybe more definite movie releases for 2019 and beyond.

DCEU is batting .500 for me.

Overall I loved Man of Steel. Didn't have a big problem with the Tornado scene though I would have done it differently. The part where Jonathan says "Maybe" about the bus accident was definitely a bit of a shock to the system and a mistake but overall I didn't have a problem with Johnathan, think it gets a bit overblown, he said alot of other things that were within the normal characterization. Just don't care for Amy Adams as Lois Lane, even though she's a very good actress I just don't think she fits the part. I think they wrote Lois into too many action scenes to keep their A List Actress on screen, like conveniently being in walking distance to show up right as Superman was killing Zod. I thought most of her dialogue was pretty bad ("What can I say, I get writers block if I'm not wearing a flak jacket" sticks out as very cringe worthy as an example). And of course "I just think he's hot" was awful.

But overall, the rest of the movie was fantastic and it made me more interested in the Superman character than I ever was before. I had absolutely no problem what so ever with the killing of Zod. I thought Zod was really good, but I've always preferred unsympathetic villains because truth is, some people are just bad people and he was one of the most intimidating and mean SOBs in any Comic Book Movie. Most villains in CBMs don't come off as threatening at all, he definitely did (Same reasons I think Ronan is very underrated, minus the dance off scene where the character completely falls apart).

Wonder Woman was a good movie. As most have said, 3rd act kind of falls apart and Dr. Poison was a bit cheesy most of her screentime. But otherwise it was pretty good and while I've never been a huge Wonder Woman fan, the scene where she's walking through No Man's Land deflecting bullets is definitely one of the best scenes in a CBM, particularly the shot of her with the shield near the end of the scene.

Suicide Squad had potential but failed on alot of levels. Should have been a more grounded/real world type of threat they were up against. Enchantress and Incubus were both really bad, easily the worst part of the movie. They made a ton of mistakes with the Joker, from the look/costumes to the characterization and Leto gave one of the strangest performances I've ever seen. In some scenes he was great in others he was really bad. There were some good parts in the movie though, I don't think it's a terrible movie just not particularly good.

Batman Vs. Superman also had potential but just so many decisions about that movie were huge mistakes to me. Lex Luthor being the worst, almost single handedly ruining the movie on his own. The casting and characterization of Lex was a disaster. Doomsday was bad too, they shouldn't have changed his origin and he looked like generic monster #4 from any alien/monster movie, didn't look like the character from the comics much at all, honestly Smallville handled the character better, that's how bad it was. The Nightmare and dream sequences were terrible and an unnecessary waste of time. And again, having Lois be around during the Doomsday fight was just to keep their A list actress on screen. The rest of the movie wasn't so bad I guess.

We'll see how it goes going forward. Don't have alot of excitement for Justice League, which I never thought I'd say. Aflleck as Batman just doesn't move the needle for me, I was hoping Bale/Cavill would be the RDJ/Evans of the DCEU. Don't care for Ezra Miller as Flash, and Eisenberg is back for some god awful reason. Gal Gadot is good as Wonder Woman, Momoa as Aquaman is intriguing, don't care about Cyborg at all and don't like that Hal Jordan won't be in the movie. Just tough to get excited about it.

More interested in how the Aquaman solo turns out and I'll still of course be interested in the Batman solos, cuz it's Batman. Nightwing is another favorite character of mine so I hope they get that right if it ever gets made.

Kind of accepted that the DCEU is going to be hit or miss for me.

Last edited:
DCEU is 2/4 for me as well. Loved WW, liked MOS, didn't like BvS and SS. Hopefully I'll like JL.

DCEU is a 1/4 for me. WW is the only legit good movie they've done.

We'll get a splash of Aquaman. Just to whet our appetite. We won't be swimming with info until later.
I just don't want it to turn out to be a damp squib.

2 for 4. Like Man of Steel and love Wonder Woman. The other 2 can burn in a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"