Classic Rock appreciation thread

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Just so I could have somewhere to bring this up, who do you guys think is the most underrated classic rock band? Me personally, I always felt that The Kinks, ELO and Talking Heads never got the respect they deserve.

I've heard a lot about ELO, what are some good albums by them (I don't really like compelations anymore)?

And IMO, the most underrated band is Kansas. Sure they have their few hits (Carry on Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind), but they have a lot more good work that that. My Dad has a huge Kansas collection and I find it to be some of the most inovative music ever, even by today's standards.

I have sattelite radio.It gives me music from whatever era I chose.60's,70's,and some 80's for me.Someone spoke of the high prices of concert tickets.When I first started going to concerts tickets were $5.50,$6.50&$7.50.the prices have gone up a little since then

JLBats said:
ELO only really captured lightning in a bottle once to me, but they were still really good.

When was that?

Dwarf lord said:
I've heard a lot about ELO, what are some good albums by them (I don't really like compelations anymore)?

Well, I myself recommendd starting off with the Strange Magic compilation, but if you're not into compilations, get everything from El Dorado to Discovery.

The IronMan said:
I have sattelite radio.It gives me music from whatever era I chose.60's,70's,and some 80's for me.Someone spoke of the high prices of concert tickets.When I first started going to concerts tickets were $5.50,$6.50&$7.50.the prices have gone up a little since then

Ticket prices are crazy. I wanted to go see The Who this December, but the tickets are 150+ for just decent seats.

Dwarf lord said:
Ticket prices are crazy. I wanted to go see The Who this December, but the tickets are 150+ for just decent seats.

My dad has this employee who always manages to get tickets to great shows, and I've been begging her for Who tickets for their show at MSG in September, but my dad says it's not looking good becuase the price for good seats is rediculously high, and even for lesser seats it's still very expensive.

To make it up to me, my dad says he'll get me tickets to Aerosmith next time they come around.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Well, I myself recommendd starting off with the Strange Magic compilation, but if you're not into compilations, get everything from El Dorado to Discovery.

Thanks. I think it partially spawns from my downloading phase. I downloaded way too much for my own. Then my friend lent me two CDs. The first Doors CD and the first Bob Dylan CD. First experience with both and I listened to them straight through and I realized that listening to a full album is a lot more rewarding than listening to random songs as you get them.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
My dad has this employee who always manages to get tickets to great shows, and I've been begging her for Who tickets for their show at MSG in September, but my dad says it's not looking good becuase the price for good seats is rediculously high, and even for lesser seats it's still very expensive.

To make it up to me, my dad says he'll get me tickets to Aerosmith next time they come around.

Poor you :confused: :)

Pete Townshend is seriously like a God to me. I watch clips online and I'm just hypnotized by him. I've broken more lamps trying to play guitar like him.

Dwarf lord said:
Thanks. I think it partially spawns from my downloading phase. I downloaded way too much for my own. Then my friend lent me two CDs. The first Doors CD and the first Bob Dylan CD. First experience with both and I listened to them straight through and I realized that listening to a full album is a lot more rewarding than listening to random songs as you get them.

You're welcome.

As for myself am more of a compilations band. The price of cds is almost as rediculous as ticket prices IMO, so while I'm probably missing a rather broad spectrum of great of great music by not buying full albums, I still manage to score a good chunk of the artists' best work.

I am very choosy with compilations, though. They have to be concise, and they can't leave off anything overly essential. I also am very particular when it comes to liner notes, packaging and sound quality.

It's all album for me. Things have a context that shant be messed with.

JLBats said:
It's all album for me. Things have a context that shant be messed with.

Yeah, my plan is basically to get every classic rock compilation by every classic rock artist and then deciding whose full albums are worthy of buying. I already have every Zeppelin album and a sizable Stones collection.

Not all bands are worthy of having every album owned. Styx, for example are best served in compilation form.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
You're welcome.

As for myself am more of a compilations band. The price of cds is almost as rediculous as ticket prices IMO, so while I'm probably missing a rather broad spectrum of great of great music by not buying full albums, I still manage to score a good chunk of the artists' best work.

I am very choosy with compilations, though. They have to be concise, and they can't leave off anything overly essential. I also am very particular when it comes to liner notes, packaging and sound quality.

There are good compilations. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Greatest hits is a wonderful album. But, like JLBats, I love the context of stuff and a lot of my favorite songs for some bands, you'd never see on a compilation album.

For example, my favorite songs off of Revolver aren't Yellow Submarine or Elenore Rigby. They're Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing, She Said, She Said, For No One, Got to Get You into My Life and I'm Only Sleeping. (LOVE THAT ALBUM)

Dwarf lord said:
There are good compilations. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Greatest hits is a wonderful album. But, like JLBats, I love the context of stuff and a lot of my favorite songs for some bands, you'd never see on a compilation album.

For example, my favorite songs off of Revolver aren't Yellow Submarine or Elenore Rigby. They're Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing, She Said, She Said, For No One, Got to Get You into My Life and I'm Only Sleeping. (LOVE THAT ALBUM)

Personally, Tomorrow Never Knows tops all of the ones you just named.

To me, a better example is a song like Julia, or Long, Long, Long off the White Album, both of which are beautiful songs but will probably never appear on any compilation.

Dwarf lord said:

Anthology: Through The Years is a much more concise and overall better compilation of their work.

And I do have a lot of Beatles album. I just wore them out.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Anthology: Through The Years is a much more concise and overall better compilation of their work.

And I do have a lot of Beatles album. I just wore them out.

Would it be worth getting Anthology, if I have the said album?

JLBats said:

To me, a better example is a song like Julia, or Long, Long, Long off the White Album, both of which are beautiful songs but will probably never appear on any compilation.

You know I actually did burn a companion compilation to 1 and did put a considerable amount of White Album tracks on them. That cd is like a best-compilation in its own right.

Dwarf lord said:
Would it be worth getting Anthology, if I have the said album?

Yes. The sound quality is better, and its two discs, so you get more bang for your buck.

JLBats said:

A lot of good George songs go unnoticed when it comes to cutting a compilation album. I Need You is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, yet it'll never be on a Greatest Hits album.

Dwarf lord said:
A lot of good George songs go unnoticed when it comes to cutting a compilation album. I Need You is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, yet it'll never be on a Greatest Hits album.

If I Needed Someone, to me, is the best song on Rubber Soul, but it always gets the shaft in remembrances of that album.

You know as a kid, I remember loving the Betles Anthology series. Those were fantastic. I couldn't believe how many alternate takes I preferred to the originals.

JLBats said:
If I Needed Someone, to me, is the best song on Rubber Soul, but it always gets the shaft in remembrances of that album.

Wouldn't call it the best (I have a place in my heart for Nowhere Man), but it is up there. I love the Bob Dylan influence in it.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
You know as a kid, I remember loving the Betles Anthology series. Those were fantastic. I couldn't believe how many alternate takes I preferred to the originals.

On one of Johnny Cash's compilation albums, it has an alternate take to The Man Comes Around on it and it's fantastic. I've burnt out on it, but for a time I prefered it to the original.

The only time I ever came close to liking an alternate take to the one chosen is Strawberry Fields Forever... the released version has that edit in the middle that cuts to a different take, and I kind of like the more fluid complete version.

Oh, and I like the version of Good Morning, Good Morning without the animal sounds much better.

Hey, does anyone here listen to Sam Roberts?

He's not classic rock, but you wouldn't know it from his album cover:

Chemcity.jpg

JLBats said:
The only time I ever came close to liking an alternate take to the one chosen is Strawberry Fields Forever... the released version has that edit in the middle that cuts to a different take, and I kind of like the more fluid complete version.

I liked the alternate versions of the following songs better:

"Yes It Is"
"I'm Looking Through You"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"It's Only A Northern Song"
"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"
"You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)"
"You Mother Should Know"
"Fool On The Hill"
"Lady Madonna"
"Across The Universe"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"

The a capella version of "Because" is awesome as well. I get chills when I listen to it. And it was good to hear "The Long And Winding Road" without Phil Spector's overproduction trumping its simplistic power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"