The Rise of Skywalker Colin Trevorrow No Longer Directing Star Wars Episode IX

If you have a story group helping to write a script, that is something cobbled together. That is too many different POVs, too many cooks, for one script. That is how things like the Mummy happen.

Again, I like Rogue One. But this is why it has odd tonal shifts and scenes that feel dropped in. Why it lacks the character work and cohesion of TFA.

It could. But I think there may be more to it. I mean with most TV shows, even during this golden age, a series has many writers, tons of collaboration back and forth re-writes and most series feel like one giant story that don’t feel patched together and have a solid feel throughout 80 episodes. I think the danger can come more from examples like with Rogue One when you have one writer, eject them, get another, and another, and another. When the old writer is thrown out of the process I could see there being more of a disconnect. Because then you have a new writer who does not understand where the other was coming from.

Just in relation to my life, I’ve written a lot of speeches with certain intentions I wanted to make sure were related to the audience. I’m not the greatest writer but more of the idea guy. I’ve had it where staff took my idea never asked me about it and wrote something that was not what I intended and a Frankenstein of messaging. However, when other staff members work with me and collaborate in an open back and forth of how to fix it and what each person is trying to say, I always find it to be where a better unified message goes through with a solid voice.

With the story group I think and hope it may be more of ideas and working in more of an open setting. I too hope it’s not like the last film where they just keep going through writers and discarding them after their version was done. I mean the entire original trilogy even TFA was written with various writers, ghost writers etc. It does not automatically spell doom and gloom. Open collaboration can work and create a solid voice. I just feel the alternative of just hiring new writers all the time, may be more of the risky thing to do. It can work, but we’ve also seen it fail as in our last SW film.

Now I know around here there is not as many folks that think so, but most critics and myself do think that Connolly and Colin have created a great film already. I loved Safety Not Guaranteed and judging from the reviews I was not alone. I was not thrilled with JW, but I still see his talent, and I hope that it can come back out in full and then some. There is no denying the man better up his game with this. I still love Safety and it seems Connolly is writing for Disney in another capacity for an untitled Pixar film. I guess I don’t see a void of creativity with them. So I think the talent is there and Disney sees something. In my eyes and it seems many critics in the past they saw it to, so hopefully LFL can get that out of them once again. If not, it could spell trouble.

I’ve seen directors go on dry spells same with writers. I am sure there are many more examples then the few off the top of my head. I mean I hope Duncan Jones rebounds as well, his last film was terrible, the one before, good but not great. I mean heck, Kershner really has nothing impressive on his resume outside of Empire Strikes Back. Never Say Never is meh, and never has been one of my favorite Bonds.

I just truly don’t think that Kathy and the others have not thought about this, I’m sure most of them are much more intelligent than myself and have really thought this through and learned from Rogue One, I would hope. Rogue One’s issues to me was not so much tonal shifts, it was more of the clunkiness of Jyn’s arc. Which you could tell they wanted as the center, but really straddled on many things. Honestly, a lot of that was felt in the re-shoots where they were having to Frankenstein it. However, Rogue One still ended up way better than I thought it would.

In addition, a lot of the Rogue One ordeal seemed to be in pure panic mode of them fixing it. It seems these guys have had over 2 years to write on IX, and we have not heard of any changes of writers, or drama. Does not mean there is not any but still. I mean with TFA there was the drama with Arndt, there was the many dramas of RO from Knoll, to Whitta, to Weinz, to a ghost write from McQuarrie, and Tony’s re-write.. So far nothing with the other films. Therefore, I hope that is a good sign that they are not scrambling to get other writers because Kathy and company are happy with what they’ve been working on for years, and have not jumped to completely new writers a few times like they did with Rogue.

With the film I figure they will make sure, the script is not that prior to cameras rolling so they do not have that last minute we need to fix a big chunk of the film.

However, I’m looking at one side of it, yeah there is the dark side too, and it could end up not doing well. I’m not just blindly saying this will be the case. I know it is never that black and white. The film could be a disaster, or just mediocre. I hope not, and I see some of the silver lining, and hope that it becomes a reality. If it doesn't, well that sucks and that's that.

Is it too late to replace him as director? I hated this choice before but now that Book of Henry is getting crucified it's making me even more nervous.

Is it too late to replace him as director? I hated this choice before but now that Book of Henry is getting crucified it's making me even more nervous.

Lord and Miller just exited Han Solo with three weeks left of principal photography, so no, it is not too late.

Me a few days ago: Well, he's in London prepping right now. It's too late.

Me as of 40 minutes ago: ...OMG please let it happen.

*prayer circle* Lose Trevorrow. If you need to keep him, make him finish the Han Solo movie and just have Rian Johnson direct this one too. :funny:

"Disney....... you still have time."

-Charles Xavier.

What's all this sudden backlash for Colin Trevorrow?

This is not sudden. That you missed the reaction to his announcement does not make this sudden.

I would say Book of Henry has thrust it back into the spotlight.

People hating Trevorrow isn't new. But it's relevant in movie news right now.

This is real life...

DEzA7OvVoAAmpXA.jpg

What a whiner. Come on, Kennedy, it's not too late.

Yeah, there was nothing in that interview that made me feel better about him. Just the opposite, in fact.

Man...I don't know. I'm trying not to just leap onto a pile-on with Trevorrow, cause honestly the only film of his I've seen is Jurassic World which I had fun with and thought was OK as a film. The Book of Henry's reviews are troubling, but I can't really comment on the film because I have no intention of watching it.

I just feel like...if the main reason for hiring a third director is to keep the short turnaround time between movies going, that is not a good enough reason. If TLJ is as good as we all think it's going to be, why not let Rian Johnson conclude the story? I'd much rather wait 3 years for another Rian Johnson-helmed SW movie than 1 1/2 years for a Trevorrow one, especially with all this bad ju-ju surrounding it.

Anyone who calls their own film a piece of art though....man, idk. It's a bit of an eyebrow raiser. I'll continue hoping for the best, but as of now I'm expecting TLJ to be the peak of the ST. Granted, it's the middle chapter and that tends to be the way it goes, but still. I feel like just how Reeves took ownership with the Apes franchise with Dawn being so good and different, there'd be an opportunity for a similar type of thing to happen with Johnson, if Disney would make room for it to.

Last edited:
Trevorrow doesn't like when he's used as an example of white male privilege but then goes on and says something like that?

I dread this more and more each day.

This is the best news I've heard in months.

Well, guys, YOU wanted this. The dude makes ONE bad indie movie and you lot started SCREAMING for him to be fired from Episode IX. Well, NOW he's gone. Hope you guys are satisfied.

Partial sarcasm aside, now if only we can get Guy Richie off of Aladdin but keep the cast....

I don't know if you could make it work schedule-wise, but my first replacement preference would be the Russos.

Just give it to Rian Johnson.

Shouldn't have been anywhere near this big a movie with very few credits to his name. Any half competent director could've done the same with Jurassic World.

I'm not happy but I'm not disappointed. I have always been in the minority that loved Jurassic World. And most hated it and then heard about him on Star Wars and wanted him off right away. I was always down for him doing Star Wars, but whatever I'm also not disappointed. Let's see who else they get now or if they'll let Rian do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"