Classic Rock appreciation thread

Addendum said:
And when they do play Dylan it's the same song for the 5,368,472,100,304,694th time

Yeah "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Rainy Day Women". Thats it.

Calendar Man said:
Yeah "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Rainy Day Women". Thats it.
Really? My station plays those along with "A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall", "Knockin' on Heaven's Door, "All Along the Watchtower", "It Ain't me Babe", and we even get some Concert for Bangladesh performances once in a while.

In Beatles news:
Capitol ALbums Vol. 2 is gettinG released!

B000EQHXQY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V57454122_.jpg

cav2covers.gif

"The Beatles Volume 2"

RETAIL/TOOLS
• 2 Packages: premium long box & brick
• Sales history (The Capitol Albums Vol.1) - Total Sales to Date: 210,402 / Week One Sales: 37,303
• Maximum exposure at all levels of retail
• Price and positioning, advertising campaigns, print circulars
• Promotional video available for in store play
• TV & radio spots
• Bin card, EPK, 1x1, poster
PRESS
• Massive press campaign across all media strata to create mass market awareness
• Press release serviced to all national and local outlets
TV
• Morning entertainment and prime time news/programming segments
• Promotional video will be serviced to national, regional and local video outlets (i.e. MTV, VH1, VH1 Classics), as
well as PBS, United, American & Delta Airlines
RADIO
• Radio special will be serviced to all appropriate radio networks (to air weekend before release)
• “Win-it-before-you-can-buy-it” promotions in Top 50 markets
• Specialty Show promotions (Beatles specialties, Rock and Roll Greatest Hits, American Gold, Mitch Albom
Show, Flashback, Pop Quiz)
ADVERTISING
• Major network TV ad campaign in Top 10 markets
• National cable direct response TV advertising (ESPN sports, Food Network, Fox News, Home and Garden TV,
MSNBC)
• Radio advertising in Top 15 markets (news, talk, sports and public radio)
• Targeting pre-orders and front page listings
• Promotional video, press images, etc. will be leveraged for visibility and advertising at both major portals and
smaller sites
• Online street team campaigns
SELLING POINTS • First Time Ever on CD… The Early Beatles, Beatles VI, Help! and Rubber Soul
• Available for a limited time only
• Presented in both Stereo and Mono
• 24 bit re-mastered from the original U.S. master tapes
• 14 of these tracks will be issued for the first time on CD in stereo
• Special packaging, including original album cover artwork and 56-page collector’s booklet
with rare photos
• The original albums sold over 9 million copies
• The Early Beatles includes the hit singles “Love Me Do” & “Twist and Shout”
• Beatles VI includes the hit single “Eight Days a Week”
• This is the first time the Help! Original Motion Picture Soundtrack with orchestral interludes (and
James Bond intro) will be on CD
• The American Rubber Soul features the CD debut of George Martin’s original stereo mixes of the 12
tracks (these were remixed in ‘86-87 for the UK versions of the CD’s)... and the first time the mono
mixes will appear on CD
THE CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 2
TRACK LISTING:
The Early Beatles
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/12 Love Me Do
02/13 Twist And Shout
03/14 Anna (Go To Him)
04/15 Chains
05/16 Boys
06/17 Ask Me Why
07/18 Please Please Me
08/19 P.S. I Love You
09/20 Baby It’s You
10/21 A Taste Of Honey
11/22 Do You Want To Know A Secret
Beatles VI
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/12 Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey
02/13 Eight Days A Week
03/14 You Like Me Too Much
04/15 Bad Boy
05/16 I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
06/17 Words Of Love
07/18 What You’re Doing
08/19 Yes It Is
09/20 Dizzy Miss Lizzy
10/21 Tell Me What You See
11/22 Every Little Thing
Help! Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/13 Help
02/14 The Night Before
03/15 From Me To You Fantasy (Instrumental)
04/16 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
05/17 I Need You
06/18 In The Tyrol (Instrumental)
07/19 Another Girl
08/20 Another Hard Day's Night (Instrumental)
09/21 Ticket To Ride
10/22 The Bitter End/You Can’t Do That (Instrumental)
11/23 You’re Going To Lose That Girl
12/24 The Chase (Instrumental)
Rubber Soul
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/13 I’ve Just Seen A Face
02/14 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
03/15 You Won't See Me
04/16 Think For Yourself
05/17 The Word
06/18 Michelle
07/19 It’s Only Love
08/20 Girl
09/21 I’m Looking Through You
10/22 In My Life
11/23 Wait
12/24 Run For Your Life

I know that the mono versions of "The Early Beatles" and "Help!" are nothing but a stereo mix down (mono type B). The stereo "Help!" will feature "Ticket To Ride" in fake stereo (Ugh). The mono and stereo "Beatles VI" will feature some mixes never before released on CD. The stereo "Rubber Soul" will feature the long "flub" intro for "I'm Looking Through You" and the US alternate mix of "The Word". The mono version will feature the longer fade on "I'm Looking Through You" and "Michelle" will have more echo. Capitol is a bit off when they say that all the mono mixes on "RS" will appear for the first time on CD. Some of them are featured on the "Beatles EP Collection" CD box set. Oh well. I look forward to these! What I REALLY want are the ones that follow! Especially "Yesterday...And Today". Capitol had better use the butcher cover or else! LOL!

ThePenguin said:
Really? My station features that stuff along with The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Cream, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Classic rock is whatever you say it is.

Mine does as well.

ThePenguin said:
In Beatles news:
Capitol ALbums Vol. 2 is gettinG released!

B000EQHXQY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V57454122_.jpg

cav2covers.gif

"The Beatles Volume 2"

RETAIL/TOOLS
• 2 Packages: premium long box & brick
• Sales history (The Capitol Albums Vol.1) - Total Sales to Date: 210,402 / Week One Sales: 37,303
• Maximum exposure at all levels of retail
• Price and positioning, advertising campaigns, print circulars
• Promotional video available for in store play
• TV & radio spots
• Bin card, EPK, 1x1, poster
PRESS
• Massive press campaign across all media strata to create mass market awareness
• Press release serviced to all national and local outlets
TV
• Morning entertainment and prime time news/programming segments
• Promotional video will be serviced to national, regional and local video outlets (i.e. MTV, VH1, VH1 Classics), as
well as PBS, United, American & Delta Airlines
RADIO
• Radio special will be serviced to all appropriate radio networks (to air weekend before release)
• “Win-it-before-you-can-buy-it” promotions in Top 50 markets
• Specialty Show promotions (Beatles specialties, Rock and Roll Greatest Hits, American Gold, Mitch Albom
Show, Flashback, Pop Quiz)
ADVERTISING
• Major network TV ad campaign in Top 10 markets
• National cable direct response TV advertising (ESPN sports, Food Network, Fox News, Home and Garden TV,
MSNBC)
• Radio advertising in Top 15 markets (news, talk, sports and public radio)
• Targeting pre-orders and front page listings
• Promotional video, press images, etc. will be leveraged for visibility and advertising at both major portals and
smaller sites
• Online street team campaigns
SELLING POINTS • First Time Ever on CD… The Early Beatles, Beatles VI, Help! and Rubber Soul
• Available for a limited time only
• Presented in both Stereo and Mono
• 24 bit re-mastered from the original U.S. master tapes
• 14 of these tracks will be issued for the first time on CD in stereo
• Special packaging, including original album cover artwork and 56-page collector’s booklet
with rare photos
• The original albums sold over 9 million copies
• The Early Beatles includes the hit singles “Love Me Do” & “Twist and Shout”
• Beatles VI includes the hit single “Eight Days a Week”
• This is the first time the Help! Original Motion Picture Soundtrack with orchestral interludes (and
James Bond intro) will be on CD
• The American Rubber Soul features the CD debut of George Martin’s original stereo mixes of the 12
tracks (these were remixed in ‘86-87 for the UK versions of the CD’s)... and the first time the mono
mixes will appear on CD
THE CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 2
TRACK LISTING:
The Early Beatles
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/12 Love Me Do
02/13 Twist And Shout
03/14 Anna (Go To Him)
04/15 Chains
05/16 Boys
06/17 Ask Me Why
07/18 Please Please Me
08/19 P.S. I Love You
09/20 Baby It’s You
10/21 A Taste Of Honey
11/22 Do You Want To Know A Secret
Beatles VI
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/12 Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey
02/13 Eight Days A Week
03/14 You Like Me Too Much
04/15 Bad Boy
05/16 I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
06/17 Words Of Love
07/18 What You’re Doing
08/19 Yes It Is
09/20 Dizzy Miss Lizzy
10/21 Tell Me What You See
11/22 Every Little Thing
Help! Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/13 Help
02/14 The Night Before
03/15 From Me To You Fantasy (Instrumental)
04/16 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
05/17 I Need You
06/18 In The Tyrol (Instrumental)
07/19 Another Girl
08/20 Another Hard Day's Night (Instrumental)
09/21 Ticket To Ride
10/22 The Bitter End/You Can’t Do That (Instrumental)
11/23 You’re Going To Lose That Girl
12/24 The Chase (Instrumental)
Rubber Soul
(Stereo/Mono versions)
01/13 I’ve Just Seen A Face
02/14 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
03/15 You Won't See Me
04/16 Think For Yourself
05/17 The Word
06/18 Michelle
07/19 It’s Only Love
08/20 Girl
09/21 I’m Looking Through You
10/22 In My Life
11/23 Wait
12/24 Run For Your Life

I know that the mono versions of "The Early Beatles" and "Help!" are nothing but a stereo mix down (mono type B). The stereo "Help!" will feature "Ticket To Ride" in fake stereo (Ugh). The mono and stereo "Beatles VI" will feature some mixes never before released on CD. The stereo "Rubber Soul" will feature the long "flub" intro for "I'm Looking Through You" and the US alternate mix of "The Word". The mono version will feature the longer fade on "I'm Looking Through You" and "Michelle" will have more echo. Capitol is a bit off when they say that all the mono mixes on "RS" will appear for the first time on CD. Some of them are featured on the "Beatles EP Collection" CD box set. Oh well. I look forward to these! What I REALLY want are the ones that follow! Especially "Yesterday...And Today". Capitol had better use the butcher cover or else! LOL!

Awesome.

ThePenguin said:
Honestly, in your mind, do you think the 80's really count? This is about rock n' roll not about some sweaty little prissies dancing around in cheep tight spandex.
So why are "sweaty little prissies" like Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Van Halen played on classic rock stations?

I suggest you search for a broader definition of classic rock, because it can encompass whatever you consider classic rock.

Edit: **** the Hype. :down

Def Leppard pretty much owns every '80s band (I don't count Van Halen since they debuted in 1978), with Guns 'N' Roses in a close second. Motley Crue also gets a nod, as does Poison (though Poison is never played on classic rock radio).

My Dad has quite a collection and that helped pique my interest in classic rock. Prior I was getting a good dose on the radio.Some of his collection consisted of: Iron Butterfly,Pink Floyd,Deep Purple,Jimi Hendrix,Santana, and Cream.
I've seen The Dead,The Rolling Stones,The Who, Santana and some other folks I can't remember at the moment. I think I'm done with big arena shows, I perfer small clubs with an initmate setting with big names. It has gotten way too expensive and the crowds can ruin the experince.

Whenever I saw The Dead it was great,the one time time I saw The Stones and the crowd was a total kill joy, security was tight.

I've seen the following classic rock artists in concert.

Elton John
John Mellencamp
The Rolling Stones (2x)
Eric Clapton
Billy Joel (soon to be 2x)

ANTHONYNASTI said:
I've seen the following classic rock artists in concert.

Elton John
John Mellencamp
The Rolling Stones (2x)
Eric Clapton
Billy Joel (soon to be 2x)
I'm going to see Dylan in April!:up:

Calendar Man said:
Boston is the best band when youre driving.

Boston was a damn great band.

I got ZZ Top's remastered Fandango! last night with awesome live versions of "Tush" and my fave ZZ tune, "Heard it on the X". Cool stuff.

Classic rock bands I've seen:

The Who 2x
Rolling Stones (w/Bill Wyman)
Heart 3X
Kansas 3X
Allman Bros 3X
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Rush
Eric Clapton
KISS 3X
Joan Jett
Aerosmith 2X
Van Halen
Bad Company
Yes
ELP
Rod Stewart
Cheap Trick
Robert Plant
Little Feet
...and last but certainly not least, the most "classic" of them all, the king himself, Elvis. I barely remember it (I was 7) but damnit, I was there.

ThePenguin said:
Damn right. Which leads me to my next question: Rubber Soul or Revolver?

I can't really pick. I couldn't live without either. I guess if I'm forced Revolver but it is close as all bad place.

Kurosawa said:
Boston was a damn great band.

I got ZZ Top's remastered Fandango! last night with awesome live versions of "Tush" and my fave ZZ tune, "Heard it on the X". Cool stuff.

Classic rock bands I've seen:

The Who 2x
Rolling Stones (w/Bill Wyman)
Heart 3X
Kansas 3X
Allman Bros 3X
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Rush
Eric Clapton
KISS 3X
Joan Jett
Aerosmith 2X
Van Halen
Bad Company
Yes
ELP
Rod Stewart
Cheap Trick
Robert Plant
Little Feet
...and last but certainly not least, the most "classic" of them all, the king himself, Elvis. I barely remember it (I was 7) but damnit, I was there.

Hey did you see Plant open for the Who at the Garden too?

ThePenguin said:
Honestly, in your mind, do you think the 80's really count? This is about rock n' roll not about some sweaty little prissies dancing around in cheep tight spandex.
Absolutely the 80s count. Sure there was crap like Ratt, but there were also awesome albums (Diver Down, Fair Warning, Women and Children First, 1984, 5150 and OU812 by Van Halen; Blizzard of Ozz, Bark at the Moon and Tribute by Ozzy; Appetite for Destruction by GNR; Hysteria and Pyromania by Def Leppard; Saints and Sinners and 1987 by Whitesnake (don't laugh they are actually pretty decent if you avoid the stereotypical power ballad "Is This Love" and the redone version of "Here I Go Again"); Skid Row by Skid Row (again don't laugh, these guys were much harder than their two hits would have you believe. Saw em live last summer and was shocked at how good they are) and many others. Just because the majority of the decade's output was s**t doesn't mean it all was. I mean the 70s are remembered most for disco aren't they? ;)

That said, classic rock and heavy metal rule my life. Being the lead guitarist of a local band (and singer on some things; mostly southern rock) most of my free time is spent:
A) Listening to my favorite albums and songs
B) Jamming to my favorite songs
C) In the studio

My two favorite bands of all time are Van Halen and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and they frequently exchange the top spot; with Skynyrd holding it currently. Come August I'll have seen them both live. Granted it won't be the same as when my mom saw Skynyd in 1975, nor was it the same as when she saw VH in 1984, but it should still be amazing.

I know Van Halen was, even without Dave. Sammy won me over that night, I still like Dave a little more, but damn Sammy was signing anything that made it to the stage. Including my homemade sign. It had "Right Now: Van Halen is kicking ash in Rapid (my town)" with the Ring logo on it, and I passed it up during the third song. When it didn't come back I thought it had gotten lost in the crowd. Then when they started playing "Right Now" Sammy held it up and said the same words that were written on it, and passed it back complete with his signature. That made my night, bad place, it made my month. Even more amazing was watching a 46 year old guitar god, just rip. Eddie tore a 20 minute solo that literally left me drooling. Seeing him had been one of my dreams, since he was the person who got me to pick up my first guitar after hearing "Eruption" for the first time.

My other chief influences as a guitarist are Eric Clapton, Allen Collins, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, and Joe Perry; whom I've even been favorably compared with.

Classic rock is the best rock, plain and simple, though I prefer the '60s over the '70s with the exception of bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. As far as seeing classic rock bands in concert I've seen Bob Dylan, The Dead and Jethro Tull.

I love classic rock. The funny thing is that much of the new rock in the past 2 years resembles the classic rock of yesteryear even if the quality may not be the same.

The Darkness = Queen Lite; Shinedown's f**king awesome and do Skynyrd justice...

Green Lantern said:
Absolutely the 80s count. Sure there was crap like Ratt, but there were also awesome albums (Diver Down, Fair Warning, Women and Children First, 1984, 5150 and OU812 by Van Halen; Blizzard of Ozz, Bark at the Moon and Tribute by Ozzy; Appetite for Destruction by GNR; Hysteria and Pyromania by Def Leppard; Saints and Sinners and 1987 by Whitesnake (don't laugh they are actually pretty decent if you avoid the stereotypical power ballad "Is This Love" and the redone version of "Here I Go Again"); Skid Row by Skid Row (again don't laugh, these guys were much harder than their two hits would have you believe. Saw em live last summer and was shocked at how good they are) and many others. Just because the majority of the decade's output was s**t doesn't mean it all was. I mean the 70s are remembered most for disco aren't they? ;)

That said, classic rock and heavy metal rule my life. Being the lead guitarist of a local band (and singer on some things; mostly southern rock) most of my free time is spent:
C) In the studio

My two favorite bands of all time are Van Halen and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and they frequently exchange the top spot; with Skynyrd holding it currently. Come August I'll have seen them both live. Granted it won't be the same as when my mom saw Skynyd in 1975, nor was it the same as when she saw VH in 1984, but it should still be amazing.

I know Van Halen was, even without Dave. Sammy won me over that night, I still like Dave a little more, but damn Sammy was signing anything that made it to the stage. Including my homemade sign. It had "Right Now: Van Halen is kicking ash in Rapid (my town)" with the Ring logo on it, and I passed it up during the third song. When it didn't come back I thought it had gotten lost in the crowd. Then when they started playing "Right Now" Sammy held it up and said the same words that were written on it, and passed it back complete with his signature. That made my night, bad place, it made my month. Even more amazing was watching a 46 year old guitar god, just rip. Eddie tore a 20 minute solo that literally left me drooling. Seeing him had been one of my dreams, since he was the person who got me to pick up my first guitar after hearing "Eruption" for the first time.

My other chief influences as a guitarist are Eric Clapton, Allen Collins, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, and Joe Perry; whom I've even been favorably compared with.
Now that I think about it, the more I think that the 80's do really count. There were some really great albums from that era and Van Halen is freakin' awesome. Though I hate bands like Ratt and Firehouse. Yuck!

Green Lantern said:

C) In the studio

I'm reviving this thread.

Like GL, I'm a guitarist, singer and songwriter for a local bluesy, southern rockish band and I too spend a lot of my time playing and listening to music, mostly for inspiration.

My main influences as far as guitar goes are Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Carl Perkins, John Lennon and especially George Harrison and Pete Townshend.

The day George Harrison died really messed me up. I was in 7th grade and every morning I got woken up and I went to the living room to fall asleep on the couch waiting for breakfast. Then I heard "Do You Want to Know a Secret?" playing on the local news station. As a big Beatles fan (George being my favorite), I sat up quickly and they had his picture up and under it, the caption was "George Harrison 1943-2001." My Mom did make me go to school, but I didn't talk all day. It was awful. I just went home and listened to his music for the rest of the evening.

Anyone else have any interesting stories from the death of favorite rock stars?

Dwarf lord said:
The day George Harrison died really messed me up. I was in 7th grade and every morning I got woken up and I went to the living room to fall asleep on the couch waiting for breakfast. Then I heard "Do You Want to Know a Secret?" playing on the local news station. As a big Beatles fan (George being my favorite), I sat up quickly and they had his picture up and under it, the caption was "George Harrison 1943-2001." My Mom did make me go to school, but I didn't talk all day. It was awful. I just went home and listened to his music for the rest of the evening.

I felt the same way:(

JLBats said:
I felt the same way:(

Yes, Harrison's death definitley had a bit impact on me as well, though i didn't take it as personal as Dwarf lord. The Beatles were the very first classic rock band I ever listened to, and now that John and George are gone, I always get somewhat of a bittersweet feeling when I listen to them and realize that magic can never be recpatured.

Interesting story: I had surgery about five years ago, maybe 4 1/2, and it turns out that George was actually in the very hospital I was in just days before, and that Paul and Ringo were up to see him.

Just so I could have somewhere to bring this up, who do you guys think is the most underrated classic rock band? Me personally, I always felt that The Kinks, ELO and Talking Heads never got the respect they deserve.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Just so I could have somewhere to bring this up, who do you guys think is the most underrated classic rock band? Me personally, I always felt that The Kinks, ELO and Talking Heads never got the respect they deserve.

ELO only really captured lightning in a bottle once to me, but they were still really good.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Yes, Harrison's death definitley had a bit impact on me as well, though i didn't take it as personal as Dwarf lord.

Yeah, just a few months earlier George Harrison inspired me to pick up guitar. My Dad went out and got a red Squire Stratocaster. It didn't last long, but after seeing Walk the Line, I picked up guitar again and here I am today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"