Classic Rock appreciation thread

Dwarf lord said:
Good. I actually consider him one of the greatest classic rock solo artists of that era.

His style was pretty cool too, as well as his storytelling skills.

but it kinda goes downhill after uptown girl...

The Batman said:
Damn Straight Billy Joel is classic rock

Yes, he is. I've seen Billy in concert twice this year at Madiosn Square Garden. He's ****ing awesome. :up: :up:

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Yes, he is. I've seen Billy in concert twice this year at Madiosn Square Garden. He's ****ing awesome. :up: :up:

I really, really want to see him live. How were the ticket prices?

Dwarf lord said:
I really, really want to see him live. How were the ticket prices?

They were actually only about $ 40 a seat, I think. Pretty cheap compared to the Who tickets I'm trying to score.

Heyy I moderate both Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger's message boards now (keyboardist and guitarist of the Doors, respectively). I'm pretty psyched about that

The Batman said:
Its a shame hes such a bad driver, though

He made a joke about it. He said, "Wow all these people here tonight, with ticket prices I can finally pay off my car insurance". Or something like that. The concerts are out on cd.

BatMatt said:
Heyy I moderate both Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger's message boards now (keyboardist and guitarist of the Doors, respectively). I'm pretty psyched about that

Sweet! :up: :up:

BatMatt said:

That's cool. Robby Krieger is one of my major influences.

Dwarf lord said:
There's also no one to look up do anymore. In the 60's and 70's, Guitarists could look up to Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton, singers could look up to Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, and Roger Daltry, Drummers could look up to John Bonham and Keith Moon, bassists to John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney, and John Entwistle. All of the artists today are more or less riding on the coat tails of the idols of yesteryear. No one will be remembered the way the old idols were.
I disagree. Granted 98% of music today is crap, but there are still people that can inspire... Brent Smith and Jasin Todd of Shinedown are the frist two to spring to mind. Smith is the best vocalist on the scene today, and Todd is an amazing guitarist.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
What do you people feel about David Bowie?

David Bowie is great :up:
David Bowie and Queen, is Fantasical

Just because Freddie Mercury is gay, doesn't mean Queen is, 8ball.

Well he had David Bowie in there, and capitalized Fantasical, so I didn't know what his intention was. :o

how do you people feel about Iggy Pop?
05C%20Iggy%20Pop.jpg

He meant that David Bowie's collaboration with Queen was an unbelievable and amazing piece of musical genius, only to be later ripped off and s**t on by Vanilla Ice. This announcement brought to you by the Hype Chapter of R.S.E.I.B.W.G. (Rap Sucks, Especially if by White Guys)

For the last time people

Rap can't be compared to rock

because Rap more collectivist in it's approach and Rock was more individualist (the rock that we all remember and it rotated on classic rock stations at least.)

Rap would be better compared to disco except with an actual message (in the beginning), but the mode of delivery is the masses, and is not eccentric. It's made to be understandable like an instruction booklet, wether that booklets purpose it the status-quo (disco), pretty much nothing at all (funk), sex (r&b), or disruption of the government and social inequality (rap).

The classic rock and prog stuff (like Bowie and Genises) that survives is more eccentric and introspective, like Hamlet.

I will be seeing Van Morrison and Tom Petty in September...and maybe...just maybe...The Rolling Stones in October. Hell yes! :up:

KingOfDreams said:
I will be seeing Van Morrison and Tom Petty in September...and maybe...just maybe...The Rolling Stones in October. Hell yes! :up:

So damn lucky. Tom Petty played here reacently, but the ticket prices were way to high.

I missed out on seeing Petty down here so instead I bought the Anthology: Through the Years 2-disc set. It's a damn fine retrospective of one of America's best rock acts.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
For the last time people

Rap can't be compared to rock

because Rap more collectivist in it's approach and Rock was more individualist (the rock that we all remember and it rotated on classic rock stations at least.)

Rap would be better compared to disco except with an actual message (in the beginning), but the mode of delivery is the masses, and is not eccentric. It's made to be understandable like an instruction booklet, wether that booklets purpose it the status-quo (disco), pretty much nothing at all (funk), sex (r&b), or disruption of the government and social inequality (rap).

The classic rock and prog stuff (like Bowie and Genises) that survives is more eccentric and introspective, like Hamlet.
I compare rap to rock when its a complete and utter rip off of a rock song. "Ice Ice Baby" is just a crappy different lyriced version of "Under Pressure" by Queen and Bowie. "Come With Me" By P. Diddy is a disgrace to the brilliance that is "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.

Hades said:
how do you people feel about Iggy Pop?

How do I feel about Iggy Pop? Here's how I feel...punk rock was not invented in New York or London. It was invented in Detroit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"