Classic Rock appreciation thread

Should I invest in getting the 3 Anthology albums for The Beatles?

Dwarf lord said:

There's some good stuff in there, but unless your a completist, it's unessential. If you can spare the cash, I'd recommend it.

Dwarf lord said:

Yes. If you want a complete and concise Beatles colleciton, they are a must. There's some fantastic rarities on there ("Real Love" is one of the most transcendent pieces of music in existence), including concert performances and drastically different alternate takes of several Beatles classics.

I had to come and show my love, for the genre, 'tis my favorite,
Indeed... :up:

I have The Beatles Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2 along with:

Please, Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Days Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Peppers
The White Album
Abbey Road
Let it Be

Once I get the Anthology, will there be anything else that I'll need for a complete collection?

Dwarf lord said:

Please, Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Days Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Peppers
The White Album
Abbey Road
Let it Be

Once I get the Anthology, will there be anything else that I'll need for a complete collection?

Maybe The BBC Sessions. I can't make a full judgement since I don't own it. You should also get Let It Be Naked.

Dwarf lord said:

Please, Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Days Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Peppers
The White Album
Abbey Road
Let it Be

That's the basics of it, more or less.

It's going to suck for us when they release the albums all remastered and crisp sounding:(

If you want to get really fanatical about it, look for a little known album called Billy Pepper and the Pepperpots. It's become legend in Paul is Dead community. I don't own it.

JLBats said:

It's going to suck for us when they release the albums all remastered and crisp sounding:(

Are you serious?!?!?! I may just go to Record Archive and sell all my CDs to get the new ones. They all go on my Ipod anyways. I may just end up doing that for all my CDs.

JLBats said:

Yes it is. :(

It's like when you buy a bare bones dvd with zero extras and at you're satisfied with just the movies until later on they release it again with deleted scenes, remastered sound, special features and all that stuff. And what's sad is the studio knows that the fans will bite, which goes to how greedy (among other things) the entertainment industry has become.

Dwarf lord said:
Are you serious?!?!?! I may just go to Record Archive and sell all my CDs to get the new ones. They all go on my Ipod anyways. I may just end up doing that for all my CDs.

Yeah, they're working on them apparently. I'll buy 'em anyway.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Yes it is. :(

It's like when you buy a bare bones dvd with zero extras and at you're satisfied with just the movies until later on they release it again with deleted scenes, remastered sound, special features and all that stuff. And what's sad is the sstuio knows thatthe fans will bite, which goes to how greedy (among other things) the entertainment industry has become.

That happened for me with French Connection. I think some of the Rolling Stones work has been released remastered, hasn't it? I read a VERY positive review that said it was like classic Stones playing in concert just for you.

JLBats said:
That happened for me with French Connection. I think some of the Rolling Stones work has been released remastered, hasn't it? I read a VERY positive review that said it was like classic Stones playing in concert just for you.

It's happened to me quite a bit with a lot of my favorite movies, namely Goodfellas, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and True Romance (I wound up getting them eventually). But my biggest disappointment is that the two disc special edition director's cut of Almost Famous is now completely out of print except on the internet where it sells for like $ 40.

And yes, ABCKO released all of the stuff from I think the first album up to Ya-Ya's as well as a few compilations in SACD. They sound fantastic. Get Singles Collection: The London Years especially, as well as Ya-Ya's.

I'll probably end up getting my favorites (Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, and With the Beatles) and then getting the others later.

Personally, I hope Led Zeppelin's stuff gets the royal remastering treatment soon. The Who's catalogue is worth one as well.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Personally, I hope Led Zeppelin's stuff gets the royal remastering treatment soon. The Who's catalogue is worth one as well.
There was a cool new box set released in the past 2 years, i own it... its gray-ish... ?

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Just so I could have somewhere to bring this up, who do you guys think is the most underrated classic rock band? Me personally, I always felt that The Kinks, ELO and Talking Heads never got the respect they deserve.
The Outlaws. Really no big hits, and they had a sound that was more a mix of Skynyrd (3 guitar army) and the Allmans (2 drummers) They are highly underrated. :up:

The only thing better than remastered is orignal vinyl. My Dad needs to get his turntable fixed so I can finally listen to "Who's Next" the way it was meant to be heard.

Is anyone else having trouble with search function?

I'm trying to find our Paul is Dead thread, but it keeps coming up a blank screen.

Joe Kerr said:
There was a cool new box set released in the past 2 years, i own it... its gray-ish... ?

You mean The Complete Recordings, the 10 cd boxed set? That was released 13 years ago. The sound quality is great, but times have changed and it could be improved upon.

Green Lantern said:
The Outlaws. Really no big hits, and they had a sound that was more a mix of Skynyrd (3 guitar army) and the Allmans (2 drummers) They are highly underrated. :up:

The Outlaws are so underrated that I don't think I've even heard of them.

JLBats said:
Is anyone else having trouble with search function?

I'm trying to find our Paul is Dead thread, but it keeps coming up a blank screen.

There was a "Paul Is Dead" thread? :confused: :eek:

ANTHONYNASTI said:
There was a "Paul Is Dead" thread? :confused: :eek:

Yeah, about the old conspiracy theory. But now I can't use the damn search function.

CameraObscura said:
Arthur Lee Died. :(

Yeah, I heard about that. Wasn't too familliar with him, but it was sad to hear nonetheless.

Shame about Syd Barrett, too. :( :down :down

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"